Menu

Have you ever drugged a kid who didn't need it on purpose?

Have you ever drugged a not-sick kid on purpose?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you ever drugged a not-sick kid on purpose?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Well, the post calling people (unbalanced? Insane? I forget the particular epithet) names implied that giving meds to cover symptoms was wrong. Also, the article specifically mentioned plane rides. So, I felt like it fit the parameters given.

I confess to skipping many of the middle pages of this thread due to lack of time. My guess about the plane ride in the article would be for something to make them sleep (and avoid having to entertain them for hours), not to prevent motion sickness. Who knows for sure?

I know if youngest and I didn't take Sudafed for diving we'd have much greater issues with our ears, so maybe that's along the same lines of "having a purpose" even if it's not what Sudafed is intended for and the certification classes warn against doing it. Again, who knows?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have given my youngest DD benadryl when she was being kept up all night by a bevy of itchy mosquito bites, but I consider benadryl an appropriate medication for that, so I voted no. I've never given it specifically as a sleep aid.

I've given *myself* Benadryl as a sleep aid, however.

Frankly, I don't find it remotely troubling if parents do this, provided it is occasional and at the recommended pediatric dose. I mean is it *EVER* really, truly "necessary"? Rarely, I'd think. I don't see sleep deprivation or being a screaming nightmare on a plane trip as an inferior reason to the sniffles in terms of necessity.

Edited by zenjenn

Too many of you are confusing symptoms (stress, fatigue, sleeplessness) with actual illnesses. If your kid is not sleeping, don't drug him. Take him to the doctor to find out if there's a physical problem. Not sleeping is SYMPTOM of something else wrong. If not physical, try a psychologist or other natural therapies before shoving drugs down his throat. Humans sleep by nature, it's part of survival. Not sleeping isn't a medical illness, it's a symptom of a variety of things.

Again, just my opinion. :)

I know why my ds doesn't sleep and 3 different doctors have recommended melatonin. There is no cure for what causes his sleeplessness and not getting enough sleep causes his condition to be worse. It's a vicious cycle. I won't say what it is, though, as I imagine you wouldn't believe it exists.;)

I know why my ds doesn't sleep and 3 different doctors have recommended melatonin. There is no cure for what causes his sleeplessness and not getting enough sleep causes his condition to be worse. It's a vicious cycle. I won't say what it is, though, as I imagine you wouldn't believe it exists.;)

Demons?

Totally. I'm blown away by this thread and how many folks drug their kids with zero credible reason other than symptoms of something they are either choosing to ignore or don't wish to work on through parenting or professional help.

Drugs are easy, so why bother? :glare:

Hows the view up there from your high horse?

Yes, I have given my kids Dramamine on overseas flights, even my middle one who doesn't usually get sick. I doubt many of the no answer people have done an overseas flight with 3 kids under 5 by themselves.

I thought the same, even with one child under 5 and NOT by themselves. One small child can make a lot of people on a flight, not just those travelling with them very miserable indeed. Try enduring that for 12 hours whether it's your kid or not and see if you still think that it should never be done.

I didn't read the thread before answering, guess I am a crazy psycho bad parent.

Yeah, me too. And yanno, I don't feel the slightest bit bad about it. I suspect those who were on the plane with us on that one occasion are fairly appreciative too.

I keep Benadryl for my ds5 because he has allergic reactions to mosquito bites. I've never used it to get the kids to sleep, in fact the stuff makes me personally climb the walls. Tylenol PM has the same effect. I will stay up all night and shake.

The pediatrician we went to when my oldest was small recommended giving Benadryl at bedtime for a few consecutive nights to put babies on a schedule, but then again, he had a lot of advice that I disregarded.

Would I use it in an extenuating circumstance? Possibly. Thinking back now, when we did an over night drive from MA to IN and ds5 was a toddler who did not yet sleep through the night, a dose of Benadryl might have allowed us to drive straight through...

As a general rule, however, I only give out Tylenol when one of my children are miserable with a moderate-high fever or are in obvious pain, and Benadryl for allergies.

No. Our pediatrician knows he has to justify medicating our children to us, and he has chosen to do so exactly one time in the past 7 years.

I don't think we even own any kid medications. (we have, but I believe it has expired unopened and been tossed)

:iagree:This is me too. I can still hear the voice of a childhood friend's father who would always say, "You don't get headaches from an aspirin deficiency." :) I love that our pediatrician (who was actually my pediatrician too since the day I was born!) does not prescribe something unless it's absolutely necessary.

Now that's just scary.

