Menu

working homeschoolers check in here

I am a Labor Doula for families here in Syracuse. In January, I finished my certification through DONA International. With that, I take on 1-4 clients a month. I'm also about to start teaching childbirth classes.

I'm also temporarily working 10pm-7am at Walmart to save up for midwifery school.

Balance? That's hard right now. I signed the kids up for time4learning last week because I felt like we weren't getting enough academics in.

My house doesn't fair quite so well and honestly, we have leaned a little more the unschooling front this year than I would like basically just because I am chronically sleep deprived and I am really starting to feel the long term effects from it.

I feel you. Working every night is kicking my butt.

Edited by phathui5

What does it say about all of us? We are seriously educated and attempting to balance quite a number of duties and responsibilities. :) What is the word I am looking for ...

SUPER MOMS

Where did I leave my red cape?:lol::lol::lol:

We are a pretty cool bunch of gals, aren't we? :D My hat is off in particular to those who are working full time and also homeschooling.

The benefits (for me) of reading through these posts are that it makes me feel not so alone in being a working homeschooling mom (which is a bit of an oxymoron to most of the general public) and it also helps to inspire me when I am feeling overwhelmed. If all of you can do it, then so can I.;)

We are a pretty cool bunch of gals, aren't we? :D My hat is off in particular to those who are working full time and also homeschooling.

The benefits (for me) of reading through these posts are that it makes me feel not so alone in being a working homeschooling mom (which is a bit of an oxymoron to most of the general public) and it also helps to inspire me when I am feeling overwhelmed. If all of you can do it, then so can I.;)

I was also pleased to see others like myself. I was beginning to feel rather lonely and often afraid to mention my choice to work. I am awed that other moms manage a full time career.

Your point regarding how the general public or general society would view the typical homeschool mom is so relevant. I think we totally derail their perceived notions about homeschooling mothers. :lol:

I think we are awesome.;)

Edit: Yes, my housekeeping needs to be scheduled too. Everyone else is not alone.

Your point regarding how the general public or general society would view the typical homeschool mom is so relevant. I think we totally derail their perceived notions about homeschooling mothers. :lol:

I think we are awesome.;)

Edit: Yes, my housekeeping needs to be scheduled too. Everyone else is not alone.

Yes, one of my colleagues who knows me pretty well confided with me that I didn't look or act all like homeschool mom at all and that he wasn't quite sure about me at first. LOL!

My dream is to be able to hire someone to do bathrooms and vacuuming. Maybe..

I was also pleased to see others like myself. I was beginning to feel rather lonely and often afraid to mention my choice to work. I am awed that other moms manage a full time career.

Yes, one of my colleagues who knows me pretty well confided with me that I didn't look or act all like homeschool mom at all and that he wasn't quite sure about me at first. LOL!

I really enjoy not fitting into people's preconceived notions.;)

I also take the opportunity each semester to let my students know that I am a homeschooling mom. As they get to know me, it normalizes homeschooling a bit for them and gives them an opportunity to be introduced to the concept of homeschooling (maybe for the first time). I think of it as doing my part to educate the general public. Because I am in authority over them, they don't give me flack about it, which is nice. ;) One of my undergraduate students this semester was homeschooled through high school, and I have enjoyed having her in my class. It encourages me for the end goal with my own kids, and she likes that I understand her experience.:001_smile:

Well, I've put off posting in this thread . . . . . but here I am!

Right now, my dh and I are practicing "Giganomics" to keep the ship afloat.

My part: I teach science classes to homeschoolers 1x/week (next year, will be 2x/week); have a small piano studio (9 students); and take playing gigs (Bassoon) wherever I can find one. Just got back from a Mozart opera - it was SO fun, I feel a little guilty getting paid. Well, not that guilty. . . . ;)

Sometimes I look back on the days when I didn't "have" to work, and sigh a bit. Life was so much less complicated. But - those days are gone. You know? Probably for good.

I'm struggling with adjusting my expectations of my homeschool and being realistic about what we can do. Feels like I'm still in the "Mommy doesn't work" mode, and I need to rethink and re-strategize this summer to use my time wisely.

Housework??? Heck, I didn't do that faithfully even when I wasn't working!:D

I am currently working 2 overnight shifts at a local hospital on Friday and Saturday nights.

