Menu

Could you share your 7th grade plans?

banker281

My 7th grader is using the following:

English - Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings / Spelling Power / Winston Grammar Basic

Math - Teaching Textbooks Prealgebra

History - Beautiful Feet's Geography through Literature

Science - Rainbow Science Year 1

Art - Dubosque's Drawing Books

Music - Piano Lessons

Our plans for the fall are:

Math - NEM 1 moving into Foerster's Algebra I later in the year

Literature - Omnibus 2 Primary and Secondary

Writing - CW Diogenes Maxim

Vocabulary - finish CE1 and complete CE2

Grammar - R&S 7

History - Truthquest AOR 1 and part of 2

Science - BJU Life Science

Latin - Latin Alive 1

Greek - Elementary Greek 2

Logic - Art of Argument and Critical Thinking in US History

Art - ??

Music - The Story of Classical Music and HitW Composers lapbook plus piano lessons

I'll also have a 5th, 2nd, and 3yo, so I'm still working on how to schedule it all out.

Edited by Narrow Gate Academy
forgot to add logic

I was just wondering what other people are doing for 7th grade. Could you please share your plans/schedule?

Thanks

I'm totally re-thinking my 7th grader's plans. I had planned on Where the Brook and River Meet which is an Anne of Green Gables study. However, as I have been going through it, I'm not sure I really want to do it next yr. Many of the topics are more mature themes. I haven't finished going through it enough to determine if I want to just eliminate some of the books or actually change directions.

I just order this in case I want to switch gears completely: http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Books-Activities-Ready-Use/dp/0876283091/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4 (this book has the look inside feature though it really only shows the book lists and not the activities.) I own another one of her books and I really like it.

Math: either continue with AoPS or switch to Foersters

Science: self-selected topics

History: depend on the decision above. If we don't do it, then I will probably do ancients with her.

English: HTTS, Writers Inc, Abeka Grammar (I already own their 9th grade grammar and she has finished AG 2x. :tongue_smilie:)

French 3: BtB and TMM

Latin 2: Latin Prep 3 and SYRWTLLatin

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Reiigion - Youcat (new Catechism for Catholic youth), plus various other books

Math - Saxon 8/7 with DIVE

Latin - Latin for Children B

English - Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts from Royal Fireworks Press

Science - Rainbow Science

Logic - Critical Thinking- Book 1

History - relaxed approach - This Day in History, Exploring America's Musical Heritage (Prof. Carol), family read alouds, movies, fieldtrips.

Programmiing - still deciding

We're just finishing up 7th.

Math: BJUP prealgebra + LOF prealgebra

English: BJUP grammar and writing.

Literature: BJUP Literature + six Charles Dickens books.

Handwriting: Made my own worksheets with Educational Fontware using his spelling words

Spelling: Spelling city

Vocab: MCT Word within the Word

Spanish: Abandoned BJUP and went with Visual Link Spanish

Latin: BJUP Latin 1 (about 1/4 way through)

History: BJUP World Studies

Logic: Art of Argument

Science: BJUP Life Science

Bible: BJUP

PE: Karate

Music: Piano

Last year we used

The Bible, Classic reading selections and writings on them, Saxon 8/7, Apologia General Science & All American History. We only did a partial year but these things where ok to close the gaps her private school created and to get her on track for 8th this coming year.

We will be doing:

Math: MUS Pre-Algebra

Language Arts: Winstons Grammar Advanced, CW Diogenes Maxim, Literary Lessons for the Lord of the Rings

History:AO Yr. 7 as well as book list from David Hicks' Norms & Nobility

Science: The Elements, Friendly Chemistry

Logic/Philosophy: making my own course as an intro to the Great Ideas. We will be concentrating on beauty, truth and goodness for this year.

My 7th grader will be using:

Math: TT Pre-Algebra & some Critical Thinking logic books

Science: LegoMindstorms w/ Mayan Adv, etc. books and WinterPromise Human Body/Forensics program.

History: MOH w/ optional suggestions for movies, etc. in the Illuminations Year 2 program.

