Menu

What's you most reliable everyday news source?

What do you rely on as the most up-to-date, unbiased source of news?  

1. 1. What do you rely on as the most up-to-date, unbiased source of news?

• TV: CNN
    • TV: ABC
    • TV: CBS
    • TV: NBC
    • TV: FOX
    • TV: OTHER (Please share channel below)
    • INTERNET: (Please share website below)
    • NEWSPAPER: (Please share publication below)
    • Multiple sources (Again, please share below)
    • NONE OF THE ABOVE: I hate hearing about current events!

NPR

BBC

PBS

The Economist

Dh likes reading the Drudge Report online. I simply can't get into that -- way too shrill for my tastes. Give me a nice, reasoned argument, regardless of ideo-political slant, and I'll probably read it. I'm quite capable of forming my own opinions w/o someone shouting at me or calling me names because I don't 100% agree with his/her view point. And, again, this applies regardless of what "side" one is on.

Oh, by the by, in case it isn't clear -- I'm not referring to dh above.

NPR

BBC

PBS

The Economist

Dh likes reading the Drudge Report online. I simply can't get into that -- way too shrill for my tastes. Give me a nice, reasoned argument, regardless of ideo-political slant, and I'll probably read it. I'm quite capable of forming my own opinions w/o someone shouting at me or calling me names because I don't 100% agree with his/her view point. And, again, this applies regardless of what "side" one is on.

Oh, by the by, in case it isn't clear -- I'm not referring to dh above.

Cute one...smiley-laughing002.gif Got me laughing!

Lucinda

None of the above/other. I want to know & trust current event news.

My vote is NPR.

Yup, me, too. So my vote for "none of the above" should not be taken in the subtext that I don't care to know, just that radio was not an option in the poll.

I've been in a rut with watching CNN, occasionally Fox and going online to CNN, Yahoo and BBC websites. One of my reasons for posting this thread is to help expand my horizons a bit. I'm not convinced there is an unbiased source out there, but would love to read about what you think.

Lucinda

I agree, so I read a variety of on-line news websites.

TV: Only for local news and the half hour of national/world news at 6:30 pm. I avoid the 24 hour news channels unless something big is going on, because otherwise it is a constant stream of random junk (on all sides).

Internet: BBC, and NPR. Sometimes I'll google recent events in google news and read a few articles from there. The Associated Press articles tend to be pretty straightforward giving you the who, what, when, and where, (occasionally the why).

I don't own a TV.

NPR in the car or when making dinner

Stream BBC radio on occasion

I read every day, on and off:

NYT

BBC

Washington Post (cause my brother works there)

DailyKos (not news but analysis)

Real Clear Politics

Wall Street Journal

Guardian

Economist (listen to their podcasts as well)

And go out of my way to watch online:

Daily Show

Colbert Report

Very rarely watch online:

Maddow

I go online and use NPR and BBC. I also check CNN some and our local news website. We don't watch t.v. We live in the middle of the boonies and dish or cable is $100.00 a month and it costs even more ($3.00 per channel) to block the truly nasty stuff. So, we have Netflix and the internet.

Faith

I used to be such a devoted Salon reader, but I almost never read it any more -- I find there are just fewer and fewer articles that interest me.

We're "charter" members, and I've had a hard time letting it go. I do get a bit tired of Joan Walsh's self-congratulatory appraisals of her endless TV appearances.

You like a lot of Canucks! I can't stand David Frum myself. I wish I could get my more conservative news through a guy like Chuck Strahl. Love him.
I think that's part of my aversion to American news: I grew up with the decidedly non-sensationalist CBC news and Radio.

I don't particularly like David Frum, but I find him to be occasionally interesting, even before his recent "controversial" proclamations.

I clicked "internet" but actually, my news source has become twitter.

I usually here rumors on twitter 1st and then I will go look it up on the computer or turn on the radio news.

we don't have our t.v. hooked up, so we don't watch any news, which I find pretty worthless anyways.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd add radio choices to the poll. Sorry folks, I live in a rural area where radio reception is so poor that I forget sometimes it even exists. :001_huh:

Thanks for all the replies. This has been even more informing than I thought it would be.

Lucinda

I don't believe that it is possible to have an unbiased news source, except perhaps those articles which are the most bare-bone, just-the-facts-ma'am with no descriptions whatsoever. Everyone has a bias, and while people are able to hide that bias to varying degrees, it is impossible to hide it completely.

I read the New York Times, watch local news on NBC and FOX, and read WORLD Magazine. The local news is the local news, I think it's hard to be really biased there. I find the NYTimes news articles to be mostly unbiased, but their editorials are definitely coming from a more Democratic viewpoint. WORLD is unapologetically conservative Christian Republican.

Another vote for NPR, although I agree that no news source is unbiased. NPR isn't shrill; the news is discussed, not shouted in terror. My other news source is whatever links are posted when something is big enough to show up on the forums/Facebook.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd add radio choices to the poll. Sorry folks, I live in a rural area where radio reception is so poor that I forget sometimes it even exists. :001_huh:

Thanks for all the replies. This has been even more informing than I thought it would be.

Lucinda

You can get NPR via the web. If you have not had the pleasure of listing to NPR you may be pleasantly surprised by the in-depth news, interesting features and (notable) lack of bombastic loud-mouths.

NPR is a national treasure.

Bill

You can get NPR via the web. If you have not had the pleasure of listing to NPR you may be pleasantly surprised by the in-depth news, interesting features and (notable) lack of bombastic loud-mouths.

Bill

It is also a wonderful cure for insomnia. ;)

Except Car Talk. Love that show.

It is also a wonderful cure for insomnia. ;)

If one needs to have people screaming at each other to stay awake then NPR is a poor choice.

But if one doesn't find listening to intelligent people discussing important issues in a thoughtful fashion soporific then NPR is a good choice.

Bill

Bill

:iagree::iagree:

Also wanted to say that although the local programs are not always fascinating, their is no way that Morning Edition or All Things Considered could be considered boring. They are amazing. As Bill said, a national treasure. And their financial show is actually so interesting I really enjoy it, even though I find economics a total snooze usually. They did such an amazing job explaining the foreclosure crisis that they earned my loyalty forever.