Menu

Has this been discussed? China buying land in America to make Chinese cities?

You would be better off not reading paranoid conspiracy-theory websites that fabricate and misrepresent the truth.

Did you notice their other lead story?

Part Human/Part Animal Hybrid Monsters Are Being Created By Scientists All Over The Planet

Bill

You would be better off not reading paranoid conspiracy-theory websites that fabricate and misrepresent the truth.

Part Human/Part Animal Hybrid Monsters Are Being Created By Scientists All Over The Planet

Bill

I believe we Canadians have already snapped up the good real estate.

Help! Help! :willy_nilly:

:smilielol5:

Is it so difficult to do a google search before dismissing something out of hand as pure conspiracy?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/12/31/1472023/chinese-company-eyes-boise.html

Oh, and:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0125_050125_chimeras.html

"...Scientists have begun blurring the line between human and animal by producing chimeras—a hybrid creature that's part human, part animal. Chinese scientists at the Shanghai Second Medical University in 2003 successfully fused human cells with rabbit eggs. The embryos were reportedly the first human-animal chimeras successfully created. They were allowed to develop for several days in a laboratory dish before the scientists destroyed the embryos to harvest their stem cells..."

Edited by bbkaren

Is it so difficult to do a google search before dismissing something out of hand as pure conspiracy?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/12/31/1472023/chinese-company-eyes-boise.html

Oh, and:

"...Scientists have begun blurring the line between human and animal by producing chimeras—a hybrid creature that's part human, part animal. Chinese scientists at the Shanghai Second Medical University in 2003 successfully fused human cells with rabbit eggs. The embryos were reportedly the first human-animal chimeras successfully created. They were allowed to develop for several days in a laboratory dish before the scientists destroyed the embryos to harvest their stem cells..."

I think the tone of stories link that linked to in the OP tend to make people suspicious. An economic zone is a far cry from a Communist Chinese city in the US. A chimera embryo is a far cry from hybrid monsters.

Not to say both stories don't deserve some real discussion about sovereignty and ethics and such, but the conclusions being drawn by the site in the first article are alarmist and do more to damage the site's credibility then enlighten the topics.

But, I think you're right on the Google point. ;)

I didn't mean to sound harsh but it aggravates me when someone looks at a title and pooh-poohs it without checking into it. Maybe there's some validity to the article (like in both of these cases).

Maybe not, but at least one could educate oneself. With google, nowadays that's pretty easy to do.

Especially when someone goes through the trouble to actually start a thread on the subject.

Bill

I didn't look further. I had read a few articles about it and just copied one (obviously a bad one ;)) But with as much as we owe China, I do not think this is as far fetched as some people think it is.

I didn't look further. I had read a few articles about it and just copied one (obviously a bad one ;)) But with as much as we owe China, I do not think this is as far fetched as some people think it is.

Remember when it was the Japanese...? It all started with some golf courses in Hawaii. :lol:

Remember when it was the Japanese...? It all started with some golf courses in Hawaii. :lol:

Well, I'm glad that DH and I used to be Chinese linguists and that we are starting to teach DS7 this year. He WILL be fluent before he graduates.

We learned a lot about China/the Chinese during language school AND during the work we did in the Army. I'm also majoring in Intelligence Studies with a concentration in Asian studies, and I'm reading lots about Foreign Intelligence Organizations (that's the class I'm in now, actually) and stuff. The stuff in the linked article sounds exactly like the stuff I've been reading in my class. There were DOZENS of companies just like the one mentioned in my readings. Just b/c it sounds like a James Bond movie doesn't mean that it isn't real. Let me tell you something, the American people have NO. IDEA. what is going on behind the scenes regarding International Intelligence Organizations and the stuff that happens on a daily basis. NO. IDEA. how close we get to all out war EVERY. DAY.

Just b/c things are all hunky-dory in American suburbia doesn't mean that there isn't some SERIOUSLY CRAZY stuff going on in the background.

