Menu

You Know You're in the Midwest when...

1. You see people walking around in sandals, jeans/shorts, and winter jackets in anticipation of The Thaw.

2. You've been served the most amazing chicken soup from a burn barrel, stirred with a boat paddle...aka Booyah.

3. Your corn on the cob comes with a coffee can filled with melted butter as a condiment but takes up more area than your actual meal on your plate.

You're next...

Edited by LauraGB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. You see people walking around in sandals, jeans/shorts, and winter jackets in anticipation of The Thaw.

2. You've been served the most amazing chicken soup from a burn barrel, stirred with a boat paddle...aka Booyah.

3. Your corn on the cob comes with a coffee can filled with melted butter as a condiment but takes up more area than your actual meal on your plate.

You're next...

Our Booyah always had fish, fresh from the lake.

Our Booyah always had fish, fresh from the lake.

I wasn't familiar with "booyah" so I googled it. Earlier today I had to google beanie weenies. I totally feel like this is my personal American Foods 101 class, and I have so much to learn LOL.

Booyah sounds interesting; the concept behind it (per the ever-reliable wiki) in particular. It kind of reminded me of Stone Soup.

certain words have random 'R's thrown into them ~ like warshroom, where one warshes her hands :)

My FIL does this - but he grew up in Worshington state, and spent much of his adult life in Worshington DC. :lol: I've been told there's a midwest "accent" but didn't think this was part of it.

My FIL does this - but he grew up in Worshington state, and spent much of his adult life in Worshington DC. :lol: I've been told there's a midwest "accent" but didn't think this was part of it.

My dad does this - he also says "zink" when he means "sink". I think it's an Americanized French thing...lots of French explorers came here to settle. I think it's similar in the south, around Louisiana and such.

The lakes accent is more pronounced in the 'o' and 'oo' sounds. They are impossible to describe, but unmistakable.

You know you're in the Midwest when you say to a local person, "It's so flat here," and he leans back in surprise and says, "This is the HILLY part!"

You know you're in the Midwest when you see 4 Lutheran churches in 3 blocks.

You know you're in the Midwest when you hear people dropping "to be" out of phrases (ie, "The grass needs mowed," or "My hair needs cut.").

Or when you're startled by the notion that someone would grill and eat something that sounds like it more properly belongs in a kleenex.

Or when they drop 'is' as in 'in it?' for 'isn't it?'

Or when Friday is Fish Fry Night.

Oh yeah, but my real pet peeve is that here (and in the next state north) they don't call it a Fish Fry, they call it a Fish Feed.

C'mon, does that make ANY sense? Literally, we've seen all these signs:

Fish Feed

Catfish Feed

Shrimp Feed

Pancake Feed

That last one always gets me. I mean, what DO you feed a pancake? What do they like to eat?!!!

You know you're in a small town in the midwest when churches and bars are the main non residential buildings. And there's always a Dairy Queen or Stuckey's if you're in Missouri.

Also, when Illinois has an s at the end, but Missouri has an A at the end.

Fish Fries were not something I grew up with though, I think that's more of northern thing. I'm from Kansas but was born in Illinois-near Chicago. When we first moved there everyone told my parents they could tell we were from "up north" because of the accent. :lol:

Oh yeah, but my real pet peeve is that here (and in the next state north) they don't call it a Fish Fry, they call it a Fish Feed.

C'mon, does that make ANY sense? Literally, we've seen all these signs:

Fish Feed

Catfish Feed

Shrimp Feed

Pancake Feed

That last one always gets me. I mean, what DO you feed a pancake? What do they like to eat?!!!

Huh. We only have crab feeds, and only once per year per sponsoring charity. They are really something, though.

My dad does this - he also says "zink" when he means "sink". I think it's an Americanized French thing...lots of French explorers came here to settle. I think it's similar in the south, around Louisiana and such.

There are definitely "R"s in the warsh in TX.

My grandmother always said zink and she was German and lived her whole life in southern Indiana.

I have no idea why that's relevant, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

You know that you're in the midWest when you say that yes, you'd love some salad, and they plop green jello on your plate!

(dh's grandmother did this to me over 20 years ago, and I still have not recovered from the experience)

You know that you're in the midWest when you say that yes, you'd love some salad, and they plop green jello on your plate!

(dh's grandmother did this to me over 20 years ago, and I still have not recovered from the experience)

Did that green jello have marshmallows, nuts and celery in it?

A hot dog only needs Mustard, relish, cucumber, tomato and onion.....oh and celery salt.

or

we need to goto "the Jewels"

as in Jewel Osco.

maybe that's more of a Chicago thing tho.

And sport peppers. Don't forget the sport peppers.

Jewel went out of business here, but I saw some open in Chicago, so maybe it's just a Chicago store now.

Did that green jello have marshmallows, nuts and celery in it?

Yes, it did! I don't like Jello in the first place, and I had never seen it with . . . stuff in it. I don't know what was worse, having to eat some of it, or restraining myself from asking why she called it salad.

... you have to sit through ten minutes of "soybean futures" on the morning news just to get to the weather report, which is wrong anyway.

... your high school yearbook is 50 pages long, and 40 of those are FFA photos (not mine, but I've seen some like that!).

... garage sales are held on Wednesday mornings and Saturday mornings. I have no idea who goes to a Wednesday garage sale.

If you don't like the weather... wait five minutes!

You know you're in the Midwest when you say to a local person, "It's so flat here," and he leans back in surprise and says, "This is the HILLY part!"

Too funny!

My sister recently visited and as we were driving around back roads, roads that were in fact the "hilly" part of our county, she remarked how flat it was.....and I replied back that we were in the hilly area!

Yes, it did! I don't like Jello in the first place, and I had never seen it with . . . stuff in it. I don't know what was worse, having to eat some of it, or restraining myself from asking why she called it salad.

:lol: This is a midwest family reunion staple I think! ewe

Yep. You know you're in the Midwest when the main ingredient in "salad" is either mayo or jello.

Freezer jam.

Too many tomatoes.

Too much zucchini.

And Ketchup. Lots of it.

And when you find these in your car, which you never lock because it is small-town Midwest, with a note saying "I had too much. Enjoy!"

The prayers and concerns at church center on the weather co-operating for planting and harvesting and you always tell your young drivers to watch out for the tractors and the deer.

Our pastor (Yes, a Lutheran pastor) always prays for the farmers and harvest.

We had White Castles in the south, too.

In the Midwest only (far as I know), you can pick up a Runza from a drive thru.

That's a Nebraska thing. Runza is what sold me on living in Nebraska. Yum!