In 2005, when I was 6mo pregnant, I was laid off from my "career". So I am thankful that I have been able to continue to work even though it isn't what I like to do.

I tried going back to work full-time but Im so over paying someone to watch my kids. I want to do that not PAY someone to do it. So I work the weekends when DH is home.

I would love to be able to move to full-time overnights or do something 100% from home, but I refuse to sell LOL. I have a Paralegal degree but I did not have the opportunity to use it and I am out of practice.

I am looking forward to homeschooling and figuring out my life this year :)

What the heck is housework?

Edited by my3luvbugs990105

Well, over the homeschooling years, I:

1) Ran a daycare.

2) Worked as the Site Director for the YMCA after/before school program.

3) Ran tournament poker for a large free league in Houston

4) Cleaned a commercial building

5) Homeschooled and tutored other children

6) Full time graduate student

I'm currently teaching my youngest and a private student Language Arts as a private/home educator. My kids are now at public school (oldest) and private school (younger 2). I teach at that school. In addition, I am still a full time student, work as a library assistant at my graduate school and have a practicum I work 2 half days a week.

Our schedule is insane. I'd like to think it will get better after I graduate in December, but I don't think it will. It will just get different.

I work part time, 2nd shift, at a local hospital in the medical records department. I work Th, F and Sat and dd goes to her dad's house during that time. I'm barely balancing. School work is going fine; but housework isn't. I find I'm overwhelmed and unorganized and tired. It was pointed out to me recently that I have no social life, and if I want to have one, I have to take a vacation day since I work weekends. So, I've put in to have my schedule changed, but since there are positions open they're trying to fill, my request is on hold for now. Medical records, believe it or not, is a 24 hour/365 days a year field, so no one is getting anything changed until we have some breathing room with shift coverage.

I like the job, but overall, I wish I didn't have to have it!

I work part time, 2nd shift, at a local hospital in the medical records department. I work Th, F and Sat and dd goes to her dad's house during that time. I'm barely balancing. School work is going fine; but housework isn't. I find I'm overwhelmed and unorganized and tired. It was pointed out to me recently that I have no social life, and if I want to have one, I have to take a vacation day since I work weekends. So, I've put in to have my schedule changed, but since there are positions open they're trying to fill, my request is on hold for now. Medical records, believe it or not, is a 24 hour/365 days a year field, so no one is getting anything changed until we have some breathing room with shift coverage.

I like the job, but overall, I wish I didn't have to have it!

Im in the same boat. I work ER admitting........

Do working students count ???

I am studying part-time towards an MA in Education (emphasis TESOL) and I am tutoring ESL students for a few hours per week.

I am lucky that I live, work, and study on a campus so I don't have to commute anywhere, just walk 5-10 minutes!

I will finish with my course work in March and ideally, I want to be done with my MA thesis by that time too, which means double from June onwards. I have been offered a part-time job as an ESL teacher beginning in June... It is very tempting but I know I cannot write thesis, do course work, homeschool and work at the same time....

Oh, well, hopefully I will graduate in March and then I can concentrate on my career without getting rid of homeschooling.

Nice to meet you!

Esther

I'm intimidated & awed by those of you who have highly professional jobs in addition to homeschooling.

I make gourmet desserts for a local restaurant. I'm probably only working about 10 hours a week at that job, and I occasionally catch some work helping a caterer, and filling special orders for desserts. Maybe 15-18 hours per week? It's probably the only job situation in town that would work with my schedule and my talents. My hours are flexible, and I get a high level of positive strokes for a job well eaten. :D

I am a perfectionist, and I find it difficult to perform my occupational tasks with lots of interruptions. Sometimes I work late into the night to avoid that, and sometimes during the day I put on my mp3 player and ignore all interruptions. I really enjoy the times when I can listen to an audiobook and work at the same time, but I feel a bit guilty about ignoring the kids when I do. I feel awful when I realize they've been talking to me, but I've been focused on work and listening to a book, and didn't hear a word they said. They will be coming to Texasmama to talk about their mom's neglect someday {sigh}. Hopefully they realize I'm doing the best I can, and that those times when I'm there but not *there* are necessary both in terms of "me time", and just the practical aspects of hustling to make a buck.

