Menu

It's "crap" people, not "carp"!

If you are getting with the program or conforming to the standard, then you are going to TOE the line, not tow the line.

Do you know the reference to this? Why is it TOE the line? What is that referring to? I always (obviously erroneously) thought it was tow, and I imagined someone picking up a heavy line like the ones you see in ship yards and trying to tow it somewhere! :lol: My imagination fails me again!

So what is the TOE reference from?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New question:

Why do people use *a word* instead of quotation marks?

For example: I eat a *healthy* diet of soda and candy bars.

Instead of, I eat a "healthy" diet of soda and candy bars.

I've seen the "stars" used a lot and it has baffled me. I figured it was a social networking thang! (I know, Mrs. Mungo) thing, not thang. I was being *hip*! :D

Substitute for italics?

What I hate is when people put something in quotes weirdly.

When I was a kid, I remember a warning on the side of the swimming pool diving board, that said something like, to be "safe", do not jump in the shallow end head first.... It freaked me out! It suggested it wasn't really safe...

Edited by stripe

Do you know the reference to this? Why is it TOE the line? What is that referring to? I always (obviously erroneously) thought it was tow, and I imagined someone picking up a heavy line like the ones you see in ship yards and trying to tow it somewhere! :lol: My imagination fails me again!

So what is the TOE reference from?

Toe the line:)

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember from other threads that you are LDS, as is my sister-in-law. The whole family has an amusing arsenal of harmless expletives.

I *am* LDS, as is my SIL, but I'd never heard "Oh Mylanta" until I met her family.

My personal favorite harmless explative is "Frack" :D

New question:

I've seen the "stars" used a lot and it has baffled me. I figured it was a social networking thang! (I know, Mrs. Mungo) thing, not thang. I was being *hip*! :D

As Stripe said and because using quotation marks in that case is dangerously close to using them to indicate emphasis which, I would argue, is a crime more heinous then misusing apostrophes and kills more kittens as well.

Online asterisks also indicate actions like so: *picks up the little squashed kitten and attempts CPR*

Wish beat me on the tow the line question. :D

New question:

It's for emphasis. If I say I was eating a "meat" sandwich, then I would be eating something that was a substitute for meat. If I ate a *meat* sandwich, then it was seriously meat-laden.

As Stripe said because using quotation marks in that case and many others is using them to indicate emphasis which, I would argue, is a crime more heinous then misusing apostrophes and kills more kittens as well.

Online asterisks also indicate actions like so: *picks up the little squashed kitten and attempts CPR*

That reminds me of a few weird encounters in AOL chatrooms, like

Thor: (with rose between his teeth) hey any ladies here?

Ramses: heck no (burp)

As Stripe said and because using quotation marks in that case is dangerously close to using them to indicate emphasis which, I would argue, is a crime more heinous then misusing apostrophes and kills more kittens as well.

Right. When a farmer advertises "FRESH" veggies, he is trying to emphasize fresh, but really he is indicating they are something other than fresh.

I usually use the tilde for that, I was part of an email list long ago where that was the norm. ~remembering~ ;)

Wish beat me on the tow the line question. :D

It's for emphasis. If I say I was eating a "meat" sandwich, then I would be eating something that was a substitute for meat. If I ate a *meat* sandwich, then it was seriously meat-laden.

Oh! So it's the same as meat sandwich without having to take my mouse up to the top to the B (bold) or I (italics)? Right?

Thanks! :D

In a similar vein - one may lose an item (i.e., misplace it) or one could loosen something (pants, for example, after a big meal). One may even occasionally lose something after loosening it; however, the two words are not synonymous.

In a similar vein - one may lose an item (i.e., misplace it) or one could loosen something (pants, for example, after a big meal). One may even occasionally lose something after loosening it; however, the two words are not synonymous.

I was just about to post this! It drives me crazy when I see it on FB.

Oh! So it's the same as meat sandwich without having to take my mouse up to the top to the B (bold) or I (italics)? Right?

Thanks! :D

Okay, this is just me, but I use them for different amounts of emphasis in this order: asterisks, italics, bold, bold with italics, all caps. I use asterisks more when I am on phone though.

