Menu

Making tortillas - worth it?

I had been making bread and have lots of wheat in the garage. The kids stopped eating bread so often. We mainly eat dinner left-overs for lunch. But they like torillas for "sandwiches". With all this wheat I have, would it be effective to make tortillas? I've looked on-line and they look easy.

Press or not worth it?

Electric press?

It's worth the time and effort for us because by making them ourselves we are able to control the ingredients that go into them. If you already have the wheat and nothing else to use it for it would probably be financially worthwhile to at least try making them yourself to see what you think.

I don't have a press so I don't know anything about presses. I just roll them out on a lightly floured surface. They're not exactly round, but no one seems to care! :001_smile:

If you have access to good quality tortillas, I don't think it's worth it. I don't make tortillas, puff pastry, or pie crusts, but can purchase these at reasonable prices (Grand Central Bakery makes far better puff pastry than I ever could).

I have a friend that makes all his own tortillas. He and his wife invited us over for dinner one night and we all made tortillas and ate them hot off the griddle. :drool:

I need to write down his recipe and start making ours. Store bought tortillas are disgusting in comparison. He didn't use a tortillas press--just rolled them thin on a silicone pastry mat (so they wouldn't stick) and cooked them with a little butter in a frying pan.

I've made tortillas occasionally, and while they are good, I think they are too much work by hand. If I had a press, I'd probably make them more often. Rolling them out takes too long and is too messy.

I'd still buy tortillas from the store, though, because we mostly use them for burritos, and I've never been able to get them rolled out large enough for that. I haven't seen a press large enough for burrito-size tortillas either.

THIS is the recipe we use. (We aren't uber healthy or anything. :D) I make up the dough in the morning and throw it in the fridge (this makes the dough super easy to use). Then about an hour before dinner, I take it out, separate into 8 sections, roll them out (they somewhat resemble a circle!) and "cook" them.

They are the best, my whole family loves them, and I haven't bought tortillas since making them.

ETA: HERE is the wheat tortilla recipe I use. It's not as good as the white flour tortillas I listed above, but when I'm trying to eat healthy, they're pretty good.

Edited by Guest

Very worth it IMO!

For a press it depends on how many you make. If it's just a few, by hand is best. If it's a lot a press makes a difference.

I almost only make burrito size, and I did it by hand for 10 years. Now I have a press.

I make corn tortillas, and find it easy to do and worth it. I've got a press (they are cheap); I don't know if I'd do it if I had to hand roll them.

When I've tried making flour tortillas they haven't been nearly as good as the uncooked tortillas I can buy in the store. They are easy to cook on the stove and much better than the precooked ones, to me. If anyone wants to share their tried and true flour tortillas recipe, I'm game to try homemade again :001_smile:

I make my own tortillas because they are very expensive here, but they also taste better than the store bought ones. I would love to have a press as it would make it a lot easier. We use a recipe very similar to the one linked in krazzy mommy's post, except that we use oil or butter instead because they are easier to get than shortening :).

:rant:

Tortillas are made from ground nixtamal/hominy, which is maize/corn that has been soaked in an alkaline solution, usually lime (calcium hydroxide) before being ground into masa.

Tortillas are a traditional food that has been consumed for thousands of years.

"Flour tortillas" (made from wheat flour) are not "tortillas", tortillas are ONLY made of treated maize/corn. We have to accept that this Johnny-come-lately will be called "flour tortillas" (as much as traditionalists might cringe every time they hear it :D) but it ALWAYS needs the modifier "flour", as anything less is....can't even come up with the right word :tongue_smilie:

:rant:

Bill (traditionalist)

Here is my "flour" tortilla recipe:

8C. all-purpose flour

1/2C. shortening

1T salt

1T baking powder

3C. warm water

Combine dry ingredients first, and then cut in the shortening. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and slowly add water in and mix. Form the dough and knead it until smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.

Heat a frying pan(I use cast iron) on medium heat. Roll out an egg size piece of dough and cook one side for about one minute and then the other side for about 45 seconds. This makes 15-20 tortillas.

