Menu

Another baby name s/o: Of your ancestors' names, which do you think should

make a comeback that haven't (so far, at least)?

My sweet grandmother was Ethel. I'm not so crazy about that even though I adored her. However, there are quite a few in her generation I'd love to hear more often:

Mary (I've heard a few times, but not frequently)

Lora

Vera

Alice

Suzanne

Sonia

Helen

Lucy

From my own peer group, I find we're missing a generation of:

Deborah

Linda

Donna

Lisa

Michelle

Pamela

Cynthia

Jane

Patricia

Susan

For boys' names . . . well, in my ancestry, the men had such incredibly outlandish names that I can't imagine sticking new children with them OR they had names that never really went out of style. Mostly. Maybe I'll think of exceptions later.

They had names like:

John

Thomas

Steven

David

Brad

Charles

Robert

or some really really really unusual names. There was a creative streak somewhere in our family tree. :tongue_smilie:

What about you? What names do you just kind of miss when you read the current most popular lists?

Edited by BamaTanya

My family has ummmm how do you say it more unusual names that I doubt are ever going to come back in style, like...

Homer

Virgie

Hyman

Alganon

Alfread

Then we have our fair share of unusual Biblical names

Zephaniah and Zachariah (twins of course)

Elisha

My grandmother was Elsie, a name I think sounds ripe for a come-back.

I love Susannah and Mary.

My grandfather's name was Ross Eugene; he went by Gene, but don't you think Ross is a total surprise for a man who was named almost a hundred years ago? I thought that was a "modern" name!

There was a "Worthington" way back in my family history and I thought that was a wickedly stylish name, with the naturally confidence-building nickname "Worth". :D

There was a "Worthington" way back in my family history and I thought that was a wickedly stylish name, with the naturally confidence-building nickname "Worth". :D

Ooooh. I like that one. Sadly, I'm just collecting names for my novels or to pester my children with someday when they're trying to find the perfect name for my grandchildren. :D

Didn't "Anne of Green Gables" have a beau named Royal??? I could totally see a Royal and a Worthington in the family. :001_smile:

If kiddo had been a girl, he'd be Florence, my GM's name (born around 1880). I miss Rose and Beryl, too.

That's exactly the kind of name I'm talking about.

Now you've reminded my of "Pearl," too. I had a favorite older teacher whose name was Pearla. Isn't that pretty?

My family has ummmm how do you say it more unusual names that I doubt are ever going to come back in style, like...

Homer

Virgie

Hyman

Alganon

Alfread

Let's see. We had:

Letrell

Villa

Skiffington

Clifton

Houston

Jan

Fillmore

Lowery

Clestin

I may think of more . . . And they may grow on me if I look at them in a new light. =)

Let's see. We had:

Letrell

Villa

Skiffington

Clifton

Houston

Jan

Fillmore

Lowery

Clestin

I may think of more . . . And they may grow on me if I look at them in a new light. =)

Oh and we had good friends when I was growing up that was my grandparents age named Skeet, not a nickname mind you.

My grandfather was a Charles. I wanted to have a little boy and name him Charles, so I could call him Charlie, which I think is just the most wonderful little boy name. Dh vetoed that.

We went with another normal traditional name, which I also love and which suits ds to a tee.

If he'd been a girl, he'd have been Sophie Clara, or Juliana Elise (all ancestral names)

Didn't "Anne of Green Gables" have a beau named Royal??? I could totally see a Royal and a Worthington in the family. :001_smile:

Speaking of Anne of Green Gables, I would love to name a son Gilbert (my grandfather's name). Alas, it has been vetoed by my DH. How cute would a little Gil running around the house be?

We've had Jasper, my grandfather's name, on our short list a few times (although when this information was relayed to my grandparents, my grandmother remarked, "he doesn't like his name; he goes by Jack!")

My grandmother (Jasper/Jack's wife) is Evelyn, which is kind of on the upswing.

And DH's grandfather was Leo...Ari is sort of named after him, in a roundabout way--but I've also heard of a few baby Leos.

DH's grandmother was Hilda, and I sometimes wonder if that will ever make a comeback. It seems like the sort of name that could.

Our parents all have very 40's/50's names that are nowhere near ready to come back (Allen, Barbara, Carl, Ann)

We each have a Catholic mother, so there are about a million Marys out there, too.

ETA: my dad's side of the family is very southern, so we have some winners out there like Mozelle, Crawford, Voncile, and Otis (pronounced, for no apparent reason, Ottis)

My dad has his family tree going back to the 1200s in England- Cecilia is very common, as is Susan which I found in virtually every generation- I am Susan (by birth) although they didn't name me that consciously. I like Cecilia too, a lot= that is a name I would consider using and I have mentioned to my dd she should name a daughter Cecilia :) .

