Menu

For those who decided Telling God's Story was NOT for them:

mlbuchina

What specifically was it that made you decide not to use it?

I guess you could classify me as an evangelical (conservative Christian, gah labels are so loaded!), yet after reading the parents guide and looking through the lessons and activities, I didn't see anything that that would make me not use it (based only on doctrine). I plan on using year one, and when two comes out, I will evaluate it's merrits again. (I do that for all curriculum every year to determine if we will continue using it or not.)

Please, no bashing, just specific reasons why it wouldn't work for your family. Thank you.

I'm catholic, so a non-catholic bible study would necessarily leave things out I think are essential to proper catholic interpretation of the scriptures. If I did not already have a program I was satisfied with, I would have considered using this program with catholic supplements the same way I use SOTW. I appreciate the chance to glance through the program; I think that shows an incredible openness and generosity.

Edited by Michele B
grammar

My kids are past the point of the current level of the curriculum. Like you I read it and I didn't see anything that would conflict with my beliefs (which I considered pretty evangelical like until recently).

If I had a child in the age range I'd buy it. It would take too much tweaking for me for mine at this point.

I plan on showing it to my Pastor - she loves curriculum.

I'm LDS, and teetering on the edge of whether or not to use it. I really like the way he approaches the Bible. My only concern comes from something I read in the Parent's guide about the Fall. It didn't line up with my beliefs. (We tend to see Eve's actions as a necessary precursor to her bearing children and obeying God's first commandment.) This probably wouldn't be an issue for Protestants/Evangelicals.

Honestly, this wouldn't be an issue for me AT ALL in the first book. I'd just like to know where he is going in later books, so that I can decide for myself whether I want to get emotionally invested in the series. :001_smile:

I suspect Peter Enns is more liberal than I, but I saw nothing objectionable when I skimmed the Year One book. My youngest is 9, and I decided Book One does not have as much depth as she's ready for. I ordered Kay Arthur's Bible studies for kids on Jesus in the book of John instead. I like the idea of doing a study of the life of Jesus at her age.

I'm catholic, so a non-catholic bible study would necessarily leave things out I think are essential to proper catholic interpretation of the scriptures. If I did not already have a program I was satisfied with, I would have considered using this program with catholic supplements the same way I use SOTW. I appreciate the chance to glance through the program; I think that shows an incredible openness and generosity.

:iagree:I've read through a fair bit of it and think it is a really excellent curriculum. I may well use it as part of our Bible study. However, as a Catholic I prefer to use Catholic texts for our religious sutdies.

I'm sorry I can't help you. I wasn't actually planning on doing a Bible curriculum with my kids until I read the samples and fell in love with the way that Telling God's Story is laid out. I just love the idea of starting with Jesus. And the first lesson about how joyful God is when he finds a sinner...I just love the way it's presented. I also love the activities. So, I'm sorry I couldn't give you a reason why I didn't like it...but here's a bump to the top of the page for you. I'm sure there's someone here who didn't like it given all the controversy. ;)

I'm sorry I can't help you. I wasn't actually planning on doing a Bible curriculum with my kids until I read the samples and fell in love with the way that Telling God's Story is laid out. I just love the idea of starting with Jesus. And the first lesson about how joyful God is when he finds a sinner...I just love the way it's presented. I also love the activities. So, I'm sorry I couldn't give you a reason why I didn't like it...but here's a bump to the top of the page for you. I'm sure there's someone here who didn't like it given all the controversy. ;)

:iagree:We are starting it at Easter. I was planning on delegating Bible out to AWANA, but after previewing it, the activities and lessons were too good to pass up!

Prior to the convention throw down I had not heard about it. As a YEC I don't think it would line up with our beliefs so I would not choose it as part of our curriculum. I have only read a few tidbits and it just isn't for us. It's nothing personal against the author/publishers.

Prior to the convention throw down I had not heard about it. As a YEC I don't think it would line up with our beliefs so I would not choose it as part of our curriculum. I have only read a few tidbits and it just isn't for us. It's nothing personal against the author/publishers.

Yes, I also think the Earth is younger than many say. However, I'm not sure how that applies to what I have read of the curriculum.

Thank you for sharing your decision with me. Could you give an example of the tidbit that didn't line up? I may be over thinking things, but I want to make sure I am picking the best curriculum for Bible study (since I'm not able to just use the Bible.)

I just disagree with how he sees the Bible. No biggie, just something I would not want to teach my dc.

this. I purchased the books and was so excited to use them because I really like how and what they teach. However, the more I investigated Dr. Enn's beliefs, the more concerned I became about using them. I don't agree w/ his stance on creation, Adam, and some other things he mentioned in the parent book (though there was a small handful of things I did like). I'm also not thrilled about his tone. The whole thing- the controversy, the discussions w/ dh about whether or not to use it, scrutinizing every bit of what Dr. Enns says- has just left kind of a bad taste in my mouth and I figured it was best to just be done with it. But... I keep second guessing myself because I know the curriculum itself has nothing objectionable in it (at this stage anyway, lvl1). I'm just done with the whole thing, which will either lead me to sell it, or to put it out of my mind and just use it. I just don't know yet.

