Menu

Stick to the Topic - Take 2 - Read THIS one.

What do you spend PER person for food/household expenses? Do NOT include eating out.  

1. 1. What do you spend PER person for food/household expenses? Do NOT include eating out.

• We spend $25-$50 per person per month.
    • We spend $50-$75 per person per month.
    • We spend $75-$100 per person per month.
    • We spend $100 - $125 per person per month.
    • We spend $125-$150 per person per month.
    • We spend in excess of $150 per person per month.

Those are the perameters of the discussion, lol.

Okay:

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50.

1a. How many people does this feed?

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.)

2. How often do you eat out in a month?

3. How often do you shop?

4. What area of the country do you live in?

5. What is the cost of milk where you live?

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger?

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken?

8. The cost of one lb. of apples?

9. Any unusual expenses?

Please, for this purpose, do not include pet food.

Call me curious.

1. We spend about $1050 per month.

1a. This feeds ten people.

1b. That averages $105.00 per person.

2. We eat out about twice per month.

3. We do "real" shopping twice per month, but we "drop by" and pick something up 1-2 times per week OTHER than the actual shopping trips.

4. Pacific Northwest

5. $2.05ish

6. $2 for the cheap, awful stuff. $3 for 80% and $4.49 /lb for angus or 93%

7. Chicken is $1.19 per pound for the whole chicken - so just about $6 for a whole five pound chicken.

8. 99 cents on sale and in season right now.

9. The only unusual expense is that we try to eat pretty healthy - salmon, different cuts of meat, fresh produce, very little canned or packaged.

1. We spend about $1050 per month.

2. We eat out about twice per month.

3. We do "real" shopping twice per month, but we "drop by" and pick something up 1-2 times per week OTHER than the actual shopping trips.

4. Pacific Northwest

5. $2.05ish

6. $2 for the cheap, awful stuff. $3 for 80% and $4.49 /lb for angus or 93%

7. Chicken is $1.19 per pound for the whole chicken - so just about $6 for a whole five pound chicken.

8. 99 cents on sale and in season right now.

9. The only unusual expense is that we try to eat pretty healthy - salmon, different cuts of meat, fresh produce, very little canned or packaged.

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. about $1000

1a. How many people does this feed? 5 (+2 dogs :D)

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? $200

2. How often do you eat out in a month? 4-5 times

3. How often do you shop? weekly

4. What area of the country do you live in? south

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? We buy organic, close to $5 a gallon.

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? about $4 a pound

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? No clue, we buy organic breast/thigh and it is about $4 on average per pound.

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? Don't know that either, we buy by the bag :)

9. Any unusual expenses? Define unusual... umm The game I play had an expansion come out today, so that is a once a year expense. Other than that, not sure? :confused:

Are we doing a research project? :D

Edited by Mynyel

Okay:

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. About $930

1a. How many people does this feed? 8 people

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $116

2. How often do you eat out in a month? None or maybe 1-2 people will eat out occasionally but almost never everyone.

3. How often do you shop? Whenever I feel the need.

4. What area of the country do you live in? Florida.

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $3.29?

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? Usually $3 or so a pound (non-organic) but I rarely buy it at that price.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? I don't know because I never buy them whole. I try to stock up on boneless chicken breast when it is $2 per pound. I use 2 pounds in a meal for 8 of us.

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? Depends on time of year and type of apple. Sometimes they are as low as 99 cents. I think right now they are in the $1.59-1.99 range.

9. Any unusual expenses? Pediasure at times for the little one. Certain things in name brand only for dh. Bottled water for dh last summer - 8 bottles per day!

Call me curious.

Let me say that "household" is a vague word for me because almost everything falls into household here. Food, cleaners, toiletries, paper products, A/C filters (every 2-3 weeks when it is running all the time), school supplies, home maintenance items, etc. For example, the part to fix the dishwasher will be classified as "household." I have recently started splitting medication costs out (price or copays) but everything else (non-pet related) would be household.

If I had less available for food, we would use less. If we had more, I would use more.

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? about $800.

1a. How many people does this feed? 5

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? 125.00 or so

2. How often do you eat out in a month? now organic, trying for "not at all"

3. How often do you shop? every few days

4. What area of the country do you live in? Northwest

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? We buy organic, a little more than $5 a gallon.

