Menu

Why do you home educate?

1. Academics. My oldest needed more than the school was willing/capable of giving.

2. Family time. WHen my 5yr old (middle son) went to K, he needed 12-14hrs of sleep each day b/c K just exhausted him. SO for an entire year, he only saw his dad on the weekends and that was always filled w/ soccer.

3. After teaching my kids before they entered school, and then continuing with afterschooling, I knew I enjoyed teaching my kids and being the one to see the lightbulb moments.

1. Academic excellence

2. Tailoring the academic experience for our child.

3. The public and private schools in our geographical area do not match

our (Dh and myself) academic standards.

4. Social

The geographical area is permiated with a combination of "affluenza vs inner city" mentality.

5. Values

It is the responsibility of Dh and I to teach Dd our values/religious beliefs.

What we believe, why we believe what we do and how it makes a difference in our lives.

6. Because my grandmother was home educated, so I know it works.

:)

:iagree:

Also, my husband was homeschooled for several years and he remembers them as the best school years, both academically and socially, in his life.

Because DD's Kindergarten teacher told us to!

Actually, I'd been looking at it as an option for several years. Having been a public school teacher, when my daughter taught herself to read before she turned 2, I realized pretty quickly that my school district, with no GT programming before 3rd grade, and almost none after that until AP classes in high school, wouldn't be a great fit.

Because of DH's fears on socialization, we put DD into a private school for preschool, and they placed her in K after seeing her in action for a few days. She loved K, but her teacher was literally run ragged trying to keep up with her, bringing materials in from 2nd grade frequently. In January, we had a conference where the teacher told me, frankly, that the 1st grade teachers wouldn't/couldn't accommodate DD and that she felt that DD would be unable to socially handle a grade skip to 2nd or 3rd (which was the principal's answer)-and that she believed that 2nd or 3rd probably wouldn't be an adequate challenge long-term either-that DD would still grasp the concepts faster than others and end up bored. She suggested that, since I was a teacher myself, I should consider "keeping her home and just letting her enjoy learning" for a few years.

So, we started this year-and at this point, I doubt we'll go back until and unless DD really wants it and has needs that can be met better there-if she wants to dance seriously, for example, there is a performing arts high school that might be an option that we'd consider.

I will be (next year) because

- DD's skills are very scattered so she's not being challenged at school

- DD has no help for social skills

- DD is frequently confused by the complexity of directions relating to a skill she's mastered

- DS needs to go back and master things, PS wants to advance him to 2nd

- DS holds it together and controls himself but loses it at home

- DS needs sensory breaks

- DS got in trouble for making noises at lunch!

There's a lot more, but these are the most recent.

Academics. My older son was struggling but since he wasn't technically "failing" (reading scores were 1 point away from that) the school couldn't care less that he wasn't understanding what was being taught. But he sure could memorize everything that was taught/read and regurgitate it when necessary. But he couldn't answer a "why" question to save his life, only repeat verbatim what he had been read.

My younger son is in PS kindergarten and bored to death. He has regressed in the reading and math I'd already taught him, so he'll be home next year.

We have a clear vision for what it is we want to teach our kids. If they were gone most of the day, we wouldn't have time to cram it all in.

We have a clear academic plan for our kids.

I wrote my Master's thesis on Why Parent's Homeschool. My lit review was on the history of education in America. The pedagogy of the government system did NOT fit with our vision for our kids. Pedagogy is important to me:001_smile: (plus I just really like the word).

I interveiwed homeschooling families for my Thesis and fell in LOVE with the kids. They were amazing, articulate, brave, well read, innovative, creative, smart, funny and in love with life. They looked adults in the eyes, were not sullen. THAT fit with our vision for our kids.

And, like urpedon, for the denim jumpers.

Edited by laughing lioness

I am in it mainly for the denim jumpers.

And Keds!

Because I didn't want to get a "real" job.

Because I'm lazy and hate waking up early.

Because I'm a snob and want to prove my superiority.

Just to be difficult. (Well, there may be some truth to that one:blushing:)

I've been accused of all of those things.

Our decision to homeschool was a reactionary one. We moved from a great school district to a school district in which football is king. The elementary library aslo doubled as the music room (the school was overcrowded, even though the town only has 3500 people), the elem cafeteria doubled as the gym, but the high school has a relatively new, state-of-the-art football stadium. Academics were not stressed at all. My kids were bored. I could see my incredibly bright but super energetic boy being slapped with some sort of nasty label. It was broke, so I fixed it.;)

We continue to homeschool for so many reasons. I want my kids to have a solid education. I see so much potential in them. I want them to live up to their potential, not have it stifled. I want them to grow into the people God intended them to be, not some socially-regulated, carbon-copy of something some random "cool" kid deemed acceptable. Teaching my kids is just the way I parent. It's just natural to me. I love the flexibility. I love taking them to plays, museums, the zoo, parks, etc. I love being able to travel whenever we want. I love being home with them (most days). Those are the biggest reasons.

1. Because public school is a huge waste of precious time. Why would I send my sweet babies off to Kindergarten for 8 hours to learn how to stand in line?

2. Because I can teach them so much more effectively; no busywork, only meaningfull learning, and in such a short amount of time.

