Menu

Nook or Kindle?

newhsmommy

Reading has finally "clicked" for my 9 year old. She is asking for a Nook for her birthday. At first I was thinking no way, but my DH pointed out it would only encourage reading where ever she may go...good point.

Which one do you prefer? I would looking to buy the most inexpensive models.

Thanks

I love, love, love my classic Nook. I see they have a newer version out now that has a touch screen and looks like it would be even easier to navigate. I like the looks of that too. I originally went with Nook because I can check out library books (even if your library doesn't have that capability there are libraries that you can get a card with that do have that option). I'm not sure if Kindle has this yet, or not. I love it that I can take my books anywhere with me. Also, if you got a Nook color, you could get magazines really cheaply, but that is more expensive.

Kindle!!!!

It has digital ink that is so much easier on the eyes and it reads like an actual book. I really recommend that you go to the store and try out both, that really helped seal the deal for me.

Kindle!!!!

It has digital ink that is so much easier on the eyes and it reads like an actual book. I really recommend that you go to the store and try out both, that really helped seal the deal for me.

:iagree:

And Kindle is enabling library lending this year.

I chose the Kindle because it was lighter and had a longer battery life at the time of my purchase. I also liked having the text-to-speech option. I have a bunch of books on my Kindle that I didn't buy from Amazon. My library doesn't have ebook lending so that's why it wasn't a factor for me.

If I was buying right now, the newest Nook looks pretty good too (not the Nook color). I'm just not so sure if I would want touch screen.

We are a Nook family. I have the color and ds6 is getting a regular one for his birthday. I wanted the internet and app capabilities of the Nook color. For the kids they just get the regular, but they can still use the library and we can share books between devices.

I am not sure if the regular Nook can run apps :bigear:, but if it can I would go for it. My kids love doing flashcards, drawing pad, geography bee, the spelling one, and I got about 5 new ones last night. I never spend more than 1.99 on an app.

Sometimes I wish I would have spent the extra money initally and purchased the nook color. Even though I know why I did not purchase color originally. But when I hear of the apps and think about bedtime stories when we are away from home etc. I really feel like that would have been a worthwile investment. Now I just cant justify multiple nooks. I dont know.

I have a classic Kindle and LOVE it. I would either get that or the classic Nook. I wouldn't get a Nook color because it's basically just a tablet and doesn't have the huge benefit of e-ink, which is so much easier on the eyes. I've found that I have been able to add any book I want with Kindle. It really accepts a wide variety of format and will soon enable library lending, so imo the Nook has nothing on it as far as that goes. It is so light too. I know Walmart carries the Kindle and Target carries the Nook, so you could go and check them out if you like. I don't think you could go wrong with either, though. I've never bought a book from the Amazon store, although I have added free ones they've offered. I've also added books from gutenburg, google books, etc as well, and it was very easy.

My 12 year old chose the Nook...we liked the in-store help. We live a couple of miles from a B&N and it is very convenient to go in and ask questions and get immediate help. Other than that I think it's just a matter of preference. They are both easy on the eyes, and both have a number of additional options that are great.

My 12 year old chose the Nook...we liked the in-store help. We live a couple of miles from a B&N and it is very convenient to go in and ask questions and get immediate help. Other than that I think it's just a matter of preference. They are both easy on the eyes, and both have a number of additional options that are great.

:iagree:

Sometimes I wish I would have spent the extra money initally and purchased the nook color. Even though I know why I did not purchase color originally. But when I hear of the apps and think about bedtime stories when we are away from home etc. I really feel like that would have been a worthwile investment. Now I just cant justify multiple nooks. I dont know.

me too!

We have 4 kindles here. My dh has my old 2nd generation one and my oldest son, dd and I have the current generation of kindle. DH's is 3G/Wifi, ours are just Wifi, which is fine because pretty much everywhere we go has a wifi hotspot. Kindle did have library lending when we bought them but it supposed to be coming soon. I didn't care about this when we bought them because our library is just now starting to have ebooks available for lending. I've never had a problem getting books from Amazon, many classics are free and the ones we usually would buy are $10 or less.

I think if you're thinking of a classic Nook and not color (which I wouldn't get anyway because then you give up the e-ink screen, so it's just like reading on a computer) I really agree with the others that it's simply a matter of which design you like best. I know Target and Best Buy sell Kindles and have displays you can look at and I believe Best Buy also have a Nook on display, so maybe take her and check them out "in hand" so to speak.

