Menu

Thinking of cloth diapers

So, we are seriously considering using cloth diapers for our daughter that will be born in July. We have never done this before, we used Huggies for the other two daughters.

Any advice?

We are thinking of doing this for financial reasons, not environmental, if that matters; although we do like the idea of using hemp - if it is as inexpensive and effective.

Any brands to avoid or recommendations that you have? dw went to a presentation today where they told her about cloth diapers (but they also sell them, so I am naturally a little suspicious of people praising things they sell!) Seems overwhelming to me with all the different styles and types.

FWIW, she liked what she saw of Bum Genius, Fuzzy Bunz, and Grovia.

I've tried all-in-ones and pockets (bumGenius), fitteds (Mother-Ease), prefolds and flats (Green Mountain Diapers), and my favorites are flats with Flip covers. I wish I'd known about flats before spending money on the modern diapers. They are the most economical and best-laundered diapers. They can be folded into a rectangle and laid in the cover, just like any all-in-two system (like Flip or Grovia).

For $180, you could buy 4 dozen organic cotton flats (smalls and larges ... sized flats are kind of nice to have) and 6 Flip covers (which are one-size).

For hemp ... I really like Thirsties Hemp prefolds, which are easily laundered and fold into a Thirsties Duo cover (I like these as well as Flip, but they come in two sizes rather than one size.)

ETA: Can I suggest checking out the Diaper Pin website for reviews and active forum?

Edited by ChrisOR

If you want to CD on the cheap, you should get prefolds with snappis and a few covers.

The brands you listed are sort of the "big name brands" for CDs. If you can sew, you can look into patterns for cloth diapers and make your own. There are a list of coop groups on yahoo where you can get your fabric "on the cheap" but the thing with a coop is that you usually have to wait for the fabric to come in.

Check out hyenacart.com for some WAHM made diapers. I have a Google doc powerpoint presentation that explains the difference between the types of cloth diapers (there are lots, AIOs, AI2s, fitteds, prefolds, flats) LMK if you need any more help :)

The cheapest way to cloth diaper is to use plain old Chinese prefolds such as these: http://www.earthybirthymama.com/diapers/dsq.html

I just fold them in thirds and lay them in my favorite covers, Proraps:http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=284

The more covers the better because then you can go longer between washing. Fitted diapers are nice, too, but I've never been able to bring myself to pay for them!

I've tried most different kinds out there and prefer pocket diapers. There is no one special diaper that is the best. Mostly you have to find one that will fit your budget and suit your baby. There are several tried and true brands though. I would explore ThanksMama.com and read reviews of different diapers. They also have great sampler packs for the newborn period so you can try out different diapers during the newborn period to see what fits your family the best.

I've used cloth diapers for over 9 years and my youngest is about to potty train:sad:

We love cloth diapering!!! I bought second BumGenius's for my 4 year old (when he was a baby :) Back then the only all-in-ones were the organics. I needed Stay Dry to keep my DS from getting a rash so I switched to pockets. Now with my 1 year old we've done Flips, Thirsties Duo Wraps, Kawaii copies of Duo Wraps and ebay pockets (chinese made diapers-CoolaBaby, Babyland etc.,and Sweet Doll Baby-they are american made). I loved Flips and Duos and the Flip insert is awesome if you want a stay dry. I did have some prefolds but my DD gets a rash from anything but stay dry material. It was too hard to do both Flips and Duos and then pockets, so I just do pockets now. All the "ebay diapers" are copies of BumGenius which I would really love to have but we can't afford. So I have 25 one size pockets from ebay that I wash every 3 days and hang dry (i don't care what anyone says putting PUL in the dryer is bad news). The cheap pockets you can get for about $4 each on ebay or you can order from the distributors directly. Also I have a recipe for detergent that's cheap to make and works just as well as Rockin Green. I hope you could discern my "stream of consciousness" post.

Good luck in your cloth diapering adventure. Check out diaperswappers and diaperpin. You'll find tons of info there.

I realize it's odd, but I love our cloth diapers. I started with C when he was about 6 months and have always used cloth with O. I have a bunch of bought and made ones. I prefer all-in-2s for older babies. They are like an all in one but they dry faster. For infants prefolds in covers work great. Check out diaper swapper.com. It's a huge community. hth.