LA: Winston Basic, IEW SWI-B, and Lit guides from Illuminations Year 2; Pictures in Cursive from Queen's to continue working on handwriting

Spanish: Rosetta Stone

PE: He plays on a travel baseball team

Here's what we did (I'm copying from an earlier thread) this past year for 7th...

Math - Geometry with Derek Owens -- ds loved his class, btw... We'll be continuing with Derek for two classes in 8th grade.

English - Stewart English (recommended in my 1st ed WTM for grammar) books 1 and 2 and Lightning Lit Early to Mid 19th Century British for fall and Early to Mid 19th Century Americanfor spring. While I liked LL's middle school program, I've been unhappy with the supposedly high school level materials. The readings are challenging, but there's not a lot of support -- just some background material, and honestly not even as much of that as one could find with SparkNotes for free on-line. And the writing assignments are just ridiculous -- not even *remotely* what I would expect of a college-bound high school student. Luckily, since we're using it for middle school, we've been able to adapt to make it work for our needs. I didn't really *expect* my child to be writing high school papers this year. But we won't be using LL again.

History - Basically following WTM Logic Stage recommendations here. Using the DK Definitive Visual History, the NG Almanac of World History, and 4 of the Hakim History of US books (#2-5) as our main history spines with daily outlining or summaries and adding to our timeline, etc. Various additional reading (largely from the WTM 7 list). Also reading Famous Men of Modern Times. MCT's "Jefferson's Truths".

Latin - farmed this out finally. The teacher's covering Jenney's 2 this year.

Greek - Athenaze 1 (roughly half this year -- ds and our borrowed-for-Greek student could have covered more, but I've been having trouble teaching it. Next year they'll be taking Greek from their current Latin teacher)

Science - Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Science 2 and experiments from the Thames and Kosmos middle school science kit (and some others)

Logic - The Argument Builder, Critical Thinking in US History (book 1 only)

Smaller subjects: Christian Studies 2 (from Memoria Press), reading The Annotated Mona Lisa, ballet 3x a week, Boy Scouts...

Reading list this year includes (originals except where noted):

Pride and Prejudice

The King's Fifth, by Scott O'Dell

Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes, adapted by Michael Harrison

I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth Barton De Trevino

Along Came Galileo, by Jeanne Bendick

Gulliver's Travels

Ivanhoe

Dangerous Journey (retelling of The Pilgrim's Progress)

Frankenstein

Jane Eyre

George Washington's World, by Genevieve Foster

Stowaway by Karen Hesse

Ben Franklin's Autobiography

Forge, Laurie Halse Anderson

Chains, Laurie Halse Anderson

Mutiny on the Bounty

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Rip Van Winkle, others by Washington Irving

Seaman: the Dog who Explored the West

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

Uncle Remus tales (selections)

Once Blind: the life of John Newton, by Kay Marshall Strom

Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens

An American Plague: the true and horrifying story of the yellow fever epidemic of 1793

Fever 1793

Dr. Jenner and the Speckled Monster: the discovery of the smallpox vaccine

Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science

The Scarlet Letter

Moby Dick

(there are a few historical fiction pieces I know I've left out... apparently the list I have here isn't as complete as I thought... and ds reads a fair amount on his own, though most of that tends to be more fantasy-oriented, Hunger Games, etc...)

Edited to add a sample from ds' planner for this year. History assignments are explained in more detail on a separate sheet of paper, so this one only includes the readings (not what he's expected to outline or summarize, etc). The lines at the bottom are for adding in homework that's assigned weekly, like Latin, Greek, and logic... I was supposed to transfer the geometry assignments from the syllabus to the assignment book, but I didn't. ;)

184787_10150113420660878_688000877_6628024_4140117_n.jpg

My 7th grader will be doing the following:

Math: AoPS Counting & Probability and Chapters 11-22 in AoPS Intro to Alg.

Latin I: Wheelock's Latin with Lukeion Project

English: Caesar's English II, Essay Voyage, Write at Home, Grammar Voyage plus classical literature selections

History: Ancient Greece and the Trojan War using Memoria Press materials. The History of US books.

