Menu

Let's Play What for dinner?

Of course I started this thread today because I have known what we are going to have for dinner tonight since yesterday. This past weekend I purchased a 5 lb bag of Vidalia Onions on sale, and if I have a big bag of onions I will be making Onion soup. This is a 2 day process. Day 1 Carmelize the onions for 24 hours on low in the slow cooker. Ingredients enough onions peeled and skinned to fill the slow cooker. enough broth (chicken, beef vegie doesn't matter) to cover the bottom of the slow cooker Note your house will smell intensely of onion.

Day 2 Open slow cooker and admire the beautiful site, then add beef broth, a bit of Worcheshire sauce and a few bay leaves. Cook on low all day.

Treat yourself to Panera bread soup bowls,

To assemble - scoop out center of bread bowl save pieces for dipping, put soup in bowl, put in a few croutons, put a slice of provolone or swiss on top, broil until browned Enjoy!!!!

Dinner? Huh? I guess I do need to think about that, don't I? :D

I guess I'll go to the freezer and figure out which type of meat I should have taken out of the freezer last night! Thanks for the reminder!

I'm going through a particularly disorganized period in my life -- last night we had take-out paizza. Sad!

Well, last night we had Chinese stir fry. My special recipe made in a wok---By my 11yo dd! She did so well, it tasted GREAT! Hmph--that was MY special recipe. She learned to make it, and now I think hers tasted better than mine! NOW what do I do? ;)

Maybe tonight we'll have my homemade potato soup. That's about it for my specialties! :)

We are having a seasonal supper: pissaladiere and Sugar Snap, Radish, Cucumber Salad.

I use a recipe from one of the Moosewoods for the pissaladiere. Top a thick whole wheat crust with some cheese and a thick layer of carmelized onions (flavored with thyme). Yum, yum.

I also wanted to make oatmeal-cocoa no-bakes but realized that I don't have enough oats. Since I biked the opposite direction from the grocery to vote and since I am trying to reduce my carbon footprint by not running my car for something as silly as one ingredient, I am doing with no bakes. Sniff, sniff. Sympathy and a merit badge, please?

Jane

Chicken breasts are cooking in teh crockpot. I'm going to make some gravy, heat up some mashed potatoes and do a veggie of some sort. (I usually close my eyes and whatever box I grab from the freezer is what we eat).

He wants to experiment with making our own calzones. So, I put marinara sauce in the crock pot this morning, and after I get back inside from supervising guinea pig playtime on the patio, I'll put together some pizza dough. We'll let that rise while he's at dance class and assemble our creations this evening.

I'm thinking mine's going to get sauce, sauteed onions and black olives. His will probably be just sauce on the inside. We bought a big bunch of grapes yesterday, so we'll eat some of those on the side, and he will drink a glass of soymilk.

I have white beans seasoned with country ham in the slow cooker.

I have a "mess" of greens simmering on the stove.

I will ask my daughter to make a batch of cornbread this evening to go with this meal.

That's supper for us tonight!! If only I had some green tomatoes to fry, then dh would really be singing my praises!

I'm trying to clean out our fridge/pantry and not grocery shop this week before we go on vacation.

So for dinner....Asparagus, Mashed Red Potatoes and leftover Grilled Veggies. Fruit smoothies for dessert.

I'm half cheating. DH is in DC this week so I'll be popping a Publix Chicken Pot Pie in the oven to heat up. But I think I will redeem myself with the fresh, local strawberries I picked up this afternoon and the homemade shortcakes that will go with them. YUM! I may skip the pot pie and go straight for the berries

Sounds great!

We're just having homemade chicken casserole...very basic.

Boil chicken, frozen mixed veggies. Boil rice. Add together with broccoli cheese canned soup, spices (salt, pepper, garlic) combine and pour into baking dish. When it's about finished I'll put some biscuit dough on top for baked biscuits on top of casserole. Sheryl <><