Menu

Ballet/Gym moms, I need some input

I would love some input on a decision we will need to make for/with my 4yo dd in the next year or two, from moms who have been in a similar situation.

I have a physically talented little girl on my hands. She was singled out by her gymnastics coach when she was two. She is a tiny powerhouse -she can do a pull-up, climb a 15 foot rope (and the other day figured out that she could shimmy up her door frame and touch the ceiling :glare:), etc. She is also extremely flexible and fearless and her energy seems to never run out. She thrives on learning new skills. Since she turned four, she has been in a pre-team class at the gym and she is the youngest in the class by about 8 months. Her coach has a goal for her to start competing at level 4 right after she turns 6.

She also takes dance classes at the studio where my older daughter dances. This year she has really developed a love for dance. She twirls and leaps around the house constantly. She is one of those kids with a huge personality and it really comes out in her dancing. My older dd is very studious about her dancing, but this child is just.... joyful about it. She has so much spirit.

Yesterday I had a chat with the owner of the dance studio because it's the time of year for evaluations and recommendations for next fall's classes. At the end of our conversation, she mentioned to me that my youngest has a lot of potential, and compared her abilities at this age to that of another dancer at the studio who, now a pre-teen, has won multiple awards and was accepted at a very prestigious ballet school's summer intensive for this summer. She told me that if we wanted to pursue it, she was positive that she would develop into an amazing dancer.

I am really torn. When I ask my dd what she likes best, gymnastics or dance, she says dance. But she thrives with both. In all honesty, if she chooses dance it would be easier on me since we would only have one extracurricular to drive to/plan around, and it would save me money too. I know that we have time to decide, but I would feel terrible if we continued with all of the pre-team gym training and then decided a year from now that we didn't want to go any further (but maybe I shouldn't feel like this?). My plan for the next year or so is for her to continue with both, but after that point it won't be possible due to the increase in hours at the gym at competition level, and so a choice will have to be made.

I want her to choose the path that will give her the most happiness and success, but I feel unsure about how to help her decide. My kids are young and I don't have much experience in the gym or dance worlds. What should I be considering? It's silly but thinking about it has really been stressing me out lately. :001_huh: This child could have a real future in one of these activities and I feel a huge responsibility to get this right. I need a game plan. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

I went through something similar. My DD did a preballet class when she was 5. The studio director told me that DD had enormous potential and to plan on the Conservatory for her.

And then DD was selected for a gym competitive team. DD chose gym. Fast forward 5 years.

DD is about to quit gym. She no longer enjoys it. She trains between 18 and 20 hours a week. She competes at provincials, and next year the coach hopes she will make it to the Eastern Canadian Championship. But DD is burned out, she wants to move on.

A dance career is less demanding (it's still very demanding, but it's not 20 hours per week year-round when you're 9 or 10). Dance is also more diverse than gym. You have many styles to choose from, and you can move from one to another. With gym, you have 4 apparati. (what's the plural of apparatus?) Sure you change your music and your routine from one year to the next, but it's still very similar.

If I had to do it again, I would go for dance.

How quickly does dance ramp up? Dd and ds2 take ballet at a pre-pro school with a dance company attached. At this school, kids take only 1 hour of ballet a week until Level 3 (about 3rd grade) when it jumps to 2.5 hours and then jumps again at 5th grade. Some kids take an hour of jazz as well or an hour of fun gymnastics, but it's not required or even encouraged very much. Even with that low initial level of commitment, they've usually got 1 or 2 dancers go on to professional training when they graduate.

You might have wiggle room for more time than you think before you have to close any doors.

I vote for dance.

It can be useful in other sports such as ice skating. If she decided she didn't want to dance and pursue other interests I think the skills would translate easier.

Also as someone else mentioned there are many different types of dance to learn so probably less chance of burn out.

I'd continue with what you are doing and cross that bridge when you come to it. Maybe with another year or so under her belt she will show a preference? Maybe she won't, but if you don't have to decide now, then don't decide now. It's kind of a lot for a young kid to decide anyway.

If I'm looking at the big picture aspect though gymnastics is harder to pick up later on than dance if she were to change her mind. Dance is somewhat a part of gymnastics, but it isn't necessarily the other way around. So that's something to think about as well.

:iagree:

My ds did tumbling in a small setting (there was no gymnastics facility where we lived). A young lady there, who was very talented at gymnastics, got to the point that she had no where to progress. She switched to dance. She was about 6th or 7th grade by then, and she had never danced, but her mother was a phenomenal pianist and she did have some music lessons under her belt. She promptly became the best dancer in the class. It was amazing.

Gymnastics is great preparation for any sport. Give her a little more time, and then I am sure she will let you know.

If I'm looking at the big picture aspect though gymnastics is harder to pick up later on than dance if she were to change her mind. Dance is somewhat a part of gymnastics, but it isn't necessarily the other way around. So that's something to think about as well.

Yeah, it does seem that gymnastics skills are mastered at earlier ages than dance skills. Which leads to me thinking that maybe she should try the gymnastics out first, as she could still switch to dance later if she doesn't like it. Thanks for your thoughts.

I went through something similar. My DD did a preballet class when she was 5. The studio director told me that DD had enormous potential and to plan on the Conservatory for her.

And then DD was selected for a gym competitive team. DD chose gym. Fast forward 5 years.

DD is about to quit gym. She no longer enjoys it. She trains between 18 and 20 hours a week. She competes at provincials, and next year the coach hopes she will make it to the Eastern Canadian Championship. But DD is burned out, she wants to move on.

A dance career is less demanding (it's still very demanding, but it's not 20 hours per week year-round when you're 9 or 10). Dance is also more diverse than gym. You have many styles to choose from, and you can move from one to another. With gym, you have 4 apparati. (what's the plural of apparatus?) Sure you change your music and your routine from one year to the next, but it's still very similar.

If I had to do it again, I would go for dance.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear your dd burned out at the gym. It's something I worry about down the road too. Taking one or two hours of dance at age 6 is the norm at our studio, but if she were on the gym team at that age she would be there 9 hours a week. It's a considerable difference. This child thrives on physical activity and I have yet to reach her limit, but I'm sure she has one. :D

Your other point about the diversity is a very good one. Gym is fun right now, but I see the older girls practicing and they are very serious about what they are doing. My dd is NOT a serious child. I worry that the sport may not end up matching well with her charismatic personality.

Will your daughter be going back to dance?

How quickly does dance ramp up? Dd and ds2 take ballet at a pre-pro school with a dance company attached. At this school, kids take only 1 hour of ballet a week until Level 3 (about 3rd grade) when it jumps to 2.5 hours and then jumps again at 5th grade. Some kids take an hour of jazz as well or an hour of fun gymnastics, but it's not required or even encouraged very much. Even with that low initial level of commitment, they've usually got 1 or 2 dancers go on to professional training when they graduate.