We've cloth diapered Caleb and Julie from birth and have really enjoyed it! I went all out on the Bum Genius diapers for Caleb--36, brand spankin' new, and none of them ever worked for him. :( HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! I sold them all within 10 weeks and replaced them with (old style) fuzzibunz that worked GREAT for us for a long time!!! When the new-style fuzzibunz came out, I sold many of our older ones and bough the new ones--BIG MISTAKE. The new ones just aren't as reliable as the old style. :( So, when Julie was born we needed more diapers and I ordered the Coolababy diapers for her off of E-bay. LOVE them. They're super cheap for pocket diapers, and they work GREAT. We use one of the mf soakers that come with the diapers, and a hemp doubler from green mountain diapers. These are my recommended diapers for newly cloth-diapering parents because they work fabulously, and are a rather small investment for a very convenient cloth diapering option.

We used prefolds exclusively on our newborns (with Thirstie's XS covers :001_wub: and then also the Thirstie's DUO wraps with Julie) and while prefolds are nice, simple, easy, there's something about using a pocket diaper that I just prefer. :confused:

So. My suggestion is to check out the One-Size Coolababy Diapers on e-bay. However, do NOT buy the bamboo lined Coolababy diapers--they do not work!!!!!!!! Just the regular fleece inner is what we have and LOVE! :D

GOOD LUCK & Happy Diapering! :)

If your main reason is financial then, like others, I vote for flats or prefolds (just like flats except, well, prefolded) in a cover of some description. Everyone has their favourite cover, mine were Bummis Whisper Wraps for prefolds, and Bummis Whisper Pants for flats (which I pinned around the baby)

I also like Pockets, but the cost is a lot more.

Thanks for all the info!

As far as the financial thing goes, we don't need the cheapest way, but hopefully something cheaper than buying Huggies all the time. ;) I am sure at some point, even the more expensive cloth diapers become a better value than disposables.

We appreciate all the advice. Keep it coming! :)

I experimented with nearly every cloth diaper out there on #4. With #5, I've narrowed down my diaper stash to unbleached Indian prefolds, Econobums covers, and a few BumGenius pockets (NOT all-in-ones) for on-the-go.

If you stalk http://www.cottonbabies.com, you can sometimes get the Econobums covers for $4.95. I'm unaware of ANY existing, less expensive cover, and Econobums are one-sized, to boot, so they'll be used nearly forever!

You can also buy Econobums with their same-brand prefolds, which are fabulous prefolds, but I find them to be way too big for my 3 month old, so we're waiting. We also used some Proraps and Thirsties covers until he was a little over 9lbs. The Econobums were a tad bit loose on his chicken legs in those first few weeks!

I actually just sold off my whole cloth diaper stash on eBay this past week (my ds finally potty trained--- yay!), but I used Fuzzi Bunz on both kids and loved them.

For me, they seriously were just as easy as a disposable. You just knocked off the poop into the toilet, shook out the insert into their hanging diaper bag, and dumped the diaper in. I did diaper laundry every other day and I would just turn the whole bag inside out into the washer, throw it in, and voila--- done!

They held up well (I had 15-20 of each size---small, medium, and large) through two kids and I just sold them secondhand for around $200. They're definitely not the cheapest, but as far as convenience and quality go I thought they were fantastic.

They've changed over the years because now they offer the one size fits all and the perfect size. We owned the equivalent of the perfect size ones they sell now. PM if you have any specific questions.

Brands that work for one baby, might not work for another. If you're going for the more fancy dipes, DON'T buy a lot until you know what works!!!

If you want to go on the cheap, get prefolds, snappis, and covers. I LOVE the prefolds from green mountain diapers. They are a bit more expensive, but there is a definite difference between them and the standard kinds. I pretty much use them exclusively for the first several months b/c my girls grew so fast.

For covers, the newborn/extra small size of Proraps are my favorite when the umbilical stump is still attached. I don't really like the fit on any other size of that brand. For my first, Bummis Super Whisper Wraps were my work horse cover. For #2, Thirsties Duo Wraps are covers I've been using. I would try a mix of velcro and snap covers. I know a lot of ppl prefer snaps, but I can never get a tight fit around the thighs w/snaps.

