Menu

So what do I do about the dog tonight?

A couple of hours ago Baxter almost took off dd's right cheek.

He was sitting on the couch and she was to one side of him. She reached in front of him but down to the floor to pick up a toy. He jumped up barked and snapped.

I yelled, dd said he just brushed her cheek with his snout. He is outside on his lead now and I'm not sure what to do next. Dh has no idea either.

I hate to leave him outside all night. He has never been outside all night. If I put him in his crate he will howl all night. I need to make a decision soon since it is almost bedtime.

I don't know what prompted the "attack." He has been getting crotchety in his old age (he is 6) and doesn't like little kids any more. I usually watch him like a hawk or put him in his crate when our little 5 year old friend comes to visit.

What do I do with him? Dd will be heartbroken if we have to put him down.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:s, I don't know what I'd do, probably sleep on the couch, near the crate, to calm the dog, but still have him in there, safely away from the children. Talk to your vet tomorrow. Maybe he/she will have ideas.

Do you think he would have actually bit your DD?

I ask because my Cocker mix doesn't like kids. He will attack as if he will bite but he would never actually do it - he is a big faker.

Can you train your dog to go to a dog bed? No more going on the couch, just have him on his dog bed and make sure DD leaves him alone.

Sorry :( I would either keep him in the crate or outside for the night. Is he a big dog? My family had a little terrier and he snapped a few times when older, but it was not a problem. In-laws had a middle-aged very overweight bassett hound that they had to put down once he started snapping on a regular basis.

You're not going to like my answer...we would get rid of him. I would take him to the pound and let them know he is a good dog but doesn't like kids.

FTR- Dh and I agree, as much as we love our dogs we wil immediately get rid of them if they snap/bite at one of our children. Our children are way more important than the dogs.

Sorry :( I would either keep him in the crate or outside for the night. Is he a big dog? My family had a little terrier and he snapped a few times when older, but it was not a problem. In-laws had a middle-aged very overweight bassett hound that they had to put down once he started snapping on a regular basis.

He is a Bassett hound wannabe.

You're not going to like my answer...we would get rid of him. I would take him to the pound and let them know he is a good dog but doesn't like kids.

FTR- Dh and I agree, as much as we love our dogs we wil immediately get rid of them if they snap/bite at one of our children. Our children are way more important than the dogs.

No, actually your answer is my first reaction.

Dd is going to bed with me tonight and I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Ditto. If the child did nothing wrong (as in hurt the dog or something like that) I would never trust the dog again and would be too scared to let it around my kids. We have had this happen twice...one dog actually bit and he went straight to the pound, one snapped and he ended up in an outdoor pen until we found him a new home with an older couple with no kids.

As much as we love our animals....kids safety trumps a dog anyday. We currently have the worlds best lab who kids have fallen on accidentally and she has never even uttered a growl a them.

:iagree:

I'm sorry.

I'd take him to the vet, to at least rule out any health issues that may have prompted this. My first dog was a Bassett, and before he was a year old, his personality completely changed, snapping, etc.

Turned out he was in extreme pain from hip dysplasia (sp).

If its a health issue that could be fixed, then thats what I'd do.

If its not...I won't have an animal in my home thats not safe for children. Period.

Wow- I can empathize...It is rough to have to get rid of a dog. We didn't have one in our home very long, but as soon as he started snapping at the kids, we found another home for him with no kids. We worked with a rescue. The kids really didn't want to part with him. However, when he snapped at my daughters head, just left little dots which I was told was normal pack behavior, that was it. I didn't want something worse to happen. Once they bite, and break skin, they actually have to be put down.

If this is new behavior, I'd take him to the vet to rule out other issues.

If the vet gives the all clear or says it is an issue that can't be corrected - dog would have to go to a new home.

I have plenty of patience for animals defending themselves. Kids being rough for example wouldn't get much sympathy from me.

But I have NO tolerance for an animal I can't trust in my home with my family. Others? Sure, crate or put outside for visits. (Tho I would personally work hard to train to avoid even that.)

But if you are seriously feeling like your dd must sleep with you tonight to be safe from the dog? No. Treatment if possible. Gone the next day if not. Hopefully to a new home with someone who doesn't have kids.

