Menu

Wow! All the notebooks and looseleaf for sale at Target are 8 x 10 1/2

Wow, I didn't even check the one's I bought to see the size:confused:. However I have noticed this everywhere and it really irks me. Sugar is now 4lbs and pepsi and coke have started to sell smaller 1.5L bottles at the old 2L prices. I would prefer them to leave the size alone and raise the price instead of being sneaky about it and making it smaller. I feel like they are hoping that I won't notice or something :001_huh:.

OMg! You're right! I didn't even notice that. (Does that make me a ding dong for having purchased some and not noticing? :001_huh: ) I guess it all stays here so it shouldn't matter as much, but that's pretty lame. How much money could they possibly be saving by making the paper slightly smaller? And the price is now .20 each. It used to be .15 each.

I also haven't been able to find colored, lined paper this year, either. I understand it may be more expensive to make, but I would expect to be charged more for it. My dd loves to do some of her work (or play ;) ) on the colored, lined paper.

now instead of 8 1/2 x 11.

Not a huge deal, I know, in the scheme of things. But man, it just feels like everything is getting smaller for the same or more money. :glare:

What?

Yep, just checked a notebook I bought at WalMart (only $.20, so I won't complain too much) and it's 8x10.5 :confused:.

Wow, I didn't even check the one's I bought to see the size:confused:. However I have noticed this everywhere and it really irks me. Sugar is now 4lbs and pepsi and coke have started to sell smaller 1.5L bottles at the old 2L prices. I would prefer them to leave the size alone and raise the price instead of being sneaky about it and making it smaller. I feel like they are hoping that I won't notice or something :001_huh:.

I agree. What really irritates me, is how this messes up recipes that I've been using for years. Like the lasagna I make calls for a certain size jar of spaghetti sauce, well, they don't make it in that size anymore :glare::glare::glare:.

Check out cereal and potato chip bags too.

This is across the market as a whole. I am waiting for them to sell gas by the half gallon so that we feel better about our purchase!:lol::lol:

What is really annoying is that they keep the boxes the same size or do something tricky like make them thinner. Grrr..

Have you noticed your toilet paper is narrower now, as well?

And Breyers ice cream, which used to be a half-gallon, now might as well be sold in a six-pack, with a pack of those little flat wooden spoons attached.

But both of these examples pale in comparison to messing with the size of paper. Is nothing sacred?

Terri

I can't remember who mentioned not being able to find colored lined paper, but I print my own on colored paper I buy from Staples or Wal-Mart (wherever I can get it cheaper). I just use a spreadsheet I got from Donna Young (donnayoung.org) to print lined paper from my own printer.

I don't ever remember notebook paper being 8 1/2 x 11. It has always been smaller than printer paper in our binders. :confused: When my girls were little, I used to print out lined paper from donnayoung.org for special projects if they wanted all the paper the same size, so i know at least what we buy has always been that size.

Edited by angela in ohio

When I was in college in 1991, there was a prfessor who expected us to follow his expectations to a T. He said no assignments were to be turned in on paper less than 8x11. Well, guess what. I thought that all paper was the same until I turned mine in. Loose leaf, ruled paper and it was small than 8x11. So, there have been smaller versions for a long time. However, I think it is much more common now.

I notice the smaller everything else too. I understand to a degree that it has to happen in this economy but while they are making profits I am spending more and getting less on a increasingly smaller budget. So very frustrating.

The smaller paper is really taking it too far!

Dh keeps fussing about how much I spend each week on groceries - he totally does not get the fact that there is not as much food in those bags/boxes/etc as there used to be for the same price! :banghead:

The only good thing about it is I rarely have moldy leftovers in my fridge, since there is rarely any food left over from a meal. :tongue_smilie:

Dh keeps fussing about how much I spend each week on groceries - he totally does not get the fact that there is not as much food in those bags/boxes/etc as there used to be for the same price! :banghead:

Isn't that the truth?! My dh used to make the same complaint about our grocery bill until he started shopping with me on the weekends. I have noticed the rolls of TP are more narrow (certain brands, at least) and juice cartons used to be 64 oz. but are now around, what, 58 oz. each or something? And the ice cream. You can't buy a half gallon of Breyer's anymore.

LOL! "Wow, I got 30 units of gas for only $65! Remember back in the day when we only got 15 for the same price??"

Stop reminding me that I started driving and paid 75 cents a gallon!

Ughhhh....

LOL @ 30 units ... that is how they will get us. Stop measuring in English measure and create a different unit entirely!:lol:

OMg! You're right! I didn't even notice that. (Does that make me a ding dong for having purchased some and not noticing? :001_huh: ) I guess it all stays here so it shouldn't matter as much, but that's pretty lame. How much money could they possibly be saving by making the paper slightly smaller? And the price is now .20 each. It used to be .15 each.

I also haven't been able to find colored, lined paper this year, either. I understand it may be more expensive to make, but I would expect to be charged more for it. My dd loves to do some of her work (or play ;) ) on the colored, lined paper.

I found some at Office Max. I've also gotten colored, lined legal pads at the college bookstore. They're not all that much more expensive than the regular white or yellow ones. My DD LOVES doing copywork on colored paper.