My SIL, a nurse, offered DH some heavy-duty prescription painkillers of hers when he had a run-of-the-mill headache. She was offended when he said he *couldn't* take drugs not prescribed for him due to regular drug testing at work. I wonder if this sort of attitude toward prescription drugs is common among nurses? That's a topic for another thread, if any, though...

Well since you asked..I suppose some medical professionals might tend to reach for a pill faster than others. I have met many co workers in the past who were comfortable with the idea of quick fixes with pills...but I know non-medical people who are quick to take medication that is stronger than what they need. I was an ER RN for 15 years and I hate to take medication. I will sometimes take an Ibuprofen for a headache or back pain. I have taken a narcotic once ever and that was for an abscessed tooth (ridiculous pain). So I guess I would say...some are some aren't. I don't know that you can generalize. I personally don't like taking meds.

So to address the post...I have never been on a 15 hour plane ride with a screaming child...so I can't say what I'd do and I sure will not condemn anyone for giving a child a small dose of Benadryl so the poor kiddo can rest. I do not medicate my children unless they need it...fever, headache, etc. But according to some of the posters here that would be wrong too. :confused:

Edited by tmulcahy
added a bit

I have given my kids something like Dramamine (it wasn't that, but like it....it's been awhile) for travel. I've also given Benadryl to the child prone to ear pain for flights. Not sure how that is not a need? Travel is tough on lots of kids (and adults). Motion sickness is real, and it's good to give it before the child starts puking. I had a couple of pukey kids. I was one of those myself. Car travel was a special torture for me. Nothing like the stench of vomit in a car. ;) lol

Edited by LibraryLover

No. I still remember when I was a kid and my mom gave us something to make us take a nap because my dad's boss was coming to dinner and she needed to clean and cook. Well, we slept a lot longer than she thought we would and were hard to wake up. We sat like groggy zombies for the rest of the evening. She was scared to death and never did anything like that again. I remember how frantic and upset and worried and guilty she was.

Not just no, but I have even called CPS for it. Now, this was, of course, a much bigger issue than benedryl or tylenol.

BTW, I'm surprised some people may consider things like melatonin in this poll. I have a child having an extremely difficult time with sleep these days (it was bad before, but now getting entirely out of hand). I planned to speak to the doctor about using melatonin to help him. We have to have a prescription to give *anything* (acetaminophen included) to a child.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I put yes, although it would be more accurate to say I've medicated a not-sick-enough child - not actually running a fever, but cranky enough to need some relief. I've done it for a few days to get sleep patterns back on track. Done the same for myself, too, in both cases.

I've never medicated on a flight, but that's because I've been warned by a paediatrician that it can backfire and cause a hyperactive child. A paediatrician once actually recommended something to use on a flight, although it came with the preceding warning, so I never used it.

Edited by nd293

No, but I will use symptom-relieving medications for a child's comfort, even if it's not medically necessary. For example, I might give ibuprofen for a temperature of 99.9 if the child were pale, headachy, exhausted, and miserable.

I will say that when I buy Dramamine for my motion-sick child I never, ever buy the nondrowsy formula. I don't know why they even make that in children's formulations. ;)

I put yes, although it would be more accurate to say I've medicated a not-sick-I-enough child - not actually running a fever, but cranky enough to need some relief. QUOTE]

I can do you one better. When my kids wore braces, I would give them a tylenol about 15 minutes before the monthly wire- tightening appointment. The orthodontist suggested it, and I thought it was brilliant. It really helped keep that pain at bay afterwards.

I put yes, although it would be more accurate to say I've medicated a not-sick-I-enough child - not actually running a fever, but cranky enough to need some relief. QUOTE]

I can do you one better. When my kids wore braces, I would give them a tylenol about 15 minutes before the monthly wire- tightening appointment. The orthodontist suggested it, and I thought it was brilliant. It really helped keep that pain at bay afterwards.

That reminds me of all the dr.s and nurses who said to give the girls Tylenol before and after vaccinations. How many people have done that? The kids aren't actually sick and parents don't know if they really need it. I did this at one time and I'm sure others have.

That reminds me of all the dr.s and nurses who said to give the girls Tylenol before and after vaccinations. How many people have done that? The kids aren't actually sick and parents don't know if they really need it. I did this at one time and I'm sure others have.

I thought that was because the vaccinations can cause some localized muscle discomfort and sometimes a slight fever. Since it takes over 30 minutes to take effect, it makes sense to administer the analgesic before the injections.