Science: Cyber-Ed middle school physical science.

Computer: Scratch programming

Electives: Tennis and volunteering

Heart of Dakota's Creation to Christ with the Extensions for older students

Rod & Staff English and Spelling

IEW SWI-A (started last year, finishing up this fall) then Write With the Best as scheduled in HOD

IEW Poetry Memorization

Figuratively Speaking

Remedia Outlining workbooks

Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek 4

Visual Latin

Rosetta Stone Spanish (relaxed with this)

BJU Life Science

MathUSee Zeta/Pre-Algebra

Key to Geometry

The Fallacy Detective (will probably be finished before fall school starts)

The Art of Argument

some other Logic workbooks (Mind Benders, etc.)

Simply Charlotte Mason Picture Study Portfolios

violin lessons

Here's what we did (I'm copying from an earlier thread) this past year for 7th...

Math - Geometry with Derek Owens -- ds loved his class, btw... We'll be continuing with Derek for two classes in 8th grade.

English - Stewart English (recommended in my 1st ed WTM for grammar) books 1 and 2 and Lightning Lit Early to Mid 19th Century British for fall and Early to Mid 19th Century Americanfor spring. While I liked LL's middle school program, I've been unhappy with the supposedly high school level materials. The readings are challenging, but there's not a lot of support -- just some background material, and honestly not even as much of that as one could find with SparkNotes for free on-line. And the writing assignments are just ridiculous -- not even *remotely* what I would expect of a college-bound high school student. Luckily, since we're using it for middle school, we've been able to adapt to make it work for our needs. I didn't really *expect* my child to be writing high school papers this year. But we won't be using LL again.

History - Basically following WTM Logic Stage recommendations here. Using the DK Definitive Visual History, the NG Almanac of World History, and 4 of the Hakim History of US books (#2-5) as our main history spines with daily outlining or summaries and adding to our timeline, etc. Various additional reading (largely from the WTM 7 list). Also reading Famous Men of Modern Times. MCT's "Jefferson's Truths".

Latin - farmed this out finally. The teacher's covering Jenney's 2 this year.

Greek - Athenaze 1 (roughly half this year -- ds and our borrowed-for-Greek student could have covered more, but I've been having trouble teaching it. Next year they'll be taking Greek from their current Latin teacher)

Science - Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Science 2 and experiments from the Thames and Kosmos middle school science kit (and some others)

Logic - The Argument Builder, Critical Thinking in US History (book 1 only)

Smaller subjects: Christian Studies 2 (from Memoria Press), reading The Annotated Mona Lisa, ballet 3x a week, Boy Scouts...

Reading list this year includes (originals except where noted):

Pride and Prejudice

The King's Fifth, by Scott O'Dell

Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes, adapted by Michael Harrison

I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth Barton De Trevino

Along Came Galileo, by Jeanne Bendick

Gulliver's Travels

Ivanhoe

Dangerous Journey (retelling of The Pilgrim's Progress)

Frankenstein

Jane Eyre

George Washington's World, by Genevieve Foster

Stowaway by Karen Hesse

Ben Franklin's Autobiography

Forge, Laurie Halse Anderson

Chains, Laurie Halse Anderson

Mutiny on the Bounty

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Rip Van Winkle, others by Washington Irving

Seaman: the Dog who Explored the West

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

Uncle Remus tales (selections)

Once Blind: the life of John Newton, by Kay Marshall Strom

Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens

An American Plague: the true and horrifying story of the yellow fever epidemic of 1793

Fever 1793

Dr. Jenner and the Speckled Monster: the discovery of the smallpox vaccine

Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science

The Scarlet Letter

Moby Dick

(there are a few historical fiction pieces I know I've left out... apparently the list I have here isn't as complete as I thought... and ds reads a fair amount on his own, though most of that tends to be more fantasy-oriented, Hunger Games, etc...)