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? Don't purchase.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? about $4.00 a lb or so for Organic, pasture fed chicken

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? about $1.50 -$2.00 a lb

9. Any unusual expenses? Well, I buy regular chicken or other products for my dog and purchase cat food for my cats.... We're purchasing all organic now, or as close as I can get.

:)

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50.

$850

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.)

a/o $171

We don't.

2 - 3 times per week (have a wide variety of stores - I tend to buy meat at one store, veggies at another, etc. I go for best food/value)

Midwest - n/w of Chicago

about $3.50

I only buy if $3 or less.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? -

I buy when $1 a lb on sale. Or less.

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? =

$1.29 - 1.99 varies week by week!

9. Any unusual expenses? -

no

Oddly enough, I just had to add everything up for my son's SSI application - five us of were averaging $171 per person per month over five months. That is food, not toiletries. Live n/w of Chicago. Do NOT buy organic. Try not to spend over $3/lb for any meat on sale.

Don't eat out at all. SillyAutismMan can get his fries and pay for them himself twice a month out of SSI. (Most of his SSI goes to rent/utilities/food/medical)

Edited by JFSinIL

1. We spend about $1050 per month. I spend about $800-$900, which feeds 4 of us, averaging $200+ per mo.

2. We eat out about twice per month. We probably eat out 2-3 times a month.

3. We do "real" shopping twice per month, but we "drop by" and pick something up 1-2 times per week OTHER than the actual shopping trips. I shop every week, and also do smaller trips for fresh veggies/milk.

4. Pacific Northwest New England

5. $2.05ish I buy organic, which is $3.99 a half gallon.

6. $2 for the cheap, awful stuff. $3 for 80% and $4.49 /lb for angus or 93% I buy all natural (no antibiotics, etc.) only when it's on sale, and it's about $3.99/lb I think.

7. Chicken is $1.19 per pound for the whole chicken - so just about $6 for a whole five pound chicken. Don't buy whole much; we love thighs and sometimes breasts. I only buy on sale, when thighs are about $2.69 and breasts are $3.99.

8. 99 cents on sale and in season right now. Depends on the season. I like the honey crisp which are over $2/lb, but we pay anywhere between 99 cents and $2 for all the others.

9. The only unusual expense is that we try to eat pretty healthy - salmon, different cuts of meat, fresh produce, very little canned or packaged. I try to buy only all natural (antibiotic/hormone free/etc.) meat/chicken. We only eat each about 1x/week; try to do lots of veggie meals and an occasional pasta. I also purchase toothpaste and shampoo/conditioner w/o SLS, etc.

I have noticed a huge increase in food prices over the last 6 months, at least in this area. Today I went just for the weeks fruit/veg and a few things we were out of and it was over $100 (and I saved about $10 in coupons)

Okay:

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. $400

1a. How many people does this feed? 4

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $100

2. How often do you eat out in a month? As a family, we eat out 1 or 2 times a month. DH eats lunch out Monday through Friday.

3. How often do you shop? weekly

4. What area of the country do you live in? Midwest

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $2.69

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? no idea - we don't eat meat.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? ditto

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? Depends on variety. Sale price last week was $1 a pound for Pink Lady. Granny Smith were $1.29 a pound.

9. Any unusual expenses? We avoid HFCS, hydrogenated oils, and red dye #40. Therefore some organic/natural foods section items.

Call me curious.

$750

1a. How many people does this feed? 6 (plus any friends who happen to be over!)

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $125

2. How often do you eat out in a month? 0 (Really!)

3. How often do you shop? 1x/week

4. What area of the country do you live in? Detroit-metro

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? We get our milk from a milkman. It's non-homogonized, local, organic milk. We pay $2.49/half gallon.

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? I buy organic beef from a local butcher that sells Amish meat. I pay $3/pound.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? Again, bought at the Amish place - $8 or so.

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? Trader Joes organic - $0.80/pound.

9. Any unusual expenses? I don't think so!!!

Call me curious.

I have noticed a huge increase in food prices over the last 6 months, at least in this area. Today I went just for the weeks fruit/veg and a few things we were out of and it was over $100 (and I saved about $10 in coupons)

I've noticed this too. It's frustrating. I used to pay around $600/month and just in the last two months or so, I've spent $750/month. And, I feel like I'm being quite careful and not getting any extras!

