Menu

May 21st- why that date?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be presumptuous if you were counting on being raptured due to your own merit, but Christians put their faith in the merits and work of Christ and since He earned salvation for us, then we aren't really presuming upon anything but the righteousness of Christ, His finished work on the cross and His resurrection from the dead.

I think it is a common misconception of unbelievers to think that Christians believe God saved them based on their own goodness. Christians do not believe that. They believe that God saved them based on Christ's righteousness - even the belief (faith) is a gift of God so that no man can boast. ( For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9)

Thanks for the lecture, Kathleen, but this "unbeliever" used to be a "believer" and I do know the path of Salvation.

I still think it is presumptuous to assume you are going to get Raptured. If you believe that god knows your heart, you cannot possibly know if you are chosen or not. You cannot possibly know if he believes in YOU enough to Rapture you.

Thanks for the lecture, Kathleen, but this "unbeliever" used to be a "believer" and I do know the path of Salvation.

I still think it is presumptuous to assume you are going to get Raptured. If you believe that god knows your heart, you cannot possibly know if you are chosen or not. You cannot possibly know if he believes in YOU enough to Rapture you.

Sorry if I offended you. I do not know you personally so have no way of knowing what you know about Christianity. Wow.

I read today that Camping estimates that about 3% of the world's population is going to be raptured, so apparently he thinks most people who claim to be Christians are presuming too much, too.

Sorry if I offended you. I do not know you personally so have no way of knowing what you know about Christianity. Wow.

I have found that those who claim not to believe in God are often the ones more offended by Him (or the mention of any part of Christianity).

If you believe that you can not know if you are going to be raptured, then I am afraid you don't know as much about salvation as you think you do.

You know, we've read about a lot of peoples this year who adopted their own doomsday philosophy when their societies started to fall apart or were stressed (the Native Americans and the Ghost Dance, for instance; the Maori's and Ringatu, etc., etc.)

It seems to me that the stresses of economic crises and collapses around the world, natural disasters, and wars are taking a toll on folks.

I have found that those who claim not to believe in God are often the ones more offended by Him (or the mention of any part of Christianity).

If you believe that you can not know if you are going to be raptured, then I am afraid you don't know as much about salvation as you think you do.

Oh boy. :laugh:

wait….where is it…. aha. :lurk5:

You're right, it is! But this is all supposed to be happening at 6pm in each time zone.:glare:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

That made me laugh my fanny off when I read this in a HuffPost article and also the "mathematics" that prove it's going to happen. So we're going to have a Rapture Wave?

The equation behind this is hysterical. :D

It would be presumptuous if you were counting on being raptured due to your own merit, but Christians put their faith in the merits and work of Christ and since He earned salvation for us, then we aren't really presuming upon anything but the righteousness of Christ, His finished work on the cross and His resurrection from the dead.

I think it is a common misconception of unbelievers to think that Christians believe God saved them based on their own goodness. Christians do not believe that. They believe that God saved them based on Christ's righteousness - even the belief (faith) is a gift of God so that no man can boast. ( For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9)

Christians believe a whole lot of things. Some believe it's not by grace alone that we are saved (I'm rather a letter of James sort of gal myself) and some think the Kingdom is already here and the rapture stuff is just not happening. Me again.

What's presumptuous is assuming that the beliefs of one denomination define all of Christianity. If there were any truth in that there wouldn't be more then one denomination.

Edited by WishboneDawn

I read today that Camping estimates that about 3% of the world's population is going to be raptured, so apparently he thinks most people who claim to be Christians are presuming too much, too.

Do you happen to know what he says about kids? At least Jenkins and LaHaye took that into account.

I am hoping that this is not a continued trend. When Camping wrote 1994 he actually set things up to include a back-up date of 2011. So when it didn't happen in 1994, his followers were a little disappointed, but were already set on waiting until 2011. As far as I know he hasn't set anymore back-up dates. So I really hope and pray that when this passes it will be the end of his deception.

I sincerely hope and pray that you are right.

