Menu

Looking for good clean movies I've missed seeing in the last 5 yrs or so...

We haven't watched hardly any in the last 5 yrs and I need to fill up my Netflix queue! Just saw Temple Grandin-that was really good. I liked the Miss Potter one when it was out.

Anything along that line-I've really lost interest in movies because of all the violence/sex/language but there must be some out there that were good that I've missed?

I recently watched "Princess Protection Program" with the kids. It was not great, but the message was good and my kids enjoyed it. It was really good about how to respond to mean girls. (But, a bit hokey. At the beginning, my 8 year old said something about how outlandish it was!!)

Mostly, we watch Prototype This and Mythbusters and animal shows.

We finally watched Blind Side and that was pretty good. (Without kids. It might be OK for an 11 year old.)

I am shocked when I watch 80s shows that I remembered as clean, there was a lot of swearing in most 80s movies. There was one sentence in Johnny 5 that they worked so hard to get a swear word into that I laughed hysterically for a bit thinking about it.

Mostly, we watch Prototype This and Mythbusters .

Mythbusters had a lot of what we call pseudo-swearing, though, so be careful of that if you are trying to stay away from it. Though we love the show and don't mind our boys seeing it, and love how it makes them starting mythbusting on their own!

Megamind is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. There were several times I actually laughed out loud.

:iagree:

I really also enjoyed Ramona and Beezus. It was clean, sweet, funny and brought back great childhood memories.

Recent ones that we considered "family" movies and enjoyed:

The Tale of Despereaux

Dreamer

Secretariat

Percy Jackson and the Olypmpians: The Lightning Thief

Despicable Me

The Karate Kid (was prepared not to like it, loved the original)

Facing the Giants

Letters to God

What have you seen in the past that you enjoy?

Would Little Miss Sunshine be all wrong? I laughed crazily.

What about Marley & Me?

Despicable Me? Night at the Museum?

Have you ever seen A League of Their Own? It's much older than 5 years, but it's fun. What about another oldie like October Sky?

We watched Secretariat 4-5 times in the first two weeks that it came out. Everyone loved it. Absolutely clean movie. No immorality, no violence, no swearing (the worst that is said is something about a monkey butt).

What have you seen in the past that you enjoy?

Would Little Miss Sunshine be all wrong? I laughed crazily.

What about Marley & Me?

Despicable Me? Night at the Museum?

Have you ever seen A League of Their Own? It's much older than 5 years, but it's fun. What about another oldie like October Sky?

If you (OP) are watching with kids, you'll want to preview Little Miss Sunshine and October Sky. Really enjoyed A League of Their Own but that's been awhile.

October Sky is fabulous, really inspiring, but has some rough talk from the dad and a surprising amount of language. Amazing how much just skims over our heads until we're sitting there with young ears ... then the words drop like cannon balls right there in the room. :tongue_smilie:

I agree that Ramona & Beezus is a very clean and adorable movie.

Kitt Kittredge

Second Chances

Front of the Class (not available yet)

TV series or miniseries ~ maybe for your enjoyment more than for the kids. Depends on what you are comfortable with:

Little Men (from 1998/1999 but some people didn't really know about it). Quite clean, but I think the first episode from the first season has a quick scene of a fight at Plumfield School. Other minor content may come up, like a couple discuss a "lull" in their marriage. Use your own judgement.

Lark Rise to Candleford (BBC) Netflix has seasons 1 & 2. Youtube has seasons 3 & 4. Possible minor content.

Cranford (BBC) There is an operation scene that you'd want to be aware of.

Return to Cranford (BBC) I haven't watched this in a long time, but I believe content is minimal.

You can go to charitysplace.com and screenit.com for more specific details.

We haven't watched hardly any in the last 5 yrs and I need to fill up my Netflix queue! Just saw Temple Grandin-that was really good. I liked the Miss Potter one when it was out.

Anything along that line-I've really lost interest in movies because of all the violence/sex/language but there must be some out there that were good that I've missed?

DH and I loved THE GOOD YEAR with Russell Crowe -- not for the kids -- but nothing violent or gratuitous or embarassing.

I did think she was asking for herself. Sorry about that. All of the movies I mentioned should be previewed if young kids are watching. (Little Miss Sunshine is probably not a good clean movie. Its funny, so it came to mind, but it's not 'clean'. So do forget that one.

I am not so strict as some. Some language is not a huge worry to me, either. My kids are prudes in that way. I'm worse...and I am not too bad. ;)

Oh! What about the show dog movie, Best in Show. Fun! Fun! I think it was clean...maybe some language, but a lot of fun.