:grouphug:

A. 6 is not old for a dog. It's middle age, mature adult (unless he is a giant breed dog over 120# or so).

B. You can't take a chance with a kid's safety. Zero tolerance here.

C. Your vet is the first place to go. Either to assess some problem (pain most likely due to dental disease or arthritis) that might be fixable, to refer you to a behaviorist for further assessment, or to euthanize.

(((hugs))) What a horrible situation.

ETA: D. DO NOT REHOME THIS DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are giving up a pet due to aggression, it is utterly irresponsible to rehome. Euthanize him. Do not endanger someone down the road. Only exception would be someone who is extremely knowledgable about dogs AND able to be extremely responsible. . . i.e., a vet or behaviorist or other professional animal person. NOT A RESCUE organization (which may likely rehome to someone without fully disclosing issues and/or screening owners)!

Edited by StephanieZ

Hmmm.....11 isn't a little kid. And six isn't old for a dog. He grew up with her, so it's not like he's just not used to kids or that she is totally spastic and hyper and unpredictable. I would definitely have him checked by the vet.

Could it be that he was startled and not snapping, but just barking? And she was next to him leaning down so he brushed her cheek? I don't know. Just trying to imagine possible scenarios.

I would just have dd sleep in her room with the door closed and the dog not able to get to her.

Did he actually hurt your dd or just snap? I have a cocker spaniel who is almost 6 and he has done that before, but he never has actually tried to bite or hurt the kids...just snapped a little. If this is the case with your dog, I would probably ignore it and just move on as normal. If he truly BIT her and you take him to a shelter, they will put him down.

I ask because my Cocker mix doesn't like kids. He will attack as if he will bite but he would never actually do it - he is a big faker.

:iagree:Exactly (must be a cocker thing, cause mine is purebred and does this all the time...but only when the kids bug him...never unprovoked and my kids can be really ANNOYING trying to hug and wallow him to death!)

Has Baxter done this before? Is it possible that she leaned on him and startled him and he just reacted without any malice? Bassets, and basset wannabes, don't like to be disturbed when they're sleeping. I like the idea of getting him a super comfy pet bed and breaking him of the sofa habit. That way when he falls asleep, your dd won't be near. I'd also look for a really good trainer and get an evaluation, a vet exam is a good idea too, before even considering getting rid of him.

When a dog really wants to bite someone, they don't usually miss and won't give up after one try. I think he was probably startled with her face coming so close to his while he was laying on the sofa.

Halcyon, I think it's better they growl than attack. Dogs have only so many ways of letting us know what they want. I'd take that as a clear sign. I'd also consider some training a must.

Check with a vet and make sure he isn't in pain. A dog in pain will act more aggressively than normal. If there is no pain issue and you would like to keep the dog, consider proper dog training. The dog needs to know the proper chain of command, that he's at the bare bottom on the totem pole under the children. A good trainer will involve the children in training the dog so the dog knows they are boss too.

If either the vet or the trainer thinks the dog is beyond hope, euthanize the dog. I learned with one dog we had that rehoming is not an option with aggressive dogs. Even if the new owner takes on the dog knowing the dog has issues, you can be held liable if something happens.

ETA: I missed that he was on the sofa. No dogs allowed on the sofa or bed. Being allowed up with the humans, makes them physically on the same playing field. That means the kids aren't the master of the dog. The dog needs to see that the kids are master, too...by being allowed in the comfy places they aren't, by providing food, by giving commands they must follow.

Edited by joannqn

Could he be ill? I think it's good advice to take him to the vet for a thorough physical and some solid objective advice. :grouphug:

this, did she accidently hurt him in anyway, pinching him etc.

We had a dog that bit my child, we kept the dog.

but the inccident was a total accident on all acounts. Ds was shutting the back door and the dog was laying down there by it and he caught her tail in the door. and she snapped. She never did it again.

oh he was only 5 and I had no idea she was by the door.

When you say that Baxter "almost took off DD's cheek" do you mean because he snapped his teeth so close to her, it seems like he could have seriously injured her? That his teeth did not actually touch her skin? Because if that is the case, you have a much better, safer situation on your hands then you might otherwise, although I am sure that it is upsetting and scary.