You might have wiggle room for more time than you think before you have to close any doors.

I'd let her continue both for another two years, if possible, and then let her decide.

This next year (while she is five) we will be able to do both. The year after that will be 9 hours a week at the gym if she goes down that path. So even though the dance does ramp up pretty slowly, it would probably be hard to do even one class. It's possible though.

I vote for dance.

It can be useful in other sports such as ice skating. If she decided she didn't want to dance and pursue other interests I think the skills would translate easier.

Also as someone else mentioned there are many different types of dance to learn so probably less chance of burn out.

Yeah, I can see her really enjoy trying all of the different dancing styles.

Thank you all for your responses, they are giving me more to mull over. :001_smile:

Will your daughter be going back to dance?

Nope. That was my original thought. First gym, then dance. But DD is burned out. She wants no more classes. She wants to stay home and be able to invite friends over, or go to her friends' place for playdates. She does not want dance, even though dance is currently her favourite part of her gym training.

Nope. That was my original thought. First gym, then dance. But DD is burned out. She wants no more classes. She wants to stay home and be able to invite friends over, or go to her friends' place for playdates. She does not want dance, even though dance is currently her favourite part of her gym training.

:grouphug: Poor thing. :(

:( It seems like there is a very fine line between finding the level that is the right amount of a challenge for a talented child, and allowing them to take on too much. And how do you know when the line is being crossed?

I hope your dd enjoys her time off. Maybe after a nice break she will get to a point where she is excited about trying something again.

This is why I don't sign dd 4 up for dance:). She is in gym 3 hours a week and excelling. My mom is pushing dance, but I don't want to have to come to the point later where she has to choose one over the other. Too many decisions! Good luck. I would probably wait a year or two to see if a real preference develops.

I did gymnastics, so I may be biased, but I think gymnastics is a better sport for moving on to other sports.

After doing gymnastics for 7 years (I started in middle school and did my last year as the last varsity place on a college team my freshman year), I was able to do well enough in Judo to compete in nationals after only 1 1/2 years of Judo training.

I also did well in diving because of my gymnastics training. And, I learned to ski and a few other things/sports very easily because of the balance and body control/awareness that gymnastics gives you.

Ballet is good, too, but you don't get the range of body control and movement that you get from gymnastics, you are not extensively going upside down and doing spins while flipping, etc.

You can also be very expressive in your floor and beam routines. (Well, some people can! My strengths were bars and vault.)

I did gymnastics, so I may be biased, but I think gymnastics is a better sport for moving on to other sports.

After doing gymnastics for 7 years (I started in middle school and did my last year as the last varsity place on a college team my freshman year), I was able to do well enough in Judo to compete in nationals after only 1 1/2 years of Judo training.

I also did well in diving because of my gymnastics training. And, I learned to ski and a few other things/sports very easily because of the balance and body control/awareness that gymnastics gives you.

Ballet is good, too, but you don't get the range of body control and movement that you get from gymnastics, you are not extensively going upside down and doing spins while flipping, etc.

You can also be very expressive in your floor and beam routines. (Well, some people can! My strengths were bars and vault.)

Thanks for your input. My dd is a sensory seeker, which is why we enrolled her in gymnastics in the first place - if she wasn't playing at the gym, she was treating our house like one. :lol: So I totally see the benefit of what she is learning there. On the other hand, I have also read that gymnastics training can be detrimental to dance technique. I'm not sure at what age that becomes a consideration though. :confused: I can also see how her love of dance would give great energy to her gym routines. And, at our dance studio, they also offer tumbling/acrobatics/aerial training, so she wouldn't have to completely give up those aspects of gym if she went that route. So, either way, she could continue somewhat with both.

Ok, more to think about. :D

I'd continue with what you are doing and cross that bridge when you come to it. Maybe with another year or so under her belt she will show a preference? Maybe she won't, but if you don't have to decide now, then don't decide now. It's kind of a lot for a young kid to decide anyway.

:iagree: Another ballet mom chiming in. A few years ago my daughter had a young teen leave gymnastics and join her group. She picked up the dance skills very quickly and had a lot of physical strength.

On the other hand, I have also read that gymnastics training can be detrimental to dance technique. I'm not sure at what age that becomes a consideration though.

I have that daughter who showed early talent at both. We have managed, so far, so keep her in competitive gymnastics and a solid-but-not-pre-professional dance program. She had to choose last year between staying in competitive gym and going to a more intensive dance program. She chose gym, but in addition to what everyone else has noted, I want to point out the following:

1. Your point about gymnastics being detrimental to dance works both ways, eventually. Gymnastics builds muscles that are undesirable in serious ballet dancers, but ballet works on hip turnout that has, just in the last year, made beam very hard for my daughter (who is 13). She literally cannot turn her toes in towards each other. Good for ballet, not so hot for gym.

2. Dance is easier to pick up later, but some forms of dance are also much more body-type conscious than gymnastics. Gymnasts come in a pretty fair array of body types (not many are super-tall, though), while ballet bodies look like ballet bodies. Very high-level ballet also favors specific proportions, long necks, good feet, that sort of thing--features over which your daughter will have absolutely no control. To paint with a pretty broad brush, everyone who tells you it doesn't is lying. This is certainly not so true of other forms of dance. Dancers also must be thinner than gymnasts.

3. Gymnastics is more directly competitive than ballet. I always ask, when older children are making this choice, "Does your daughter like to compete, or does she like to perform?" It is hard to know at this age, but if you can swing both of them for another couple of years, you should have a better idea.

4. Once she's 12 or 13, our experience is that serious gym and dance programs probably take just as many hours per week. Gym probably takes more hours before that.

5. Gymnasts probably have more injuries, though with both activities, it is not a matter of whether there will be a serious injury, but when.

6. It is easier to scale back dance. It is almost impossible to get competitive in gymnastics and then fall back to a recreational level. Dance is more forgiving if your daughter wants to scale back temporarily or permanently.

I love both dance and gym. It is a hard decision, and I am glad we did not have to choose one or the other at age 4. We probably waited too late, though, and should have scaled back on one or the other by age 10 or 11. My daughter is now probably too muscular to be a professional dancer. That was never her career goal, but with her build (which is beautiful and strong and elicits frequent comments), she could probably not get admitted to a pre-pro ballet program now.

Best of luck with your decision. You are wise to look long-term when making this one. If I had known all I know now about competitive gymnastics, I am not sure we ever would have gone down this path. It has been a good life so far, though, so maybe it is a good thing we didn't know what we were getting into!