I just made these for dinner last night, and it took about a half hour to roll and cook all of them. I am usually also doing other things in the kitchen while cooking them. I sometimes have one of my boys do the flipping for me.

They are SOOO much better than the store bought ones!

I agree with pp, it's only worth it if you don't have access to a good tortilla shop. Grocery store tortillas are nuts! :thumbdown:

I tend to agree with Spy Car, corn is where it's at. I also like to pinch up the sides and fry them to make sopes. Yummy!

Well, here tortillas are $5 for 8 large. Its ridiculous. Way cheaper, and tastier to make our own, but now, of course, only if Diva wants to roll them out (I can't).

Haven't heard of the press before though. Hmmm. Going to have to look into that one.

I agree with pp, it's only worth it if you don't have access to a good tortilla shop. Grocery store tortillas are nuts! :thumbdown:

I tend to agree with Spy Car, corn is where it's at. I also like to pinch up the sides and fry them to make sopes. Yummy!

What do you mean "tend to agree?" Either you're with me, or not :D

"Flour tortillas" are fine. I like a burrito as much as the next guy, I just wouldn't call the wrapper a "tortilla."

We all have our "issues", although some of us have more "issues" than others ;) :tongue_smilie:

Bill (<----needs help)

I think I've realized why I've tried this several times but never found it worth the effort: there are just too many of us! Everyone in my family will eat at least two, some of us will eat three, so I have to make at least 20 at a time. That's a lot of rolling! I do like the taste & texture of homemade ones, but it takes too much time for me.

What do you mean "tend to agree?" Either you're with me, or not :D

"Flour tortillas" are fine. I like a burrito as much as the next guy, I just wouldn't call the wrapper a "tortilla."

We all have our "issues", although some of us have more "issues" than others ;) :tongue_smilie:

Bill (<----needs help)

All right FINE!! I agree with you! :lol:

Corn is... life! Corn is my family history, my comfort food. I love the fact that my kids don't want anything to do with flour tortillas. I know that probably sound ridiculous to most people, but it's the truth. I love that they have a real bond with our basic foods. Beans, corn, chili, squash, and so on. I loved taking the girls to the tortilla factory to get masa ground fresh, and making tamales with family every year.

That said, I enjoy a good flour tortilla once in a while. I remember waking up in the early mornings, and my grandma would be up in the kitchen making tortillas (flour). My grandpa is from the north, so you know he loves his flour tortillas! I could hear her in there and I would fall back to sleep. :001_wub: Or living in S. Tucson and walking around the corner to pick up fresh flour tortillas.

I do draw the line at sun dried tomato and basil "tortillas". Those are wraps. :tongue_smilie:

Homemade tortillas are worth getting but I don't make them. I live in Bakersfield, CA. I just head over to my local tortilla bakery and pick them up fresh.

And fresh tortillas are the BEST gift my teacher hubby has ever received. If he could have kept that mom as his room mom forever, he would have.

LOL. I just read Spy Car's posts. I totally agree.

Edited by Daisy

Homemade tortillas are worth getting but I don't make them. I live in Bakersfield, CA. I just head over to my local tortilla bakery and pick them up fresh.

And fresh tortillas are the BEST gift my teacher hubby has ever received. If he could have kept that mom as his room mom forever, he would have.

LOL. I just read Spy Car's posts. I totally agree.

I've never heard of a tortilla bakery, but consider that I'm in MN. I do agree that corn tortillas are the best, especially at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Mexico.

I've never heard of a tortilla bakery, but consider that I'm in MN. I do agree that corn tortillas are the best, especially at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Mexico.

LOL. All those tortillas you buy in the package started out at a bakery. La Bonita tortillas are made here as well as a few others. All the locals just know when they are selling them fresh off the press. :D

LOL. All those tortillas you buy in the package started out at a bakery. La Bonita tortillas are made here as well as a few others. All the locals just know when they are selling them fresh off the press. :D

Oh, I see! I thought you were talking about a little tortilla shop and not one of the bigger tortilla companies.