I have both the Nook Color and Kindle, and I vastly prefer my Nook Color. I love, love, love my Nook Color. My daughter has appropriated my Kindle, since I never use it anymore.

I get most of my magazines via the Nook now, and the local newspaper. I also have a bunch of apps for things like news and weather, and I like the web browsing features of the Nook better than the more limited Kindle. I prefer the backlit screen. I generally keep the brightness pretty low, but I like being able to turn it up if I'm reading outside.

The Nook also offers a pretty decent selection of kids' books as enhanced Nookbooks. My little guy loves looking at picture books on the Nook. They have "Read to Me" and "Read Myself" options, and double tapping on a word will read it out loud. There are also some interactive enhanced Nookbooks. Oh, and they offer some kids' magazines too, like National Geographic Kids.

For a 9 year old though, if you don't want picture books and magazines, and are just looking for a pure ereader, I'd probably just go with the Kindle, which has fewer bells and whistles. My 9 year old has trouble with the touch screen navigation on the Nook Color, which is quite sensitive.

I don't have either one yet, but I would get the Kindle...It looks more like a regular book, has a longer battery life, and does not go on the internet...I am not sure if all Nooks have internet access, but I would rather the device be used for reading only and not surfing the net, esp. for a child...

It is also easier for me personally to get books from Amazon...I feel they have a better selection...

I don't have either one yet, but I would get the Kindle...It looks more like a regular book, has a longer battery life, and does not go on the internet...I am not sure if all Nooks have internet access, but I would rather the device be used for reading only and not surfing the net, esp. for a child...

It is also easier for me personally to get books from Amazon...I feel they have a better selection...

The Kindle does go on the internet, it's just such a terrible experience that it's not worth the trouble unless you're desperate. Also, the newest Nook has a longer battery life - up to 2 months. I'm almost wishing I had one instead of my Kindle but I think the touchscreen would cause me problems.

Love my kindle!!!! I was opposed to getting such a device for a long time. But, dh got us a kindle and now we want another. It is so easy to use. Easy to download books and the number of free books wonderful. I just purchased quite a few that were under $2 as well. It is light weight and the perfect size for my youngest. We do not have a bn.com near us so I cannot see the Nook in person. We got our kindle from Target so I could look at it and see how it worked prior to buying.

The Kindle does go on the internet, it's just such a terrible experience that it's not worth the trouble unless you're desperate. Also, the newest Nook has a longer battery life - up to 2 months. I'm almost wishing I had one instead of my Kindle but I think the touchscreen would cause me problems.

I LOVE the touchscreen on the Nook--that's one of the big drawbacks to a Kindle, imo! :001_smile:

I really LOVE e-ink. So I love my kindle. BUT I also long for an iPad. I will just have to be the dork that has both with her and switches back and forth between them. NOW to have someone figure out a way to make a small tablet that has an e-ink simulator so I can have the best of both worlds..... now which one of you is up to the task?

I compared them last May and picked the Kindle. I've loved it; the screen is very easy to read. The only thing I don't like is the weird keyboard layout. You don't need keys often, but it's still annoying. The newer Kindles have a qwerty layout.

The color Nook that came out after that is really spiffy. I think I'd still stick with the Kindle though.

One caveat with either, do keep an eye on your child's downloads. I do know a child very interested in sex who downloaded lots of books that his parents would never have approved of. He's not a typical kid, but do keep an eye on things.

I'll put my conclusion at the top :)

In the end-- I have a Nook. My best friend has a Kindle. We are both very happy. The price point is very close. If being able to replace the battery yourself instead of shipping it back for a refurbished unit, lending books to others, and getting books from the library, and getting freebies (Nook also offers a free (good!) book every Friday is important to you, go Nook. If you just love love love Amazon, go Kindle. Either way, you will end up happy and with not much reason to regret your decision.

A few things about the Nook:

Nook does use an e-ink screen and also reads/looks just like a book. This is not a Kindle-only feature (unless people are thinking about Nook color).

Nook -- you can lend your books to other people for up to 2 weeks, which is a nice feature!

Nook-- user replaceable battery, VERY inexpensive at B&N stores. This doesn't come in to play often, but if you keep the device for a long period of time, it eventually will (think of a laptop you have kept for a while and had the battery stop recharging efficiently; all rechargable batteries eventually have this problem). With Kindle, you have to ship the unit back to Amazon, they will ship you back a refurbished unit, and you then have to redownload all of your books again (and hope none of them have "disappeared" from your online library in the meantime. With Nook, either walk into any B&N store or order a new battery online, charge it up, pop it in, and you are off to the races.