You have to be REALLY naive (or COMPLETELY uninformed) to think that stuff like this is far-fetched and not possible. I have been SHOCKED to find out how large the Chinese presence is in this country. Our "textbooks" are basically tons and TONS of reports put out by the The National Counter Terrorism Center (NCTC), NSA, CIA, etc. I'm going to try and link one but I don't know if it will work:

https://edge.apus.edu/access/content/group/154825/Week%20Three%20Course%20Materials/NCE-V4-Ch1-PRC.pdf

Practically every Chinese university student, scientist, business person and/or tourist is suspect b/c they are the "people of choice" for the MSS (Ministry of State Security, if you want to read more about Chinese Intelligence) and other Chinese Intelligence agencies. They are constantly being tasked with collecting intelligence on us, doesn't matter how small or insignificant, it all matters. Be VERY leery of Chinese companies, they are almost always front companies or involved in the Intelligence process.

Americans have such a false sense of security. I used to have one too, but unfortunately, I lost it after working in the Intelligence Community. I mean, it doesn't keep me up at night.... but I'm smart enough to keep up with my language skills, teach languages to my kid, keep valid passports, etc.

Desires of world domination didn't disappear with colonial Britain, or the dark ages. Know your history. All empires fall, it's not a matter of if, but when.

I remember! The Japanese were going to own the U.S. As you get older you see the same paranoia about countries/ethnic groups come around again and again. The only thing that changes is who we're supposed to be afraid of.

Oh please educate me on the evil Chinese... Do they eat babies too? Sorry, we are as nasty as they, just have better PR.

I didn't say they are evil, not all of them anyways ;) But they do have a VERY different mindset and way of operating.

We are not as nasty as they are, we aren't as physically fit, nor do we have the communist "country above family and everything else" mindset that they have, we also don't have the sheer numbers they have.

My Chinese teachers told how in ELEMENTARY school, they had to do road marches and learn how to throw grenades (practiced with fake ones, obviously) b/c in their mindset... it's not just soldiers who fight for China, if you can walk, talk and breathe, you fight for China.

I'm not saying this stuff has to keep you up at night, but to write this kind of thing off as silliness is the EXACT kind of mindset that gets Americans in trouble. "We" think that b/c everything is fine HERE and good HERE that it always will be. It won't. "We" also take our American mindset/morals/values and project them on others. That doesn't work. Just b/c "we" wouldn't do x, y, z doesn't mean that someone else won't.

UGH, I want to say more, but I have to leave for guitar, store and Mom Night Out. Just please don't blow things off as "impossible/silly" without researching it first. Please remember that it's only been 70 (or so) years since millions of Jews were prodded, shipped and slaughtered like Cattle. Americans didn't believe it at first, b/c they didn't think someone could/would do that. That mindset is dangerous.

Oh wow.. I don't know whether to say "yikes!" or "whoa, cool!" :laugh:

They're doing quite well in Africa.

They are there to rape the land, take the resources... not stay. We already are doing the same, with their oil.

"Where will it all end? As far as Beijing is concerned, it will stop only when Africa no longer has any minerals or oil to be extracted from the continent."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1036105/How-Chinas-taking-Africa-West-VERY-worried.html#ixzz1U5dPVJ4O

All I can say is that once Alex Jones gets involved and starts telling 'the story'---you can pretty much guarantee there is little to no truth in it! :glare:

http://www.infowars.com/chinese-company-sinomach-poised-to-takeover-boise/ sigh..........

This sounds much better...and saner...to me:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/red-potatoes-investigating-the-truth-behind-chinas-takeover-of-idaho/Content?oid=2436095

Edited by 4wildberrys

So, they're like Americans, only smarter.

Yeah, and I'd like to know, where's the moral outrage at Westerners who go to Africa, Asia and Latin America to procure child prostitutes? At least the Chinese are building things instead of just destroying children's lives.

I didn't say they are evil, not all of them anyways ;) But they do have a VERY different mindset and way of operating.

We are not as nasty as they are, we aren't as physically fit,

So the Chinese are morally suspect because we are fat and they're not?! I also take issue with saying they're not evil but they're nasty. That is a pretty horrifying characterization of an entire group of people.