Terri

One more thought--there's something about ballet and gymnastics that makes us moms want to think "long haul" right from the very beginning in a way that parents usually don't, for instance when their kids start t-ball. In reality a lot of talented kids drop dance and gymnastics in favor of other sports or activities, so I wouldn't think you need to choose one over the other now.

We also faced this dilemma at the beginning of this year. DD was in ballet/tap and gym, and we simply couldn't afford to keep up both or I would have. Just this month she moved to level 2 so 2X/week in the gym. Just today as she was working on a level 3 floor routine nailing all the "skills" but struggling with the one footwork element, I was thinking hmmm more ballet sure would have been beneficial! I would continue both if you can afford it until the time/money commitment becomes too much and she needs to choose. I did always let dd make that choice, but I leaned heavily away from gym bc of the commitment. Yet, while she loved dance and swimming (another detour I tried to lean away from gym!) ;) she chose gym every time. I do believe gym is a wonderful precursor to later sports if she does decide at 10 or 11 she wants to do something else. . .

Ballet mum here. I would advise you to do both for as long as you can, but look towards making a choice when your dd is between 9 and 11yo. IMO both are competitive, gym earlier than ballet; both carry risk of injury; both can easily take up a lot of time and money. Unfortunately, as another poster said, they do eventually become mutually exclusive.

The one thing I cannot stress enough is that talent isn't everything; the child must truly love what they do in order to excel at it, and that love of the activity will help them get through the hours of practice needed. Nothing worth achieving is ever attained without effort, and often the greater the effort, the greater the reward.

I personally don't think it's healthy to decide something like that for a 4 year old. I avoided studios that were that competitive because I become concerned that they are more worried about their own interests instead of my dd's.

Case in point, my oldest was in dance at 3 and at 5 wanted to drop. I let her even though her dance teacher was totally against it. She showed a lot of potential etc, etc. She took up gymnastics and loved it. Did that for 2 years and then wanted to go back to dance. Same thing, Gym instructor was disappointed because she was 8 and would be entering the "pre-competition" classes. I put her back in dance and she was a horrible dancer. :lol: Trust me, even if she had stuck with it, she is far from graceful. Anyway, she was done with both and totally fine with moving on to Basketball, and then Tennis. She is that kid that likes to jump around and try a bunch of different sports for fun. If I had listened to her dance instructor, I would have ended up with a very bitter, angry little girl.

My youngest, however, is a ballerina, and has no desire to do anything else. Seriously. Has been since she was 4. She did Gymnastics at the same time for two years and then asked to quit. I obliged. I kept her in a local, homegrown dance studio until she was 6. Then, I started interviewing pre-professional studios by phone. If she had to try out to get in, I nixed it. If they started them on toe shoes younger than 12, I nixed it. If they weeded out the girls that don't "fit" the ballet body type at any time, I nixed it. And, if I knew the studio to be competitive and the owner out for herself, I didn't even call (we have 3 of those here that recruit in other states). I want my dd to enjoy dance and not worry about her weight, body image or anything else that comes with those studios. We found an EXCELLENT studio where the dancer comes first. The owner truly is concerned about the dancers and their well being. Even at 12, she requires x-rays of the child's feet before putting them in toe shoes. She has many dancers in other sports and encourages them to be well rounded. She does not ax girls out of the ballet program if they don't fit the body type. They have a pre-professional and a professional group besides the academy so, if my dd decides to go on, she will have many opportunities to build a resume.

All this to say, I would run for the hills if a ballet teacher told me my 4 year old should be in dance exclusively or a gymnastics coach wanted them their more than once a week. At 4 I thought my dd was a whiz at math. Anyone who has known me on these boards knows this is VERY FAR from the truth. They change so much throughout elementary school. Let her explore and decide for herself. Let her do both sports and enjoy both of them. And, if you continue in Ballet, watch for those studios that are, IMO, predatory and looking to profit on your little girl.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Edited by coffeefreak

Are you the person who responded to my post last week about competitive dance? Your daughter and mine must be separated twins. My 4 year old daughter was also moved to an advanced gymnastics class on the very day she turned 3 and has been invited to be on a competitive dance team. I'm struggling with similar questions. She loves both dance and gymnastics and I will find a way for her to continue to do both at some level. It looks like the advanced gymnastics class and the competition dance class may be on the same day and time next year and I'm agonizing about making the best choice for her. My recommendation is to let her continue in both as long as possible and then, as she'll be older, she may be able to make the decision herself.

Yeah I am by no means an expert. I just recall a few years ago some excellent dancers who were in high school who basically came out of nowhere (had some gymnastics under their belt, but no dance).

Not doubting you, but were they ballet dancers? I'd be surprised if they would ever be considered seriously as their turnout was most likely a cheat. Turnout is a physiological change that must begin early, usually before age 11. 14 or 15 is really too late. I also agree with plansrme that ballet and gymnastics build completely different muscle types. Four is young to decide, but a decision should probably be made around nine or ten.

Mine has shown an interest in both. We are sticking with gymnastics for now. She is only 5 and we have plenty of time.

She also wants to start swimming b/c her big sis started and will try out for swim team next year.

My thinking is if they excel at it and it could potentially help pay for college then I will keep them in it as long as it's something they want to do.

I have that daughter who showed early talent at both. We have managed, so far, so keep her in competitive gymnastics and a solid-but-not-pre-professional dance program. She had to choose last year between staying in competitive gym and going to a more intensive dance program. She chose gym, but in addition to what everyone else has noted, I want to point out the following:

1. Your point about gymnastics being detrimental to dance works both ways, eventually. Gymnastics builds muscles that are undesirable in serious ballet dancers, but ballet works on hip turnout that has, just in the last year, made beam very hard for my daughter (who is 13). She literally cannot turn her toes in towards each other. Good for ballet, not so hot for gym.

2. Dance is easier to pick up later, but some forms of dance are also much more body-type conscious than gymnastics. Gymnasts come in a pretty fair array of body types (not many are super-tall, though), while ballet bodies look like ballet bodies. Very high-level ballet also favors specific proportions, long necks, good feet, that sort of thing--features over which your daughter will have absolutely no control. To paint with a pretty broad brush, everyone who tells you it doesn't is lying. This is certainly not so true of other forms of dance. Dancers also must be thinner than gymnasts.

3. Gymnastics is more directly competitive than ballet. I always ask, when older children are making this choice, "Does your daughter like to compete, or does she like to perform?" It is hard to know at this age, but if you can swing both of them for another couple of years, you should have a better idea.

4. Once she's 12 or 13, our experience is that serious gym and dance programs probably take just as many hours per week. Gym probably takes more hours before that.

5. Gymnasts probably have more injuries, though with both activities, it is not a matter of whether there will be a serious injury, but when.

