Menu

Amazon won't hire homeschoolers?

I am still waiting on a response from emails and phone calls.

I 100% believe it is the employers option to set their own standards as to who they hire. I also believe it is my option to spend my money where I think it best benefits my family goals.

Maybe this policy was put in place several years ago without thought to homeschoolers. If so they may realize that homeschoolers are different from high school drop outs and should not have to get a GED. Maybe not.

My understanding is that HSLDA was trying to point this out to them in a nice way not threatening to sue them. They don't have any grounds to.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still waiting on a response from emails and phone calls.

I 100% believe it is the employers option to set their own standards as to who they hire. I also believe it is my option to spend my money where I think it best benefits my family goals.

Maybe this policy was put in place several years ago without thought to homeschoolers. If so they may realize that homeschoolers are different from high school drop outs and should not have to get a GED. Maybe not.

My understanding is that HSLDA was trying to point this out to them in a nice way not threatening to sue them. They don't have any grounds to.

My thoughts are all jumbled up. Of course they have the right to set their own hiring standards when it comes to education, but I have a HUGE problem with the idea that they're making an absolute ton of money off of me in my efforts to do something it seems they find inferior.

If the owner of my local used bookstore were to tell me he thought homeschooling was baloney, I certainly wouldn't continue to shop there. But Amazon kinda has me by the youknowwhats unless I'm willing to sacrifice big. And I just got a Kindle for my birthday!

I can't see myself boycotting Amazon either, but I can see myself going to Barnes and Noble more and more. B&N gave me an educator's discount card with no proof that I'm a homeschooler aside from my word. And they're about three miles away. And they have Starbucks inside... ;)

It's not about the OP's friend. It's about them having an anti-homeschooler policy in general. I can understand how such a policy came to be. I don't understand how they didn't realize it was a bad idea as soon as it was pointed out to them.

Edited by Mimm

whether amazon hires the OP's homeschooled friend is immaterial to me and I certainly am not going to boycott them over their decision.:)

I'd never boycott over a single no-hire, either, especially when it involves a person I don't know in the least. But as a standard practice? Yes, I do feel like they're giving me and every other homeschooler a giant middle finger while happily taking our money.

My thoughts are all jumbled up. Of course they have the right to set their own hiring standards when it comes to education, but I have a HUGE problem with the idea that they're making an absolute ton of money off of me in my efforts to do something it seems they find inferior.

I totally agree with putting your money behind your beliefs. My original comments were geared towards some "mention you lawyer (HSLDA) and see how fast they change their mind" comments.

I graduated with an engineering degree from a small department. Part of the challenge for our department was changing misconceptions. Our professors/department head/etc... spent time educating companies about us so they would give us a chance. Now, we knew when we picked that major, that it could be an issue. It wasn't one of the well knowns like chemical or mechanical. We picked the department because of the benefits of a small department. We got lots of individual attention. Worked with the professors. Had dinner with the department head. But once we graduated, we could hardly call foul when we still faced some companies who wouldn't even select our degree to allow us to apply to interview when they came to campus.

I'd never boycott over a single no-hire, either, especially when it involves a person I don't know in the least. But as a standard practice? Yes, I do feel like they're giving me and every other homeschooler a giant middle finger while happily taking our money.

And that I will boycott. I spend thousands of dollars at Amazon, and I can NOT support a company that has not hiring home-educated students as a company policy. And having to go take a GED to meet their requirement is insulting.

It's not about the OP's friend. It's about them having an anti-homeschooler policy in general. I can understand how such a policy came to be. I don't understand how they didn't realize it was a bad idea as soon as it was pointed out to them.

:iagree: Same here, a story about a single person that I don't know raises awareness and causes me to ask questions. If I find out this is a standard practice policy then I will act with the goal of effecting change.

This is a tough situation really. But this is exactly what I've been telling dd18 who has been taking her time in completing her accredited high school program. In Georgia, homeschool graduates cannot be state-approved, so really, anyone can say they are a homeschool graduate without completing the work and no one would really know.

Colleges require proof of high school education for admission. That be can shown with an accredited diploma, GED, or homeschool portfolio. Employers who require a high school education can ask for the same proof. However, I can't imagine an employer being willing to sift through a homeschool portfolio and feel competent to judge if the high school work was completed and mastered.