Edited to add a sample from ds' planner for this year. History assignments are explained in more detail on a separate sheet of paper, so this one only includes the readings (not what he's expected to outline or summarize, etc). The lines at the bottom are for adding in homework that's assigned weekly, like Latin, Greek, and logic... I was supposed to transfer the geometry assignments from the syllabus to the assignment book, but I didn't. ;)

184787_10150113420660878_688000877_6628024_4140117_n.jpg

Did you make that in word? I really like it.

In case anyone was interested, I have spent more time with Where the Brook and River Meet. We are going to do it this yr, but I am going to be altering it significantly and using some resources that I already own. Books like Schaeffer's How Should We Then Live? are just going to be of high interest to my 7th grader. (And high interest does matter to me at this age.)

In case anyone was interested, I have spent more time with Where the Brook and River Meet. We are going to do it this yr, but I am going to be altering it significantly and using some resources that I already own. Books like Schaeffer's How Should We Then Live? are just going to be of high interest to my 7th grader. (And high interest does matter to me at this age.)

Would you mind pming me (or perhaps here is ok) with what books you are using to supplement Brook/River? I've never seen it, but Anne's a good friend around here, and I may be looking at going "off history cycle" for 7th grade. Dd will be re-entering homeschooling after two years of public school, and will be coming back from our sabbatical (probably).

TIA

(sorry for the hijack)

If we ever start (we were supposed to start on Tuesday :glare:), my 7th grader will be doing:

Math: Finish Saxon 8/7, move to Alg. 1

History/Lit: Finish SL 6, move to SL 7

US History: We're reading through Complete Book of World History & American Stories

Writing: WTM writing, Writing with Skill, Killgallon Sentence Composing

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

Grammar: Rod & Staff 7

Geography: Map Trek & Evan Moor's 7 Continent Series (we'll make it through 3 books this year, I think)

Science: Hakim's Story of Science & Milestones in Science kit

Latin: Latin Alive 1

Greek: finish Elementary Greek 1, move into EG2

Logic: Fallacy Detective & Thinking Toolbox, Orbiting With Logic

Music: Young Scholar's Guide to the Composers

He attends a 1 day a week enrichment program with art, science, PE and other activities, takes Judo & tumbling/power trampoline gymnastics, and takes piano lessons. Dh also leads us in a family Bible study in the mornings.

My son just finished 7th grade. He used:

Math: Saxon 1/2 with DIVE CD.

Science: Apologia General (a co-op bust)

History, Bible & Lit: World History part 1 -- Sonlight 6

English: Keys to Good Language 6 (SL)

Spelling Workout, grade 8

Japanese: Irasshai

Drama: community

Lots of Boy Scout work

Yes please share here

My 7th grader will be doing the following:

Bible, History - My Father's World (minus the science) Explorers to 1850

Writing - IEW US History Based Writing Lessons vol 1 (writing assignments coincide nicely with MFW weekly plans)

Grammar/Literature - Easy Grammar + Lightning Literature 7

Spelling - IEW Phonetic Zoo B

Science - Apologia General Science

Foreign Language - English from the Roots Up + casually work through Rosetta Stone Spanish Level 1

Self Defense class (weekly coop class); it was 1 of 3 classes left open, wasn't our first choice but she can't be left out when sisters are taking their 1st choice classes at coop:tongue_smilie:

This is what we used last year:

Latin - Latin Alive I

Math - LOF Beginning algebra with Dolciani Structure and Method book 1 (partial)

English - Megawords 2

Writing WTM style

Literature WTM style

Science - Nature Study, computer (on his own)

History - Asian history (I used several resources)

Logic - Art of Argument/Philosophy for Kids

Carpentry - with dad

My DD11(almost 12) will be doing:

History/Literature: TruthQuest/Biblioplan Middle Ages, Reformation and Renaissance

Science: Apologia General Science with Knowledge Quest Notebooking

Writing: Writing With Skill, maybe Sentence Composing or Easy Writing as well

Spelling: Spelling Plus

Grammar: Growing with Grammar and Advanced Language Lessons

Poetry: The Grammar of Poetry

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from Classical Roots 4, 5 and maybe 6(we are starting at the beginning)