3. We can spend more time learning about the gospel of Jesus Christ and more time being together as a family.

I am a control freak.

I like to sleep late.

It makes my extended family nuts.

I like having little people to fold my laundry (my least favorite chore!).

And, of course, because it gives me the ability to fly my freak flag higher!

:D

My more serious, and most important, reason is because my dh and I feel that it is what God wants for our family.

LOL! Love it!

I agree with the poster who said sending them off just never felt right, and still doesn't (although some days it's tempting). So I guess the #1 reason is "I went with my gut."

I also believe it's extremely important to protect our impressionable children from things like bullying, sexual harassment, violence, extremely foul talk, drugs, etc, etc, and all of those things are extremely common in schools (public and private)

I believe I can give them a better education since they're getting way more one-on-one attention than they would in the classroom.

I believe it's important to preserve the family unity and not put friends and extra curricular activities above family.

Those are the main reasons.

I started home schooling for a lot of reasons, but now I do it because I love it. I love learning beside them, I love seeing their accomplishments and watch them think for themselves (well, most times). Although it is hard at times, I could not imagine not homeschooling and I am thankful that I have the opportunity!

Because I love daily self-inflicted torture. :biggrinjester:

Seriously, I continue homeschooling despite how difficult it can be because I know that this IS the best learning environment for them. The one-to-five teaching ration here doesn't allow for much to fall too far behind.

I am a control freak.

I like to sleep late.

It makes my extended family nuts.

I like having little people to fold my laundry (my least favorite chore!).

And, of course, because it gives me the ability to fly my freak flag higher!

:D

My more serious, and most important, reason is because my dh and I feel that it is what God wants for our family.

I love this. Thank you.

I wanted to homeschool after I read WTM, but I chickened out and sent my dd to kindergarten. That didn't work out so well for a lot of reasons. The kindergarten had 35 kids in it and many didn't speak English. When you have a class with that basic issue the kid reading at a second or third grade level isn't going to get much attention. We worked for three months to get the school to accommodate his needs--all of their attempts were ridiculous.

Once I realized that things weren't going to get better I pulled him out.

And here we are!

My oldest 3 attend public school, well, the oldest is in college... My little on is 7 and will be 8; so far it's a no brainer for us. He's smart, does better than average with little sit down time, and is crazy active. He loves to listen to SOTW on cd, and knows how to multiply and starting to divide... he knows subtraction and addition, and yet we only spend some time going over real situations in the store and such.... and sometimes math books. (living or Singapore) He thinks a mom who teaches him hebrew and latin, and a dad who reads about Greek and Roman gods... and all sorts of other classical subjects .... well.. he thinks it's normal. He's precocious... and precious... and I want to keep him that way as long as possible. AND, I hope to facilitate a classical type of education for him as he progresses through the years... and learn the information.. WITH him. I don't want to let others teach him... and me be left behind :) Learning with him is a joy... :)

:)

Academics/Special Needs. My special needs younger son was not getting the IEP he needed, and it was either home school or sue the district, and we felt that putting our resources into our son would be more productive for him. We continue to educate our district about our son's disability in hopes of opening their eyes to the next child like him who comes along though. My older son's needs were also not being met-- he was too bored silly by the school's curriculum and they were inflexible about changing anything to challenge him; yet he was not mature enough socially to be promoted into the next grade. Now that we homeschool, everyone's happy-- except the school, which lost two very nice sets of test scores for NCLB :D.

Many reasons. Probably the most important one is that I don't believe that a school would be both willing and able to give my children the individual attention they need.

I'm not viewing my children as 'special snowflakes'. I would love for every child to be taught by someone who knows and loves them, and has the time to give them individual attention.

I'm also not bashing teachers. I know, and have known, teachers who care deeply and work very hard. But I honestly don't think that school in its current form has the potential to educate children well.

We feel led by God to homeschool our children.

I don't want our kids socialized by the school system.

Having an hour or more of homework every night, plus projects and the stress of regular rigorous testing (which my friends' kids were all facing by grade 1-3) would not sit well at all- when do we get family time and time for kids to just be kids??

We can go at our own pace, advanced in some subjects, slow down and smell the roses in others!

Being able to use tailored materials for each child is superior imo. We can do a classical/literature approach to LA, rigorous in math, slow and in-depth for history, hands on for science, etc- they just couldn't get that in regular school.

I LOVE seeing them learn, I love spending time with them.

My oldest ds is wiggly and has trouble concentrating, but he is fairly advanced. He can take regular breaks to run around the farm and expel some energy before hitting the books again!

My dd is so sweet and innocent, she dresses up and flits around like a fairy princess, loves to paint and craft and sing all day- and I like to let her, a little instruction goes a long way at that age I think (grade 1).

My youngest has severe anaphylactic allergies and I simply could never trust his safety to the school system.

Academics, mostly. With time we got to see additional benefits, but originally, it was all about academics and anti-intellectual culture in schools which are in our view below every academic standard acceptable. We never planned to homeschool this long, though, since there are places where we find schools acceptable, but meanwhile those other reasons prevailed for continuing homeschooling.

We also like the flexibility of lifestyle it allows (regarding travel, etc.).