But it's this type of hassle that we want to avoid, which is why we use an accredited high school program. There are other Georgia homeschoolers who feel that people like me are messing up the works, but I can't think of the group as a whole. I have to do what is best for my children.

Exactly.

:iagree: I would be sad to eliminate them from my favorites, but I would do it. This could set up an easy way to discriminate against homeschool grads that more anti homeschooling factions could follow.

A comment about filling out applications. When my children fill out an application and it has a spot to check that they have a high school diploma, I have told them to check it. They DO have a high school diploma. It has been issued by their father and myself, but our students have met our private requirements for high school graduation. Perhaps the solution is as simple as checking the correct box? (most forms I have seen do not designate that it be a *state-certified* diploma)

Just a thought.

Frankly, when a place requires a high school diploma, it is just an easy way to make a first cut, and I don't think they mind that they are cutting out homeschoolers (a truly small minority) in the process. A high school diploma is an indication that the person was able to show up for four years--and showing up is a key requirement for a warehouse position!

When we homeschool, particularly when we homeschool high school, we do assume some risk by going against the norms of society.

A comment about filling out applications. When my children fill out an application and it has a spot to check that they have a high school diploma, I have told them to check it. They DO have a high school diploma. It has been issued by their father and myself, but our students have met our private requirements for high school graduation. Perhaps the solution is as simple as checking the correct box? (most forms I have seen do not designate that it be a *state-certified* diploma)

Just a thought.

That's what I wondered. It's been a heck of a long time since I filled out a job app, but do they really check out if I attended XYZ public school? Yes, my ds will have a diploma. I can probably order certificate templates from Amazon. :tongue_smilie:

Frankly, when a place requires a high school diploma, it is just an easy way to make a first cut, and I don't think they mind that they are cutting out homeschoolers (a truly small minority) in the process. A high school diploma is an indication that the person was able to show up for four years--and showing up is a key requirement for a warehouse position!

When we homeschool, particularly when we homeschool high school, we do assume some risk by going against the norms of society.

Is this a sign of simple semantics? I can order an official high school diploma and sign it. No job I applied for EVER asked to see my high school diploma. I graduated early and went to work as a high school graduate, it was six months before I even saw my diploma.

I can see where "official" might be used by an employer. "Accredited" might be shooting themselves in the foot as it would disallow many private school graduates as well.

Is this a sign of simple semantics? I can order an official high school diploma and sign it. No job I applied for EVER asked to see my high school diploma. I graduated early and went to work as a high school graduate, it was six months before I even saw my diploma.

I can see where "official" might be used by an employer. "Accredited" might be shooting themselves in the foot as it would disallow many private school graduates as well.

This is what I'm wondering. Most private schools do not issue "state certified" diplomas either.

I think this is why it's a good idea to give a schooly name to your homeschool and issue a diploma with seals and whatnot.

How did the homeschooling issue come about in the context of this application/interview? If you wrote in that you graduated from Oak Street Classical School and checked the box that you had a diploma (regardless that it was issued by your parents), would they question that further? Should we train our kids to talk about a coach, tutor or mentor when asked about favorite teachers or subjects?

whether amazon hires the OP's homeschooled friend is immaterial to me and I certainly am not going to boycott them over their decision.:)

Maybe it's just me having a grumpy day, but why get on this thread and say this. It struck me as slightly unpleasant to the OP. Maybe other people boycotting is immaterial to the OP too.:)

I don't usually think this way, and we don't even have confirmation from Amazon that this is indeed their hiring policy, but might this be a way to discriminate? Most private schools are religious in nature, and many homeschool for religious reason. I know there are many secular homeschoolers but I think it's fair to say that they're not in the majority - from what I've read here.

If private school graduates and homeschoolers aren't considered for jobs, my shopping will change.

Colleges require proof of high school education for admission. That be can shown with an accredited diploma, GED, or homeschool portfolio.

Wow, this is so NOT true. I have a college freshman and he didn't need any of the three options you give. He just needed his "mommy diploma and transcript," SAT/ACT scores, and an application. He got accepted everywhere he applied.

Middle son has every single Ivy and top 100 college sending him info due to his ACT and PSAT scores. Pretty much all of them have acknowledged he's a homeschooler. Some have called him. Others have invited him to special days. A couple have already offered him free tuition if he applies. None have said he needs any of the three things you say are needed.