Customer Service: I have heard good things from happy Kindle owners about Amazon CS. I am personally very happy with B&N customer service. I was flying with my Nook, and an overly aggressive TSA agent smashed my Nook by picking it up and bashing it on the rollers at the x-ray machine (not sure what he was hoping to accomplish by doing this, but that is a way off topic discussion). B&N replaced my out of warranty Nook, free of charge, no shipping, and absolutely hassle free, overnight delivery; I had my new unit the next day and had 2 weeks to send my old unit back (in a postage-paid by B&N mailer). Talk about service.

Nook-- even my original (2nd gen, I think) Nook has superb battery life, fast page turns, and is very, very, very light. Even in a leather case, it weighs less than most paperback books. Amazon Kindle of the same screen size weighs a miniscule amount less, but according to my low-muscle-toned 7 year old, it's very easy to handle. So no, not enough difference to make a difference to a child.

Nook-- reads PDF files. Not sure if Kindle does that yet or not.

Have fun reading!

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

I'll put my conclusion at the top :)

In the end-- I have a Nook. My best friend has a Kindle. We are both very happy. The price point is very close. If being able to replace the battery yourself instead of shipping it back for a refurbished unit, lending books to others, and getting books from the library, and getting freebies (Nook also offers a free (good!) book every Friday is important to you, go Nook. If you just love love love Amazon, go Kindle. Either way, you will end up happy and with not much reason to regret your decision.

A few things about the Nook:

Nook does use an e-ink screen and also reads/looks just like a book. This is not a Kindle-only feature (unless people are thinking about Nook color).

Nook -- you can lend your books to other people for up to 2 weeks, which is a nice feature!

Nook-- user replaceable battery, VERY inexpensive at B&N stores. This doesn't come in to play often, but if you keep the device for a long period of time, it eventually will (think of a laptop you have kept for a while and had the battery stop recharging efficiently; all rechargable batteries eventually have this problem). With Kindle, you have to ship the unit back to Amazon, they will ship you back a refurbished unit, and you then have to redownload all of your books again (and hope none of them have "disappeared" from your online library in the meantime. With Nook, either walk into any B&N store or order a new battery online, charge it up, pop it in, and you are off to the races.

Customer Service: I have heard good things from happy Kindle owners about Amazon CS. I am personally very happy with B&N customer service. I was flying with my Nook, and an overly aggressive TSA agent smashed my Nook by picking it up and bashing it on the rollers at the x-ray machine (not sure what he was hoping to accomplish by doing this, but that is a way off topic discussion). B&N replaced my out of warranty Nook, free of charge, no shipping, and absolutely hassle free, overnight delivery; I had my new unit the next day and had 2 weeks to send my old unit back (in a postage-paid by B&N mailer). Talk about service.

Nook-- even my original (2nd gen, I think) Nook has superb battery life, fast page turns, and is very, very, very light. Even in a leather case, it weighs less than most paperback books. Amazon Kindle of the same screen size weighs a miniscule amount less, but according to my low-muscle-toned 7 year old, it's very easy to handle. So no, not enough difference to make a difference to a child.

Nook-- reads PDF files. Not sure if Kindle does that yet or not.

Have fun reading!

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

Jen, that post was just fabulous!!

Thank you, Thank you for all the wonderful insight on both readers!

I went and saw both yesterday and was feel in the Nook would be a good fit for her...then my husband met up and is so PRO Nook Color. He likes that there are automatic updates loaded as soon as they are available, and feels like it will grow with her... I'm not too sure

I was talking with dh last night as well about ds6. We decided to wait on getting him a Nook for his birthday. I will look for cheaper Nooks to get for all th ekids for reading, but my 6yr old really wanted the Apps! ;) If you can I would go with the Nook color for your dd.

I went and saw both yesterday and was feel in the Nook would be a good fit for her...then my husband met up and is so PRO Nook Color. He likes that there are automatic updates loaded as soon as they are available, and feels like it will grow with her... I'm not too sure

Keep in mind that a backlit screen isn't the best on the eyes for extended reading periods, hence why dedicated ereaders have the e-ink. I guess it depends what you're really looking for.