Edited by jentancalann

@lionfamily1999 I love the quote in your siggy!

Wee Pip rocked it :D

this. I purchased the books and was so excited to use them because I really like how and what they teach. However, the more I investigated Dr. Enn's beliefs, the more concerned I became about using them. I don't agree w/ his stance on creation, Adam, and some other things he mentioned in the parent book (though there was a small handful of things I did like). I'm also not thrilled about his tone. The whole thing- the controversy, the discussions w/ dh about whether or not to use it, scrutinizing every bit of what Dr. Enns says- has just left kind of a bad taste in my mouth and I figured it was best to just be done with it. But... I keep second guessing myself because I know the curriculum itself has nothing objectionable in it. I'm just done with the whole thing, which will either lead me to sell it, or to put it out of my mind and just use it. I just don't know yet.

I was ready to run over and buy them post haste after SWB endorsed them. Then I started reading the samples and I just don't agree with his view of the Bible. I will admit that reading the bits and pieces of his book and SWB's review turned me further off. It's too bad you bought it already. You could probably sell it on here pretty easy though ;)

I don't think any less of SWB. I was just amazed to find I did not agree with every one of her recs... :lol:

Wee Pip rocked it :D

I was ready to run over and buy them post haste after SWB endorsed them. Then I started reading the samples and I just don't agree with his view of the Bible. I will admit that reading the bits and pieces of his book and SWB's review turned me further off. It's too bad you bought it already. You could probably sell it on here pretty easy though ;)

I don't think any less of SWB. I was just amazed to find I did not agree with every one of her recs... :lol:

I put it up for sale a week or so ago and it got buried right away. I'm thinking just the opposite, that this isn't the place to sell it since people want to support PHP. I can put it up at our state used book sale next month.

I put it up for sale a week or so ago and it got buried right away. I'm thinking just the opposite, that this isn't the place to sell it since people want to support PHP. I can put it up at our state used book sale next month.

I'm really surprised by that. You're probably right, though, people want to support SWB through PHP.

We're Reformed and I want a more covenantal focus in our curriculum. We're using CAP's "Bible for Children" and I'm very pleased with that so far. So it's kind of a "if it's not broke" line of thinking, but also just wanting something in our particular Protestant tradition.

I'm LDS, and teetering on the edge of whether or not to use it. I really like the way he approaches the Bible. My only concern comes from something I read in the Parent's guide about the Fall. It didn't line up with my beliefs. (We tend to see Eve's actions as a necessary precursor to her bearing children and obeying God's first commandment.) This probably wouldn't be an issue for Protestants/Evangelicals.

Honestly, this wouldn't be an issue for me AT ALL in the first book. I'd just like to know where he is going in later books, so that I can decide for myself whether I want to get emotionally invested in the series. :001_smile:

This is where I'm at. I didn't see much at all in the first book that I would have to edit out or modify, although I would still have to suppliment it.

If I hadn't already found something to use for our religious studies next year I'd have probably purchased it already.

this. I purchased the books and was so excited to use them because I really like how and what they teach. However, the more I investigated Dr. Enn's beliefs, the more concerned I became about using them. I don't agree w/ his stance on creation, Adam,

Ditto to this. I bought into all the excitement on this forum and purchased it at convention without even looking into his beliefs or association with BioLogos and what it believes. I just thought that if so many people were gung ho on something, it must be worth having (a lesson learned for a newbie about doing your own research). While I do get the feeling that this level is innocuous, at some point the author's beliefs and bias are going to creep in, and we just don't know when. It might be very subtle. I was pretty shocked to find out about his video where he discusses Adam as not being literal but more a representation of Israel. I just came to the realization that my beliefs were different than his, and for that reason decided to return the study.

Edited by jer2911mom

We're Reformed and I want a more covenantal focus in our curriculum. We're using CAP's "Bible for Children" and I'm very pleased with that so far. So it's kind of a "if it's not broke" line of thinking, but also just wanting something in our particular Protestant tradition.

:iagree::iagree:Only we're using "Covenantal Catechism" and I ****love**** it :)

I was excited when I first heard about the curriculum. But, after all of the recent happenings I decided to look further into Mr. Enns and his beliefs and teachings. I thus concluded that the resource wouldn't be a good fit for our family. We believe that God has preserved His Word just as the Bible says He has done, that the Bible is 100% historically accurate, without error and most definately not in need of a new way of interpreting or "looking at". We believe Adam was the first man. The Bible's account of Adam is not confusing to us, it's clear and easy to understand. I feel strongly about it, therefore, it really doesn't matter to me if his doctrine isn't revealed in this particular curriculum. Our time with our kids is too short to spend on anything that isn't going to build them up in their confidence in the inspiration and infallibility of God's Word. Anyways, I have always believed we should just stick with the Bible for our "Bible curriculum" and the recent flap has just confirmed that for me.