If you (OP) are watching with kids, you'll want to preview Little Miss Sunshine and October Sky. Really enjoyed A League of Their Own but that's been awhile.

October Sky is fabulous, really inspiring, but has some rough talk from the dad and a surprising amount of language. Amazing how much just skims over our heads until we're sitting there with young ears ... then the words drop like cannon balls right there in the room. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by LibraryLover

Here are some of my favorites that I've watched recently:

Disclaimer: I tolerate a little language, and if a bed scene gets too steamy, I fast forward. I don't think these have anything to be real concerned about, but you could always check http://www.screenit.com. I am not thinking of kids when I recommend these, though some may be fine)

An Education

(not for children, and I didn't pass this one along to my husband), but I found it interesting in terms of parenting teens.

Letters to Juliet (cute and fun)

The Blind Side (very inspirational)

The Locket (very clean)

The Ron Clark Story (loved this, teacher story)

Lorenzo's Oil (very inspirational, medical)

Charms for the Easy Life (loved this)

Living Proof (very inspirational, medical)

First Do No Harm (very inspirational, medical)

Gifted Hands, The Ben Carson Story (very inspirational, medical)

On a Clear Day (quirky, but I really liked it -- very realistic)

Invictus (inspiring)

An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving (cute, sweet)

Dear John (I didn't pass this one along to my husband, but I enjoyed it)

A Walk to Remember (cute, sweet)

Extraordinary Measures (very inspirational, medical)

The Young Victoria (loved it, moving)

Rendition (this is rated R, I cannot remember why -- check screenit -- but it was intense, and I really liked it. My husband watched it, which meant it didn't have immodesty)

Ice Castles (I enjoyed, didn't pass along to husband)

Did You Hear about the Morgans? (hilarious, fun -- my husband watched)

Julie & Julia (fun)

Flightplan (intense, my husband and I have watched this twice)

Hachi -- A Dog's Tale (fun for the whole family)

Gracie's Choice (intense, meaningful)

Secretariat (great for the whole family; I think they say hell)

The Inheritance (very clean, watched with husband)

Tortilla Soup (I really enjoyed this, fun, may have language)

A Far Off Place (enjoyed)

The Other Sister (has some sexuality, but I enjoyed it because it involved mental handicap)

Cinderellla Man (my husband and I both enjoyed this, language perhaps)

A Beautiful Mind (I really enjoyed this)

Glory Road (very inspirational, sports)

The Family Man (I enjoyed)

Sweet Home Alabama (cute romance, language?)

Slumdog Millionaire (meaningful, loved it)

Quiz Show (loved this)

The Pursuit of Happyness (I loved this, inspirational)

The Four Feathers (my husband and I both loved this)

Miss Austen Regrets (liked it a lot)

Freedom Writers (loved this, teaching movie)

The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn (inspirational)

Duma (fun for the whole family)

The Visitor (I wasn't persuaded to change my stance on our current immigration problems with Mexico, but I still loved the movie)

Here are some of my favorites that I've watched recently:

Disclaimer: I tolerate a little language, and if a bed scene gets too steamy, I fast forward. I don't think these have anything to be real concerned about, but you could always check http://www.screenit.com. I am not thinking of kids when I recommend these, though some may be fine)

Letters to Juliet (cute and fun)

The Blind Side (very inspirational)

The Young Victoria (loved it, moving)

Secretariat (great for the whole family; I think they say hell)

Our family has enjoyed all these. In fact, the girls and I cannot get enough of Letters to Juliet!!!

Gifted Hands, the Ben Carson story with Cuba Gooding Jr. We love this one!

We just watched this last week. *I* loved it, as did the rest of my family. But there are a couple of points to bring up when it comes to appropriateness for children: There's one scene when Carson is a boy (let's call it the "life turnaround scene") that's pretty shocking. We all gasped out loud (don't want to give it away). It's not bad language, or immorality, or even bloody -- just something he does is quite shocking/scary. We had to stop the movie to talk this one through.

And the other point is if you have any extremely queasy children when it comes to blood and body stuff (normal stuff for a movie about a surgeon) -- this might not be the movie for them. We had to literally stop the movie and talk one of our son's down a couple of times ("Breathe deep, breathe slow"). And we had to say, "Don't look ... not yet ... not yet ... not yet .... okay now" a couple of times, too. He got a bit uptight because that kind of thing is just icky to him, extremely so. But he loved the story and wanted to see it through.

Again, *I* loved the movie. I even got some good ideas for homeschooling from it! :001_smile:

Edited by milovaný