For other types of diapers - BumGenius One Size diapers have been the main dipe of choice for both girls. I have never had a problem w/them. #1 wore her BG's for over 2 yrs - from about 9 wks until she was potty trained at 2.5 yrs. I also used a WAMH diaper - Nana's Bottoms - for #1.

In terms of fiber - I never really cared for hemp. It gets stinky really easily. I much perfer bamboo. Zorb is a newer material out there that is supposed to be super absorbant, but it is man-made.

I don't love our cloth diapers, but they are fine. It's not their fault, it's mostly because I don't love doing cloth diaper laundry. The diapers themselves are wonderful. They almost never leak (maybe 3 leaks ever in over 2 years?) We are doing it primarily for financial reasons as well. I have 3 BumGenius pockets, 1 BumGenius fitted AIO, 2 Econobums, lots of Thirsties DuoWraps and several dozen chinese prefolds. We mostly use the prefolds and snappis. In fact, although originally I went for them because of the price, I've come to like them better than the BumGeniuses. I don't think I would enjoy stuffing 20 of them every time I do the laundry (and it would be more like 40, because I'm cloth diapering 2 right now). Plus, the BumGeniuses get buildup easier, in my experience, and tend to give my girls rashes no matter how many times I try to strip them- the diapers, not the girls.

For us, I was looking for diapers that would last through several children, and so far all of them are. If you go with prefolds, I'd suggest getting 32 or so infant-sized ones and 24 or so premium ones with 6 Thirsties DuoWraps in both sizes (so 12 in all). From there you could add more or not, but for me that has been enough to last for 3 days between washings.

We do keep disposables on hand for those times when it is just more convenient, and our six month old sleeps in them every night because the cloth diapers can't handle her for that long.

The big cons of cloth diapering for me are:

-laundry (which isn't the end of the world, but not fun)

-rashes which my girls tend to get more often in cloth

-bulk- they are bulkier than disposables, so sometimes the girls clothes fit weird

-inconvenience of taking them places with you

The big pros to me are:

-cost- so far I've spent less than $400 on my entire cloth diapering stash/system, and from previous calculations, I've spent maybe $50 washing them. That puts it at $450 for diapering for 2 and a half years, or $15/month. Disposables were going to cost me at least $40-$60 per month, and as I am going to continue with the same diapers for several babies, it will get less expensive as I go.

-environment- I feel good not putting all the diapers into the landfills. It's not make or break-it, but good nonetheless

-leakproof- love this feature. When we switch to disposables on vacation or something, I always have at least one or two leaks a week.

-street-cred: people are fascinated and think you are cool for being willing to do it.

So there you have it. I'd recommend it as a good way to save money, but it's not the end-all of baby raising.

The cheapest way to cloth diaper is to use plain old Chinese prefolds such as these: http://www.earthybirthymama.com/diapers/dsq.html

I just fold them in thirds and lay them in my favorite covers, Proraps:http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=284

The more covers the better because then you can go longer between washing. Fitted diapers are nice, too, but I've never been able to bring myself to pay for them!

We did this and it was great. Regular old Chinese prefolds (I had both bleached & unbleached) and a bunch of covers. I remember my covers were about $8-$10 each and closed with snaps, some with velcro. Out of curiosity, I bought a couple of Fuzzibunz (loved these, so cute, no leaks, easy to wash), a wool Staccinator (wasn't that crazy about it), and 2 AIOs (didn't find these any easier than prefolds and covers).

I remember having about 2-3 dozen prefolds and about 10 covers at any given time. I also bought a yard of fleece (really cheap) and cut it into rectangles to line the dipes with. Poop slid right off this and it kept the prefolds from staining. I used both pins and snappis.

Washing is a breeze, btw. I would rinse out the prefold, wring, and toss into an empty 5-gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag. Every 2-3 days (no they didn't smell) I washed them in hot water, with my homemade detergent and AC vinegar in the second rinse to soften. Then dried on hot for 60 minutes. They came out beautiful. For the covers, I would rinse them out after each use and hang them up in the bathroom and use them again once they were dry. I washed these with the diapers every few days, then hung to dry.

I loved cloth diapering. Ds never had a rash, looked adorable in them, and was fully potty trained at 2 1/2 years old.