I have my own homeopathy business but I keep it very low key. These days for cases I can tell will take a lot of time I refer them to other practitioners. For ones that are particularly interesting I take them on. I also have ongoing clients from my pre-homeschooling days. I often meet with people or talk over the phone Fridays when another homeschool mom watches my kids. I can do the rest of the work (analysis and remedy selection, paperwork, etc) at night after the kids are asleep. Acute urgent situations can throw a wrench into my day, though. It's my passion and I love it so I can end up spending too much time if I'm not careful. I'm apt to keep reading even after I've found what I'm looking for!

It's so cool to read through this thread and see how many others out there can actually relate to my life. I love our local hs community but I often feel discouraged when I see all the things the other families accomplish in their homeschools - and plus, their houses are clean! Their gardens are weeded! They actually cook real dinners and not just grilled cheese sandwiches half the time! I don't regret my choice to work (and my income is what makes it possible for us to homeschool the way we want to), but it is a lonely choice sometimes.

I work from home as a local coordinator for a large au pair agency. I am the support person for all the au pairs and host families in my region. I help families find their au pairs; I interview and do the reference checks on new host families; I do orientation with new au pairs, check in with them regularly, and take all my au pairs on a field trip once a month. I am the shoulder on which au pairs cry when they're homesick, and am the person whom families consult when they are having difficulties with their au pair. It's a really wonderful job and I enjoy all the personal interaction and the coaching and problem solving I get to do on a daily basis. The hardest thing about this job is the unpredictability of it. The number of hours I work depends entirely upon how many new au pairs I have arriving in a given month and how many families/au pairs are having issues that need resolving. My base hours are 25/week, but some weeks I work 40 (or more), others I really only work about 15. I'm essentially on call 24/7 so I never know when I might need to step away from whatever else I'm doing to deal with an au pair crisis of some sort.

My rough schedule is to get up around 7:00 and spend an hour or so doing paperwork and emails before starting school with the kids. I may have to answer the phone throughout the morning, so we plan lessons with that in mind and work school around it. I do another hour or so of emailing/phone calls while the kids eat lunch. I have a meeting nearly every weeknight after dinner with either a host family or au pair, then I come home and do paperwork/emailing until about midnight. I take Saturdays off (barring any emergencies) and then usually spend Sundays meeting with families and au pairs.

The hardest thing is really finding time to plan school activities. I definitely never get any "me" time but I do carve out an hour or so every week to plan the following week's lessons. Unfortunately, often when we do have something special planned, an emergency will come up and I'll end up being on the phone for 2 hours instead. The kids are fairly tolerant but they do sometimes get upset and tell me they hate my job. I always remind them that my job is a team effort, and without it they wouldn't get to participate in baseball, soccer, choir, swimming, dance, and all the other extras that they really love. That reminder usually gets them back on my side! Plus I know they understand that I like my job and it makes me a happier mom to be around. They also love hanging out with my au pairs and learning about other cultures.

It's so cool to read through this thread and see how many others out there can actually relate to my life. .

Me too! It's even tougher for me to admit sometimes that I work because I want to not because I have to, that I actually LOVE what I do, and that I wouldn't change it if I could, without other moms looking down on me.

I love this thread! Most of the other homeschooling moms I know are full-time moms, and I always feel a little weird because I work. I'm a writer, so I work from home unless I'm traveling on assignment, but there are definitely deadline-heavy weeks where homeschooling ends up being things like "Let's get you a big stack of books about asteroids and some posterboard, and we'll have a science fair next week." It's not always an easy balance, but I like having a career and I like homeschooling my children.

I teach two music classes at the University Prep program, both on Saturdays, which gives DH some time with DD without me there. I also write/edit music curriculum.

We do school in the morning, so DD gets her focused time. After lunch, I go to work, and she's basically on her own-she reads, practices piano (in the same room with me), plays by herself, and does scratch programming. In the evenings, she has her dance classes (and if I'm coming up on a deadline, my laptop goes with me and I work at the studio), we have dinner, and we have family time once DH comes home, including readalouds, and she goes to bed.