Maybe there's "a" or two college out there that requires those things, but it certainly isn't the majority. They want proof of education, but scores and mommy transcripts/grades count.

Should add... I'm definitely changing my shopping - starting now - unless I find out differently about Amazon's policy. I'm not ordering anything right away anyway, so there's time to find out. I just won't support a company that so blatantly (if true) discriminates in this manner.

I actually have to take the side of Amazon.com and here is the reason. I have worked for Amazon.com in the past before I had my son and I know a lot of people that currently work at our local facility. I graduated from an unaccredited christian high school and had absolutely no trouble getting hired there back in 2006. One individual that currently works there was homeschooled and didn't have a bit of a problem getting hired. This person has been working there for more than 4 years and has worked themselves up in the business. He did not have a college degree at that time.

Amazon.com has the right to require a diploma or GED. The reason they allow the GED is so that homeschoolers that do not have a diploma from a public school can get employed. They DO NOT have a anti-homeschool policy. If your friend's son really wants a job with Amazon then suggest that he get his GED. Being a huge supporter of homeschooling and a homeschooler myself I do not see why getting a GED is seen so negatively by other homeschoolers. Most homeschoolers I know would blow the test out of the water. My brother-in-law is wanting to work for Amazon this summer and is just graduating this May. However, he is not going to have a state (public school) diploma and I don't think he is going to have a problem at all in getting hired at Amazon.

Just to reiterate, Amazon.com in no way has a discriminatory no-hire policy for homeschoolers. When I applied back in 2006 for a position I wrote down the two schools I went to my senior year and checked the box for the diploma. The had no issue hiring me being a homeschooled/christian school graduate. All that wanted to know is if I had a diploma and they did ask for a copy of the diploma for proof that I in fact did graduate. They accepted my diploma no problem. I worked my rear-end off while I worked there and gave them no reason not to hire me or to fire me.

I do have one thing to clear up with the original poster. For most of Amazon's facilities they hire through a temp agency. I was hired through a temp agency and they are who required the diploma. When Amazon hires their full time employees they mainly go by the quality of their work and their attendance when hiring. Employees are first required to work a minimum amount of time with the temp agency then they are eligible to be hired or not by Amazon. However, I know that at our local facility they do have job fairs once or twice a year where Amazon hires people straight onto their permanent work force. This is not as common for our local FC though. Like I said earlier, I had no problem getting hired on twice through the same temp agency. Both times there were homeschoolers that were hired at the same time and I know that some of them went on to work for Amazon.com and move up in the company with no problem and without having to answer any questions about their homeschooling. Since quitting that job I have been called back on several occasions by the same temp agency to start working for them again. However, I have declined every time because I am busy enough with my son.

Edited by godsmissiongal

If your friend's son really wants a job with Amazon then suggest that he get his GED. Being a huge supporter of homeschooling and a homeschooler myself I do not see why getting a GED is seen so negatively by other homeschoolers.

Because having a GED vs. a diploma makes you ineligible for certain military programs, scholarships and so forth.

My brother-in-law is wanting to work for Amazon this summer and is just graduating this May. However, he is not going to have a state (public school) diploma and I don't think he is going to have a problem at all in getting hired at Amazon.
Why? Is he going to take the GED?

I actually have to take the side of Amazon.com and here is the reason. I have worked for Amazon.com in the past before I had my son and I know a lot of people that currently work at our local facility. I graduated from an unaccredited christian high school and had absolutely no trouble getting hired there back in 2006. One individual that currently works there was homeschooled and didn't have a bit of a problem getting hired. This person has been working there for more than 4 years and has worked themselves up in the business. He did not have a college degree at that time.

Amazon.com has the right to require a diploma or GED. The reason they allow the GED is so that homeschoolers that do not have a diploma from a public school can get employed. They DO NOT have a anti-homeschool policy. If your friend's son really wants a job with Amazon then suggest that he get his GED. Being a huge supporter of homeschooling and a homeschooler myself I do not see why getting a GED is seen so negatively by other homeschoolers. Most homeschoolers I know would blow the test out of the water. My brother-in-law is wanting to work for Amazon this summer and is just graduating this May. However, he is not going to have a state (public school) diploma and I don't think he is going to have a problem at all in getting hired at Amazon.

So did you have to get a GED since you didn't have a state issued diploma? That would be one of the discrepencies (aka, they aren't following their own demand..."state issued" diploma...the statement should be "we require a state issued diploma out of some people and not others or a GED").