Literature: Progeny Press Narnia Guides, as well as a couple of Progeny Press guides to go with history

Latin: Getting Started With Latin

Logic: Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox

Bible: Apologia 'Who is God?' and 'Who am I?' with her brothers, AWANA and devotions on her own

Art: History with TQ

Home Economics: Cooking, Baking and Quilting with Mom

Edited by Roxy Roller
corrections

My 7th grader will be doing:

Science: BJU Life Science

History: SL Core 7

LA: SL Core 7 Lit for reading, LL7, Wordly Wise and WriteSource

Foreign Language: Breaking the Barrier French I (the first half), Mango French

Health: Intellego High School Health

Music: Flute in 3rd yr band at local private school

Sewing: Sew Everything Workshop (w/mom) (1 semester)

Typing: Typing Web (1 semester)

I'm totally re-thinking my 7th grader's plans. I had planned on Where the Brook and River Meet which is an Anne of Green Gables study. However, as I have been going through it, I'm not sure I really want to do it next yr. Many of the topics are more mature themes. I haven't finished going through it enough to determine if I want to just eliminate some of the books or actually change directions.

I just order this in case I want to switch gears completely: http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Books-Activities-Ready-Use/dp/0876283091/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4 (this book has the look inside feature though it really only shows the book lists and not the activities.) I own another one of her books and I really like it.

Math: either continue with AoPS or switch to Foersters

Science: self-selected topics

History: depend on the decision above. If we don't do it, then I will probably do ancients with her.

English: HTTS, Writers Inc, Abeka Grammar (I already own their 9th grade grammar and she has finished AG 2x. :tongue_smilie:)

French 3: BtB and TMM

Latin 2: Latin Prep 3 and SYRWTLLatin

Which Writers Inc are you planning to use? The handbook? or something else? How do you plan to use it? (I know you have your own (fantastic) way of teaching writing!)

Thanks!

I have changed my mind a hundred times about our plans for next year. I'm sure if I did a search and found the last 7th grade plan thread, I posted something completely different. But this is just about finalized as I've ordered much of it already.

History-

Light to the Nations, Part I: Development of Christian Civilization

Christian Studies-

Faith and Life 7

Christian Studies IV

Math-

Saxon 8/7 (when we finish 7/6)

Science-

BJU 6

Language Arts-

Writing with Skill

Advanced Language Lessons

Sadlier Vocabulary Workshop A

Figuratively Speaking

Memoria and Garlic Press guides for:

Anne of Green Gables

Robinson Crusoe

To Kill a Mockingbird

Lord of the Flies

The Giver

Latin-

First Form

French-

First Start French I

Art-

Art 6 for Young Catholics

We will be doing:

Language Arts: Winstons Grammar Advanced, CW Diogenes Maxim, Literary Lessons for the Lord of the Rings

History:AO Yr. 7 as well as book list from David Hicks' Norms & Nobility

Science: The Elements, Friendly Chemistry

Logic/Philosophy: making my own course as an intro to the Great Ideas. We will be concentrating on beauty, truth and goodness for this year.

I wish I had the confidence to say we're doing upper levels of AO from here on, but there are so many suggestions I've never read, I'm not sure how to navigate those waters. We did enjoy trying a couple year 7 readings this last year - we LOVED Daughter of Time! and I loved Twain's Joan of Arc (and plan to read that first with ds this fall).

Also, I would love to know more about your plans for logic/philosophy!

7th grade DD11 (12 in November)

TOG Y3 with SL in a secular manner

PR / LR

Earth Science / Astronomy

finish Saxon 8/7 and CD prealgebra / Algebra I and Patty Paper Geometry

IEW US History / Writeshop Beta Test

Pentime Cursive (remediating)

YMCA Gym and Swim

Undecided:

Logic

Music

Art

That sounds like fun! What age do you think it would be better suited for?

My dd will be doing:

MOH 2 with readers & read-alouds from Sonlight, WP,and Illuminations (an eclectic mix), Horizons 6, Karen Andreola's Story Starters, All About Spelling 5, Easy Grammar Plus, Supercharged Science (she won a year's curriculum at our regional science fair!), Violin, Bible (mainly NT readings to go with the MOH 2 theme this year)...I think that's about it.