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. $600

1a. How many people does this feed? 6 people plus daycare kids

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) a little less than $100 for each family member

2. How often do you eat out in a month? 1 time for everyone together, DH picks up things every now and then

3. How often do you shop? I do big shopping once a month and get everything and fresh fruit and veggies, after it runs out we use canned. Once a week I get milk and bread.

4. What area of the country do you live in? Pacific Northwest

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $2.09-$2.39

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? Non organic is $3.69

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? $1.99/lb not on sale

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? Depends on time of year and type of apple. Sometimes they are as low as 99 cents. Most of the year $1.69-$2.99

9. Any unusual expenses? I do some things name brand only. I have one child severely allergic to milk protein so he drinks rice milk, has special "butter", etc. His milk is $5 a gallon. My husband is diabetic and has just a few special things. We have a few daycare kids too. We don't buy any type of snacks and the only frozen food is corn dogs.

1. This is a total guess. Just groceries, I'm guessing $800/month. I don't have a specific budget, and I switch between WalMart and Kroger. I regularly buy bathroom items, pet supplies, prescriptions, and other household goods, and I honestly don't know how much I spend per month total, much less how much is just groceries.

1. a. 4 people.

1. b. $200/person IF my guess is anywhere in the ballpark.

2. We eat out maybe 3x a month, plus get fast food or pizza 5-6 times a month.

3. I run by the store every couple of days. Sometimes I do a larger shopping, sometimes just pick a few things up.

4. I live in a mid-Atlantic state.

5. I'm thinking milk is $2.50-2.90 for fat free.

6. What's decent? Laura's Ground Beef has increased so as to be cost prohibitive, ~$6/lb. Store brand is maybe $3.50?

7. I have no idea how much a 5 lb. chicken costs.

8. It depends on the kind. The cheap ones (red delicious) are $.99/lb. I've been buying 3 lb. bags of Galas for $4.

9. Unusual? Excessive coffee, creamer, and ice cream expenditures. :D

We spend about $1000 per month for food

This feeds 7 people---6 people who are extremely active and need lots of calories--several exerise about 20 hours per week

We usually eat out 2-3 times a month as a family--several of us will eat out here and there on our own a few more times a month

I shop for produce, meat, bread at the farmer's market or stand 6 times a month, at Costco 1 time every 6 weeks, co-op order ever other month, grocery store every once in a while

I live in California

I think milk is between $3 and $4 a gallon

Hamburger meat was $4 a lb at the farmer's market a few weeks ago.

Not sure how much chicken cost.

I'm not sure how much apples cost---last time we bought apples was by the 20 lb case---shipped from WA---they were about $1 per lb for organic apples

This budget includes building up a food storage--currently I have about 3 months of beans and grains and about 1 month of other stuff.

Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post

Okay:

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. We spend $800 on everything for five people. This includes any eating out, gifts, cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc... so I'm going to guess about $675-$700 on food.

1a. How many people does this feed?two adults, 3 boys

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) roughly $125

2. How often do you eat out in a month? rarely... maybe once or twice a month, but pretty cheaply... pizza or something.

3. How often do you shop? I do a big trip about 2-3 times a month, we go back for fruit, milk, bread, salad

4. What area of the country do you live in? Virginia

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? Regular milk is $3.50 a gallon, organic is $6 or more

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? $5

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? No clue. I'm allergic to chicken. I don't buy it.

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? For the yucky apples? I can get a 3lb bag for $4, so $1.25 for yucky apples. The nice apples are sold seperately for $1 each. Organic apples are about $3-$4 a pound

9. Any unusual expenses? Just in that I don't eat chicken.

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. Typically about $800

1a. How many people does this feed? 5

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) Around $160 per person - but we don't budget. I just buy what we need/want.

2. How often do you eat out in a month?Probably 8 times, plus Bud eats out for lunch almost every day - this is for business, but it's his own business, so we still pay for it

3. How often do you shop? typically twice a week

4. What area of the country do you live in? DFW, Texas

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? I don't know?

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? I think the lean stuff is around $3.99. I used to buy buffal instead for $4.99, but then it went up to $7.99. Now I avoid ground meat.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? I have no idea

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? Again, no idea. Oh, I do buy the small ones for DS's sack lunch, and get them 3 for 99 cents.