A GED could hurt this kid if he later chooses to sign up for the military or apply for a job at another company, etc. The military has, in the past, considered "GED" code for "drop out" and it affects pay/grade/track...it hurts their career! There are other companies that may look on it in the same manner. Now, if a person truly dropped out of school and could not move on to college without it, etc, a GED is a good thing in that it's a step in the right direction. But I entirely agree with a kid refusing to get a GED on the grounds that it declares something about him to others that is untrue and could hurt his future career (granted, once he gets his college degree, the point will be moot, but that is not the case for everyone).

Oh, and yes, they have the right to require it at Amazon. We also have the right to refuse to do business with Amazon ;)

Let me state something-I don't think Amazon is specifically targeting homeschoolers for discrimination. My assumption is that this policy was put in place by well meaning people to weed out undesirable candidates.

That being said, this is a great opportunity to flex some of our consumer muscle and rectify the issue. At this point I am not shopping there. I will start shopping at Amazon again as soon as they provide me with something in writing saying they will accept parent issued diplomas. If they chose not to then I won't shop there.

I originally started the thread to ask if anyone else was aware of this and to bring the issue up not to start a boycott.

I was hoping that someone had heard of it and knew a way around it.

According to his mom the issue of his diploma came up when HR called and offered him the job. They asked for his diploma and she said would provide it. At that point they told her it had to be a "state certified diploma".

Again I am not getting anything in writing from Amazon, even though I have called and emailed. As soon as I do I will post it.

I do plan on calling and emailing every few days until I get a response. I chose to believe this is a bad policy not discrimination until I see otherwise.

If others feel compelled to call our write the number is (206) 266-1000. When I addressed this via the phone they recommended I email the following address careers@amazon.com. If anyone has better contact info I would appreciate it.

Let me state something-I don't think Amazon is specifically targeting homeschoolers for discrimination. My assumption is that this policy was put in place by well meaning people to weed out undesirable candidates.

That being said, this is a great opportunity to flex some of our consumer muscle and rectify the issue. At this point I am not shopping there. I will start shopping at Amazon again as soon as they provide me with something in writing saying they will accept parent issued diplomas. If they chose not to then I won't shop there.

I originally started the thread to ask if anyone else was aware of this and to bring the issue up not to start a boycott.

I was hoping that someone had heard of it and knew a way around it.

According to his mom the issue of his diploma came up when HR called and offered him the job. They asked for his diploma and she said would provide it. At that point they told her it had to be a "state certified diploma".

Again I am not getting anything in writing from Amazon, even though I have called and emailed. As soon as I do I will post it.

I do plan on calling and emailing every few days until I get a response. I chose to believe this is a bad policy not discrimination until I see otherwise.

If others feel compelled to call our write the number is (206) 266-1000. When I addressed this via the phone they recommended I email the following address careers@amazon.com. If anyone has better contact info I would appreciate it.

I fully appreciate your thread on this. It's been other homeschoolers who have paved the way for MY homeschoolers to have the opportunities they have now. I see this as another step in that process. MY kids may never care to work for Amazon. It doesn't matter to me. I still won't buy from them if they are going to be anti-homeschooler in their hiring.

Yes, I agree they have the right to do so. And I have the right to spend money where I want to. I choose to not spend money with a company that would choose not to hire my boys due to their schooling option.

As others have said, a GED is a negative thing in the outside world. It's good if one never graduated and wants to catch up, but not good if one did graduate, completed the work, and is moving on.

Just to reiterate, Amazon.com in no way has a discriminatory no-hire policy for homeschoolers. When I applied back in 2006 for a position I wrote down the two schools I went to my senior year and checked the box for the diploma. The had no issue hiring me being a homeschooled/christian school graduate. All that wanted to know is if I had a diploma and they did ask for a copy of the diploma for proof that I in fact did graduate. They accepted my diploma no problem. I worked my rear-end off while I worked there and gave them no reason not to hire me or to fire me.