I've done quite a bit of animal rescue, and trained with several animal behaviorists, so I am not just giving my opinion, this is my informed opinion. ;) But the fact is that dogs are extraordinarily sensitive with how they use their teeth and mouths, and they are much, much faster than a human. When humans measure their reaction time by pressing a lighted button, and they're doing very well, the fact is that a dog can bite twice in the amount of time it takes a quick human to press that button. They are faster than we are. If Baxter meant to bite your DD, he could easily have done so before she could have moved away.

Also, there is no dog that won't bite once a certain threshold has been passed. For some dogs, that threshold may be very high, like having his or her tail slammed in a door, for others, it is quite low, and they'll bite when you reach for their food bowl, or grab for their collar. The key issue for any dog is not how high the bite threshold, but how good the bite inhibition once that threshold is passed. You want a dog that will do just what yours did--snap near, but not touching, the skin. You want a dog that knows, no matter how startled/angry/hurt they may feel, that human skin does not get chomped down on. And that is what your dog showed.

Now, ideally, his bite threshold would be higher than just reaching across him when he's lying on the couch. If he were my dog, he would not be lying on the couch ever again, since he's treating it like a spot he must defend. And I would also take him to the vet, since dogs with long backs and short legs can have painful hip or spine problems that can lower their bite threshold. And I would also begin the "nothing in life is free" training program, which you can google for more information. (Basically, it means that you and your kids ask the dog to obey a command, like "sit" or "down" before he gets anything--dinner, his leash put on, or the back door opened for him.)

But I would not assume that you have to get rid of him immediately. If he has good bite inhibition, which he demonstrated by snapping AT your daughter and not actually biting her face, then his bite threshold can be improved without danger.

Sounds like a stressful evening for everyone! :grouphug:

Just to update this.

As we were making plans, phone calls to the vet, etc., dd came to me and quietly told me that she blew in his face when she leaned over. :glare:

She didn't want to get into trouble, but she also didn't want to lose her dog. So she 'fessed up.

She lost a few privileges for my trouble, and is Baxter's slave for the foreseeable future for his trouble.

Just to update this.

As we were making plans, phone calls to the vet, etc., dd came to me and quietly told me that she blew in his face when she leaned over. :glare:

She didn't want to get into trouble, but she also didn't want to lose her dog. So she 'fessed up.

She lost a few privileges for my trouble, and is Baxter's slave for the foreseeable future for his trouble.

That would do it. Our 1 year old pit/lab is the only dog I've ever known that actually likes to have us blow in her face. Every other dog I've known hates that.

Sounds like the dog was exercising some careful and restrained discipline. :001_smile:

ETA: I missed that he was on the sofa. No dogs allowed on the sofa or bed. Being allowed up with the humans, makes them physically on the same playing field. That means the kids aren't the master of the dog. The dog needs to see that the kids are master, too...by being allowed in the comfy places they aren't, by providing food, by giving commands they must follow.

Agree with this-if you let the dog on the bed/couch you have told him he is on par with the kids. I am not a fan of offing the dog for one incident that wasn't a flat out attack. He could have been scared he was going to be hurt, maybe he's been hurt by the kid before and you just weren't there to see it, maybe he does have something wrong. What we know for sure is that he has been misinformed of his status in the family. Start doing some discipline and have the kid(s) feed him, demote his sleeping areas, let the kid(s) do simple commands to him and enforce his obedience. And get him checked out at the vet if you think he's sore-he might have just anticipated getting his hide pulled or an elbow to the gut and defended himself. Keep him supervised when he's with the kids, make him a play pen area in the corner of the room if need be or even tie him to a couch leg if necessary until you get a handle on the situation.

Good luck-I know it's scary but try not to jump the gun, think like a mediator!

That would do it. Our 1 year old pit/lab is the only dog I've ever known that actually likes to have us blow in her face. Every other dog I've known hates that.

Sounds like the dog was exercising some careful and restrained discipline. :001_smile:

Whoops, this was posted while I was typing away! :) Glad you have an answer to the situation. I always told my kids that the dog was allowed to bite them if they teased him/her-they had to learn how to act around dogs as much as the dogs had to know how to act around them! Good on her for being honest about it too.

Just to update this.

Ouch - lesson learned for dd! Poor kid. Good for her, though, for finally telling you - the guilt must have been eating her alive.