Please remember that it's only been 70 (or so) years since millions of Jews were prodded, shipped and slaughtered like Cattle. Americans didn't believe it at first, b/c they didn't think someone could/would do that. That mindset is dangerous.

So the lesson of the Holocaust is that we should be suspicious towards ethnic minorities who might be plotting to take over the world? I don't understand also the wide eyed innocence that's being portrayed on the part of the US. The US shipped American citizens off to the middle of the country out of racist xenophobia.

Yeah, and I'd like to know, where's the moral outrage at Westerners who go to Africa, Asia and Latin America to procure child prostitutes? At least the Chinese are building things instead of just destroying children's lives.

So the Chinese are morally suspect because we are fat and they're not?! I also take issue with saying they're not evil but they're nasty. That is a pretty horrifying characterization of an entire group of people.

So the lesson of the Holocaust is that we should be suspicious towards ethnic minorities who might be plotting to take over the world? I don't understand also the wide eyed innocence that's being portrayed on the part of the US. The US shipped American citizens off to the middle of the country out of racist xenophobia.

Excellent points!

So, you're defending China?

I am leaving this thread because the US bashing has begun (again), and I find it horrific. Remember that there are actually people in America who love it.

I didn't mean to sound harsh but it aggravates me when someone looks at a title and pooh-poohs it without checking into it. Maybe there's some validity to the article (like in both of these cases).

Maybe not, but at least one could educate oneself. With google, nowadays that's pretty easy to do.

Especially when someone goes through the trouble to actually start a thread on the subject.

You know that goes both ways, right? The googling really should happen before things are posted at all. Half truths do actually more damage than something that is an out-and-out lie because they are harder to spot. And yes, I've been guilty of posting things here that were not accurate and had to apologize to the board for spreading misinformation (my post was an urban myth that I thought was true).

So, you're defending China?

I am leaving this thread because the US bashing has begun (again), and I find it horrific. Remember that there are actually people in America who love it.

And loving the US means we all have to stick our heads in the sand and pretend everything is perfect? I don't think so. I hear that argument a lot, and honestly, it's crap.

Not really sure why it's US bashing to point out that the US has also participated in some pretty crappy things in the past.

Also not really sure why when someone says something less than positive about the US it means that they don't love the US.

Is debate only okay when it's bashing the evil slanty-eyed peoples?

The US *has* done some pretty crappy things, and pretending that didn't happen and we somehow have the moral high ground over every single other country out there is just going to lead us to repeat the same mistakes in the past.

It's completely possible to appreciate that this is still a pretty wonderful place to live and still think there's room for improvement or that bad things were done in the past.

Bill

Hoo-hoo-hoo. (That's not an owl hooting, just me).

You should read 2030 by Albert Brooks. It's fiction, hot off the presses, and I just finished it last weekend. The idea of the Chinese building cities in the US figures into the various plotlines of the book. I won't give it all away, but there are many other plotlines in the book that are startlingly appropos to current affairs. The writing is just 'okay,' but the story is pretty thought-provoking.

Not really sure why it's US bashing to point out that the US has also participated in some pretty crappy things in the past.

Also not really sure why when someone says something less than positive about the US it means that they don't love the US.

The US *has* done some pretty crappy things, and pretending that didn't happen and we somehow have the moral high ground over every single other country out there is just going to lead us to repeat the same mistakes in the past.

It's completely possible to appreciate that this is still a pretty wonderful place to live and still think there's room for improvement or that bad things were done in the past.

Absolutely!

You know that goes both ways, right? The googling really should happen before things are posted at all. Half truths do actually more damage than something that is an out-and-out lie because they are harder to spot. And yes, I've been guilty of posting things here that were not accurate and had to apologize to the board for spreading misinformation (my post was an urban myth that I thought was true).

Absolutely! That's what I was referring to...if one is curious enough to go through all the effort to start a thread on a subject, is it too much to ask that they do 5 minutes of poking around the web first?

