Menu

I have used the word 'kerfluffle' 4 times today.

I looked it up earlier today. I plan to add it to my daily repertoire of words. :D http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kerfuffle

I imagine kerfluffle is like what happens to a bird when the fluff their feathers. The bird was kerfluffled when he heard about the kerfuffle.

Edited by elegantlion

Well, it makes *me* think of some sort of fancy bavarian pastry. One made with airy, buttery pastry, filled with some sort of unhealthy cream filling, maybe with some fruit mixed in, and drizzled over with chocolate and powdered sugar.

It makes me think of that angry bluebird picture National Geographic had a few years back. He was in quite a kerfluffle!

It's also my new favorite word, no matter how it's spelled. I prefer "kerfluffle" only because I like the way it rolls off my tongue.

Oh, it's a word. I grew up saying it. It must be a word. Though I don't use an L after the F.

From dictionary.com:

kerfuffle |kərˈfəfəl|

noun [in sing. ] informal chiefly Brit.

a commotion or fuss, esp. one caused by conflicting views : there was a kerfuffle over the chairmanship.

Maybe someone should start a poll. "Kerfuffle vs Kerfluffle"

Edited by Old Dominion Heather

Well, it makes *me* think of some sort of fancy bavarian pastry. One made with airy, buttery pastry, filled with some sort of unhealthy cream filling, maybe with some fruit mixed in, and drizzled over with chocolate and powdered sugar.

I don't see that connected in any way with "kerfuffle" in my mind, but your confectionery concoction sure sounds like something I could use today!

Maybe I'd need two...

Oh, it's a word. I grew up saying it. It must be a word. Though I don't use an L after the F.

From dictionary.com:

kerfuffle |kərˈfəfəl|

noun [in sing. ] informal chiefly Brit.

a commotion or fuss, esp. one caused by conflicting views : there was a kerfuffle over the chairmanship.

Maybe someone should start a poll. "Kerfuffle vs Kerfluffle"

I found this list of synonyms:

Synonyms: ado, alarums and excursions, ballyhoo, blather, bluster, bobbery, bother, bustle, clatter, clutter [chiefly dialect], coil, corroboree [Australian], disturbance, do [chiefly dialect], foofaraw, fun, furor, furore, fuss, helter-skelter, hoo-ha (also hoo-hah), hoopla, hubble-bubble, hubbub, hullabaloo, hurly, hurly-burly, hurricane, hurry, hurry-scurry (or hurry-skurry), commotion [chiefly British], moil, pandemonium, pother, row, ruckus, ruction, rumpus, shindy, splore [scottish], squall, stew, stir, storm, to-do, tumult, turmoil, uproar, welter, whirl, williwaw, zoo

I nominate foofaraw as the word for the weekend and suggest we work in williwaw on Monday.

Synonyms: ado, alarums and excursions, ballyhoo, blather, bluster, bobbery, bother, bustle, clatter, clutter [chiefly dialect], coil, corroboree [Australian], disturbance, do [chiefly dialect], foofaraw, fun, furor, furore, fuss, helter-skelter, hoo-ha (also hoo-hah), hoopla, hubble-bubble, hubbub, hullabaloo, hurly, hurly-burly, hurricane, hurry, hurry-scurry (or hurry-skurry), commotion [chiefly British], moil, pandemonium, pother, row, ruckus, ruction, rumpus, shindy, splore [scottish], squall, stew, stir, storm, to-do, tumult, turmoil, uproar, welter, whirl, williwaw, zoo

Can you describe the ruckus?

:D

Some of those words are wonderful! I need to get them into my regular usage.

Can you describe the ruckus?

:D

Some of those words are wonderful! I need to get them into my regular usage.

I grew up with hoofarah and flap-doodle, but have adopted kurfuffle. I love "rutabaga", which I am told is an old radio term. When they wanted an "angry crowd" in the background, they grouped people around the mike and had them mumble "rutabaga, rutabaga, rutabaga". I've also heard it is a fight between the pitcher, the catcher, and the umpire.

However, my go-to word is STINK, as in "what's the big stink about?"

Edited by kalanamak