6. It is easier to scale back dance. It is almost impossible to get competitive in gymnastics and then fall back to a recreational level. Dance is more forgiving if your daughter wants to scale back temporarily or permanently.

I love both dance and gym. It is a hard decision, and I am glad we did not have to choose one or the other at age 4. We probably waited too late, though, and should have scaled back on one or the other by age 10 or 11. My daughter is now probably too muscular to be a professional dancer. That was never her career goal, but with her build (which is beautiful and strong and elicits frequent comments), she could probably not get admitted to a pre-pro ballet program now.

Best of luck with your decision. You are wise to look long-term when making this one. If I had known all I know now about competitive gymnastics, I am not sure we ever would have gone down this path. It has been a good life so far, though, so maybe it is a good thing we didn't know what we were getting into!

Terri

Thanks, this is really helpful! That is great that you've been able to do both. I never thought about the ballet turnout being an issue. I don't think our studio really works on turnout until the girls are 7 or 8 so I have a few years before I need to think about that, I guess.

At this point I would say that she likes to perform more than compete. She's very outgoing and loves to put on a show for whoever she meets.

I can totally see what you mean about scaling back with gym. I can't see how I could put her back in a rec class. She was in one until 6 months ago and they moved her up because she was obviously bored and unchallenged, and getting into trouble in class for not staying with the class, etc. In her new class she is much more focused. I don't think she would be happy in a rec class again.

It's good to hear that we have a bit more room. I was thinking she needed to pick one or the other for sure by age 7 or 8. I guess it more comes down to how long *I* can handle her doing two things. :D

The one thing I cannot stress enough is that talent isn't everything; the child must truly love what they do in order to excel at it, and that love of the activity will help them get through the hours of practice needed. Nothing worth achieving is ever attained without effort, and often the greater the effort, the greater the reward.

I so agree with this. I can't imagine putting in all of the hours these activities require without loving what you are doing. From my time spent at the dance studio, I can already see the difference between the dancers who are there because it is their love in life and those that are there just to have something to do after school. They all work hard, but for those that love it you can see that the hard work is just a joy.

I'd let her continue both for another two years, if possible, and then let her decide.

You can always put her in noncompetitive gymnastics or locally competitive gymnastics instead of the high hours, USA team route. If your gym doesn't have those options, look for one that does. I'd let her keep doing both until you feel she is old enough to make a good decision. BTW my competitive gymnast has always called the shots even at four. By six I would have been very comfortable letting her decide between the two. You know your dd best. Relax, enjoy. There will be many tough decisions. None of them will ruin her life. They can almost always be changed.

I remember when one of dd's friends at gymnastics wanted to quit. Her parents tried to keep her in but finally let her quit. She came back a couple of years later. She was the all around state champion in Level 7 this year as an 11 yo. (taking first in 3 events as well as the all around title). Coaches act like taking time off will kill them. It won't. She'll still be a level 10 by 14. If she really wants to go elite (she doesn't) she still could. Let your dd follow her heart and enjoy the ride.

I personally don't think it's healthy to decide something like that for a 4 year old. I avoided studios that were that competitive because I become concerned that they are more worried about their own interests instead of my dd's.

Case in point, my oldest was in dance at 3 and at 5 wanted to drop. I let her even though her dance teacher was totally against it. She showed a lot of potential etc, etc. She took up gymnastics and loved it. Did that for 2 years and then wanted to go back to dance. Same thing, Gym instructor was disappointed because she was 8 and would be entering the "pre-competition" classes. I put her back in dance and she was a horrible dancer. :lol: Trust me, even if she had stuck with it, she is far from graceful. Anyway, she was done with both and totally fine with moving on to Basketball, and then Tennis. She is that kid that likes to jump around and try a bunch of different sports for fun. If I had listened to her dance instructor, I would have ended up with a very bitter, angry little girl.

My youngest, however, is a ballerina, and has no desire to do anything else. Seriously. Has been since she was 4. She did Gymnastics at the same time for two years and then asked to quit. I obliged. I kept her in a local, homegrown dance studio until she was 6. Then, I started interviewing pre-professional studios by phone. If she had to try out to get in, I nixed it. If they started them on toe shoes younger than 12, I nixed it. If they weeded out the girls that don't "fit" the ballet body type at any time, I nixed it. And, if I knew the studio to be competitive and the owner out for herself, I didn't even call (we have 3 of those here that recruit in other states). I want my dd to enjoy dance and not worry about her weight, body image or anything else that comes with those studios. We found an EXCELLENT studio where the dancer comes first. The owner truly is concerned about the dancers and their well being. Even at 12, she requires x-rays of the child's feet before putting them in toe shoes. She has many dancers in other sports and encourages them to be well rounded. She does not ax girls out of the ballet program if they don't fit the body type. They have a pre-professional and a professional group besides the academy so, if my dd decides to go on, she will have many opportunities to build a resume.

All this to say, I would run for the hills if a ballet teacher told me my 4 year old should be in dance exclusively or a gymnastics coach wanted them there more than once a week. At 4 I thought my dd was a whiz at math. Anyone who has known me on these boards knows this is VERY FAR from the truth. They change so much throughout elementary school. Let her explore and decide for herself. Let her do both sports and enjoy both of them. And, if you continue in Ballet, watch for those studios that are, IMO, predatory and looking to profit on your little girl.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your studio. I am very glad that our dance studio is not pushy at all. The teachers do make recommendations when they think a child would benefit from more classes but they always present it as an option. They have a performing company that does a few competitions each year but as of yet the idea of the girls joining at their ages hasn't even been brought up. They are much more focused on technique than winning competition awards.

As for the gymnastics, the gym is very competitive and they have girls there placing at the national level. But I also feel that the coaching my dd has received there has been excellent. I'm not sure how a less competitive gym would compare.

Are you the person who responded to my post last week about competitive dance? Your daughter and mine must be separated twins. My 4 year old daughter was also moved to an advanced gymnastics class on the very day she turned 3 and has been invited to be on a competitive dance team. I'm struggling with similar questions. She loves both dance and gymnastics and I will find a way for her to continue to do both at some level. It looks like the advanced gymnastics class and the competition dance class may be on the same day and time next year and I'm agonizing about making the best choice for her. My recommendation is to let her continue in both as long as possible and then, as she'll be older, she may be able to make the decision herself.

I don't think it was me (can't remember?), but it's nice to know I'm not alone in agonizing over these things. :D

Thoughts...

You don't have to make a decision now. She can do both for at least the coming year. Dance will obviously help her gymnastics. The strength and flexibility of gymnastics will support dance. (At some point later you have to worry about conflicts in technique, but that's not an issue for a couple of years at least.) So let her do both and put off the decision.