Edited by Abkjw01

:iagree:Doodle is a July baby and wore little more than his cloth diaper and a white onsie the first few months. I used an inexpensive, plain and simple combination with him. Prefolds, Snappis, and ProRap covers.

Megan said I don't love our cloth diapers, but they are fine. It's not their fault, it's mostly because I don't love doing cloth diaper laundry....LOL I agree I don't love it, but I am used to it and it's economical. I have been cloth diapering for 20 years.

I tried a variety of fitted but can't justify the cost to go all fitted or AIO. I am an old fashion prefold pinning girl, We use covers from BestBuyBaby.com. or BabybestBuy.com?? A breathable nylon, they last the longest. I do love my homemade wool legging for nighttime, and I have a dozen wool wraps and plus a dozen prowraps. On newborns fitted are great though! Otherwise the bulk is too much with prefolds. I picked up some carosel brand for these, which I love, and made doublers for. But I can't find these anywhere online. i usually use disposables the first week. (or until the package runs out) I have been tempted by the AIO fitted I saw for around $5 each, Sunbaby? I think? for baby #9. As I am ready to be spoiled. But my frugal New England roots have yet to give in....

Let me add who will be diapering? We have several kids & my husband who all take turns. Me & the kids like snappies, My husband hates them. My kids love my form fitted velcros with wrap style covers (I do for messies ones too.... less mess than pulling off the pullup kind) I like having a stash of these easy style ones for "anti" CD kids or grandma's who may need to change the baby.

So definately go ask your husband his preference. The extra cost is worth it for AIO, if it adds another helper to the mix. Thankfully my husband like prefolds & pins.

And I am blessed that he does the diaper washing too. (although I sacrifice a little because he does it slightly different than I would, but it's worth it)

HTH

Jeanine

I agree with the advice about testing out brands before you invest.

We tried a number of diapers, and found that for my dh, using a pocket diaper was easiest. I had a mixture of Bum Genius and Fuzzi Bunz (old style). As those have worn out (3 kids/5 years later), for financial reasons I am switching to chinese prefolds and Thirsties covers. I really like the Thirsties covers best because they are generously cut in the thigh and I have chunky monkey babies. I still use FB at night because my children are super heavy wetters with very sensitive skin.

I would recommend using a 15 gallon trash can with a liner as your diaper pail and getting two wet bags as well for dealing with cloth diapering while out and out.

If you don't want to invest in custom cloth wipes, the cheapie washcloths at Wal-Mart work well.

I remember having about 2-3 dozen prefolds and about 10 covers at any given time. I also bought a yard of fleece (really cheap) and cut it into rectangles to line the dipes with. Poop slid right off this and it kept the prefolds from staining. I used both pins and snappis. _____________

Angela

Dd (17) - Senior at journalism high school

Dd (14) - Freshman at performing arts high school

Ds (10) - Ambleside Online Yrs 2&3, Teaching Textbooks 5, Spelling Skills 4, Instant Immersion Spanish

Ok

OK I second this idea even on fitted diapers. let me add I also bought fleece cut it up to line my diapers. It is great for plopping "poops" right into the toilet. Prevents staining. I cut mine in a fitted hour glass shape. The shape you see doublers in. FYI put it on after you fold the diaper....my husband would fold it with the diaper which totally defeated its purpose LOL. Also it keeps a dry layer against your babies skin. If you do plain white prefolds, here is where you can buy cute baby prints. Cut one for every diaper you have. Fleece blankets & scarfs you never use workwell too ( I tended to get these as gifts and they just take up space, now they are "Being used'.

HTH again

Jeanine

Let me add who will be diapering? We have several kids & my husband who all take turns. Me & the kids like snappies' date=' My husband hates them. My kids love my form fitted velcros with wrap style covers (I do for messies ones too.... less mess than pulling off the pullup kind) I like having a stash of these easy style ones for "anti" CD kids or grandma's who may need to change the baby.

So definately go ask your husband his preference. The extra cost is worth it for AIO, if it adds another helper to the mix. Thankfully my husband like prefolds & pins.

And I am blessed that he does the diaper washing too. (although I sacrifice a little because he does it slightly different than I would, but it's worth it)

HTH

Jeanine[/quote']

This is why we went with the Fuzzi Bunz. My dh was terrified of pinning the baby by accident. So snaps it was..