Edited by Donna T.

I was excited when I first heard about the curriculum. But, after all of the recent happenings I decided to look further into Mr. Enns and his beliefs and teachings. I thus concluded that the resource wouldn't be a good fit for our family. We believe that God has preserved His Word just as the Bible says He has done, that the Bible is 100% historically accurate, without error and most definately not in need of a new way of interpreting or "looking at". We believe Adam was the first man. The Bible's account of Adam is not confusing to us, it's clear and easy to understand. I feel strongly about it, therefore, it really doesn't matter to me if his doctrine isn't revealed in this particular curriculum. Our time with our kids is too short to spend on anything that isn't going to build them up in their confidence in the inspiration and infallibility of God's Word. Anyways, I have always believed we should just stick with the Bible for our "Bible curriculum" and the recent flap has just confirmed that for me.

This is where I fall as well. I will teach my children about old earth beliefs, but will avoid things put forth by BioLogos. In explaining OEC to my children, I like the way Reasons To Believe frames their point of view.

In reading over the teacher manual and looking at the child's worktext, I could see where it would be really good for a more formal church. (I could picture Simka getting excited about it!) My girl cousin is a newly ordained minister in the Methodist church and her mother does Montessori style children's church, with vestments and such like. I can picture this curriculum being right up their alleys.

For us, our relationship with Christ is so much more personal and current. The historical part of Christianity and the formal worship of Orthodox or Roman Catholic churches seem foreign. Also, the curriculum seemed too language-heavy for my young boys. They HATE coloring, so the coloring pages would be out. They don't like listening to long explanatory passages much either.

Besides, I do our own Bible curriculum based on our very specific convictions and around our own local missionary publisher's website and magazines.

this. I purchased the books and was so excited to use them because I really like how and what they teach. However, the more I investigated Dr. Enn's beliefs, the more concerned I became about using them. I don't agree w/ his stance on creation, Adam, and some other things he mentioned in the parent book (though there was a small handful of things I did like). I'm also not thrilled about his tone. The whole thing- the controversy, the discussions w/ dh about whether or not to use it, scrutinizing every bit of what Dr. Enns says- has just left kind of a bad taste in my mouth and I figured it was best to just be done with it. But... I keep second guessing myself because I know the curriculum itself has nothing objectionable in it (at this stage anyway, lvl1). I'm just done with the whole thing, which will either lead me to sell it, or to put it out of my mind and just use it. I just don't know yet.

Yes, this is how I am feeling, which led me to ask the question. Lots of second guessing going on, but I do think I will use level 1. Will be using it prayerfully.

I didn't even look at it. We have recently gotten the Bible Study for All Ages and LOVE it. I feel like I cover spiritual development pretty well with my kiddos (the personal relationship with God). I just wanted them to have a more thorough Bible knowledge and I feel like BSFAA is going to do that VERY nicely. I like that it has "worksheets" for each child at their own level that matches up with the Bible story for the lesson. Good stuff!

I read it and I WANT to use it. But God has clearly spoken to my heart that we need to go straight to the Word and learn directly from the scriptures. My son requested that we just read through the NT, so I will teach him inductive study methods as we go and if it takes a few years, I don't care.

There is a part of me that wants to buy the study just because I want to support SWB, but that is not the reason I do anything in my hs.

I pray about every curriculum decision, everything we cover, every decision we make and trust the Lord to guide me by the peace I have in my heart. I clearly KNOW when I am on the wrong track, so for me at this point I'll just pray earnestly for SWB and her OBP endeavor (I think it's important, and great!) and go to the Word for now.

Something tells me that she would support my decision on this matter. :001_smile:

:iagree: on all points.

Guest RecumbentHeart
While I do get the feeling that this level is innocuous, at some point the author's beliefs and bias are going to creep in,

I agree with this and would add that personally, I don't have any reason to even look at a Bible curriculum that is authored by someone with seriously conflicting beliefs about things I do firmly believe are important and have far reaching implications; whether those things are expressed explicitly in this particular curriculum or not.

I agree with this and would add that personally, I don't have any reason to even look at a Bible curriculum that is authored by someone with seriously conflicting beliefs about things I do firmly believe are important and have far reaching implications; whether those things are expressed explicitly in this particular curriculum or not.

:iagree: I mean, this is a Bible class. His personal views of the Bible are pretty important and would impact the class.