I love that site!!

Edited by Mrs Mungo
Iphone

Right. When a farmer advertises "FRESH" veggies, he is trying to emphasize fresh, but really he is indicating they are something other than fresh.

Could he be indicating a pun with those too? Like the veggies are weeks old but if you turn around they might goose you?

(asked in half-seriousness)

Dh's grandmother sent us a letter that concluded with:

We "love you and miss you both."

Love,

Grandma

I snorted aloud when I read it. We presume she meant to emphasize that point, but you never know with his family!:lol:

Well, honestly, I don't always look at the semantics and grammar when reading signs. In my local "FRESH" veggies means that they are right out of his field or garden rather than trucked in overnight from another state in boxes.

Could he be indicating a pun with those too? Like the veggies are weeks old but if you turn around they might goose you?

Maybe. I'm always hoping something advertised at .50c per lb will ring up as 2 lbs for 1c. So far no luck.

Well, honestly, I don't always look at the semantics and grammar when reading signs. In my local "FRESH" veggies means that they are right out of his field or garden rather than trucked in overnight from another state in boxes.

That's because you've been tainted by bad punctuation. It may be the way quotation marks are going but it's not what they mean right now. That are many other perfectly good ways to *emphasize* a word. People don't need to be abusing quotation marks.:D

I'm guilty of many things in this thread. When you make the same mistake often enough it begins to look right. Where's the paper-bag-over-my-head smilie? Uh-oh, was that the correct use of the "-"? For that matter, is that the correct use of the quote? Oh my, now I'm mixing tenses. This could go on for a while... I'll stop now.

OOOHHHHHH!!!!! Boy do I feel stupid! :001_huh:

:lol: It makes it so hard for me to read because then I have to slow down to figure out what the "mis-spelled" word "should" mean and then get on with reading the post.

Now, I get it! Thanks ladies! :blush:

ROTFLOL....glad to see I am not the only one with blonde roots.

I'm guilty of many things in this thread. When you make the same mistake often enough it begins to look right. Where's the paper-bag-over-my-head smilie? Uh-oh, was that the correct use of the "-"? For that matter, is that the correct use of the quote? Oh my, now I'm mixing tenses. This could go on for a while... I'll stop now.

You just need an "Eats Shoots and Leaves" intervention.:D

My FIL is the king of unnecessary quotation marks. So much so that it makes it hard to read his emails.

It's ridiculous, not rediculous.

If you are getting with the program or conforming to the standard, then you are going to TOE the line, not tow the line.

I'm sure I'll have more to add. ;)

What no one has mentioned loose/lose yet? While I often think I'm going to lose my mind, I don't think I will ever loose it. :lol:

This post is hilarious considering I read your screen name as "mom-o-flaw"! :lol:

New question:

** is emphasis.

"" means it's not really what you are saying. "Healthy" means it's not really healthy but you or someone else calls it that. Like... "chicken" nuggets would not be made out of chicken, only "chicken". It's supposed to be chicken, but it's not. Chicken nuggets would actually included chicken.

*chicken* nuggets - emphasizing that they're made with chicken.

"chicken" nuggets - fake chicken

I use carp, as I know some people see the other as a curse word and prefer not to see it written out. I do believe the two are tied together. :tongue_smilie:

CARPe diem = seize the day

CRAPe diem = I'm having a really lousy day

See, it's really our secret, SOF-related, group code.

:lol:

OOOO, I know that one. The area below the books that is frequently related to activities of tEa!

:blink:

How about "for all intensive purposes" Gaaaah!

It's "intents and purposes"

I never knew!:blush:

OK, so here's a question for you. Is the word used appropriate in the phrase, "I used to do something?" This has been plaguing me! Is it bad grammar? Do I just not know how to spell the actual word? Somebody save me please from the embarrassment of misused words!!!

BTW, I proofread every post several times over because of Mrs Mungo.:lol:

Blessings!