I love cloth diapers!

Before you buy new, check out the sale and swap board at www.diaperswappers.com

The women there are fantastic and you can get some great diapers for pretty darn cheap, but then of course there are those that overcharge, so read feedback before sending any money.

Be warned though, CDing is like homeschooling, one can get obsessed and find that all you think and talk about it diapers (or books.) lol!

Edited by jadedone80

I have tried most major brands. I like Fuzzi Bunz best for pocket diapers. I find that BGs have to be repaired much too often. With my newest addition I am using prefolds and Econobum covers. I chose this for the economical factor, but I find that prefolds and a Snappi are just as easy as pocket diapers and the laundry is a hundred times easier!

I love the Econobum covers! They are one size(although they won't fit a newborn) and trim. I also love the Prorap covers. They are cheap and work great! The only drawback is no laundry tabs.

If you want prefolds keep checking CottonBabies and Little Lions websites for seconds. I got 4 dz LL prefolds for $40 shipped. They work great and are SO easy.

I second the diaperswappers.com advice. Great forum with tons of info. Good luck and congrats on the new baby girl!

Well, one thing to keep in mind is not just the cost of cloth...but how many kids might go through them or how long they'll use them! I have 5-6 diapers (the Mother-ease one-size) that I'm using on my 3rd son. My first son started wearing them when he was about 6 months old, I think. My third son is 5 1/2 years old! Slightly above average size, not tiny at all. He is obviously potty-trained, but still wets the bed so needs a diaper. At this point I feel a bit bad putting a diaper on him (although he doesn't seem to mind), but all the time I think how much money I've said with YEARS and repeated uses of these half-dozen diapers! (Note: these are not the ONLY diapers we had, we had a lot of others as well. I mainly used them as night-time diapers since they are so absorbent).

The Mother-ease diapers really hold up well for years and I'd highly recommend them. Very absorbent. Not as flashy and fancy as some of the pocket ones, etc. but I think they're the best way to go for years of use and various sizes. We also used all-in-ones that lasted a long time, but not half as long as the Mother-ease. We are still using the same diaper covers my first son used as a baby, too.

Pocket diapers like you mentioned are fun, and easy. But for cost and effectiveness flats or prefolds win hands down. I have never had a wet diaper leak when it is a flat or a prefold under a good cover. Ever. I used to prefer prefolds, but now LOVE LOVE LOVE flats. They take a few more minutes to fold (I fold them before putting them away, so they are ready to go when I am changing her) but are cheap as dirt and wash up better than anything else. They also dry much much faster, saving time and money that way. My current favorites are actual the "flour sack cloths" sold as kitchen towels at walmart and target, LOL. They work great and are $1 each. But they would be a bit big on a newborn, unless you folded them a bit more.

Katie

I loved cloth diapers and used them with all five of my children. With the first four I used prefolds, pins and covers. With number five, I used BumGenious and FuzziBunz for the convenience factor. They are as easy as disposables. I was easily able to sell them all for half of what I paid.

I love the Flip covers. You can put prefolds in them, or you can use the inserts they sell with the system. The stay dry inserts work well and make the diaper quite trim for cloth, and the organic inserts are super soft. I also like how quickly they dry.

I own a cloth diapering forum. We have a bunch of great women and a busy For Sale or Trade area. I'd love for you to come over and check it out. It's clothdiapernation.com My username is the same there. If you have any trouble, let me know, and I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can. :001_smile:

I have prefold, fitted, contour (fitted without any fasteners), pocket diapers, and All-In-Ones.

Prefolds are what I reach for most. They work, they're simple (fold in thirds and stick in a waterproof wrap), they dry quickly, and I have a lot of them.

If I'm expecting a poop, I'll go with a fitted or contour for better containment.

I do use the pockets occasionally for variety, but I could live without them. I never would have bought them myself, but I got them as a hand-me-down.

Pockets are by far the most expensive of the basic diapering options (as opposed to the specialty diapers made of organic fairy wings and spiderwebs which cost $50 for a single diaper), since you have to change the cover + inserts every time. Usually you can get by with about 1 cover for every 4-6 diapers, but not with pockets.