The others have a really good point about the *pressure* on young gymnasts. One always hears about the pressure on dancers, but in terms of time at the studio vs time at the gym, it's the dancers that have more time and freedom to do their own thing when they're young. Most good ballet schools are very conservative about working young ones too hard too soon. The amount of time begins ramping up later, while gymnastics can take over a child's life very young.

My sister was a gymnast (at an extremely high level), and she was adamant against dd going that direction. ... Nothing could possibly have *stopped* my sister from being a gymnast when she was small -- but she certainly had some regrets. Things that echo what Cleo and others have said.

You say your life would be easier with both girls in dance, and your daughter *thrives* on dance. ... *IF* I had to make a decision *now*, that would sway me towards dance for her.

But you *don't* have to make a decision yet. ;) Let her enjoy them both while she can... :)

You can always put her in noncompetitive gymnastics or locally competitive gymnastics instead of the high hours, USA team route. If your gym doesn't have those options, look for one that does. I'd let her keep doing both until you feel she is old enough to make a good decision. BTW my competitive gymnast has always called the shots even at four. By six I would have been very comfortable letting her decide between the two. You know your dd best. Relax, enjoy. There will be many tough decisions. None of them will ruin her life. They can almost always be changed.

I remember when one of dd's friends at gymnastics wanted to quit. Her parents tried to keep her in but finally let her quit. She came back a couple of years later. She was the all around state champion in Level 7 this year as an 11 yo. (taking first in 3 events as well as the all around title). Coaches act like taking time off will kill them. It won't. She'll still be a level 10 by 14. If she really wants to go elite (she doesn't) she still could. Let your dd follow her heart and enjoy the ride.

Thanks, this is good to know. :001_smile:

I really appreciate all of the input!!!! I guess the consensus is to let her continue with both as long as we are able and until she shows an obvious preference, but preferably by age 9 or 10. I am leaning toward letting her try the first year of competitive team gymnastics when she is six and seeing how we all handle it. :tongue_smilie: After that it will probably be easier to decide. I do worry about the burnout from the hours. We really do love this gym, which is why it is hard for me to consider looking around for a less competitive one, but it definitely is another option to keep on the table. Lots to consider!

Thoughts...

You don't have to make a decision now. She can do both for at least the coming year. Dance will obviously help her gymnastics. The strength and flexibility of gymnastics will support dance. (At some point later you have to worry about conflicts in technique, but that's not an issue for a couple of years at least.) So let her do both and put off the decision.

The others have a really good point about the *pressure* on young gymnasts. One always hears about the pressure on dancers, but in terms of time at the studio vs time at the gym, it's the dancers that have more time and freedom to do their own thing when they're young. Most good ballet schools are very conservative about working young ones too hard too soon. The amount of time begins ramping up later, while gymnastics can take over a child's life very young.

My sister was a gymnast (at an extremely high level), and she was adamant against dd going that direction. ... Nothing could possibly have *stopped* my sister from being a gymnast when she was small -- but she certainly had some regrets. Things that echo what Cleo and others have said.

You say your life would be easier with both girls in dance, and your daughter *thrives* on dance. ... *IF* I had to make a decision *now*, that would sway me towards dance for her.

But you *don't* have to make a decision yet. ;) Let her enjoy them both while she can... :)

Thanks! Yeah, if we had to make a choice right now I would probably choose dance. But you are right that it can wait. The one thing that bothers me is that the class she is in at the gym, she was placed in with the idea that she is there to prepare to compete on the team. If we decide a year from now not to compete, I would feel bad since another girl could have had her spot in the class, etc. I'm not sure how to get around this.

Thanks! Yeah, if we had to make a choice right now I would probably choose dance. But you are right that it can wait. The one thing that bothers me is that the class she is in at the gym, she was placed in with the idea that she is there to prepare to compete on the team. If we decide a year from now not to compete, I would feel bad since another girl could have had her spot in the class, etc. I'm not sure how to get around this.

:grouphug: its hard. we have 4 dds. at age 2 with our oldest, the gym asked us to have surgery on her knee to straighten it so that she could be an olympic gymnast. at 2. sigh.... we refused. she did both until she was 8, then chose dance. at 27, she still dances. at 27, she still wouldn't be doing gymnastics.

enter dd 2. she tried both, liked neither, ran cross country.

dd #3. did both and played soccer until she was 10. dropped gymnastics then. now, at age 12, dances 12 hours a week+. there will be no soccer next year as she discovered it built muscle that made dancing harder, and that was her choice.

dd #4. same as#3. we are all clearly more performance than competition oriented, and we all like the atmosphere at dance better than at gymnastics, so that's where it all ended up. there was also a distinct financial advantage in that our studio reduces the price for each successive class a member of the family takes until you hit an "unlimited" area. gymnastics costs were over and above that.

as for taking a place in the class that someone else could have had.... what you are doing is keeping possibilities open. the gym clubs and dance studios know that finances change, interests change, and they want to have the chance of having her compete.

i would vote for keeping possibilities open....

:grouphug:

ann

My dd is on a full-ride ballet scholarship at a university and is an apprentice with our professional ballet company. I can't speak to gymnastics, but I can offer you an opinion on ballet.

My dd's teachers (Russian and former Bolshoi dancer as well as two others...I can provide you links to their references if you're interested) as well as my former ballet teacher do not advise formal ballet training until age 7 or 8. If your dd is serious and wants a ballet career, I would advise this route as well. If she's just interested in having fun and doing competitions with other area schools, then it really doesn't matter.

Starting ballet training before age 7 or 8 almost always guarantees problems with form that need to be corrected (and sometimes can't) later on. Little girls compensate for lack of strength by using incorrect muscles and in turn develop very bad habits.

If you think she is talented enough and has the desire (and you have the time, money and slavish dedication to nothing but dance) needed to be a professional ballerina, I would hold back on the serious training for a few years. The risk of bad form and the potential for injury later on is too great in my opinion.

I would love some input on a decision we will need to make for/with my 4yo dd in the next year or two, from moms who have been in a similar situation.

I have a physically talented little girl on my hands. She was singled out by her gymnastics coach when she was two. She is a tiny powerhouse -she can do a pull-up, climb a 15 foot rope (and the other day figured out that she could shimmy up her door frame and touch the ceiling :glare:), etc. She is also extremely flexible and fearless and her energy seems to never run out. She thrives on learning new skills. Since she turned four, she has been in a pre-team class at the gym and she is the youngest in the class by about 8 months. Her coach has a goal for her to start competing at level 4 right after she turns 6.

She also takes dance classes at the studio where my older daughter dances. This year she has really developed a love for dance. She twirls and leaps around the house constantly. She is one of those kids with a huge personality and it really comes out in her dancing. My older dd is very studious about her dancing, but this child is just.... joyful about it. She has so much spirit.