Dorinda

That's because you've been tainted by bad punctuation. It may be the way quotation marks are going but it's not what they mean right now. That are many other perfectly good ways to *emphasize* a word. People don't need to be abusing quotation marks.:D

Tainted is most likely correct. Once upon a time it really bothered me. Now I am usually too distracted by the nonstop 4yo sitting behind me LOL.

Our church secretary drives me batty with her quotation marks, underlining, bolding, and italicizing of the church bulletin. I love her dearly, but every service I dread the bulletin. Yes, it is 4 pages long and not in color, but please, all the extra just makes me dizzy and then nothing stands out as it should. This is just one from the latest:

Attention "New Mothers: Classroom #136 has been set aside to "accommodate the needs" of attending to your newborns during the worship service without interruptions.

OK, so here's a question for you. Is the word used appropriate in the phrase, "I used to do something?" This has been plaguing me! Is it bad grammar? Do I just not know how to spell the actual word? Somebody save me please from the embarrassment of misused words!!!

Blessings!

Dorinda

It's actually "youst" as in, "I youst to play poker." It's an old Gaelic verb that made it's way into English in the 1700's.

:D:leaving:

Is the word used appropriate in the phrase, "I used to do something?"

Not used like that. It must be "used to could," as in "I used to could fit into these jeans."

I say this one, and my husband always cringes: "might should have." I got it from my grandma. There are some situations where it's just right. As in,"Those green beans were only .50c a pound! I might should have bought more!"

But here's one that I hear a lot. "No, yeah." I hear it a lot. As in --

Gosh those jeans are tight on you!

(laughing) No, yeah, they are, aren't they? I used to could fit in them, but since I've been eating "healthier," they seem to have shrunk.

I seriously LOLed!

Honestly, I am sort of bad about saying that IRL (along with fixin' to), but I don't think I ever saying it while writing.

Aw, I am sorry, I don't mean to make anyone paranoid! I am posting from my phone, and it is always doing weird things.

While I'm here, can I complain about PEEK and PEAK?

It's not a SNEAK PEAK, people. :rant:

Nor do my posts peak OR peek your curiosity. They pique your curiosity...or not. ;)

It's actually "youst" as in, "I youst to play poker." It's an old Gaelic verb that made it's way into English in the 1700's.

:D:leaving:

I think it originally came from the word joust, which of course also stemmed the derivative joust (pronounced just for all you phonetical junkies). For example: I was joust going to do laundry. Youst to be I could do it all in one day, now it takes me two.

The joust being a display of individual skill. So if you use the word "used to" it is singular, meaning individual, only one, joust you. If you want to say "we used to" the correct form would be "we ustamus" (the to being understood).

:tongue_smilie:

Not used like that. It must be "used to could," as in "I used to could fit into these jeans."

I say this one, and my husband always cringes: "might should have." I got it from my grandma. There are some situations where it's just right. As in,"Those green beans were only .50c a pound! I might should have bought more!"

But here's one that I hear a lot. "No, yeah." I hear it a lot. As in --

Gosh those jeans are tight on you!

(laughing) No, yeah, they are, aren't they? I used to could fit in them, but since I've been eating "healthier," they seem to have shrunk.

Oh, I think I have to stick with "used to". The other sounds so awkward. Chalk it up to charming regional dialect maybe?

My husband's used to drive me nuts with this, "That needs washed," rather then, "That needs to be washed". I've hear it for so long now that it sounds normal so I chalk it up to charming regional dialect. I'm in Nova Scotia, we have lots of that.

I think it originally came from the word joust, which of course also stemmed the derivative joust (pronounced just for all you phonetical junkies). For example: I was joust going to do laundry. Youst to be I could do it all in one day, now it takes me two.

The joust being a display of individual skill. So if you use the word "used to" it is singular, meaning individual, only one, joust you. If you want to say "we used to" the correct form would be "we ustamus" (the to being understood).

:tongue_smilie:

There's also "Youse". I heard this in Northern Ontario (seriously) as in, "Hey youse guys!"

So..."Hey Youse guys, I was joust going to do laundry. Youst to be I could do it all in one day, now it takes me two."

And now we have a hat trick!