Menu

Favorite Math

Which Math or Math do you use for Elementary?  

1. 1. Which Math or Math do you use for Elementary?

• Math U See
    • Right Start
    • Saxon
    • Singapore
    • Math Mammoth
    • Math on Level
    • Developmental Math
    • Miquon
    • Other: Please post.

I absolutely can't decide between Math U See, RightStart, or Singapore for my young math loving children. They tend to love hands on. I used Saxon the first time around, but I am wondering if there isn't a better choice now.

Multiple Choice !

Edited by StartingOver

For hands-on kids, I'd start with RightStart and move into Singapore. Both use manipulatives. I wouldn't consider Math Mammoth hands-on.

We've used MUS, RS, Math Mammoth, a bit of MEP, and finally Singapore. Singapore is our favorite.

We've used a combination of MUS, various math materials from the Critical Thinking Company (Math Analogies, Balance Math, Mathematical Reasoning, etc.), and lots of 'living math' by way of books (like MathStart series, Sir Cumference series, etc.) and games, math/art combo projects, and 'explorations'. I blog a lot about math at http://www.educatingrisa.com (just click on 'categories' and then on 'math'.) My kids enjoy math, and having just done a standardized test with my eldest (soon to be 9), I have some additional proof that this approach is working for us--his scores were excellent. Good luck finding some materials to use, and I hope you can find a way to enjoy math as a family; IMO that has made the biggest difference in this house. Oh, and don't forget about some excellent math videos, like Mathtacular (1-3, series 4 is weaker), and Donald Duck in MathMagic Land--my kids love these!

I love Singapore but NEED to add CLE for spiral repetition with lots of extras. Miquon will be added in a week or two. I wanted to use just one curriculum but this kid needs variey and it is actually starting to get fun doing all of this.

HTH,

Penny

My oldest did Right Start B-C, then Singapore 3A-4B (currently finishing up the very end of that) with a bit of supplementing with MM "blue".

My 2nd I haven't figured out what to do with just yet. This year he's done MEP Reception and most of 1A plus most of the Singapore 1A textbook only. I've also been supplementing MEP/Singapore with some of the RS methods. I could tell that his conceptual understanding of the chapter in Singapore on addition & subtraction in the teens is weak. So I'm toying with the idea of pulling out either RS A or B when he finishes up Singapore 1A and going through that.

We started with Montessori at home, then used a Singapore workbook, then a bit of Math Mammoth (but my dd did not like the busy pages). Now we do mainly MEP, supplementing with Miquon and CSMP worksheets.

If my dd was not doing Singapore maths in school, that is what I would have done at home.

I'm starting to giggle. I've used 5 math curriculums. AND I've read LIping Ma's book.

We brought a child home from PS to help her and began her with SM. She couldn't do it. Then I switched her back to her old Harcourt book from PS. Then, finally, I got MUS for her. It wasn't the golden ticket for her either, but, by golly, she understood numbers better, and so did I.

I used the MUS way of teaching base 10 with my then K'er and the 4yo. THEY GET IT.

Now ds6 is flying through SM and ds4 is chomping at the bit.

ds12 went through the first 4 LOF books and I put in some MM for review.

dd10 wanted to do LOF fractions, but she needed more review first so we did MM for multiplication and division, then I just got her MUS for fractions. Now she is back on track with LOF.

LOL.

:001_smile:

We're using Math Expressions, which has tons of manipulative work, and is spiral. Oh, and Monkey loves it so much that if he catches me getting ready for it he's been known to demand that I let him do it right.now. Gotta love that!:tongue_smilie:

For K-6 I've used Right Start, Singapore (with IP and CWP), and about 2/3 of the first year of Miquon, but the one I love teaching is MEP. Lesson plans are thorough but not scripted, with enough room for improvisation that I feel the freedom to rise to the occasion during lessons; it's just so much darned fun.

My oldest daughter started with RS A, moved to SM. Now we are doing 3 complete math programs (starting 4th grade next month) SM 4, MEP 4 and Russian math 3/4.

My 4.5 years old son will be doing RS A over summer, then moving to Russian math 1 and MEP 1.

How similar are the Russian materials with MEP? Or other thoughts on how they compare?

Bill

Of the three you listed, RightStart would be the most hands friendly I believe though, of course, all are hands on. My hands on kid does really well partly because of the variety of manipulatives. There is very little pencil/paper work early on.

I can't believe all of my choices are OTHER!

We love BJU Math for grades K-4 (maybe 3....)

I am going to try Teaching Textbooks for grade 5, but the sixth grade level, and supplementing with Life of Fred Fractions... maybe Decimals depending on ds's pace. I might add Singapore Challenging Word Problems.

I chose "other" because we are happy Horizons users here. I have found it to be both incredibly thorough yet gentle in the way it slowly introduces concepts but doesn't let them go until they are mastered. My ds has scored above grade level on all standardized testing and we (up until this year) have only used Horizons. My oldest needed some extra practice with word problems so this year we supplemented with Daily Word Problems.

I will be using Shiller Math, which is Montessori based (lots of manupulatives). I got the manuals pre-owned and will be adding in my own manupulatives from their list, since I have already started getting them from a discount Montessori supply site. When they get older I am thinking Life of Fred, and TT with lots of living math books added in.

I voted other! Two reasons. One, the best math program is the one that works for your child and gets the job done. What's best for one might not be best for someone else or even a sibling ;) Two, my 10yo uses Teaching Textbooks, which wasn't on your list.

I've used mostly BJU 3rd edition through elementary. We switched this year to T4L + Horizons (well...we're just giving Horizons a bit of a try right now, but haven't done it every day). I keep wishing we could go back to BJU, but I think the kids sort of burn out on it.