Menu

Is Glee inappropriate for a ten year old?

I am not strict about what I let my kids watch, but Glee is a stupid show.

I thought I was the only one that thought this. I gave it a chance, but when they started singing, I just had to shut it off. :lol: I knew there was music in the show, but I didn't know it was a musical.

I can handle singing in older movies and TV shows (love it in I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show), but for some reason when I see it in modern shows it just seems....odd. When DH and I started watching the movie Chicago and they started singing, we just looked at each other and laughed.

I thought I was the only one that thought this. I gave it a chance, but when they started singing, I just had to shut it off. :lol: I knew there was music in the show, but I didn't know it was a musical.

I can handle singing in older movies and TV shows (love it in I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show), but for some reason when I see it in modern shows it just seems....odd. When DH and I started watching the movie Chicago and they started singing, we just looked at each other and laughed.

I like musicals. My family watched a lot of old musicals when my siblings and I were little.

I enjoyed Chicago, Down With Love and dd LOVES Mama Mia

I like musicals. My family watched a lot of old musicals when my siblings and I were little.

I enjoyed Chicago, Down With Love and dd LOVES Mama Mia

Ditto. I'm raising a pair of theatre geeks (at least one of whom fully intends to pursue musical theatre as a career). Musicals are our lives here.

As I type, my son is playing an interesting mix of stuff from two highly inappropriate musicals, Rent and Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.

My husband and I saw Chicago on Broadway several years ago, and I was prepared to hate the film. But I thought they did a great job with it, very different from the stage version, but good.

I have a hunch that the folks who think Glee is "dumb" are probably, in general, not theatre fans.

I noticed several comments saying the show is "stupid" or "dumb" and thought I had to chime in. I do think this show appeals to a certain kind of audience, and most of the folks I know (of all ages) who love it tend to be either performers or unapologetic nerds. (I'm in the latter category. My kids are in the former.)

This is us as well, which is why my kids are chomping at the bit to watch it, but they only get the song/performance scenes if I remember. I admit they did watch the episode following the SuperBowl, but in the bigger picture, it was pretty mild. (And even my oldest still has most of the stuff fly over his head, though they still won't be watching it for a long time.)

I just recently discovered Glee on Netflix and I'm only a few episodes into the first season. No, it's not appropriate for a 10 year old. Not even close.

Honestly, I remember a few months ago when there was some hoopla about the main characters doing a 'sexy' magazine cover, and then shortly after that there was apparently a 'sexy' Britney Spears cover on the show that people were upset over. Why??? Have these people been watching since season 1? The episode I watched last night had one of the football players telling another boy, "I did your Mom. No, really. I cleaned your pool, then I did your Mom on your bed. Nice Star Wars sheets!" This is the same episode in which one boy comes out to his father. Someone else already referred to it in this thread as being a tamer episode.

I like the show, a lot actually, but the sexual themes are far too rampant for a 10yo, IMO.

Her friend next door, however, is a "Gleek", she says .. which seems to be the word for a die hard Glee fan. :001_cool:

Or the name of the show choir group to which my son belongs.

Honestly, we probably wouldn't have let our kids watch the show when they were 10, but by 12 we considered it fine. As I've mentioned on other threads recently, we don't get too worried about sexual content within certain bounds.

There are lots of other shows I don't let our son watch due to sexual content, but they tend to be things like Two and a Half Men, which bothers me because EVERY joke is about the sexual exploits of one character. It's one note, all the time. And I tend to dislike "smut," or shows that play sex just for comedy.

Glee, for me, is different. The sexual content in usually in context of a story. And, for the most part, it's not the center of the story line. I also think there are some good messages. For example, Quinn cheats on her boyfriend and lies to him and gets pregnant. She has a tough time when the chickens come home to roost, but chooses to carry the baby and give it up for adoption. She has lots of hard choices to make as a result of her bad judgement, but she makes them.

Kurt is one of our favorite characters, and I absolutely love his relationship with his father. Everyone should have a dad as supportive and caring as Burt.

And the "heavy drinking" episode people have mentioned? I did think they lost their way a bit with that one, but as I recall they all got sick on stage because they had been drinking too much. Hardly a glamourous moment.

Recently, I loved the episode in which Brittney turned down Santana because she wants to be true to Artie. (Didn't someone say they had never seen any character on the show be faithful?)