So far, it's worked fairly well, but I admit that I'm looking forward to this summer-DD will be going to camp for several weeks, so we won't be doing school those weeks, and she'll be getting her dance classes in during camp. The thing that suffers most is the house. I keep dishes washed, the kitchen clean, and laundry done, but the rest of the house has definitely suffered with a combination of working part-time and homeschooling.

I am a working homeschooling mom. My dh and I have a very busy HVAC business...and I work approximately 30-50 hours week depending on the season.

We have a schedule up on the wall and our kids know I am at work in the morning from 7-9. Then again from 12 -1...then again from 3-5.....I also work on weekends or at night after they are in bed. They go into their rooms at 8....we do our reading and kisses...lights out at 9. I sometime will work from 9-1 or 2.. during busy seasons.....

My older kids help in our business and help with chores and younger kids. My office is connected to my kitchen and my living room, so I am available to them at all times. I don't answer the phone during school hours, but use our answering machine.

I allowed myself to crash and burn last year...badly due to ignored illness and over working...but, I think I am on the road to recovery.

I am off to read the rest of these posts. It is nice to know I am not alone.

Faithe

Me too! It's even tougher for me to admit sometimes that I work because I want to not because I have to, that I actually LOVE what I do, and that I wouldn't change it if I could, without other moms looking down on me.

There is an element of this in my professional activities, as well. I initially returned to work part-time as a therapist due to financial reasons. I didn't want to work. In time, I realized that I enjoyed the foray back into my field, the ability to help others and the time spent with adults/not engaged in the care of my kids/family/home. Then, again due to financial reasons, I returned to the adjunct teaching job. I didn't want to do this, either. lol

At one point, though I was busier than a one armed man in a paper hanging contest, I had a realization that I was enjoying it. :001_smile: I am an extrovert who had been engaged primarily in the care of young children while at home all day for seven years. Getting out was wonderful.:D At one point in the past year, when I tried to imagine not doing any one of the different roles in my life, I couldn't. It would be a loss - and not just a financial one.

Teaching gives me the opportunity to touch young (and not so young) lives. I am able to pass on knowledge and experience to people who are just starting out in my chosen field. Because of the nature of my field (clinicial social work/therapy), students often share their personal and professional questions, struggles, etc. with me. I love being an encouragement/support to them. It is an intangible benefit. The university continues to offer me courses which are difficult to turn down because they are interesting to me and a good match for my experience/knowledge base. The department is smart that way.;) Last semester I also took on the supervision of a graduate student during her practicum at my therapy job. That is a role I have taken on in the past but not for many years. She is finished with her hours and has moved on, but I am glad I did it.

My father has had some health problems and two hospitalizations this spring, which pushed me to make a decision to cut back on my therapy hours...but when it came down to the decision to quit, I couldn't do it...and not because it is making me rich. That particular job is not particularly lucrative. Again, intangibles keep me there.

Although this past semester stretched me beyond what is comfortable (or practical to do long-term), I did love all of my roles. I feel very fortunate to have the options which I do. I get overwhelmed at times and hope I am doing each role justice, but in the end, I believe that I am. I need to do a better job of taking care of my own needs, but the house has survived, the kids are happy, the husband is good, etc. It works.:001_smile:

So many different situations have been described in this thread, and I know that some of the working homeschoolers might choose not to work if given the choice...but I hope that everyone can draw some encouragement from the many other working homeschoolers out there. I guarantee you all that I will be thinking of you as I go about my day.

It's even tougher for me to admit sometimes that I work because I want to not because I have to, that I actually LOVE what I do, and that I wouldn't change it if I could, without other moms looking down on me.

I think that's GREAT - and a great role model for your kids. All too often, kids grow up seeing work as something parents HAVE to do which is drudgery, a dreaded chore.

I like for my children to have people in their lives who enjoy what they do. We are fortunate to have quite a few such role models for them aside from family.

I hope my children find a profession which they can truly enjoy -to me, that is a very important goal for their education: to get them to the point where they have such choices. Seeing their parents love work IMO goes a long way towards instilling a positive attitude about work.

Btw, I was miserable and depressed when I was a SAHM. I recovered, had more energy and a more positive outlook on life when I went back to work - I am a better mom to my children when I am working. Some women are happy to stay home and that is what works best for their families- I just am not one of them.