My dd will be doing:

MOH 2 with readers & read-alouds from Sonlight, WP,and Illuminations (an eclectic mix), Horizons 6, Karen Andreola's Story Starters, All About Spelling 5, Easy Grammar Plus, Supercharged Science (she won a year's curriculum at our regional science fair!), Violin, Bible (mainly NT readings to go with the MOH 2 theme this year)...I think that's about it.

Merry, will your dd continue with MOH 3 for 8th grade? What will you do for 9th grade? I was hoping to use MOH 4, but the earliest release date I have seen for that book is 2014. I've really been stressing over which direction to take the next couple of years. My dd loves MOH and we will be using MOH 2 this year as well.

Lots of angst here over the curriculum choices for this next year, but FINALLY here is my list, keeping in mind that my 7th grade son would rather be roofing or building or mowing or just about anything that is not academic:

Math: finishing MUS Zeta this summer, then deciding between Lial's pre-algebra, Prentice Hall pre-algebra or continuing MUS (Ok, so all the choices haven't been made yet!)

English: LLATL, TOG vocab and writing, Jump-In writing, Latin and Greek roots, Easy Grammar

History/ Geography/ Bible and some LA: TOG Year 1

Science: finishing up some Apologia, and doing some unit studies on anatomy, geology and biology so that he can do General Science with a younger brother next year.

Latin for Children

Various artist and composer studies

trumpet, piano, handbells, soccer and working for several people from our church in construction.

Also along -- 6th grader, 4th grader, 2nd grader, and 1st grader.

I have changed my mind a hundred times about our plans for next year. I'm sure if I did a search and found the last 7th grade plan thread, I posted something completely different.

:iagree:

Bible - Bible Study Fellowship - Acts

History and Lit. - American, various books, Figuratively Speaking

Geography - map study on his own

Grammar and Writing - Still not 100% sure... and even if I was, I probably wouldn't say until we had used it for at least a month and knew we were sticking with it. :tongue_smilie:

Spelling - SWR

Science - BJU 7

Math - CLE 6

Logic - Art/Arg.

Foreign Language - Visual Link Spanish

Chess, Basketball

This year I'll have a 4th, a 7th, and an 11th.

Here's the (not cast-in-stone yet) plan for the 7th grader:

History -- History Odyssey Early Modern level 2 (with History of US mixed in)

LA -- IEW U.S. History v.1

Language Lessons for the Secondary Child v. 2

Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Math -- Art of Problem Solving, plus various books of story problems

Science -- Hakim's Story of Science (with the 4th grader)

Science Daybook - Life Science

Bible -- Christian Studies book 4

Art/Music -- undecided

PE -- running, weekly PE class, homeschool football and baseball,

activity/nutrition journal

We may try to dabble in Latin and we may work more on Spanish, with a field trip :)

I think we are going to try WP QMA Jr. High. I have not been interested in WP before so this is something new for us. It seems to be right up dd’s alley since it is so similar to SL, so she’s excited about it. If we like it, I will be relieved to have found something that we can use to alternate with SL, possibly all the way through HS (I am not thrilled with all of SL’s cores). This year I will combine it with AO 3- that way I don’t have to put as much effort into writing out plans (as opposed to just using AO and making additional plans). Instead, I will have more time to devote to helping her with her math, which is a terrible problem all of the sudden.

French- First Start by Memoria Press combined or supplemented w/ Powerspeak

Spanish- Visual Link

Latin- Latina Christiana with her younger siblings

Grammar- LLATL, MCT( plus extra diagramming practice along with Shurley Q&A flow)

Writing- from a variety of resources, including Wordsmith (taking a break from IEW) Great Genre Writing Lessons looks interesting… I have a ton of writing resource books I can use, and I simply assign writing intermittently as well.