Yesterday I had a chat with the owner of the dance studio because it's the time of year for evaluations and recommendations for next fall's classes. At the end of our conversation, she mentioned to me that my youngest has a lot of potential, and compared her abilities at this age to that of another dancer at the studio who, now a pre-teen, has won multiple awards and was accepted at a very prestigious ballet school's summer intensive for this summer. She told me that if we wanted to pursue it, she was positive that she would develop into an amazing dancer.

I am really torn. When I ask my dd what she likes best, gymnastics or dance, she says dance. But she thrives with both. In all honesty, if she chooses dance it would be easier on me since we would only have one extracurricular to drive to/plan around, and it would save me money too. I know that we have time to decide, but I would feel terrible if we continued with all of the pre-team gym training and then decided a year from now that we didn't want to go any further (but maybe I shouldn't feel like this?). My plan for the next year or so is for her to continue with both, but after that point it won't be possible due to the increase in hours at the gym at competition level, and so a choice will have to be made.

I want her to choose the path that will give her the most happiness and success, but I feel unsure about how to help her decide. My kids are young and I don't have much experience in the gym or dance worlds. What should I be considering? It's silly but thinking about it has really been stressing me out lately. :001_huh: This child could have a real future in one of these activities and I feel a huge responsibility to get this right. I need a game plan. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Hi,

My kids are still young so I don't have experience as a parent of a gymnast or dancer but I was a very talented ballet dancer when I was younger.

When I was about 7 I took gymnastics and it sparked my interest in dance. I did not have the build for gymnastics but had the perfect body type for ballet: very thin, long legged, long muscles and I was much too tall for gymnastics (I'm 5'7") :lol:. So body type is a consideration. Look around your family and see who your daughter is taking after, is she long and lean, or will she be shorter and more powerful? It is heartbreaking when kids get older that they aren't able to succeed in their chosen path because of their body type.

I started ballet at age 8 and it was a natural fit. I loved it and by the age of 10 I was dancing at least 20 hours a week and by 13 I was dancing ~ 35 hours a week. Most ballet dancers have very Type A personalities and to be good, as in anything, you have to completely dedicate yourself if you want to excel. So she will have to LOVE what she is doing if she wants to succeed in dance or gymnastics. I do want to mention that many of the girls I danced with who started earlier burned out by the time we hit junior high and high school. If my daughter wants to do ballet the earliest I would start her is 6, but most likely 7.

Just to warn you both gymnastics and dance can have some verbally abusive instructors as kids get older. Anorexia and bulimia are also things you will need to watch out for.

One great thing about dance is that there are so many ways to be involved in it, even when you are an adult. There is tap, modern/contemporary, jazz, hip-hop, character, ballroom, ballet, etc, whereas gymnastics is more specialized.

I would suggest giving her a few more years and let her experience a lot of different activities. She is only young once and dedicating her life to something at 4 seems a little early IMHO.

Marisa

PS If you would like any more info on ballet I can give you some pointers. I was accepted into all of the top schools in the country (SAB - NY, San Francisco Ballet, Houston Ballet Academy, Pacific NW Ballet, Joffrey Ballet - NY, Pittsburg Ballet, NC School of the Arts, Boston Ballet) and I also have a lot of friends still dancing in various companies. I unfortunately had to quit when I was 18 because of chronic health problems, and I still miss it to this day!

... If we decide a year from now not to compete, I would feel bad since another girl could have had her spot in the class, etc. I'm not sure how to get around this.

Just don't. Ultimately, the gym is a money-making enterprise. They didn't put her on the "pre-team" out of the goodness of their hearts, and if there's another girl they want to train, they'll find a way. Just do NOT fret yourself about that. Kids come and go from sports. They know this and they plan for it. If they try to lay guilt on you, tell them to go... Well, tell them something very rude! ... Or, you know, tell them you're terribly sorry, but don't let it ruin your day. ;)

Hi,

When I was about 7 I took gymnastics and it sparked my interest in dance. I did not have the build for gymnastics but had the perfect body type for ballet: very thin, long legged, long muscles and I was much too tall for gymnastics (I'm 5'7") :lol:. So body type is a consideration. Look around your family and see who your daughter is taking after, is she long and lean, or will she be shorter and more powerful? It is heartbreaking when kids get older that they aren't able to succeed in their chosen path because of their body type.

Just an FYI for anyone interested. There is a less well known branch of gymnastics called trampoline and power tumbling (TnT) that is more forgiving in regard to body types. You can be taller and thinner and still excel at TnT (my ds competes at level 10 and he is 5'11"). Besides the trampoline, TnT uses a spring, power tumbling floor and an apparatus called the double mini trampoline, which is kind of a trampoline style vault. It is tumbling based, very high energy, and lots of fun. While there is USAG competition and it is in the Olympics, there are no college teams that I am aware of and no scholarships yet, but it is gaining in popularity.

My dd is on a full-ride ballet scholarship at a university and is an apprentice with our professional ballet company. I can't speak to gymnastics, but I can offer you an opinion on ballet.

My dd's teachers (Russian and former Bolshoi dancer as well as two others...I can provide you links to their references if you're interested) as well as my former ballet teacher do not advise formal ballet training until age 7 or 8. If your dd is serious and wants a ballet career, I would advise this route as well. If she's just interested in having fun and doing competitions with other area schools, then it really doesn't matter.

Starting ballet training before age 7 or 8 almost always guarantees problems with form that need to be corrected (and sometimes can't) later on. Little girls compensate for lack of strength by using incorrect muscles and in turn develop very bad habits.

If you think she is talented enough and has the desire (and you have the time, money and slavish dedication to nothing but dance) needed to be a professional ballerina, I would hold back on the serious training for a few years. The risk of bad form and the potential for injury later on is too great in my opinion.

Thanks for chiming in. The studio she is at doesn't start formal ballet training until age 7. I know I could skip a couple years and come back and she would be fine. But she loves going! She is taking one class right now that is 30 min ballet, 20 min tap, and 10 min tumbling. Next year's class will be the same. They learn how to skip, learn the ballet positions, practice some little leaps, play games, etc. and then learn a dance for the year-end recital. She is also taking a hip hop class for fun, which is mostly just bopping around and burning off some extra energy. :D So, no formal training yet, just that she would be sad to take time off.

Our studio isn't pre-pro, but they have turned out some great dancers and are known as a very well-rounded school. They require ballet classes in order to take other dance classes like jazz or tap, etc. I've done a little research and they seem to be much more focused on technique than other schools of this type. I do have some pre-pro schools in my area on my radar though, to look into more seriously in the future.