Edited by regentrude

I work 7:30-4 X 5, and moonlight a couple of shifts a month. As school became more demanding, we moved very close to my work, so my commute is about 7 minutes. I keep dreaming about when the old house gets sold, and hubby won't be trying to fix up and maintain it and our current house as well.

I work full time M - F, 8:30 - 4:30 in Economic Development.

I had to return to the work force after 10 years as a sahm because my dh lost his job due to the economic downturn.

I find it very hard to do everything . . . run the household, homeschool teens and work full time but am thankful for the pay cheque.

I have a dog treat business. Right now it is mostly local. It started with friends and branched out from there. I am hoping this year to redesign my website and grow the business. In order for me to balance homeschooling and baking I bake orders early in the morning or after dinner. Housework is the bottom of the list and often is not done at all. I consider it a victory to keep my sink free of dishes and pots and pans.

I think about freelancing for what I used to do. I was a production manager for a toy retailer. I produced all the newspaper inserts and catalogs. However, at the time I quit my job was going the way of the dinosaur. It was being absorbed into other positions.

It is SO refreshing to see how many other homeschoolers also work. Sometimes I get green-eyed-monster-syndrome (GEMS!) when I see those who can stay home and focus solely on education.

That said, I don't absolutely HAVE to work, and I have the world's EASIEST job. I do the books/magazines/candy at our local Home Depots and only work 8-10 hours a week.

Even with few hours, we still have more juggling to do than before. For example, we do very little school on T/TH, and our schedule was already wonky on Fridays. Sometimes I worry we aren't spending nearly enough time at the desk, but I look at how much my kidlets have accomplished and quit worrying.

I teach three courses at a local university and oversee a group of teaching assistants. This past semester my courses have been from 11:30am-7:00pm Mondays and Wednesdays and 3:00-4:00 on Friday afternoons. I have to be available at other times for tutoring and meetings, but I usually have some flexibility in scheduling those times.

My husband is also a university professor with his classes mainly on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We trade off homeschooling our son, but my husband's research requriements are a bit heavier than mine, so I do more than half of the homeschooling. At times our son will go to work with one or the other of us, and he is old enough to stay home by himself which helps.

This is our first year homeschooling and I think that it has increased my effectiveness in the college classroom. I have had to think much more about the educational process and what learning is really about.

I have papers to grade, research papers to write, exams to create, and committee reports to prepare while I am at home. Sometimes these are done while my son is working; other times, these are done at 2:00am. The thing I find the most difficult is never being home ALONE. I have always done a good deal of work at home and like the ability to have some time to spread out where I would like, turn on the news if I would like, etc.

Yes, there is the frustration of not finding time for myself. But, in many ways this is no worse than when he was in school. Now, I don't have to worry about coming home from work and having to help with some project a teacher assigned today that is due tomorrow that my son can NOT do by himself (such as interview your parent about such-and-such topic, play a math game with your parent, read and discuss this article with your parent). I get to decide what needs to be done when. So, if it is final exams week my son gets lots of independent work, etc. I really noticed the difference in December which has traditionally been a nightmare as my husband and I both administered finals, attended graduations, etc. My kids would have the classroom party, the music program, gifts for the teacher, etc. It was so nice to not have all of these school activities on the calendar. We actually felt like we had more time because we were homeschooling our child rather than less.

I am a speech-to-text transcriber for university students, which means I transcribe classes in real time for hearing impaired students, so they can participate as fully as possible in the class. What is being spoken in the classroom is appearing on a laptop screen in front of them as it happens, and they can ask questions, make comments, etc. just like any of the other students. I love my job!!! It's challenging, diverse and satisfying.

Background: I've been working for two years, now, after being a stay at home, homeschooling mom for 16-1/2 years; we have seven children between the ages of 3 and 17. My work is part time at varying levels, and we are able to continue homeschooling (I would quit the job before giving up homeschooling).

Until two weeks ago, I have only been employed by the local state university that's 5-7 minutes from our house. With them, I have worked anywhere from 4-14 hours a week each quarter (I get a set schedule for the quarter at the beginning of that quarter). It pays decently ($20/hour, although it works out to be less with travel and set up time), so even with just a few hours, I make a nice chunk of change to add to our budget.

