Menu

Rule no.1 for beekeeping

Rule No. 1. If a bee goes down your gumboot while you are working in the hive. DO NOT RUN the bees will follow you.

Rule no.2. DO NOT think that 50 meters is far enough to take your boot off. There is only one bee in your boot stinging, there is a gazillion angry bees buzzing around.

Rule no.3 DON"T start squishing bees that are all over your foot ( because boot is off), squished bees reliease a pharomone that makes all bees chasing you very mad.

I wish I had obeyed these rules. ds 17 asked me why did I take off my gumboot when the bees were chasing me. I told him it is some primitive instinct that kicks in automatically and overrides all reason.:glare:

Did you know that if you get enough bee stings in your foot, you actually don't feel any pain. It is just completely numb, and I am surprised how much a foot can swell.

OUCH! Many, many years ago my cousin got a hot coal from a barbeque down his gumboot - which made it really difficult to get the gumboot off. He has a nasty scar. But at least a hot coal can't get its friends to chase you. How many stings did you end up with? Panaderm is pretty good for numbing stings - you might want to stock up on a few tubes if it's your whole foot...

can you duct tape the top of the boot to your pants next time so they can't crawl down?

I watched my bee keeping, 70 year old, dad sprint across the hayfield simultaneously shedding his pants one afternoon. Those buggers followed him all the way to the house and didn't return quickly to their hive.

And he wonders why I won't join him .....:lol:

Rule No. 1. If a bee goes down your gumboot while you are working in the hive. DO NOT RUN the bees will follow you.

Rule no.2. DO NOT think that 50 meters is far enough to take your boot off. There is only one bee in your boot stinging, there is a gazillion angry bees buzzing around.

Rule no.3 DON"T start squishing bees that are all over your foot ( because boot is off), squished bees reliease a pharomone that makes all bees chasing you very mad.

I wish I had obeyed these rules. ds 17 asked me why did I take off my gumboot when the bees were chasing me. I told him it is some primitive instinct that kicks in automatically and overrides all reason.:glare:

Did you know that if you get enough bee stings in your foot, you actually don't feel any pain. It is just completely numb, and I am surprised how much a foot can swell.

When I first read this, I thought you were listing rules for *this* hive. :) It seemed an appropriate analogy.

Sorry about your foot, though.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, gasp, gasp!

(I have NO logic around bees! Now WHY was I thinking of beekeeping again??? Oh, yeah... I thought it would give me an opportunity to conquer my fear! :lol::lol::lol:)

:lol: Funny, but that is one of the things my DH loves about bees, putting his hands into the hive and overcoming his fear to run. Though I have seen him running full speed past the house, undressing as he runs. It was worth seeing, and I wish I had caught it on video.

What type of bees do you have? My dh has been keeping only 2 yrs, but he has never been stung. We have a Italian bees and they are bred to be very docile.

Don't know what type, not Italian though, they are black and yellow. We have looked in there many times without problems. The hive is actually in the veggie garden, and we can go in and pick veggies right up to the hive without any problem, as long as we don't actually stand right in their flight path. They were just very toey that day. we have smaller hives that we have made from this hive with ItalianX queens. We will have to wait until the hive size is big before seeing if they are calmer.

I think rule #1 of beekeeping is actually, "Don't be allergic to bees."

I am. So, no beekeeping for me, but I find the subject endlessly fascinating and often wish I could be a beekeeper or work with one.

I used to have bees - they didn't survive a particularly hard winter - and have been thinking about getting them again. I only used the helmet and veil, but have seriously considered buying the whole protective suit before I get back into it.

We are thinking about getting the helmet and veil. At the moment I am using a mosquito hat thingy, and my DH is using a curtain wrapped around his upper body. He has bee gloves, I use welding gloves. I don't actually put my hands in the hive. I am more like the assistant. Think of a surgeon and a nurse. He says pass the smoker or pass the frame ,and I hopefully have read his mind just before he says it and have it all ready to hand over or receive in the right order.:D

I feel for you and admire how brave you are to work around bees. I have to say to this day I freak out on bees. I freeze when one starts buzzing around me.

When I was 6 or 7 I was at my Aunt's apple grove and I stepped on an apple that was next to a very active bee hive. Don't know if I killed a bee that set off the smell. I just remember screaming and running. I remember being in lots of pain for a day or two. Luckily I am not allergic to bees-just terrified of them. One got in the house last summer and my poor husband thought I turned into a nut case.

I love honey! Maybe my therapy could be to actually have a bee hive-maybe it would cure me of my fear.:D