I don't love every episode. And the plotlines inspire a lot of discussion, but we've found it a good thing.

So, no, not for a 10 year old, but 14, 15, 16, 17? Certainly.

Recently, I loved the episode in which Brittney turned down Santana because she wants to be true to Artie. (Didn't someone say they had never seen any character on the show be faithful?)

an earlier part in that episode has a different point of view... that was where Brittney was not faithful to Artie b/c she was getting her girl thang on with Santana? and Santana told her "it's not cheating because the equipment is different?" it was after that that Britney decided to not have them both.

Artie on the other hand seems to stay faithful to her :)

I can't believe I'm talking about this show. :lol:

original songs was fun. and what theatre nerd didn't like Rocky horror glee?

-crystal

an earlier part in that episode has a different point of view... that was where Brittney was not faithful to Artie b/c she was getting her girl thang on with Santana? and Santana told her "it's not cheating because the equipment is different?" it was after that that Britney decided to not have them both.

Yep. She's a work in progress, like most of us, I think. I don't get the impression that Brit had ever thought about her relationship with Santana up to that point. When she did stop to consider, she made a choice to be faithful.

The episode I watched last night had one of the football players telling another boy, "I did your Mom. No, really. I cleaned your pool, then I did your Mom on your bed. Nice Star Wars sheets!" This is the same episode in which one boy comes out to his father. Someone else already referred to it in this thread as being a tamer episode.

I like the show, a lot actually, but the sexual themes are far too rampant for a 10yo, IMO.

FWIW dh and I don't care if there are gay characters on programs. If I didn't want dd to know about the gay she couldn't ever meet several people on my FB. She did watch some Ugly Betty. There was some that got skipped but much of it was ok.

Though...the bits about the pool don't really sound like something I want dd exposed to. :lol:

Edited by Sis

FWIW dh and I don't care if there are gay characters on programs. If I didn't want dd to know about the gay she couldn't ever meet several people on my FB. She did watch some Ugly Betty. There was some that got skipped but much of it was ok.

Though...the bits about the pool don't really sound like something I want dd exposed to. :lol:

Oh, I agree. I mentioned the gay boy coming out because someone else had mentioned it specifically, and said that particular episode was tender and not that bad...but in the same episode, the other thing I mentioned occurred.

Ditto. I'm raising a pair of theatre geeks (at least one of whom fully intends to pursue musical theatre as a career). Musicals are our lives here.

As I type, my son is playing an interesting mix of stuff from two highly inappropriate musicals, Rent and Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.

My husband and I saw Chicago on Broadway several years ago, and I was prepared to hate the film. But I thought they did a great job with it, very different from the stage version, but good.

I have a hunch that the folks who think Glee is "dumb" are probably, in general, not theatre fans.

Not here. I was in theatre and band all through school. The clothing, sexual innuendo, language and lack of modesty is just nasty on Glee.

I like it except the 2nd half of the 2nd season has the feel of jumping the shark.

-crystal

Yes, this is exactly the phrase my DH keeps using to describe Glee this season. I will admit that as a former showchoir member I've really enjoyed this show, but it's just gotten too out of hand for me. I dislike that the adults in the show are often behaving irresponsibly and one PP mentioned Quinn and the whole teen pregnancy scenario as a teaching moment. But the thing is, she didn't learn from it. She's right back at it this season with her superficial goals and manipulation. The teen drinking episode was incredibly disappointing. It really didn't make a strong stand. DH and I are working our way through the second to last season of Friday Night Lights right now, and in my opinion this show handles some very serious subject matter in a much more responsible way for a teenage audience. Glee, while immensely entertaining and great for infusing a little pop culture into this way out of touch mama, is not something I ever want my kids at any age to watch. Which is why I've decided to not be a hypocrite and give it up myself....

I agree its way not appropriate for a ten year old, but I have frequently thought that the way some very difficult life things are handled, like Kurt's dad handling Kurt coming out, were very nicely done. The example of kids NOT all having sex....the confused gay kid, well, can't think of lots of examples now, but its too weird to make good lessons, to younger than, say, a pretty mature 15-16 year old. I do love the songs and the singing, and dancing, though.

I think.

Edited by LBS

I think Glee is dumb and we are fully invested theater folk (performing and viewing). I don't know why it does not appeal to me...it just doesn't.