Do you happen to know what he says about kids? At least Jenkins and LaHaye took that into account.

no, but that's a good question. It was just an offhand thing tossed into an article I read. It wasn't sourced, so I have no idea how accurate it is. I imagine one could go wade through all the stuff on his website to try to find it, though...if one had time. Which, of course, we don't anymore :D

Yeah Audrey. So there. :p

;)

I'm thinking that as a Christian who doesn't believe in rapture period I must not know a darn thing by those standards.

Edited by WishboneDawn

:thumbup1: Dawn.

I think it is a common misconception of unbelievers to think that Christians believe God saved them based on their own goodness. Christians do not believe that. They believe that God saved them based on Christ's righteousness
I think that there are a lot of Christians who have trouble understanding this. It took me a good 20 years.

Hey wait…isn't it already May 21 in parts of the world? Australia? New Zealand?

Well yeah, it is. Not that I would expect to be raptured. It would be a heck of a surprise for me. !!

The weather looks to be nice, though...

:)

Rosie

Edit: Oh, I see from further reading that none of this will happen until 6pm. It's not 6pm yet!

Christians believe a whole lot of things. Some believe it's not by grace alone that we are saved (I'm rather a letter of James sort of gal myself).

What's presumptuous is assuming that the beliefs of one denomination define all of Christianity. If there were any truth in that there wouldn't be more then one denomination.

:iagree:

It is going to be really sad for anyone who was whole-heartedly into this if they're still here come Sunday. (They probably also wouldn't appreciate my "what are you doing during the apocalypse" FB thread.... My answer is watching Dr. Horrible.)

And SLAM, BAM. I love these threads! I'm :lurk5: with a previous poster. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, yeah. I wonder how many people read that and pulled out the popcorn. :lol:

I don't think I'll be scooped up in the Christian rapture tomorrow, but that's ok because I am expecting to ascend with all my woo-woo friends on Dec 21, 2012. ;)

On a more serious note, I do feel for these families. I hope they are met with grace and kindness after tomorrow, and that any healing between family members happens easily for all.

Yeah Audrey. So there. :p

;)

I'm thinking that as a Christian who doesn't believe in rapture period I must not know a darn thing by those standards.

Oh poor me. :lol:

Maybe you and I could get together for a little post-Rapture coffee clatch. I'll bring the marshmallows. Should be plenty of flames for roasting 'em. ;)

So it's like Santa? We should start a rapture watch. I wish I lived between time zones for events like this!

NORAD - Rapture Tracker :lol::lol::lol:

Commencing at 6pm on Saturday the 21st May, NORAD will use it's highly acclaimed "SantaTracker" network of satellites and webcams to follow the Rapture from it's beginning in Fiji and New Zealand and on, through the Far East, Asia, Europe and finally to the United States of America.

It is expected that the Rapture will change speed as it travels the world time zones. This may mean that the Rapture arrives a little earlier or later than expected in your local time zone, and so you should be prepared a little early, and not be too disappointed if you are still here a little later than you expect.

This is due to the logistics of transporting the various population densities of expected "rapturees" in various parts of the world.

Clearly, for example, the Rapture will move speedily through Europe, especially because the Catholics are not going, but slow down massively when it hits the East Coast of the USA, slowing almost to a crawl when it hits Tulsa, but then speeding considerably as it mops up California.

Travel arrangements have been made to accommodate the Southern Baptists, staging posts might be required.

More at the link.

It looks like a marketing/public awareness strategy. There is a related contest. Seems effective!

Yeah, it's effective for general emergency preparedness, but they are definitely missing a few things if we're preparing for zombies!! I mean, no shotguns, machetes, or baseball bats? Sorry, I'm not fighting zombies with duct tape and utility knives. :leaving:

But that has nothing to do with what salvation is about.

I am flabbergasted. The CDC?!?!? How much money did THAT cost us??? :glare:

You'd begrudge a little money for some well timed zombie apocalypse information??? What kind of person ARE you? Besides the kind that enjoys watching people get their brains munched on?

Really.:tongue_smilie:

Oh poor me. :lol:

Maybe you and I could get together for a little post-Rapture coffee clatch. I'll bring the marshmallows. Should be plenty of flames for roasting 'em. ;)

:lol: I'm in 'cause I know I am SOOO not going to be raptured (or whatever the proper verb is) now.