I think pockets are best for dealing with people who are cloth diaper resistant - pre-stuff them, then they can just put them on basically the same as a disposable, without any folding or other source of confusion.

I use our AIO diapers at night out of some (probably misplaced) perception that they work better for that, but they have to dry for days (we line-dry. In comparison, prefolds dry overnight in the same location), and I'm not convinced they're getting 100% clean or dry on the inner layers. Again, got them as a gift, not something I'd choose to buy.

I agree that it's best to try different things and see what you actually like in practice before investing in any one thing. And personally, I like having a variety for different circumstances.

Edited by ocelotmom

Gerber prefolded gauze diapers. They're all-cotton and way less expensive than most other cloth diapers. Millions of us used them back in the day. :-)

Instead of expensive diaper covers, you can use Gerber plastic pants. They're inexpensive, and they fit easily under whatever cute outer pants your baby will wear.

I used only Amway laundry products on my babies' diapers--white, white diapers that didn't fall apart because of liquid chlorine bleach, and babies' skin wasn't affected by the laundry products.

Since your just thinking about it....I'll throw in my experience. I was "all natural" girl with my first born - determined to have a natural child birth, breast feed only for 6 months, to make my own baby food, use cloth diapers, etc, etc. - all good things which I did. So we used the cloth diapers for 3 months. I did use disposable for trips etc. After 3 months I had had enough. HATED THEM! LOVE DISPOSABLES! Never used cloth again for the next 3 kids and I'm glad! So there! :D :lol: :lol:

Gerber prefolded gauze diapers. They're all-cotton and way less expensive than most other cloth diapers. Millions of us used them back in the day. :-)

Instead of expensive diaper covers, you can use Gerber plastic pants. They're inexpensive, and they fit easily under whatever cute outer pants your baby will wear.

I used these with my son for awhile. Someone gifted me with several dozen prefolds, some bamboo fabric and some from Green Mountain.

I know most people say the Gerbers don't work, but they worked OK for me. DS napped for 2-3 hours at a time, so I had to double the diaper and/or use a soaker(which I made from blankets).

The plastic pants worked fine too, they tear much easier than the more expensive covers, but that could be because I washed them frequently.

All that to say, they aren't as bad as I was lead to believe. They did the job and I never once had the stink or ammonia smell that I occasionally do with my current diapers.

I probably will use them, along with some other diapers, for this baby.

The more covers the better because then you can go longer between washing.

:iagree: This is the most economical way to cloth diaper. And it is SO easy once you get the hang of it. I also really like Thirsties diaper covers.

The brands you mentioned are among the most expensive...well, maybe not the most expensive, but definitely not the thing to use if you are doing this for financial reasons. Fuzzibunz are great night time diapers, though.

I am a fan of using fitteds with covers, which is mostly what I have used for all 3 children. And even though it isn't the cheapest combination, I have still saved quite a bit of money, disposable diapers are expensive!!

I agree with the suggestions about the message boards and other sites to investigate. There are a lot of sale forums as well, and you can often get like new diapers at a fraction of the cost.

Good luck!!

I know most people say the Gerbers don't work, but they worked OK for me. DS napped for 2-3 hours at a time, so I had to double the diaper and/or use a soaker(which I made from blankets).

The plastic pants worked fine too, they tear much easier than the more expensive covers, but that could be because I washed them frequently.

I don't feel like the Gerber prefolds are the best option in that price range - Chinese and Indian prefolds are similar price, and better quality. But they do work.

A lot of people don't realize that Gerber makes a bunch of different kinds of diapers - the birdseye prefolds really aren't great, and they have a line that's labeled as diapers but really more intended to be burp cloths, but the diaper service quality are reasonable (and more expensive).

I used the plastic pants with DS because they had them at the K-Mart by our house and they were cheap. I agree with you - they work, but tear easily.

I've never tried the Chinese or Indian prefolds. I was given the Gerbers for free and then the Green Mountain brown edge prefolds for free for DS. I'm partial to free.

Pricing the different sizes of Green Mountains have me curious about other prefolds. I don't want just Gerbers for this kiddo and it's unlikely I'll be given a bunch more free diapers.