Two weeks ago, I also started doing some remote work, having been hired by a firm in another part of the country as an independent contractor. In this realm, I connect with the student via the Skype phone call feature (the software I use links thorough Skype, and the professor wears a mic that gives me a clear hearing of the lecture). I love this even more! Well, I would say each has its pros/cons because I do like working face-to-face with a "real" student. And it's nice to be able to see what's happening in the classroom (i.e., what's appearing on the screen, which students are asking questions, what someone means when they say, "I was looking at this" [holding something up], what the professor is writing on the board, etc.). But as someone for whom what's happening in the home comes first, the HUGE pros with remote work are of course being able to be at home while I work -- this saves about an hour of time for each class I do. Yay!! And I can sit on my bed in my comfy clothes and slippers. And it pays a little bit more ($25/hour). Over time I can see this replacing what I do on campus.

NOTE: When I'm working remote, I'm HOME, but not available. The kids cannot access me unless there's a fire or something like that; I can't help with squabbles, advice, information. So the time savings is great, but it doesn't help with my availability.

NOW on to commenting about the journey this has been. We weren't actively looking for something for me to do. But I've been interested in deaf culture and deaf issues for more than half my life, and we were interested in some extra income that we could use specifically for things like music lessons and field trips. So when this came up, and it seemed to be a good, well-paying fit for our family situation, I signed on for the training and began accepting assignments. Two months after I started working, my husband was laid off his job. While he has also kept working (now as a self-employed handyman), my income has only closed the "gap" that was created when he was laid off, not given us extra income. I'm so thankful we've had this -- while at the same time, don't enjoy that we've become somewhat dependent on it.

It's stressful for our kids, too. The oldest three have a ton of responsibility, and have to deal with not only a lot of the cooking and cleaning, but also discipline issues with the middles and youngers. I get what needs to happen while I'm working organized (some things are scheduled, some things are figure-it-out-that-day), and then leave it to them to get it done. It doesn't always get done. And I don't necessarily care too much, as long as we all keep moving forward with good attitudes.

While I love what I do, there is a regret and a sadness that I'm not 100% full time with all the kids anymore like I used to be for so many years (both on my part, and on theirs -- the olders who can compare). I really sometimes wish I could come all the way home again -- and yet don't know that I ever will. There's a weird dynamic living with that knowledge/understanding; the only phrase I can think of is there's a "bright sadness." As an Orthodox Christian I trust that what has been given us is what God has allowed, and so we just press on with trust and contentment.

I didn't know I was going to write so much! Forgive me. In some weird way I still think of myself as a "stay at home" mom -- because my heart is at home, even if I do have to work sometimes. Does anyone else feel that way?

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

In some weird way I still think of myself as a "stay at home" mom -- because my heart is at home, even if I do have to work sometimes. Does anyone else feel that way?

Yes, I still primarily identify as a stay at home, homeschooling mom because that is my main "job". My heart, like yours, is at home, though I enjoy the opportunity to "miss my kids" during my work hours.

All of my prep work for teaching is done at home, and I am able to either work it around when the kids are in bed or do it while they are in and out of the room. As an adjunct, I don't have to have office hours, just be available on a "by appointment" and email basis. I grade papers, write tests, and prepare lectures sitting on the couch in the living room working on my laptop. Interruptions don't bother me - I'm a good multi-tasker.:001_smile:

The number of out of home work hours per week varies from week to week and semester to semester, but this semester it was about 12-14 per week, including travel time. This summer, with my decreased therapy hours and teaching a course which meets once a week, it will vary from 5-11 hours a week.

My dh owns/runs a company and offices out of the house so the kids are either with him or with my dad while I work. My dad lives between my house and both of my job locations so it works well to drop the kids off on the way. I am the only one who does school, though. The men in my life aren't quite able to multi-task the way I do where that is concerned. lol

One of my therapy clients was recently asking for more frequent sessions, and I told him that I only work one day a week doing therapy. He mentioned that my teaching job was getting in the way of my availability for therapy. I told him that it isn't the teaching gig - it's the kid gig...and that is just fine.:001_smile:

I'm enjoying this discussion, and I appreciate all who are contributing.