I do have one thing to clear up with the original poster. For most of Amazon's facilities they hire through a temp agency. I was hired through a temp agency and they are who required the diploma. When Amazon hires their full time employees they mainly go by the quality of their work and their attendance when hiring. Employees are first required to work a minimum amount of time with the temp agency then they are eligible to be hired or not by Amazon. However, I know that at our local facility they do have job fairs once or twice a year where Amazon hires people straight onto their permanent work force. This is not as common for our local FC though. Like I said earlier, I had no problem getting hired on twice through the same temp agency. Both times there were homeschoolers that were hired at the same time and I know that some of them went on to work for Amazon.com and move up in the company with no problem and without having to answer any questions about their homeschooling. Since quitting that job I have been called back on several occasions by the same temp agency to start working for them again. However, I have declined every time because I am busy enough with my son.

Hello,

My name is Nicole, who are you? You seem very pro amazon, which is fine. I love their company too, although this hiring policy concerns me. I will be watching to see the outcome.

As this is your first post, and you just joined, you might want to introduce yourself to the board. Do you homeschool?

Yes!! :iagree: The talk of boycotting and people getting riled up is jumping the gun. It makes perfect sense that they would require a diploma-any business would. That would not be an anit-homeschool thing. If Amazon isn't accepting diplomas issued by parents, then it's something to educate them about. It doesn't mean they are against homeschoolers.

Why couldn't Amazon accept college transcripts? (Even a semester would prove the student is a bona fide high school grad.)

Why not accept SAT/ACT scores? While these don't prove high school graduation, that mixed with a homeschool diploma is enough to get into college.

I see why Amazon has the policy. I think they can (and should) tweak it to make it reasonable for homeschoolers. It would take no more effort to provide or examine an extra SAT/ACT score or college transcript....

I do not have a GED and neither did the other Homeschoolers that were hired along side me. Just diplomas from unaccredited private schools or homeschools. They never asked me for a GED or for further proof of education. Your friends son could also print off a current or past semester class schedule from his college and an official college transcript and that would most likely deal with the problem. I had some college at the time I was hired but no degree. I had a copy of my transcript in hand when I went to apply for the job but they never asked for it. My high school diploma was good enough.

I purchase thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Amazon every year and I am not planning on changing that anytime soon. You are free to boycott them if it is your wish but I think this is a moot point. None of us were present at the job interview or while filing out the application. I know from experience with this company that it is not their policy to not hire homeschoolers. One request I have would be to ask the mother or son if they were going through a temp agency or directly through amazon. I would say it is possible that they have much stricter policies when hiring people straight because they do not have a work history to look at. They are putting themselves at higher risk of hiring a person with a bad work ethic when they hire people straight off the streets as opposed to through the temp agency because they have a 6 month record of how that individual has preformed on their job. I would suggest to the son to either find a job at a different business or try to get hired on through the temp agency associated with the Facility. If they do not have a temp agency then I would just find a job elsewhere. He is not being discriminated against for being a homeschooler.

My name is Audrey and I am a stay at home mother to a three year old son with speech developmental delays. I am a homeschooler and plan on never again placing my son in the public school system. My son went through the First Steps/Early intervention program for speech problems and once he turned 3 we were talked into sending him to our local school. He lasted 2 days. He came home the second day of school with a smashed finger with dried blood running down his finger and over his hand. It didn't even look like the teacher looked at his hand much less clean it off. He learned absolutely nothing at the school but bad habits. We have since taken him out of school and their Speech Therapy and I am currently looking for a good at-home speech therapy curriculum for a child his age. I think I have found it in Straight Talk. I am a Christian and go to a local Independent Baptist Church. I have always been a huge fan of homeschooling as my husband and all of his siblings have been homeschooled and are all so intelligent and well grounded. I have recently met more homeschooling families in my community at church. I am hoping that with the help of the church and the use of their facilities to start up a homeschool co-op in by next school year. I have taught in christian schools since my senior year in high school. I lived one year on the mission field in Belize teaching high school/middle school students at an English speaking school in a small fishing village.

I am not trying to stir up trouble. And I would not consider myself pro-Amazon necessarily. However, I believe that it is a bit irresponsible to jump on the ban wagon of one individual who is a third person in the original incident. If they do not want to purchase items from Amazon they have every right to do so. I do believe that it is wrong to defame the name of a business without knowing all information. I know from experience that this business has no stated or written policy against hiring homeschoolers and they go out of their way to provide homeschoolers good quality text books and other resources.

I do not have a GED and neither did the other Homeschoolers that were hired along side me. Just diplomas from unaccredited private schools or homeschools. They never asked me for a GED or for further proof of education. Your friends son could also print off a current or past semester class schedule from his college and an official college transcript and that would most likely deal with the problem. I had some college at the time I was hired but no degree. I had a copy of my transcript in hand when I went to apply for the job but they never asked for it. My high school diploma was good enough.