I haven't read all the replies, but here's my experience. My 2nd has very sensitive skin and had horrible reactions to disposables. He also had bad, although not as bad, reactions to the synthetics in pockets like bumgenius and fuzzibunz. Fit has been an issue too, and changed as he grew. After buying and selling more than I could have imagined, I settled on making my own fitteds and using wool covers with a couple of thirsties mixed in. Just be prepared for some trial and error to find what works. Also, do research the best laundry method for your type of diaper and water. It makes a big difference in some instances.

I haven't read all the pps but if you're going for economical, I'd go for prefolds and covers with a snappi. I love http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com for prefolds (I found the unbleached to be more absorbent). For an economical cover, I'd go with Thirsties brand covers as you can keep your kid in the same size forever. My dds started in size small, then moved up to size medium and stayed in that until training. Prefolds also won't give your kiddo as much of a pumpkin butt, so you won't have to size up in clothes. If you'd like pockets, I'd go with used BumGenius pockets. They snap down so they work for a kid 8 pds-35pds.

Both of my girls trained at 28 months old, both cloth-diapered from the start all the way through. Cloth-diapering is much easier than it seems, and can be so cheap if you want it to be. I would recommend http://www.diaperswappers.com for a place to buy used diapers, or to sell the diapers that your dc outgrows. Also, http://www.diaperpages.com is a great site to see what cloth entails...her site is *very* old so a lot of her brand recs are out-of-date (some of the companies no longer exist!) but it helps to see how she uses prefolds on older kids and made her own diaper solutions cheaply. It's a great site for just starting out. hth, feel free to pm me with any specific questions. :001_smile:

I own a cloth diapering forum. We have a bunch of great women and a busy For Sale or Trade area. I'd love for you to come over and check it out. It's clothdiapernation.com My username is the same there. If you have any trouble, let me know, and I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can. :001_smile:

You own that?! Cool!

I've recently started hearing GOOD things about this forum and to go here, not diaperswappers, etc.

I haven't read all the posts, but I highly recommend the prefolds and fitteds at http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/ as a high-quality and cost-effective solution.

I am also using cloth for the 1st time with our new baby. I was attracted to the reduced cost vs. disposable, but was mainly doing it for comfort, reduced diaper rash, lack of chemicals against baby's skin, etc. as well as keeping raw sewage out of the trash.

I decided to use only cotton products (and a bit of bamboo) as opposed to synthetic microfibers, etc., and have been very pleased.

I just fold the prefold in thirds, place it in the cover, and velcro it on. A bit more EBF poop does get on the cover that way, but it's no big deal. Fitteds contain these messes a bit better, but stain a bit more easily since the mess gets into the elastic and stitching but again, no big deal.

Personally, I love AIOs, but they can be expensive. I have Bottom Bumpers one-size with side snaps which have a snap-in insert. They're not cheap but they're one-size so they will last. My absolute favorite AIO hands-down are Oso Cozy. They are very cost-effective for an AIO and fit my baby perfectly. The small size from 7-13 pounds fit her well as a newborn, and still fit well as a 13 lb. 4 month old! I find AIOs extremely handy for outings.

I would suggest you use mainly pre-folds, and have 3-4 AIOs for the diaper bag.

Best of luck!

You own that?! Cool!

I've recently started hearing GOOD things about this forum and to go here, not diaperswappers, etc.

That's great! We work really hard to make it a fun, fair place. It's gotten to be a bit more than a CD forum. A lot of people who no longer CD have stuck around and there are a few who don't even have kids at all. It started with diapers though, and the diaper/crunchy community is a big part of the whole thing. You should definitely come check it out, we'd love to have you! :001_smile:

So, we ordered some:

From my wife:

I got a few bum genius pocket diapers, grovia diapers with the snap in liners, and a couple of flips, cause they are a little cheaper. Lol not sure that I will like them as well. I also got a kawaii (sp?) Diaper for free from the company I ordered from. :o) I don't have a whole stock of diapers yet, just like 3 of each to try so I can see what works best for her I guess.

I just scanned the replies, sorry if someone already mentioned these. I am lazy about leaving the house with cloth diapers, but didn't want to use disposables. Take a look at gDiapers. The inserts can be composted or flushed, and the pants fit well. Sometimes I used them around the house as well, with motherease liners instead (the motherease one size was our usual).