Not here. I was in theatre and band all through school. The clothing, sexual innuendo, language and lack of modesty is just nasty on Glee.

Well, I did say "in general."

I find this whole thing fascinating, because I just honestly don't get it.

Again, though, I tend to be much more concerned about violence than sexuality in terms of what my kids watch. And we censor for quality more than content. So, from our point of view, Glee is a (usually) well written show with a reasonable and discussion-provoking amount of sexual content that also happens to have fun music and performance elements that appeal to our theatre-nerd kids.

Every family is, of course, different.

• 11 months later...

inappropriate, for sure.

I can't even handle it anymore. I was feeling more bleh about it the end of last season, but went ahead and watched the first episode of this season and was like that's it, I'm done.

ETA: I really liked the music. I thought some of it was really fun. The whole show choir thing - that's where I came from in high school. So, to me, it was great at first. It really just seemed like the farther they went, the more sickening the actual plot lines and stuff became. I couldn't keep watching a show that I kind of enjoyed but that had so much in it that I couldn't stomach.

Edited by PeacefulChaos

Glee is on netflix, would it be ok for a ten year old?

We don't let her watch Adult Swim, Tosh.0 or shows that used to be cool for kids but suddenly the franchise has tons of sex (Stargate :glare:)

Is it ok? I haven't seen it before and we would like something we can watch together.

No. Too many sexual references.

Jenny in Florida: I find this whole thing fascinating, because I just honestly don't get it.

Again, though, I tend to be much more concerned about violence than sexuality in terms of what my kids watch.

That's interesting. I am more concerned about the incessant graphic sexual references in every show than "violence" any day. Graphic hdieous violence, rape, etc, yes. I edit. Someone being shot in a war movie, or on an old western, who then falls over, no. That has always happened and is often an integral part of the story line.

Glee, on the other hand, is more about promoting acceptance for all sexual possibilities than anything else - other than the singing, which is good, of course. If they would just stick to that, instead of all the bed-hopping storylines, it might be ok.

And we censor for quality more than content. So, from our point of view, Glee is a (usually) well written show with a reasonable and discussion-provoking amount of sexual content that also happens to have fun music and performance elements that appeal to our theatre-nerd kids.

Well, that's one interpretation. I think it is way over the top.

I suspect you've only seen season 1. When the worst we had to worry about was teen pregnancy and marital infidelity and coming out...

Lord...did it get worse? Can't imagine that.

My shows were "The Partridge Family" and "Brady Bunch", "The Monkees"...stuff like that What the heck ever happened to storylines like THAT?

Why does it all have to be bedhopping today - for teens, no less - and the more "pushing the envelope", the better? Why?

I love the show & DVR it.

My 2 year old loves music and loves to dance so if it's a show with songs that I feel are ok for her to listed to I do save the show and we will fast fwd to the songs and let her dance to the songs and then fast fwd to the next song. Now some episodes I don't do that to because of the song content.

it's inappropriate for me :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

ETA- I only watched season 1, and while I really enjoyed the music, I just couldn't handle all the sex. I'm glad I quit watching now that I see all the comments saying that the next seasons are even worse.

Edited by Coffeetime

Yeah, no way would I let a ten year old watch it. I don't even let my 15 year old watch it.

It isn't that once in awhile I wouldn't mind watching with the older one but I don't think a steady diet of that kind of input is a good thing.

My mil says "why not, it's just like real life, there's nothing wrong with it".

I tell her that just because there is water in the sewer doesn't mean we have to go swimming in it.

I wish Glee were better, the music is fantastic. But content-wise, there is little of redeeming quality for me.

So Stargate on Netflix is bad for kids?:svengo:DS son has been watching. Should I be concerned?

Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis were and are fantastic tv. We own every season and have watched them over and over again.

Television just doesn't get much better than this.

tealc_newanime024.gif

SGU doesn't even deserve the name. It was downright awful from the first 5 minutes, lousy acting, unsympathetic characters and a boring story. I was very unhappy about it.

There seems to be some necroposting.

I decided NOT to let my child watch Glee. She is 11 now, this thread is a year old, she is much too old for me to fast forward through the plot. I still haven't let her watch it.

She loves Stargate, the earlier Stargates are fine but Stargate Universe is inappropriate. (lots of Teamaking)

Edited by Sis