I purchase thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Amazon every year and I am not planning on changing that anytime soon. You are free to boycott them if it is your wish but I think this is a moot point. None of us were present at the job interview or while filing out the application. I know from experience with this company that it is not their policy to not hire homeschoolers. One request I have would be to ask the mother or son if they were going through a temp agency or directly through amazon. I would say it is possible that they have much stricter policies when hiring people straight because they do not have a work history to look at. They are putting themselves at higher risk of hiring a person with a bad work ethic when they hire people straight off the streets as opposed to through the temp agency because they have a 6 month record of how that individual has preformed on their job. I would suggest to the son to either find a job at a different business or try to get hired on through the temp agency associated with the Facility. If they do not have a temp agency then I would just find a job elsewhere. He is not being discriminated against for being a homeschooler.

Apparently policy has changed since you were hired. Again, might not be "anti-homeschooler", but still a poor policy and a company that needs to be educated.

So, let us know how the contacts go. I don't want to out and out boycott amazon, but I would love to know what we can do to help educate them about home school seeing as we are probably some of their bigger customers.

In the mean time, anyone who is resisting amazon while people are finding out about their policy, check out Powell's. They are great! I try to buy from them whenever possible. I am lucky in that I live pretty close to their brick and mortar store.

Personally I tend to boycott only over really big moral issues. Like I have not bought from Nike since the resigned Michael Vick.

Edited by Northwest_Mama
bad spelling

Playing Devil's Advocate here:

So I've been reading this thread, and putting myself in Amazon's shoes to try to get a sense of their perspective. I believe if you don't like something, it can be helpful to provide a new vision of a better version, rather than just pointing out the negatives of the old version. With that in mind, if we were to encourage (or work with) Amazon to change the policy (assuming it is a "state diploma or GED policy, which we're not sure of yet), what would we want them to change it to? We would need to suggest a policy that addressed their presumed concerns (that employees have a certain basic skill set showing both content knowledge and perhaps also behavior skills (working on something over time to accomplish something)). What alternate criteria would you suggest? Successful completion of a certain number of college credits is one route, but not every homeschool graduate would have that. Also, how would you deal with the potential issue of a non-qualified candidate (that is, someone who left high school early and did not continue) having mom type up a diploma for them? (Do you think that's a valid concern? If not, why not?)

Amazon, like all companies, has to invest a certain amount of time training new employees, and by limiting their work force to high school graduates they are presumably trying to avoid taking on staff who will not work out in the long run. What kind of criteria should homeschoolers have to meet to show Amazon that they should be part of the desired applicant pool?

Guest Dulcimeramy

askPauline, I don't know what I would want Amazon to do. For that reason, I have no intention of boycotting the site that makes it possible for me to afford gluten-free groceries for my kids (and books with free shipping).

Frankly, education in America is such a mess right now that I wouldn't be impressed with a public high school diploma, if I were an employer. I'd be giving tests to prospective employees to be sure they had the skills required for the job.

So I've been reading this thread, and putting myself in Amazon's shoes to try to get a sense of their perspective. I believe if you don't like something, it can be helpful to provide a new vision of a better version, rather than just pointing out the negatives of the old version. With that in mind, if we were to encourage (or work with) Amazon to change the policy (assuming it is a "state diploma or GED policy, which we're not sure of yet), what would we want them to change it to? We would need to suggest a policy that addressed their presumed concerns (that employees have a certain basic skill set showing both content knowledge and perhaps also behavior skills (working on something over time to accomplish something)). What alternate criteria would you suggest? Successful completion of a certain number of college credits is one route, but not every homeschool graduate would have that. Also, how would you deal with the potential issue of a non-qualified candidate (that is, someone who left high school early and did not continue) having mom type up a diploma for them? (Do you think that's a valid concern? If not, why not?)

Amazon, like all companies, has to invest a certain amount of time training new employees, and by limiting their work force to high school graduates they are presumably trying to avoid taking on staff who will not work out in the long run. What kind of criteria should homeschoolers have to meet to show Amazon that they should be part of the desired applicant pool?