And then to dismiss it based on the source or the wording of the headline.

In this case, like many others, there actually is truth behind the sensationalized headlines (both of them) and it took exactly 90 seconds to find it.

It isn't. I love the U.S., and work diligently to help make it a better place. I also recognize that we have made many mistakes throughout history.

I do chuckle at the China-phobia though. I seem to recall the same fear of Arab states in the late 70s, Japan in the 80s, and even a little directed at Germany in the early 90s. Like all nations, China will have its own issues to deal with soon enough.

:iagree: Especially the bolded.

Wow, way to make assumptions, run with them and jump off the deep end. I mean seriously, you couldn't have taken what I said MORE wrong.

We were talking about the Chinese government, not the "entire group of people" I obviously know plenty of Chinese people and don't think they are nasty. When we said "nasty" we were talking about the behavior of the government/administration. I realize we didn't come out and say that, but it's obvious that WE knew what we were talking about. This has nothing to do with race, but how very American of you to automatically play the race card.

We are talking government, administration, Armed Forces, etc. and you are talking general population.

The other poster was basically saying that she didn't think the Chinese could overtake us. I was pointing out the fact that they (the GOVERNMENT) does behave in ways that I think are worse than us, they are more physically fit and they outnumber us. They have a very large, well-oiled machine of an Army. All factors to consider when considering strategy and tactics. Our government looks at all of these factors and more when considering the Chinese threat, and they are considered a threat. I don't really care how much you try to argue/debate or spin it, or deny it, I know of what I speak, I worked in this area and dealt with this. My husband still does. So, I will not waste time arguing about this. Pearls before swine and all that.

And the Chinese are not an ethnic minority, in case you haven't noticed, there are more of them than there are of us. I wasn't trying to give a lesson on the Holocaust. I was TRYING to show that some American people back then thought the same way when they heard "rumors" and stories of what Hitler was doing. This was WAY before the stories were validated. People just automatically assumed that it wasn't true/couldn't happen/conspiracy, whatever.

NM. Not worth it. Enjoy your sand.

At least the Chinese are building things instead of just destroying children's lives.

So China's one child policy, their orphanages filled with abandoned baby girls and the country's high rates of abortion and infaticide are good for children then :confused:

Every country fears someone else is moving in to take over their freedom.

In Australia right now you can substitute the "Chinese" for the Muslims.

We used to worry about the Japanese but now we pretty much take for granted that they own most of Australia :D

So China's one child policy, their orphanages filled with abandoned baby girls and the country's high rates of abortion and infaticide are good for children then :confused:

Every country fears someone else is moving in to take over their freedom.

In Australia right now you can substitute the "Chinese" for the Muslims.

We used to worry about the Japanese but now we pretty much take for granted that they own most of Australia :D

Well, another thing to remember is.... just b/c the general population stops worrying about other countries and the media stops reporting on stuff, doesn't mean that the government isn't still dealing with it. Usually, by the time the media starts reporting on something, it's old news to most parts of the Intelligence Community and they will be "monitoring" the situation long after the reporting stops.

We were talking about the Chinese government, not the "entire group of people" I obviously know plenty of Chinese people and don't think they are nasty. When we said "nasty" we were talking about the behavior of the government/administration. I realize we didn't come out and say that, but it's obvious that WE knew what we were talking about. This has nothing to do with race, but how very American of you to automatically play the race card.

That you say 'China is doing....', 'China is [vile adjective].' I am not American and I was also confused by your phraseology.

Laura (no apologist for many of China's policies)

I love the double-standard in those jumping on people for criticizing the Chinese govt as if they were criticizing the Chinese people, yet these same people bash "Americans" for things the American govt has done.

"Ethnic minorities":glare: Which is basically the catch-all implying you're referring to all people non-white. In the world, whites are a minority. To use that term in comparing "Westerners" to Chinese is completely laughable.

Westerners is obviously your term to replace Whites as I'm sure you wouldn't believe there are any "ethnic minorities" in the West exploiting the rest of the world's "ethnic minorities."