Edited by laundrycrisis

I voted yes... but my kids do have allergies, some of which affect their moods, and I have personally been prescribed Benedryl on a nightly basis for my allergies... so I don't feel bad giving it to them if I ever have a feeling that they need it and think I probably should have voted "other".

Adults are prescribed anxiety meds for flights and sleep medications for insomnia, so why would it be wrong for a mom to decide that her kids need something like that anyway?

Yes, I have given my kids Dramamine on overseas flights, even my middle one who doesn't usually get sick. I doubt many of the no answer people have done an overseas flight with 3 kids under 5 by themselves.

Try 3 kids under 2! Even though it was domestic I still cannot believe I survived!!!

I answered other - I've not given my son anything. But when I was working as a nanny for a family that had foster kids - I was instructed to give all the kids cough/cold medicine, whether they were showing symptoms or not. I was also given instructions to over medicate a couple of the boys who were taking things for ADHD and PTSD. Was not what I wanted to do, but according to them the DR said it's OK. I'm now not sure they were telling the truth. But I now know that medication will be my very last option if I ever have a child diagnosed with ADHD. I don't want my kid to be a vegetable.

I hadn't thought about antinausea meds. I have not used them with my kids at all, but I remember my parents giving us all gravol before a long car trip just in case kwim. I can see doing that next summer when I take the kids on a trip. The longest trip we have had was 5 hours and no one got car sick but the one next summer will be 15 hours.

See, these were things I was considering. I have had to drive and fly across the country with multiple very young kids. Often this involved motion sickness (potential), reoccurring ear infections (what I pre-treated for with Benadryl), anxiety (I pre-treated with Benadryl). My children do not have adverse reactions antihistimines, so it is the simplest solution.

I have used melatonin with my kids, but as it was under the supervision of their ped to help set their sleep cycles, while we worked on treating other issues I did not count it in this either.

I do not use melatonin with the kids to reset their cycles, it causes extreme nightmares. Which is why we use Benadryl along with comforting routines, warm milk, stories, prayers, exercise, B vitamins, adjusted diet, special comforting music and stuffies and journaling.

Again, I really think the original statement was unfairly written!;) The two examples are very different :tongue_smilie:. Also, I am using your response in a very general sense. I do not neccessarily think you are in the camp condemning those of us who have admitted to giving medicine to not-sick children. :)

Edited by simka2

I answered other - I've not given my son anything. But when I was working as a nanny for a family that had foster kids - I was instructed to give all the kids cough/cold medicine, whether they were showing symptoms or not. I was also given instructions to over medicate a couple of the boys who were taking things for ADHD and PTSD. Was not what I wanted to do, but according to them the DR said it's OK. I'm now not sure they were telling the truth. But I now know that medication will be my very last option if I ever have a child diagnosed with ADHD. I don't want my kid to be a vegetable.

Oh dear, you may be opening a can with that one. I have two ADHD kids (one on meds who has other special needs, one NOT on meds). Neither are vegetables. :tongue_smilie:

I gave ds dramamine for his first plane ride when he was little. It was our first long trip of any kind and since I get motion sick I was afraid he might too. Now that he is older and can communicate better I know he doesn't, but at the time I wasn't taking any chances.

I do give him dramamine now to knock him out when he has a migraine. It stops his vomiting and lets him sleep off the worst of the headache. He has seen the approrpiate doctors and had the appropriate tests, and all they say is "Poor kid, it's tough having migraines so young". :glare: Sympathy is all well and good, but I want him not to suffer.

Can a kid who reacts badly to Benedryl take Dramamine? We are going to Disney World this fall and I don't know what to do for my little one.

I have not read all the replys, so forgive if this has been pointed out; but I thought that benadryl was just as likely to cause hyperactivity as it is drowsiness. So, it seems strange to me that if you were at your wits end already, that you would risk making it worse. That is, assuming that you didn't already know how they react.

I only bring this up because I dread ever having to give ds benadryl because i bet he will be one of *those* children :lol:. We have not had any cause that he would need it yet, so I don't know for fact, but it would just figure! Ds hopped up on something is a scary thought :willy_nilly:.

As far as dd goes, she gets knocked out from it. She has had benadryl for allergic reactions to meds. It scares me how out of it she gets. You can't wake that girl up! So, no, I don't dare give her benadryl unless I absolutely have to.

Yes, I have given my kids a dose of Benadryl after a very long day of travel (a couple of flight, long hours in the airport).

I think it is very sad that you are making certain assumptions.

I don't know if it's sad, but it's certainly obnoxious.

:tongue_smilie: I can't imgaine flying without a Xanax and a Bloody Mary.

:iagree: When my Mom died last year, a Xanax and a drink got me through a few bad flights.

Can a kid who reacts badly to Benedryl take Dramamine? We are going to Disney World this fall and I don't know what to do for my little one.

Get some of the chewable children's Dramamine and try it out on a car ride first. They are completely different medications (eta: chemically, but similar in that they are both antihistamines), so if one doesn't work the othe might.

For long flights (especially when they were younger) I: get the kids up super-early (like, 4am), I feed them a huge breakfast with plenty of protein, I give them Dramamine 30 minutes before we get on the plane. They go to sleep almost immediately. I have something fun for them when they wake up. Paper doll books, new ds game, new app on my phone, *something*. The only time my plan has backfired was one time we sat on the runway for 3 hours before taking off from Germany. They slept the whole time we were on the runway and woke up when we took off. Ugh!!! They were still well behaved, but did start getting bored toward the end.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
Clarity

I've done the same with immunizations, on recommendation.

I don't like the use of the word "drugged" in the original question. It's loaded with connotations. I can't imagine anyone asking an adult the same question with regard to medication used within dosage recommendations (even for off-label uses). A more neutral word would be "medicated".

Edited by nd293

Yes, I have given my kids a dose of Benadryl after a very long day of travel (a couple of flight, long hours in the airport).

I don't know if it's sad, but it's certainly obnoxious.

:iagree: When my Mom died last year, a Xanax and a drink got me through a few bad flights.

We can make ourselves comfortable, but the little children must suffer. It's the law.

I will vote yes with a clear conscious! I had to give my oldest benadryl when she was a baby if we drove to our parent's homes which was a 75 minute drive. Something about the car bothered her tremendously and she screamed the entire time she was in the car no matter how long she was in the car. It was tough enough dealing with it just around town for shopping, but the hour long car drive was just more than we could handle.

Now, I did say no to the vodka on the gums when she was teething. My mom said it was perfectly natural. :)

Ooh!! I'm in the minority. I did give dd who was 1 1/2 some Benadryl when we went on a very long car trip. It was the 1st time I'd tried such a thing and the last. It had the opposite effect on her. She did NOT fall asleep. She screamed louder.

However, I will say that she was a very miserable traveler and never, never, never would she sleep in the car. She really would have been happier sleeping, as we all would have. So maybe I should have decided that she did NEED it for her happiness and then I could have answered No with the majority.

We took a couple more long car trips after that one and utilized this wonderful product called a DVD player. It's better than Bendaryl. Even and especially for 1 1/2 year olds. Don't leave home without one!

I've done the same with immunizations, on recommendation.

PSA: There is some recent evidence that giving tylenol at the time of vaccinations decreases the immune response.

Giving prophylactic acetaminophen to children to prevent vaccine-induced fever reduced the immunogenicity of some common vaccines in two randomized trials, Czech researchers said.

Following initial vaccination at 3 to 5 months, infants who received acetaminophen had reduced immune responses to vaccines against pneumococcal disease, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis, according to Roman Prymula, MD, of the University of Defence in Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic, and colleagues.

After booster doses at 12 to 15 months, children who received prophylactic acetaminophen still had reduced immune responses to the vaccines against pneumococcal disease, Hib, and tetanus, the investigators reported in the Oct. 17 issue of The Lancet. "To our knowledge, such an effect of prophylactic [acetaminophen] on postimmunization immune responses has not been documented before," the researchers said.

Although the clinical relevance of the findings should be explored further, they said, "prophylactic administration of antipyretic drugs at the time of vaccination should nevertheless no longer be routinely recommended without careful weighing of the expected benefits and risks."

IOW, it makes the vaccines not work as well.

more at link

Article

PSA: There is some recent evidence that giving tylenol at the time of vaccinations decreases the immune response.

IOW, it makes the vaccines not work as well.

more at link

Article

Wow! I didn't even know that but I hated giving my kids so much Tylenol. I stopped giving them any meds before a vaccine and they had no reaction whatsoever. The fever was the same and so was the fussiness. There was no change from the Tylenol to no meds. I realized later that Tylenol never helped their fevers so it all seemed so pointless.

I thought that was because the vaccinations can cause some localized muscle discomfort and sometimes a slight fever. Since it takes over 30 minutes to take effect, it makes sense to administer the analgesic before the injections.

Someone quoted me about giving tylenol before immunizations. That wasn't my quote. Just want that on the record. :) For braces, yes, for vax, no.