Menu

"most kids that are homeschooled were kicked out of regular school"

This is what my mom said to me. I was flabbergasted. Only days later did I realize she probably was quoting my sister....my assistant principal in a public school sister. Ugh. Really? This was said to me because my son was FINALLY making friends with other kids that were homeschooled. My mom was worried he'd fall into the wrong crowd I guess. Which is so silly, because these kids are the nicest kids I've met in this age group yet.

ridiculous!

I've never once met someone who was homeschooling because they were kicked out of school. What a strange thing to say... :glare: I'm sure it happens, but to say that it is "most" or even any significant amount whatsoever is just ridiculous.

I was at a How to homeschool meeting when we first started, like eight years ago. There was one woman there whose questions led me to believe her child had been kicked out of school, or was going to be. She obviously didn't want to homeschool, but was at least willing to find out the details.

That's the only person I've ever encountered that fit that criteria.

My son got in trouble in K, but not kicked out. He was in private school and talked too much. Yup, he was trying to socialize in class, imagine that. :lol:

I've had a couple people call me because their kid was either on the verge of being expelled or failing all of their classes. The "plan" was to "homeschool" for the rest of the year so these things did not make it onto the official transcript; then they would be able to get into a private school. (I referred them back to their counties for review. We don't provide a shelter for that.)

Those people are rare, in my experience.

My middle dd was 'oppositional' (physically and verbally abusive) to me. In 6th grade she was kicked out of our homeschool and sent to PS. She thrived in PS until 10th-- and was homeschooled again through graduation.

I think it works both ways-- parents try to do the best for THEIR child, sometimes a change of scenery really helps-- other times it just compounds the issue!

I will give my experience in how we got into homeschooling. My daughter was in 8th grade and got into some trouble. They wanted to send her to the alternative school for 45 days and then she could go back to the regular school. The only issue was transportation. I couldn't get her to school on my work weeks. They wouldn't allow alternative school kids on the bus. Their big solution for me was to have a taxi take her to school. :001_huh: Anyways, my mom has always said she got kicked out of school but she was never expelled my daughter could have went back if she had finished her time in alternative school. So, I guess I am in the 1% of homeschoolers.

There were alot of issues going on with my daughter and she is so much happier being at home with me. I always ask her if she wants to go back and she tells me no. We are going to finish out her education here at home. I never thought this would happen at all. We have had a slow start of all this homeschooling but I think this year it is all coming together. This board has been nothing but a wealth of information and I don't think I could have done this homeschooling thing without it.

You have to consider the source. When I was teaching in public school, the only students I knew that were homeschooled were either taken out by lazy parents who had no desire to educate the kids but were tired of dealing with the district policies of attendance, or the kids were kicked out due to terrible behaviors. So, while the speaker was wrong, if you only look at her small sampling of homeschool families, then you would agree with her. Unfortunately her sample is not representative of the real homeschool community.

THat being said, I think this is the first time I inferred from a comment that we shouldn't homeschool because all the other kids are juvenile delinquents LOL:)