Spelling- Megawords 4

Science –BJU Life w/ additional books (she reads constantly on science topics)

History- WP QMA Jr.High (lol, not sure where I got 7/8 from...duh) tweaked of course!, AO 3 (revisited), Story of the Thirteen Colonies by Memoria (Guerber revisited from years ago on PDF-this time she can really take it in)

Math- dd picked Horizons Pre-Alg she will use this part of the year to get caught up, along with LOF- hopefully followed by Jacobs Alg (this is subject to change without notice) LOL

Art- lessons / Music- piano

PE- tennis, swimming, yoga with me

Handicrafts- needlepoint w/Grandma if I can get her over here ;) and other projects

Unfortunately we have decided against co-op for music and art. It would just take too much time driving back and forth, etc. We can’t afford a whole day off; we need a flex day in the week as it is. So piano will be done at home. I’d love to see if I can get someone to come in for lessons, but I am not sure if we will carry that out. Most likely she will take art classes at some point in the year. She took classes last year, and while she is very naturally talented in art, I think formal lessons are beneficial.

I hope I have included everything here. I love to see what everyone is up to. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by lovemykids

Merry, will your dd continue with MOH 3 for 8th grade? What will you do for 9th grade? I was hoping to use MOH 4, but the earliest release date I have seen for that book is 2014. I've really been stressing over which direction to take the next couple of years. My dd loves MOH and we will be using MOH 2 this year as well.

Yes, that's my plan. I figure for 9th grade I'll probably have her do Sonlight Core 100, which is what my son is doing for 9th this year. I may have her do MOH 4 later when it comes out, or may end up doing something else instead. US history will cover the same time period, just with a different emphasis, so I'm not overly concerned if we don't get to MOH 4. I was for a time, but I've let it go, LOL! So...we'll just see how it goes.

Merry :-)

Would you mind pming me (or perhaps here is ok) with what books you are using to supplement Brook/River? I've never seen it, but Anne's a good friend around here, and I may be looking at going "off history cycle" for 7th grade. Dd will be re-entering homeschooling after two years of public school, and will be coming back from our sabbatical (probably).

TIA

(sorry for the hijack)

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I have been really busy. Here is the list I am considering:

The Backwoods of Canada (there is an excellent website that you can use for Traill and other Canadian historical studies..... http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/education/008-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=82shctouqnk8gfj4nah6amtjq0&q1=&q2=History&q4=Exploration+and+Settlement&q3=Grades+7+8&interval=20

Shadow in Hawthorn Bay

Cartier Finder of the St. Lawrence Cartier Finder of the St. Lawrence

Pere Marquette: Priest, Pioneer, and Adventurer

Incident at Hawk's Hill

Return to Hawk's Hill

Shadows on the Rock

Maria Chapdelaine: A Tale of the Lake St. John Country

Northwest Passage

I also own the infamous Our Island Story :lol: as well as Kings and Things and may pull tidbits from there as well as from Churchill's histories and a few Time-Life books on monarchs and Europe. I might also go back further in time and include Edmund Campion (persecution of Catholics in England b/c Catholics were also deprived their rights in Quebec under the British. It wasn't until the Quebec Act that Catholics regained civil rights.)

If she hadn't already done an in-depth study of the relations between France and England (which we did last yr for history) I would have included more on those topics. We read Nelson: Hero of Trafalgar, Napoleon and the Battle of Waterloo, and couple of other titles that I can't think of right now. She has also already read quite a bit about the French Indian War (that was a couple of yrs ago. I can only remember Rogers Rangers and The French Indian War off the top of my head.)

:iagree:

Bible - Bible Study Fellowship - Acts

History and Lit. - American, various books, Figuratively Speaking

Geography - map study on his own

Grammar and Writing - Still not 100% sure... and even if I was, I probably wouldn't say until we had used it for at least a month and knew we were sticking with it. :tongue_smilie:

Spelling - SWR

Science - BJU 7

Math - CLE 6

Logic - Art/Arg.

Foreign Language - Visual Link Spanish

Chess, Basketball

Don't worry, we would understand. ;) Oh boy, would I ever...er, uh, I mean "we":lol: