Menu

Cheap backyard fun...ideas?

We have a nice, big backyard but it is completely empty. We only have a couple of balls. We have a small sandbox that will get filled later in the spring when it gets warm enough and doesn't rain too much. But that's it. We don't really have any money to spare but I'm sure I could find a little bit...just not enough for the really cool toys like trampolines and swing sets.

Any other ideas? My kids are 11, 9, 4, and 20 months. The four year old is out there right now enviously watching our neighbor's kids (6 year old twins, I think) jump on their trampoline, but we don't know them well enough to invite ourselves over. I did hand fresh homemade doughnut holes over the fence to help relations.

My kids are so waiting for summer; they are hoping they will be able to finally find friends here.

Croquet

Badminton

A fun water sprinkler

water play in general (buckets, bubbles, pvc piping, wisk, food coloring)

big boxes (craigslist/freecycle)

jump rope, double dutch and regular

We have a big yard, and the most fun they have is playing in the grass. We've grown it out super long, so now they can play in it.

1. I realize the sand in the box with lid will be cleaner, but our sandbox doesn't get used anymore because it is too small. The kids still love playing in the sand at the park. Is there a way you could have a medium/large sandy/(dirt/rock) corner that would allow for all four children to build and play?

2. I loved making forts out of turned over lawn chairs, old sheets, clothespins.

3. Start a small garden for the kids to work in.

I've been pondering cheap/free ideas for a while, and once we get our large side yard fenced, it will greatly increase their very small back yard play space!

Here's what I've collected so far:

Tree stumps of different heights, used as uneven-height stepping stones, or seats

Old (non-working) rowboat, cemented into the ground

Balance beam

Stepping stones decorated by kids

Chalkboard wall

Repurpose an old double sink for water table play

Thinly sliced tree disks for stacking and stepping

A small stage w/curtain

When it gets warmer... a Slip n' Slide! My kids spent hours sliding away. We also would use it as part of an "obstacle course". I bought a fairly inexpensive pack at Walmart one year that had all kinds of obstacle course type cones, bean bags for tossing, etc.

They would sleep very well after running and playing on the "obstacle course".

Mini-golf might be fun! You can get the putters, regular golf ones, really cheap at thrift shops or yard sales, and there are usually bags of golf balls as well. Then design a course with as many holes as you like with the help of the kids. To keep the hole clean, you can insert a white pvc pipe with an end cap for the bottom. Make sure there are some holes in the bottom to allow water to drain - you can also put some gravel below the cup in order to help drainage. Then have fun coming up with all kinds of angles and hills and obstacles to navigate. Some companies throw out old pallets - these could be dismantled to make the sides. Any indoor/outdoor carpeting could be used for the surface.

For less work and expense, you could just place the holes and put a small flag next to them - so someone doesn't fall in - and use the grass for the putting. I think it's called chip golf or something like that. : )

My kids LOVE to play with our water table. Even my almost 7 year old loves it....and I can see her loving it for years to come. That's the main thing they want to do when they go outside.

I also have a bin out there with several bug cages, nets, balls, and shovels.

We have a small, metal swing set that gets played with quite a bit. We also have a sandbox that really doesn't get used too much.

I honestly thought about putting some bags of gardening soil in the back corner and letting the kids to go town with shovels, buckets, etc.

Get a bunch of heavy duty trash bags, cut them so they open up long and duct tape them together end-to-end. Secure to ground with tent stakes(?) or something. Spray with water and a touch of baby shampoo (helps make it slippery and won't sting little eyes). Slip-N-Slide. Add a cheep sprinkler at one end for extra thrills.

PVC pipes with curved attach thingys. large old blanket. No end of fun.

Sunflower tent - plant seeds for giant sunflowers in a square (oh, about a yard wide/long or so). Leave a small area for a door. When they grow, the plants will support each other and come together like a tent. Lots of potential here with so much sunny yard space?

Big rocks/boulders. Not sure where you would get them cheap, but our kids always seem to search out rocky areas to play around in.

Scrap wood and nails and rope. If you keep your eyes open, you can find quite a bit of free scrap wood. Or even use fallen branches from the park or ask neighbors for branches from their tree-trimming. My kids love tinkering around with wood and nails and rope.

Do you have any trees at all? My 12yodd made a swing out of a piece of sturdy rope and an old skateboard. Could also use a wide piece of wood.

sprinkler

Get some old sheets and clotheslines and clothespins and let them build forts.

Let them dig a mud hole and then play in it.

Let them do their own garden area.

We keep our dress up toys in the garage and the boys play with those outside all the time.

Keep a box of matchbox style cars that they can make towns with outside. My kids can forage up a bunch of things to make roads, houses and stuff with.

I will say that I believe our trampoline might be our best investment (g'parent investment it was a joint Christmas gift) in years. We are on our second one (gave the first away when we moved) and it is one of the most played on/with toys we have. It gets played on whether it is sunny, rainy, hot (with sprinkler) or in the snow. Have you checked to see if there is a craigslist local to you? You might find one cheap there.

Up until this year (when we acquired some old play equipment) we used just whatever she found or created. I got her a $6 sprinkler from walmart, which they had out today in fact. She has a nice play area, but what does she want? Yup, the $6 sprinkler. We have a big piece of plastic sheeting we use for a homemade slip n slide. If the price at the toy store doesn't suit you, go to Home Depot and see what you can find. Dh used scrap wood and made her a frame one year to lay blankets over. She pretended she was celebrating the Jewish Feast of Booths or some such thing. Don't ask. All I know is it's not uncommon for 3-5 blankets and sheets to be outside on a given day. You can get old ones at the thrift store. Try the thrift store for toys too. I've gotten BEAUTIFUL ones for my ds there.

Dollar General usually has the long foam noodles that you play with, and they're $1 each. We have this huge plastic tub he found from someone, so we fill it and swim and splash in it. The noodles would be fun even with just a sprinkler. And of course water balloons and squirt guns are inexpensive and fun. Pretty soon all that stuff will be in stock at Walmart, if it isn't already.

Get a bunch of heavy duty trash bags, cut them so they open up long and duct tape them together end-to-end. Secure to ground with tent stakes(?) or something. Spray with water and a touch of baby shampoo (helps make it slippery and won't sting little eyes). Slip-N-Slide. Add a cheep sprinkler at one end for extra thrills.

PVC pipes with curved attach thingys. large old blanket. No end of fun.

Sunflower tent - plant seeds for giant sunflowers in a square (oh, about a yard wide/long or so). Leave a small area for a door. When they grow, the plants will support each other and come together like a tent. Lots of potential here with so much sunny yard space?

Big rocks/boulders. Not sure where you would get them cheap, but our kids always seem to search out rocky areas to play around in.

Scrap wood and nails and rope. If you keep your eyes open, you can find quite a bit of free scrap wood. Or even use fallen branches from the park or ask neighbors for branches from their tree-trimming. My kids love tinkering around with wood and nails and rope.

Do you have any trees at all? My 12yodd made a swing out of a piece of sturdy rope and an old skateboard. Could also use a wide piece of wood.

I'm going to try the sunflower tent! Thank you for the idea. :001_smile:

Mini-golf might be fun! You can get the putters' date=' regular golf ones, really cheap at thrift shops or yard sales, and there are usually bags of golf balls as well. Then design a course with as many holes as you like with the help of the kids. To keep the hole clean, you can insert a white pvc pipe with an end cap for the bottom. Make sure there are some holes in the bottom to allow water to drain - you can also put some gravel below the cup in order to help drainage. Then have fun coming up with all kinds of angles and hills and obstacles to navigate. Some companies throw out old pallets - these could be dismantled to make the sides. Any indoor/outdoor carpeting could be used for the surface.

For less work and expense, you could just place the holes and put a small flag next to them - so someone doesn't fall in - and use the grass for the putting. I think it's called chip golf or something like that. : )[/quote']

My grandparents built a wonderful mini golf course for all the grandkids when we were young. The building of it could be fun in itself. I remember scouring garage sales for putters and balls, and old birdhouses, yard gnomes, etc. to decorate it with.

A garden is a good idea, too.

My mother-in-law is the co-founder of a landscape architecture firm that specializes in school-yard design. She uses mostly natural materials to create lush learning and playing environments. You can see great examples of her work at http://learningbytheyard.com/index.html under Access Our Work.

We've been inspired by her work, and we've let half of our backyard grow wild and then mowed paths throughout. We've also planted native trees like pagoda dogwoods that readily reproduce, giving us lots of child-sized spaces for playing under. We have a "playhouse," which is 4 pallets nailed together and topped by a huge golf umbrella I found in the trash, an old tree that fell down, and a wood pile. We also have a bin with balls, squirt guns, buckets, and old yogurt cups. That's it! My daughter plays out there for hours because it's rich with new experiences every day. She even sets up forts to nap in during the summer. I love it out there, too - reading, eating, and just laying around. Sometimes, less IS more! :)

I will say that I believe our trampoline might be our best investment (g'parent investment it was a joint Christmas gift) in years. We are on our second one (gave the first away when we moved) and it is one of the most played on/with toys we have. It gets played on whether it is sunny, rainy, hot (with sprinkler) or in the snow. Have you checked to see if there is a craigslist local to you? You might find one cheap there.

I really want to get my kids a trampoline because I KNOW they would love it. I am just so worried about them getting hurt. You hear all of these stories about how dangerous they are. Any advice on getting me past that fear?

While y'all keep mentioning long grass, all I'm thinking of is TICKS. Of course we get them even with short grass. But with long, I can't imagine. They're really bad around here at certain times of year. :(

About the milk crates and planks. This sounds like such a fun idea!!! Paint comes in really big buckets, so you might be able to get a paint store to give you some of their old buckets for free. It would be worth a try. Or maybe the painter would have them? Just a thought.

I really want to get my kids a trampoline because I KNOW they would love it. I am just so worried about them getting hurt. You hear all of these stories about how dangerous they are. Any advice on getting me past that fear?

I suppose the danger of the trampoline depends on the kid. Don't a lot of them come with nets now?

My grandparents built a wonderful mini golf course for all the grandkids when we were young. The building of it could be fun in itself. I remember scouring garage sales for putters and balls, and old birdhouses, yard gnomes, etc. to decorate it with.

A garden is a good idea, too.

Sounds like great memories! :)

Bocci ball also comes to mind. New sets cost about $30 or so, but you can find them at garage sales too. Croquet is also fun.

We have an acre but no expensive play equipment. My kids like

tire swing (literally an old tire my dad had and rope)

bubbles

chalk

soccer ball

they make tents over the clothes line with sheets

water, in any form, water guns, balls, sponges and buckets to fill

sand and dishes to play in it with

kite

jump rope

they spend alot of time playing tag and just running

I'm such a wet blanket...I don't allow trampoline play, and I wouldn't buy one. Here's what the AAP says:

"Parents should never purchase a home trampoline or allow children to use home trampolines," from http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/summertips.cfm .

Another article from a pediatrician even advises against bounce houses. I may need to reconsider that as an activity as well...

http://www.momsteam.com/team-of-experts/gwenn-schurgin-okeeffe-md-faap/sports-safety/trampolines-are-dangerous-even-with-net

I'm not a nervous mother; I'm pretty free-range and allow lots of adventurous play and healthy risk-taking, but trampolines are just too dangerous IMHO.

While y'all keep mentioning long grass, all I'm thinking of is TICKS. Of course we get them even with short grass. But with long, I can't imagine. They're really bad around here at certain times of year. :(

Throw a few chickens in the yard, and you'll never see another tick. :D

My kids love our clothes line, not only is it fun to run in and out of the sheets when they are drying, but it becomes a tent, a theater, a place to play our version of volleyball, and at night, you can do shadow theater with a light shining on the sheet and actors to create shadows, and a storyteller. We also have a little fire pit lined with bricks so we can roast marshmallows. Doesn't take up much space and my husband can mow around it.

I love the idea of a frame to throw blankets over, I may repurpose a project htat didn't get finished for just that reason. I second the suggestions for hoola hoops. They can become all kinds of things, targets, islands, obstacle course, games.

I also saw an idea in Family Fun magazine I think I am going to try. They laid out sticks to form a tic tac toe grid and then found rocks and painted Xs and Os on them.

There are lots of great ideas I am going to glean from this thread!

Throw a few chickens in the yard, and you'll never see another tick. :D

Oh man I wish my family wasn't vegan sometimes! I'd love to have chickens. I think I even have the room.

Of course I haven't eaten an actual egg (only in baked goods) for 20 some years.

The thought of tics freaked me out, hubbys outside weed whacking right now. :D

I'm such a wet blanket...I don't allow trampoline play, and I wouldn't buy one. Here's what the AAP says:

"Parents should never purchase a home trampoline or allow children to use home trampolines," from http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/summertips.cfm .

Another article from a pediatrician even advises against bounce houses. I may need to reconsider that as an activity as well...

http://www.momsteam.com/team-of-experts/gwenn-schurgin-okeeffe-md-faap/sports-safety/trampolines-are-dangerous-even-with-net

I'm not a nervous mother; I'm pretty free-range and allow lots of adventurous play and healthy risk-taking, but trampolines are just too dangerous IMHO.

My neice has scoliosis and her chiro and therapist both agreed that frequent trampoline use was a contributor.

Helena...Vegans with chickens? Don't eat them or the eggs, then. But they are worth their feed. You can feed them your scraps, reducing waste. You can use the manure in your garden. My mom never could stand to kill hers (though she used to use the eggs) and so they only died of old age or stray dog packs. You could sell the eggs, make a buck. To sell outside family or off premeises usually requires a license, though, so be aware of that. Check out the book, Chicken Tractor.

Lakota

On my bookshelf I have a book (falling apart from flood damage, but kept, wistfully), probably out of print? but I think I saw copies at Amazon.

It is called The Build-it Book of Learning Playthings by Ruth Wolverton.

It has a bunch of ideas that are Montessori inspired. I wish I could do all of them! I am not crafty. But some are easy!

Give it a whirl, maybe the older kids can do some projects this summer-even invite the neighbor kids!

Lakota

We have a small sandbox. The kids love it and I love it b/c I can keep it covered. (When I was a kid my brother and I got pinworm several summers in a row from playing in an uncovered sandbox that neighborhood cats must have used. :glare:)

We have a small (2 ft diameter?) springless trampoline that we picked up in the exercise section of Walmart or Target or somewhere. It's meant to be used for jogging on or something, but the kids LOVE it. The rule is one kid at a time, but it's so small that that's all it'll take anyway and we hardly ever have problems with kids trying dangerous stuff on it. It was rather cheap. I'm thinking $20? That might make a good backyard toy. (You could easily bring it in and out to avoid wear due to the weather.)