I appreciate your input, I have read and learned from some of your other ballet-related posts in the past. :001_smile:

Just don't. Ultimately, the gym is a money-making enterprise. They didn't put her on the "pre-team" out of the goodness of their hearts, and if there's another girl they want to train, they'll find a way. Just do NOT fret yourself about that. Kids come and go from sports. They know this and they plan for it. If they try to lay guilt on you, tell them to go... Well, tell them something very rude! ... Or, you know, tell them you're terribly sorry, but don't let it ruin your day. ;)

Thanks for this. I am one of those people who commits to something and is in it for the long haul, so it's hard for me to approach things with an open-ended attitude. The gym hasn't done anything to make me feel guilty if I don't continue, it's just me. :D

I have one daughter who is very involved in dance and one daughter who is a competitive gymnast. I agree with the pps who said to stay in both for at least the next year. She is young yet to have to make a decision like that.

I also agree that it would be much easier if they were in the same activity (we have a logistics nightmare around here), but someone else pointed out how much body type plays into their success as they get older and that may not be a possibility. Long and lean - dance, short and compact - gymnastics. My dancer could never succeed in gym and my gymnast does not have a ballet body at all.

I say give it some time - it may be easier to make a decision a little later.

Hi,

My kids are still young so I don't have experience as a parent of a gymnast or dancer but I was a very talented ballet dancer when I was younger.

I started ballet at age 8 and it was a natural fit. I loved it and by the age of 10 I was dancing at least 20 hours a week and by 13 I was dancing ~ 35 hours a week. Most ballet dancers have very Type A personalities and to be good, as in anything, you have to completely dedicate yourself if you want to excel. So she will have to LOVE what she is doing if she wants to succeed in dance or gymnastics. I do want to mention that many of the girls I danced with who started earlier burned out by the time we hit junior high and high school. If my daughter wants to do ballet the earliest I would start her is 6, but most likely 7.

Just to warn you both gymnastics and dance can have some verbally abusive instructors as kids get older. Anorexia and bulimia are also things you will need to watch out for.

One great thing about dance is that there are so many ways to be involved in it, even when you are an adult. There is tap, modern/contemporary, jazz, hip-hop, character, ballroom, ballet, etc, whereas gymnastics is more specialized.

I would suggest giving her a few more years and let her experience a lot of different activities. She is only young once and dedicating her life to something at 4 seems a little early IMHO.

Marisa

PS If you would like any more info on ballet I can give you some pointers. I was accepted into all of the top schools in the country (SAB - NY, San Francisco Ballet, Houston Ballet Academy, Pacific NW Ballet, Joffrey Ballet - NY, Pittsburg Ballet, NC School of the Arts, Boston Ballet) and I also have a lot of friends still dancing in various companies. I unfortunately had to quit when I was 18 because of chronic health problems, and I still miss it to this day!

Thanks! You have given me even more to think about. :001_smile: I have wondered about body type as well. Dd is adopted so I don't really have anyone to compare her to. :D

We have done gymnastics and are currently doing dance. The gym was a less than great experience. Both kids are currently doing ballet with a Vaganova certified instructor. The discipline that they are learning in dance is carrying over into other aspects of their lives and that is something we would never have gotten in gymnastics.

I did ballet until I was in my mid-teens. My boys all did gymnastics up into their late teens.

From a purely logistical point of view, I think it makes sense to keep everyone in the same activity. Unless you have public transportation, it is going to be a nightmare trying to get two children to two such different time-intensive activities. On the other hand, I think it makes more sense to put the time into gymnastics when the child is under 7.

I wouldn't do ballet until 7yo. I don't think I would even bother with dance until then. Ballet when you are young is about building a body that will be able to do ballet when you are older. Body type matters. It matters a lot. Even in a non-serious studio. Maybe this is because it is an art? Maybe because it was originally performance-oriented? I don't know. I do know that everyone I know who had anything to do with ballet had their idea of an ideal woman's body type changed. I lucked out. My mother had been heavy as a child and was aware of the connection between food and body image. She managed somehow to de-emphasize food. My adult body isn't too far off from the ballet ideal. I did ok, all in all, but if either of those two things had been different, I would be anorexic. I think ballet definately made the transition teenage years when your body is puffing up into something less ballet-ideal hard. I hated being pregnant, despite being very grateful that I was a more practical womanly shape than the ballet ideal. Anyway, all that is to say that even taking ballet casually, it changed me forever. Something nice about dance is that you can continue to do it as an adult. Another nice thing is that it is very expressive, being an art. You can get a lot of satisfaction out of dancing, even if you aren't very highly trained.

Gymnastics is more of a sport, and you don't usually do it as an adult, although you can continue to be involved as a judge or as a coach. Unless you put lots of time into it, it doesn't tend to be much fun because you can't do much. You have to put in a lot of time weekly before you can do anything interesting. It is one of those things where it *is* an advantage to begin young. Gymnastics coaches do patterning excersizes that actually change the brain wiring so that the child will be more coordinated. That is why they are willing to put time into working with 2 year olds. They also need to build trust. When children begin gymnastics older, they tend not to trust the coaches as much. Fear is a big part of gymnastics at the higher levels. Body type matters with gymnastics, too, when they are older, but there seems to be more variety when the children are younger and the ideal gymnast isn't as unwomanly a shape as the ideal ethereal ballerina. I think gymnastics helps with learning because the learning process is laid out in a nice physical way. In ballet, the goal is more nebulous and more things are worked on all at once. Ballet requires that you be able to make something physically hard look very easy. Gymnasts seem to be able to get away without that element. It is one sign of talent, yes, but it doesn't seem to be essential. In ballet, it is essential. The coaches at my sons' gym said that gymnasts tend to stay a young child longer than non-gymnasts. They thought that it had to do with spending so much time in the gym, away from tv and other children. Gymnasts tend to be sheltered. Pick your gym carefully. Pick your coach carefully. You will be co-parenting.

Both are hard on the body. Both require self-discipline. Both require a sacrifice of family time. Both are competative. Both are expensive. Both require a single-minded-ness that might be either a good thing or a bad thing. In both, you probably will have to make those hard parental decisions about how hard to push and whether to let them quit when they have invested so much time. It is hard to tell whether they really want to quit or whether they are just having a bad week or learning something especially difficult.

That's about all I can think of. I wouldn't worry about switching back and forth for a few years yet. I don't think you need to worry about taking a spot on a team or in a class and then giving it up. Gymnastics will be helped by having some dance. The coaches at my sons' gym said that many girls went off and tried ballet for awhile, but came back to gymnastics saying that ballet was boring. Ballet does tend to have more boring drills to develop the right body type. I, on the other hand, would have found gymnastics more boring. I like moving to music and I like the artistic expression.

-Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

I don't know what this means for my daughter! Both the gym instructors and the dance teachers are saying she's doing very well. She's short and lean.:lol:

Yeah, this pretty much describes my dd as well. She's about the 30th percentile for height and 10th for weight, even with all the muscle. :D

My dad is turning 80 next week and dances twice a week (ballroom). He started dancing over 20 years ago and was so good he was semi-pro for a time.

I have seen NO ONE his age doing gymnastics. Dance is a skill that can be enjoyed for life.

I did ballet until I was in my mid-teens. My boys all did gymnastics up into their late teens.

From a purely logistical point of view, I think it makes sense to keep everyone in the same activity. Unless you have public transportation, it is going to be a nightmare trying to get two children to two such different time-intensive activities. On the other hand, I think it makes more sense to put the time into gymnastics when the child is under 7.

Yeah, I agree, and we are already going to have some scheduling conflicts next year that I'm going to need dh's help with. But also, since I can't enroll dd in more than a couple dance classes at this age, I would have to find another outlet for all of her energy anyway. She needs serious physical input every day, and if she doesn't have a scheduled activity she is bouncing off the walls by dinnertime. If I take her to the park she inevitably comes home with bruises all over her arms and legs because she just plays too hard.

I wouldn't do ballet until 7yo. I don't think I would even bother with dance until then. Ballet when you are young is about building a body that will be able to do ballet when you are older. Body type matters. It matters a lot. Even in a non-serious studio. Maybe this is because it is an art? Maybe because it was originally performance-oriented? I don't know. I do know that everyone I know who had anything to do with ballet had their idea of an ideal woman's body type changed. I lucked out. My mother had been heavy as a child and was aware of the connection between food and body image. She managed somehow to de-emphasize food. My adult body isn't too far off from the ballet ideal. I did ok, all in all, but if either of those two things had been different, I would be anorexic. I think ballet definately made the transition teenage years when your body is puffing up into something less ballet-ideal hard. I hated being pregnant, despite being very grateful that I was a more practical womanly shape than the ballet ideal. Anyway, all that is to say that even taking ballet casually, it changed me forever. Something nice about dance is that you can continue to do it as an adult. Another nice thing is that it is very expressive, being an art. You can get a lot of satisfaction out of dancing, even if you aren't very highly trained.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. So far, this dd is so tiny that we have had to struggle at points to keep weight *on* her. She is just so active and has never been a huge eater. I'm not sure what this means going forward. Interestingly, the girls at our gym seem to have far less of a range of body types than those at the dance studio. Even in the high level classes at dance, there is a wide range of heights, weights, proportions, etc. I really must applaud our studio for being so inclusive, while at the same time giving training that is enabling many of the top girls to be accepted at great summer intensives and dance schools/programs. But even so, I know that the body image thing is something I will need to look out for in the future, not matter which activity she pursues.

Gymnastics is more of a sport, and you don't usually do it as an adult, although you can continue to be involved as a judge or as a coach. Unless you put lots of time into it, it doesn't tend to be much fun because you can't do much. You have to put in a lot of time weekly before you can do anything interesting. It is one of those things where it *is* an advantage to begin young. Gymnastics coaches do patterning excersizes that actually change the brain wiring so that the child will be more coordinated. That is why they are willing to put time into working with 2 year olds. They also need to build trust. When children begin gymnastics older, they tend not to trust the coaches as much. Fear is a big part of gymnastics at the higher levels. Body type matters with gymnastics, too, when they are older, but there seems to be more variety when the children are younger and the ideal gymnast isn't as unwomanly a shape as the ideal ethereal ballerina. I think gymnastics helps with learning because the learning process is laid out in a nice physical way. In ballet, the goal is more nebulous and more things are worked on all at once. Ballet requires that you be able to make something physically hard look very easy. Gymnasts seem to be able to get away without that element. It is one sign of talent, yes, but it doesn't seem to be essential. In ballet, it is essential. The coaches at my sons' gym said that gymnasts tend to stay a young child longer than non-gymnasts. They thought that it had to do with spending so much time in the gym, away from tv and other children. Gymnasts tend to be sheltered. Pick your gym carefully. Pick your coach carefully. You will be co-parenting.

Thanks for all of this insight. Lots to think about. I do like the idea that dance is something she would be able to continue with, potentially, for a longer time period.

Both are hard on the body. Both require self-discipline. Both require a sacrifice of family time. Both are competative. Both are expensive. Both require a single-minded-ness that might be either a good thing or a bad thing. In both, you probably will have to make those hard parental decisions about how hard to push and whether to let them quit when they have invested so much time. It is hard to tell whether they really want to quit or whether they are just having a bad week or learning something especially difficult.

That's about all I can think of. I wouldn't worry about switching back and forth for a few years yet. I don't think you need to worry about taking a spot on a team or in a class and then giving it up. Gymnastics will be helped by having some dance. The coaches at my sons' gym said that many girls went off and tried ballet for awhile, but came back to gymnastics saying that ballet was boring. Ballet does tend to have more boring drills to develop the right body type. I, on the other hand, would have found gymnastics more boring. I like moving to music and I like the artistic expression.

-Nan

I have noticed that the very early years of dance are more "boring" because there is just so little they can do at this age. My dd6 was in a jazz technique class this year and she complained for a long time because 2/3 of the class is just stretching and conditioning. I told her if she wanted to be able to pull off those beautiful leaps and turns she sees the older girls doing, first she had to be strong and flexible. It takes a lot of time before they are able to learn any exciting skills. You are right that gymnastics is exciting from the very beginning.

I have so appreciated all of the input I've received! I think we are going to try and swing one dance class in addition to continuing gymnastics for at least two more years. After we have a year of team gymnastics under our belts we will be able to decide what to do going forward. And at that point, when she is turning 7, the dance classes will ramp up to a point that should keep her busy enough if she decides to make the switch.

It's nice to have a plan. :D

My dad is turning 80 next week and dances twice a week (ballroom). He started dancing over 20 years ago and was so good he was semi-pro for a time.

I have seen NO ONE his age doing gymnastics. Dance is a skill that can be enjoyed for life.

A very good point, and that is just awesome that your dad is still dancing! :001_smile:

I read this whole post, and didn't realize this was you until I read your sig! :D I'm sorry this has become stressful. You know I have no idea about ballet or gymnastics, but I don't think other sports are much different. From my experience if the kid loves what they are doing then it doesn't matter how much time they put into it. We have coached some kids who were extremely talented that are burned out by the time they are 16, because they didn't love what they were doing. (And they only start vb when they are 12 or so.) Then we have coached kids who are just so in love with the game that they can't get enough, and do whatever it takes to get to the next level.

And I definitely wouldn't feel bad about the gym. If they have her in the class for the right reasons, then they will want you to do what is best for her...even if that means taking her out.