I found some at Office Max. I've also gotten colored, lined legal pads at the college bookstore. They're not all that much more expensive than the regular white or yellow ones. My DD LOVES doing copywork on colored paper.

Thank you! :thumbup:

I will remember that.

And I will remember about Donna Young, too.

I don't ever remember notebook paper being 8 1/2 x 11. It has always been smaller than printer paper in our binders. :confused: When my girls were little, I used to print out lined paper from donnayoung.org for special projects if they wanted all the paper the same size, so i know at least what we buy has always been that size.

:iagree:

I just checked paper I bought 3 or so years ago from Staples, and it's 8 x 10.5. I also checked the spiral notebooks I bought 4-5 years ago, and it's the same size. I don't recall notebook paper every being 8.5 x 11.

I agree everything is shrinking. I still have some really old notebooks around from 2003ish and they were 10 1/2 x 8. I know I got them from Target, I think they were the ones that came in a 5pack.

Did you notice they were selling them individually this year and not in the 5 pack?

A couple years ago I bought 2 packs of filler paper and the majority of them only had lines on one side. Misprint. Argh!:glare: A whole other story though....

They have the 5 packs, but they aren't on sale yet-they cost the same as 5 singletons.

Around here, the 5 packs always are available in large quantities in Mid September/early October at 75% off. I think it's because so many school supply lists are specific about the colors kids have to have, so parents don't buy the bundles. The same with pocket folders (which I use for my music students).

and watch your unit pricing like a hawk. I have noticed several occasions where the family sized item was more per ounce/lb/what have you than a smaller item. I used to just reach for the biggest box for some items but I can't do that any more.

I have noticed that, too. You will find me in the grocery aisles with my cell phone out, figuring out the per ounce price of each item to see which is the best deal.

I just checked paper I bought 3 or so years ago from Staples, and it's 8 x 10.5. I also checked the spiral notebooks I bought 4-5 years ago, and it's the same size. I don't recall notebook paper every being 8.5 x 11.

Same here. It's been 8x10.5 for a really long time around here.

I thought so too. Even way back in the olden days when I was in college.

Here, the back-to-school bargain paper and spiral notebooks have been 8x10.5" for years, at least since 2002 when we started HS.

Back in the day, when I was a student, all the paper was 8.5x11". But that was eons ago. Now full-size, regular ol' paper is hard to find.

It is dishonest to me. Like tiny candy bars... renamed to sound cool but really about making cost seem the same, etc.

Washing powders "new & improved formula"..... bull... just a smaller box. I swear mine are actually doing a poorer job... so if the formula changed, it wasn't improved.

They are trying to mask the inflation and manufacturing costs. They need to just up the darn price and leave the stuff sTANDARD. But sadly, most folks probably won't notice & whistle on down the road!:001_huh:

Here, the back-to-school bargain paper and spiral notebooks have been 8x10.5" for years, at least since 2002 when we started HS.

Back in the day, when I was a student, all the paper was 8.5x11". But that was eons ago. Now full-size, regular ol' paper is hard to find.

Something else that is hard to find.... loose leaf paper than isn't so thin that I can see through it. I pulled out old notebooks from college (sadly, my husband keeps them all). It was shocked at how THICK the paper is and how pitiful it is now.

So, I bought business pads in white and use it instead of loose leaf. Cost more but it stays on the stinking notebook rings longer than a week.

My filler paper has never been the same size as printer paper. I'm pretty sure the spiral notebooks and stuff were the same way.

My filler paper has never been the same size as printer paper. I'm pretty sure the spiral notebooks and stuff were the same way.

This was bothering me. I dug out my journal from jr. high. This dates back to the 80's. It was a 8x10.5 spiral notebook. This is one thing that isn't shrinking. But I agree about the quality of paper inside the notebook! I find that composition books have thicker paper.

Check out cereal and potato chip bags too.

This is across the market as a whole. I am waiting for them to sell gas by the half gallon so that we feel better about our purchase!:lol::lol:

They'll be selling it by the quart soon. I'd bet money on it.

We pay for gas by the litre here. Having come from States, I always think of it as "3.78xwhatever the price is today." I can do that math with nearly any number and tell my dh what the price per gallon is.

He hates that. He says it depresses him to know. :tongue_smilie:

I have noticed that, too. You will find me in the grocery aisles with my cell phone out, figuring out the per ounce price of each item to see which is the best deal.

At Superstore, they have that info on all the price/shelf labels. Makes shopping a lot easier, IMO.

That is so bizarre.

No lie.

It's after midnight and I just got up out of my bed, having decided you were all insane, and came down to find... 10.5 x 8. Yeah, Walmart. They don't even get the order of dimensions right.

What's next? We'll all be going around with wonky History Pockets when the construction paler sizing goes off? Good grief! Is nothing sacred?

Eta: the label also says "college ruled is now blue!" What the heck color was it before!?! It was blue when I was in school. Was there a different interim color? I am ashamed to have come to the day that I am confused by office supplies.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Eta: the label also says "college ruled is now blue!" What the heck color was it before!?! It was blue when I was in school. Was there a different interim color? I am ashamed to have come to the day that I am confused by office supplies.

grey.