Good questions. I think I would need to know more about their hiring procedures though. I mean, do they really just hire straight from the application paper? I've never had a job that didn't involve an interview. Of course, I haven't had a job in over 9 years, so there's that, lol. But I think an interview goes a long way in backing up (or not) paper claims.

Homeschooler or not, *anyone can SAY they have a diploma, and *anyone can print up a believable looking one. That's not unique to hs.

I agree-yet at the same time this issue with Amazon is likely to be reflective of other organizations' bias towards homeschoolers. The reality is that we do want our kids to be successful working adults, so why not pay attention to what is important for that success? Perhaps this is a reason why we should get some college under their belts, etc?

askPauline, I don't know what I would want Amazon to do. For that reason, I have no intention of boycotting the site that makes it possible for me to afford gluten-free groceries for my kids (and books with free shipping).

Frankly, education in America is such a mess right now that I wouldn't be impressed with a public high school diploma, if I were an employer. I'd be giving tests to prospective employees to be sure they had the skills required for the job.

I've had to take tests for most of the jobs I ended up getting. PetSmart made me take a math test and an ethics test before hiring me, and I had to take a skill specific test at the Veterinary Hospitals that hired me. A job for receptionist required me to take a test that included alphabetizing, lol.

This is a simple thing to do. If PetSmart can do it, Amazon can too.

I did apologize for jumping in and stating my opinion. But no matter how many posts I have or have not made is irrelevant in my opinion. I have been a member of many message boards in the past and I also understand that some people get on these boards to cause problems. I however, am not one such individual. I was simply stating my opinion and my own experience. I believe that it is more hurtful for someone to act as though I am some trouble maker who makes up lies to prove a point than to just disagree with what I have to say. I in no way attacked anyone's beliefs, or opinions. I simply expressed my own experience with the company in question. I have made my peace and I do not believe that I need to constantly defend myself. I was not trying to be rude or cause a problem. I was just simply inserting my good experience with the company. I am not a liar or trouble maker, and it was not my intent to accuse anyone else as one. I realize I jumped in awkwardly but that shouldn't warrant a verbal lashing out. I do agree that we need to hear from corporate but you need to be a bit more humane in how you react to other individuals and not discredit their opinion or experiences just solely because they are new.

I thank those of you who have accepted my apology and welcomed me.

I'm not sure why a document that is acceptable for college admissions and military enlistment (transcript documenting courses completed, with or without accompanying course descriptions) should be less acceptable for job applications.

Colleges have other tools that they also use for admissions, including test scores, personal statements and interviews.

Employers also have other tools at their disposal, including resumes, job related aptitude tests, professional certificates (ex, many of the Amazon job openings that I found were IT jobs that wanted IT related certs) and an interview.

He had the interview and was offered the job. It wasn't until they found out he was homeschooled and did not have an "official state diploma" that there was a problem.

I have not had a written response from Amazon about any of this as of yet. I will post it if I ever get one.

I certainly agree that Amazon has the right to set any guideline they would like. My only point is why would they not except a parent issued diploma?

Amazon's response on the phone (to me) is that you must have an official state diploma or a GED. So far they have not produced anything in writing.

As I stated earlier I was not trying to stir up a boycott. I just wanted to know if anyone knew how to get around this.

Just a thought.

:iagree:

That's what I wondered. It's been a heck of a long time since I filled out a job app, but do they really check out if I attended XYZ public school? Yes, my ds will have a diploma. I can probably order certificate templates from Amazon. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I think what stinks is if it is true then they are saying that the education of homeschoolers don't matter. What's so much better about a "regular" high school diploma.

Oh and news flash for Amazon. The state doesn't issue the diploma. The high school does.

I have one and it isn't signed by anyone in the state government. It is signed by the principal (at the time) and one other person I can't remember but it was a local person, maybe the vice-principal. So the very idea of "state issued" is absurd.

I will make sure to get a fancy certificate and the holder to go with it and they can present it, if needed, at the time.

Humph, state issued my foot.

As for a GED? Not to knock it (and this isn't meant to offend anyone who has, is getting or will get a GED) but I haven't spent blood, sweat and tears (many of them!) and a large chunk of non-tax-deductible capital just to tell my kids that all the hard work they (and me sheesh) did to finish calculus, advanced chemistry, in depth history, learning to write all different kinds of papers and so on doesn't matter. They have to go get what all the other people who didn't finish high school are getting. Nope, not happening. Utterly preposterous.