My grand mother still alive (she is 90) is Enid May- not so keen on that. My other grandmother was Gladice- not so keen on that either. My grandfather still alive- 97- is Dennis. My other grandfather was Horace.

I remember lots of Johns and Thomases. My great uncle is Reginald. A great aunt is Sylvia. Another is Marjorie. All very English.

We have

Delilah (no way - When I asked my mom why her mother was named that, she said, "Because her mother was a mean woman." :( )

Alice (that's a nice one)

Lou (eh)

Doratha (love it)

Lorena (yes)

Annie Mae (well...)

Joyce (yes)

Allen (still a good one)

Sterling (like it)

Ernest (no)

all other men names I can think of are still used

My great great grandmother's name was Harriette Phidelia Lucina Haskell Orvis. Quite the mouthful, eh? She went by Delia. ;)

My oldest is named Mary after my grandmother. It's a lovely name and has really grown on me.

Long names must have been the rage, I have a great or maybe great great grandmother named Cecelia Helen Gertrude Agnes Goldberg- then she married and added on Puett!

Edited by indigomama

My grandfather's name was Ross Eugene; he went by Gene, but don't you think Ross is a total surprise for a man who was named almost a hundred years ago? I thought that was a "modern" name!

My grandfather, born in 1901, was named Ross Oliver. According to the Name Voyager, it was popular in the late 1800s, lost popularity, then peaked again in the 1980s.

oh, how could I forget? My maternal grandmother's name is Marvel! I've never heard that name anywhere else. She is 93 years old & still likes to go dancing, get her hair done & does her make up every day! Oh, and she has a boyfriend! I love it.

I'm a Mary ~ named after a great-grandmother. Most of my other g-parents had what turned out to be modern names except two. One was an Edna and another was Frances and I actually like both the names but haven't met anyone with them.

ETA: I just remembered we also have a Wilford ~ but I don't really like that one as much.

Edited by Horton

My family has Rosa, Frieda, Dorothy, and Alice for female names that I'd like to see again. For males, Frederick is the family name, but I like Roger, too.

From DH's family, I like Ruby, Pearl, Victoria, and Gwendolyn for girls. They don't really have any great boy names, though David runs in the family. DH's father's middle name is Rodwell... and I wouldn't saddle a kid with that ever!

Speaking of Anne of Green Gables, I would love to name a son Gilbert (my grandfather's name). Alas, it has been vetoed by my DH. How cute would a little Gil running around the house be?

I have a great uncle Gilbert who went by "Gib". We toyed with naming one of our boys that. He had a brother "Emmett", and that won out!

I sincerely hope that no one resurrects my family's names.

In just 2 generations, all in one family we have:

Arvil

Hubert

Chestly

Buford

Avis

Pauline

Luther

Obed

Olie

Eade

Winfred

I also had an aunt Mug (I have not idea what it was short for-it was a shortened version of somthing LOL)

And last but not least Anna. Gotta love Anna. Just about every girl in our famly since these two generations have Anna in them. From Tanna to Annalicia.... It was the only name that was okay to use. LOL

All but one from one branch of the family tree....:lol: Would it surprise you to find out they are from Oklahoma :lol:

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

We use family names for middles names. :)

Our family has:

Wilford

Lorine

Lora

Henry

John

Robert

Millie

Virginia

Helen

Jane

Dorothy

Ruth

Lily

Maxfield

Franklin

Randolph

Thomas

Rensselaer

I liked Lorine as a first name, but dh vetoed it. It's my dd's middle name. :)

FlyingMOm, I'm also a Kelly with a Mary! She was named after my mom (so her grandma) who was named after her grandma. Maybe her granddaughter will also be a Mary.

Some of the family names we've got:

Doris

Helen

Darlene

Flora

Maxine

Eunice

Ruth

Nelyne

Eva

Warren

Wayne

Herman

Talmadge

Don't like many of them, to tell the truth...

oh, how could I forget? My maternal grandmother's name is Marvel! I've never heard that name anywhere else. She is 93 years old & still likes to go dancing, get her hair done & does her make up every day! Oh, and she has a boyfriend! I love it.

My dh's maternal grandfather was named Marvel. We think he was born around 1915 and died around age 40. Dh's brother has Marvel as his middle name.

I'm a Mary ~ named after a great-grandmother. Most of my other g-parents had what turned out to be modern names except two. One was an Edna and another was Frances and I actually like both the names but haven't met anyone with them.

ETA: I just remembered we also have a Wilford ~ but I don't really like that one as much.

My maternal grandmother's name was Martha Frances, my mother's name was Frances Roberta, my name is Susan Frances, but I'm sorry, I just couldn't name my daughter Frances! Never did like it.