I work 40hrs a week. Different hours every day in the evenings, weekends, and holidays. It also changes every 6 months. It allows me to homeschool during the day while my dh is at work. He works from home mostly, but is in and out during the day.

There are days like today where I wish I didn't have to work esp holidays and every weekend (no option for getting it off). It is really hard and stressful, but I don't think I could imagine it any other way.

If I won the lottery I would still work (not at my current job though). I would just hire a cook and a housekeeper! :tongue_smilie:

In some weird way I still think of myself as a "stay at home" mom -- because my heart is at home, even if I do have to work sometimes. Does anyone else feel that way?

This is me too. I still see myself as a SAHM even though I work more full time now than part time. I also go stir crazy staying at home ALL the time, so personally NEED a part time job unless we're traveling, but it's not how I identify myself internally most of the time.

My field is physics. In order to do actual research, a break of several years is almost impossible (I don't know a single person who successfully did this). After my PhD and two years of postdoctoral work, I stayed home with my children for a total of four years (even working for a few months in between) - after that, it would have been extremely hard to catch up. Plus, there are no part time research jobs. Had I wanted the same academic career as my DH, aiming for a tenure track position at a four year university, I would need to work 50-60 hours a week. Doable only if you have a nanny or grandma - or a spouse who works part time.

Teaching is the only thing where part time positions exist, it's a great way to combine family and work. It works for our family, and I enjoy it. But I am conscious that I have made the decision to not fully utilize my potential. It is a career without any prospects in terms of promotion, and switching back to research when the kids are grown will not be possible.

In most fields of academia this is certainly true. I am fortunate to have a non-tenure-track research position at a medical school, where I am able to work a part-time schedule. (I'm at 80% time.) I'm just starting my second federal research grant while working part-time. I'm on soft money, so basically I can work as much time as I can fund with grants and other projects.

That said, I know that I won't achieve the kind of research career that full-time-plus people do. I've put myself on the Mommy Track and feel fine about that, but it's hard to find a place where other people are okay with you being on the Mommy Track!

Wow! I am so glad to have seen this thread! This is my first post, but so happy to have found this forum. Right now my girls are in ps, but it has been a dream of mine to homeschool. I just left public education after 11 years...I had a couple job offers...I took the one that paid the least (a 25K difference!) with the hopes of homeschooling. We HAVE to have both of our incomes...

It looks like homeschooling will happen in the fall!!!

So...I work FT at home (8:30-5:50) for a training company. I am on the computer all day working. But after a few weeks I talked with DH about it and I think I might be able to make school work.

Right now I am overwhelmed with finding a curriculum. Being a teacher, I have an idea of what I want to do, and I had NO idea how much homeschool stuff was out there! My girls are excited but I don't think it has sunk in that they will not be going back to school. They will miss their friends. :(

Thanks for this thread!:lurk5:

I am so pleased to have found this thread and have been reading it all weekend.

I went back to do my psychiatry residency after homeschooling full time for 7 years. It has been tough but my husband and I have been able to make it work with a lot of help from a friend who homeschools. I also have a nanny mostly for my 5 year old. My older two are very independent and we do school in the evenings and weekends I am free. They all complete assignments during the day. We text back and forth during the day to keep them in check. My husband works full time too but he is more available as he has three non- clinical days and he is able to take the older ones with him sometime.

We make it work but I can't wait to be done and start working part time.

Wow, I can't believe there's so many of us working.

I work as a nurse, 1 12 hr shifts a week with a one hour commute. I've been doing Friday and Sat, but am switching to Wed, Thurs. With the weekend schedule I'm home Mon-Thurs for hs'ing, but miss my family on the weekend. I leave at 5:45am and don't get home until 9pm. So they're asleep when I leave and out when I get home (they're teenagers). The kids and husband keep the house clean while I'm gone. I have one teen driver, so she runs the younger one to work and does errands. My house cleaning hasn't suffered much as I wasn't too particular before. My time with my husband has, but that should change when I start weekdays.

I'm physically exhausted after working 2 days in a row and it takes me a day to recover, but I enjoy the people I work with and being out of the house amongst adults. I also enjoy the money!