My kids do that to our lab on purpose because they think she likes it. She doesn't. Who would? She's too much of a lady so she just gets in one really big, wet, quick lick right in their faces and turns and snubs them.

ETA: D. DO NOT REHOME THIS DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are giving up a pet due to aggression, it is utterly irresponsible to rehome. Euthanize him. Do not endanger someone down the road. Only exception would be someone who is extremely knowledgable about dogs AND able to be extremely responsible. . . i.e., a vet or behaviorist or other professional animal person. NOT A RESCUE organization (which may likely rehome to someone without fully disclosing issues and/or screening owners)!

Unfortunately, we saw this too. We gave up our cat who HATED kids & would attack them unprovoked, but she never harmed adults, and I gave them a very detailed history, yet I saw her adoption post up online with NO mention of "no kids" or anything of the sort. They made her sound like an angel, perfect for any family. :glare:

Unfortunately, we saw this too. We gave up our cat who HATED kids & would attack them unprovoked, but she never harmed adults, and I gave them a very detailed history, yet I saw her adoption post up online with NO mention of "no kids" or anything of the sort. They made her sound like an angel, perfect for any family. :glare:

I am sure SOME rescue groups are like this, but when we had to rehome a dog (growling at our 1 yr old ds, and the dog was a rescue already, so unknown history; awesome dog otherwise), we worked with our local purebred rescue for his breed, and they were great! His bio online was a bit light about the no kid issue, but they made it very clear when anyone asked about him. He ended up in a great home with no kids and they adore him.

Sorry to hijack, but what would you say about a dog who growled at a child when he wanted to be left alone? Is that normal behavior?

For some dogs it is. Our cocker x won't bite but will grumble if he's had enough. I tell the kids that that is the only way he has to tell them to stop, so they need to listen. Our dogs are considered family & honestly, I grumble a little when I want to be left alone, too.:lol:

But...biting is a different story. Like I said, our dogs are family, so I would for sure be at the vet trying to figure out what to do. Getting rid of them would be last resort.

Just to update this.

I'm so glad she came clean!

For some dogs it is. Our cocker x won't bite but will grumble if he's had enough. I tell the kids that that is the only way he has to tell them to stop, so they need to listen. Our dogs are considered family & honestly, I grumble a little when I want to be left alone, too.:lol:

But...biting is a different story. Like I said, our dogs are family, so I would for sure be at the vet trying to figure out what to do. Getting rid of them would be last resort.

We took the opposite route. When our 1 year old was younger and growled at us we would keep doing just what we were doing so that she got the message that the growl did little. She stills growls on occasion but there are no other agrresive signs and it's generally when she's dead tired.

We made sure the pure thing was properly mauled and tugged on daily so she got used to that treatment as we were a little worried about what might happen if a strange child decded to poke and prod her. Now that there's a baby on the way I'm quite glad we did that.

I always told my kids that the dog was allowed to bite them if they teased him/her-they had to learn how to act around dogs as much as the dogs had to know how to act around them!

While I believe that children should absolutely be careful and respectful around animals, I also believe animals should know that the child is the "alpha." From a dog's point of view (pack mentality), the alpha has the right to do pretty much whatever they want to the lower dogs in the pack.

I would demote the dog quickly. It should never be allowed to eat first or while the children are eating. The children should be the ones to "allow" the dog to eat (feed the dog). The dog should *always* work for its treats (kids work them with obedience training). The dog should never be allowed to be the first one in/out of a door and its head should never be higher or equal to the child's head. (No dogs on the furniture.)

I can't imagine that it should be okay for a dog to snap at a person just for getting a little air in the face. If I had a dog that sensitive, I'd never have it around children. That's a potentially unsafe situation. Maybe, next time, the dog would decide to bite to teach the lesson to the child.

We took the opposite route. When our 1 year old was younger and growled at us we would keep doing just what we were doing so that she got the message that the growl did little.

She stills growls on occasion but there are no other agrresive signs and it's generally when she's dead tired.

This has been our end result also. He really is gentle

We made sure the pure thing was properly mauled and tugged on daily so she got used to that treatment as we were a little worried about what might happen if a strange child decded to poke and prod her. Now that there's a baby on the way I'm quite glad we did that.

We also did this & he is quite tolerant now which is wonderful, but when he has had enough & grumbles, they know to leave him alone.