Preach it, sister! :)

FWIW, I don't know if I agree/disagree with Peter Enns' views; he seems to be hard to pin down in some areas. So, until I better understand his "big picture", I'm not sure I want to buy into a piece of the pie. I did read over the samples (and was very thankful that it was posted so I could do so :)), and did not see anything glaring, but I still feel that I need to do more research into Enns himself (and not just this whole KH blow-up) so that I can make a better informed decision.

I don't expect to agree totally with anyone's personal theology; I can disagree with myself somtimes... but I do want to know someone's perspective before I use their material to teach.

read a bit about him and his affiliations, and looked over the samples of the parent guide. We are strongly against any figurative reading of the scriptures unless it is expressly written that way (ie. a parable). His views on Adam as a representative of Israel rather than a literal man was troubling to me. His views of OEC are also not in line with our convictions. I may have misinterpreted his views as that is easy to do when looking at reviews, etc. Generally, is approach to interpreting Scripture didn't sit well with me. I just felt like there were other curriculums more inline with our beliefs and left it at that.

Again, there are many curriculums out there that I wouldn't use. I use CLE for three subjects, but since we are not Mennonite, we don't use their Bible. It doesn't make me disdain their company for publishing a curriculum that they fully believe in. That's crazy. Therefore, we will continue to use that subjects from PHP that work for us, and look elsewhere for the subjects that don't. I really don't see the big deal. And if you all knew our family in person, you might be surprised that we feel the way we do. ;)

Edited by Marie in Oh

read a bit about him and his affiliations, and looked over the samples of the parent guide. We are strongly against any figurative reading of the scriptures unless it is expressly written that way (ie. a parable). His views on Adam as a representative of Israel rather than a literal man was troubling to me. His views of OEC are also not in line with our convictions.

Again, there are many curriculums out there that I wouldn't use. I use CLE for three subjects, but since we are not Mennonite, we don't use their Bible. It doesn't make me disdain their company for publishing a curriculum that they fully believe in. That's crazy. Therefore, we will continue to use that subjects from PHP that work for us, and look elsewhere for the subjects that don't. I really don't see the big deal. And if you all knew our family in person, you might be surprised that we feel the way we do. ;)

:iagree: PHP is still the first place I send people (and TWTM is still the ONLY hs book I recommend). I just don't want this class.

I was excited when I first heard about the curriculum. But, after all of the recent happenings I decided to look further into Mr. Enns and his beliefs and teachings. I thus concluded that the resource wouldn't be a good fit for our family. We believe that God has preserved His Word just as the Bible says He has done, that the Bible is 100% historically accurate, without error and most definately not in need of a new way of interpreting or "looking at". We believe Adam was the first man. The Bible's account of Adam is not confusing to us, it's clear and easy to understand.

:iagree:I agree! This is why we will not be using the curriculum.

:iagree:This.

I wish all of this would go away now. I guess it's good to hash it out, but I'm over it and would like to move on. :)

We're using book 1 currently to have quick reference for hands on activities for what we were already using. In other words, it's serving one year's purpose to give me quick hands on stuff for parables, miracles and is being used as supplemental material, not main material.

So why do I know I won't use book 2 or beyond?

*I'm happy with the stuff we are using.

*my scope and sequences for Bible lessons do not match the author's plan. So it won't match up beyond this year.

*and the stuff we have for year after this already has all we are looking for. so I do't see a need for a supplement like this as my youngest daughter will age out of the range for it.

so, it's a nice little hands on book, low stress to do. fun stuff. But it's a one year thing for us.

eh?

-crystal

:iagree:agreeing here too, this is why I won't be using it.

Yes, I completely agree with this, as well. The more I learn about Dr. Enns and how he views/interprets the Scripture, the less I feel comfortable using his curriculum.

We're using book 1 currently to have quick reference for hands on activities for what we were already using. In other words, it's serving one year's purpose to give me quick hands on stuff for parables, miracles and is being used as supplemental material, not main material.

So why do I know I won't use book 2 or beyond?

*I'm happy with the stuff we are using.

*my scope and sequences for Bible lessons do not match the author's plan. So it won't match up beyond this year.

*and the stuff we have for year after this already has all we are looking for. so I do't see a need for a supplement like this as my youngest daughter will age out of the range for it.

so, it's a nice little hands on book, low stress to do. fun stuff. But it's a one year thing for us.

eh?

-crystal

This seems to be more of the way I will be using it as well. That, or I will be sending it back...:willy_nilly:

I read it and I WANT to use it. But God has clearly spoken to my heart that we need to go straight to the Word and learn directly from the scriptures. My son requested that we just read through the NT, so I will teach him inductive study methods as we go and if it takes a few years, I don't care.

I found this Bible study method and we are going to be using it with our boys next year. It meshes with our other beliefs and I like that we are studying the Bible and not someones interpretation of the Bible.

Just thought I would mention it in case you haven't seen it.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/goal-bible-study-journal/