Based on comments above I wanted to just add that Kindle does view PDFs and also has 2 week book lending. I don't know about the regular Nook but the Kindle updates itself automatically also. I imagine the regular, non-color Nook is the same.

I strictly limit screen time and electronics in my house. So, for my dc I would not get them a Nook Color. I simply would not want to have another device in the house that I would have to put restrictions on. With a strictly e-reader, whether Nook or Kindle, I wouldn't be worried about limiting time on it like I would with a tablet and apps.

That's me though. :auto:

Kindle is what I chose. I can download Nook app. onto my DroidX and iPad2 so I don't need a "Nook" device. For that matter neither do I need a "Kindle" device, but I LOVE my Kindle! I can choose to read my Kindle books on any of my devices but almost always read it on the Kindle device. :D

I'm so glad I don't have the money to buy one of these right now. It is such a HARD decision! The only reason I really want the Nook Color is because it is basically a tablet, and we don't have a laptop. So that would be really nice. But, now that Kindle is going to enable library lending (that was a HUGE drawback for me when I wanted one last Christmas...) I just don't know! I love to read these threads but usually leave them more torn. :tongue_smilie:

Nook. I'm *very* happy with my Nook. It isn't a color Nook--I don't know if that makes a difference as far as ease of reading; the pages look just like the pages of a book. And I think it's lightweight.

I do have a local B&N, so being able to go into the store and read for free any book B&N sells is a plus.

• 1 month later...

I know this tppic is a little old but I still wanted add somethings that might help. When I was in the market for a e-reader several things were important to me;

Price

able to upload free ebooks

wifi

note taking capability.

zoom(I don't mean change font feature)

ability to add space via sd card etc.

At that time the nook came close to my needs so that is what I bought at the time. But the sony reader came in a close second. I eventually bought the Sony read because I like being able to write/type notes and it had better zoom capability that the nook did not have at that time. Now nook has come up with the nook touch that looks to be better than the original. Hands down the nook color offers way more than the nook original, sony and kindle. However, the one thing I wish they had to text-to-speech feature that kindle has. Now everything seems to be going tablets which offer the ability to watch movie,play games surf the net, e-books etc.

What it all boils down to is what features matter most to you.

I have to Nook Color, and I am also going to buy the new B&W touch Nook. :D

Kindle owner here, and very happy with our choice. I did see the Nooks in a B&N store, but I go there so infrequently (closest is an hour away) and amazon is already my default online shopping store, that Kindle seemed a natural choice. We also have two iPads in the family, and I LOVE the kindle apps for iPad, but I still prefer to read from an e-ink reader. Also, although the touch screen capabilities using the iPad's Kindle app are pretty nifty, I don't think I'd want to have to deal with that all the time.

I've had both. I originally chose the Nook because of library lending. But after just a few days I returned it because it was so much heavier than my mom's Kindle. The eInk really was better on the Kindle too. So now I have a kindle and I love it. I also think the file management is easier on it... you can email pdfs to your kindle to read and they will be converted to Kindle text for free! Love that feature for all of the homeschooling pdfs I've collected here and there. And as others have mentioned, library lending should be available on the Kindle sometime this year. Although around here, the waitlist for library ebooks is horrendous. But maybe that will get better as supply catches up with demand.

DH recently went to check out the new Nook touchscreen though and said that it was probably the ereader he would get were he to buy one. It's been doing great in reviews too.

Honestly, I don't think you can wrong with either one - but if you can get your hands on them to see for yourself first all the better! FYI, I had purchased my Nook at Best Buy because they had a 60 day return policy vs 30 days at Barnes and Noble. Although granted, it only took me two days to decide I preferred the Kindle.

It's a bit annoying how you buy one this month and next month they're offering a new one with a new size with new sized covers which means yours will be obsolete when you need to buy physical accessories.

I have the old nook (b&w) which is fine but I don't use it too much. I can usually find books cheaper than the ebooks! Also, I didn't like it for the bible study I was doing as I wasn't on the same page as everyone else and you were supposed to write in the book.

It WILL be nice to bring along on vacation and I love that I share with my sister's account since she is a book-aholic and keeps buying new nookbooks! I also like the cheap 99cent classic collections. It has actually encouraged me to read classics like nothing else has :)

I wish I could download pdf's and googlebooks, etc. DH is wanting and IPAD so I would expect we could use that in the future for lots of apps and pdfs.