Menu

Harry Potter like series for adults?

Have you ever read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke? I'd call this Harry Potter for adults. AMAZING book.

Thank you for the suggestion. Even better my little library claims to have a copy.

I'm not sure why I enjoyed the series so much. I do like easy to read books and I am currently interested in the BBC series about Merlin so guess I am just in the mood to read some magical books. I would like to avoid anything super confusing. Keeping up with 15 random characters POV is hard for me (a recently read UGH!).

Ooh, beaten to those two suggestions. Strange and Norrell is especially good.

Also, Game of Thrones? But it does depend on what you like about Harry Potter. Good adult fantasy doesn't necessarily mean like Harry Potter, I suppose.

Not all series and/or adult books, but I really liked the following:

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy (I think this is classified as young adult)

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (another children's series)

The Arthurian series by Mary Stewart:

The Crystal Cave

The Hollow Hills

The Last Enchantment

The Wicked Day

The Prince and the Pilgrim

Ah, dottieanna beat me to it!!! These are my all-time favorite books. I take them anywhere that I know I'll need to be carried away completely (e.g., airplanes, long lines). I think my next set will have to be hardbound because I've worn through two paperback sets already :D Definitely read these!

Edited by melissel

Ah, dottieanna beat me to it!!! These are my all-time favorite books. I take them anywhere that I know I'll need to be carried away completely (e.g., airplanes, long lines). I think my next set will have to be hardbound because I've worn through two paperback sets already :D Definitely read these!

This might just help me decide which of these great options to try first.

I was think of the Ursula Le Guin books as well. I'm starting _Dark is Rising_ and _Gregor the Overlander_ which I hear are similar books, though aimed at the teen audience.

As a heads up, the George R.R. Martin series _Game of Thrones_ is, um, very adult in content. I sent the book back to the library as I was afraid ds_9 would pick it up and begin reading something he shouldn't.

How noir can you go?

If you want to keep it lighter Mary Stewart's Arthurian series is good. There are also a whole host of mystery and contemporary series authors that showcase magic -- Shirley Damsgaard, Casey Daniels, Madelyn Alt are all light on the noir. For epic magic saga there is Terry Brooks and Robert Jordan.

For middle of the road, leaning to a darker shade: Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, Melanie Rawn, Kim Harrison, George R. R. Martin, some of Laurell K. Hamilton.

But Hamilton leans even a little darker in some places. If you're not shy of the truly noir Simon R. Green is good, but you've got to have a pretty strong stomach. I love the Nightside series, especially.

Agreeing with Stewart's Arthurian series... George RR Martin is brilliant - but the books are definitely more "adult" than Harry Potter. Jim Butcher's Dresden Files is entertaining.

I'd also highly recommend Brandon Sanderson - especially his Mistborn series. It's wonderful.

And Patrick Rothfuss - love him - The Name of the Wind is the first book - Wise Man's Fear is the second (it's an incomplete series, though).

These are not exactly the same, being more fantasy comedy, but any of Terry Pratchett's books. There are a lot of them. They are supposedly older teenagers books but I think they work better for adults as some of the jokes are quite adult really. The Tiffany Aching series he wrote recently are a good read. For an adult they are are light fun easy reading.

There is a YA series that I like. The Magician is the first book, by Michael Scott. Followed by The Sorceress, The Necromancer, and The Warlock.

They aren't ground shaking or anything, just entertaining. I actually think they would be pretty good for older kids as no one actually seems to be killed, there are no sexual overtones, and I don't recall any particularly horrid language.

The Arthurian series by Mary Stewart:

The Crystal Cave

The Hollow Hills

The Last Enchantment

The Wicked Day

The Prince and the Pilgrim

I enjoyed these but if she is looking for something along the lines of Harry Potter, I don't think they have the warmth and wit. They are grand fantasy but they don't have the same "feel".

Just my .02, ignore me. :)

As a heads up, the George R.R. Martin series _Game of Thrones_ is, um, very adult in content. I sent the book back to the library as I was afraid ds_9 would pick it up and begin reading something he shouldn't.

:iagree: Though I made it through two of the books before they had to go. Way too adult for this adult :D

For epic magic saga there is Terry Brooks and Robert Jordan.

I am a huge fan of Robert Jordan and am anxiously awaiting the last book this fall!! The only reason I didn't mention him is that Robert Jordan's book have multiple characters and plots going on. I think the OP said she didn't want to keep track of too many characters ;)

I immediately thought of the Belgariad by Eddings as well. I found that Pawn of Prophecy (the first one) took a bit of time to get into, but after that the fun and adventure don't stop. Love them!

Have you finished The Belgariad and the Mallorean? There is also The Elenium series that starts with The Diamond Throne.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and agreements. I knew I could count on all of you to point me in the right direction. Now I just need to convince my daughter to hurry up and finish The Magician's Nephew so we can go to the library (she just has a few more chapters).

How noir can you go?

If you want to keep it lighter Mary Stewart's Arthurian series is good. There are also a whole host of mystery and contemporary series authors that showcase magic -- Shirley Damsgaard, Casey Daniels, Madelyn Alt are all light on the noir. For epic magic saga there is Terry Brooks and Robert Jordan.

For middle of the road, leaning to a darker shade: Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, Melanie Rawn, Kim Harrison, George R. R. Martin, some of Laurell K. Hamilton.

But Hamilton leans even a little darker in some places. If you're not shy of the truly noir Simon R. Green is good, but you've got to have a pretty strong stomach. I love the Nightside series, especially.

Is Terry Brooks a series writer or do his books stand alone? My library seems to have a few, but didn't know if I needed to start somewhere.

Is Terry Brooks a series writer or do his books stand alone? My library seems to have a few, but didn't know if I needed to start somewhere.

Series writer. I believe "The Sword of Shannara" would be the first book. I've been meaning to read this again. I started the series many years ago but then found Robert Jordan and never came back to them.

And Patrick Rothfuss - love him - The Name of the Wind is the first book - Wise Man's Fear is the second (it's an incomplete series, though).

:iagree:

I will add my voice to Robert Jordan, but it is very complex. I used to have a spreadsheet keeping track of various characters/subplots so I would know what was happening in later books.

Also Tad Williams - the first in the trilogy is called the Dragonbone Chair.

For David Eddings, I've only read the Elenium trilogy and the Tamuli (??) trilogy that's set after it. I really enjoyed the banter between the characters.

I will add my voice to Robert Jordan, but it is very complex. I used to have a spreadsheet keeping track of various characters/subplots so I would know what was happening in later books.

Yes, anything that needs a spreadsheet to keep up with is more complicated than I need right now. Thanks for the information.

More YA than adult, you may enjoy The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper if you haven't already read it. It's set in mid 19th century Wales but has an Arthurian twist.

ETA - The fourth novel in Christopher Paolini's Inheritance series is coming out in November (F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!), you may want to read to reread the first three before then.

Edited by AuntieM

Any suggestions? Before anyone assumes I don't think adults can read HP, I've been through the series once already and we are currently working through the audiobooks as a family.

I don't know if this is a direction you'd want, but I really like HP and I've really enjoyed Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. It is science fiction, not fantasy, but I think she has a similar ability to write vivid characters. I read the books very out of order. Cordelia's Honor (comprised of Shards of Honor and Barrayar novelas) is the first chronologically. The character Miles shows up around book 3 and is the main character from then out.

There are some vivid torture scenes in later books and a lot of variety on gender and s*xual issues (typical for modern sci fi). But I have really enjoyed them.