9. Any unusual expenses? I do tend to purchase organic, particulary dairy and meat.

I'm fortunate not to have to budget or watch this too carefully (for now anyway). I'm quite sure I could cut way back if need be.

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. $200

1a. How many people does this feed? 3-2 Adults and 1 child on a very restricted diet

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $66

2. How often do you eat out in a month? once/twice?

3. How often do you shop? whenever I need to-I use cash though and once it is gone, it is gone-no more shopping

4. What area of the country do you live in? NorthWest Alabama

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? approx $3/gallon

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? at our butcher-$1.20lb

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? $5?

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? $1.20lb if not on sale

9. Any unusual expenses? I can't think of any since it is all worked into our budget for this or that.

what's eating out? Dd and I will sneak some sushi about 2x a month, and it's 10 for both of us so 20$

once a week, but I'll run back if I have to

North East (NJ)

regular 3.70

Costoc hormone free 2.75

organic 5.00

store hormone free 4.00

raw is outlawed here

3.00 (2.89)

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken?

purdue oven stuffer 9.00

organic fryer 9.00

organic free range 30.00

8. The cost of one lb. of apples?

9. Any unusual expenses?

umm... not that I know

Call me curious.

:tongue_smilie:

1. We spend about $724 per month.

1a. This feeds eight people.

1b. That averages $90.50 per person.

2. We eat out about once a week, cheap sandwiches or more expensive Chinese takeout.

3. We do "real" shopping once per week.

4. Pacific Northwest

5. ? but we buy 8 gals per WEEK!

6. ?

7. ?

8. ?

9. The only unusual expense is that we try to eat pretty healthy - salmon, different cuts of meat, fresh produce, very little canned or packaged. We buy 80%-90% of our food at Costco.

My shopping budget is $250 a week for a family of 4.

The Aussie dollar is on par with the U.S. dollar at the moment.

Milk is about $5 a gallon

Apples would be $2.70 a pound

I think we pay more for food here- even than on the east coast of Australia.

Still, we eat a lot of fruit and veg and shop at Farmers Markets and buy a fair amount of organic and still manage on $250 a month, quite well. We always shop for bargains and seasonal produce, and dont buy much meat.

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. approximately $1200

1a. How many people does this feed? 7 (3 adults, 1 teen, 3 children)

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $171

2. How often do you eat out in a month? depends - usually 1-2 times per week (1 dinner, 1 lunch)...usually inexpensive.

3. How often do you shop? weekly + a few run-in trips

4. What area of the country do you live in? SouthEast

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? approx. $3-$3.60 for regular 2%

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? ground chuck: $2.99/lb; ground sirloin $4.49 ....can usually get them on sale at one of the grocery stores though.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? $5 regular price, although I only buy them when they are on sale for .49 cents/pound

8. The cost of one lb. of apples?%1.49

9. Any unusual expenses? The kids primarily drink almond milk or coconut milk ($2.50/half gallon) or water. Regular milk is primarily used for dh's cereal or for cooking.

Call me curious.

Edited by MamaAkins

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. $300

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $75/person

2. How often do you eat out in a month? once or twice for all of us, but that estimate might be low (I could be in denial). Maybe 4 times a month with just dc and myself, usually McD's, because we can eat cheaply there.

3. How often do you shop? Usually one trip for the majority of grocery/household needs, with smaller trips later in the month as needed, as long as there is still money in the budget.

4. What area of the country do you live in? SW Ohio

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $2.39/gallon

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? $1.89/lb is a pretty good sale

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? don't know

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? don't know

9. Any unusual expenses? contact lens solution (can't buy multipurpose, have to buy more expensive stuff)

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50.Approximately $650

1a. How many people does this feed? 5-6

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) It depends on whether the older boys are home from college, but in an average month it equals $108.

2. How often do you eat out in a month? 4-5 times

3. How often do you shop? 2x/week

4. What area of the country do you live in? Western New York

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $1.79/gallon (LOVE Wegmans!)

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? $2.49

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? I don't buy whole chickens, but the cost for 5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts would be $10.COLOR]

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? 1.29ish

9. Any unusual expenses? No

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. around $1500 a month

1a. How many people does this feed? 8

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) around $200 each

2. How often do you eat out in a month? sit down very rarely, carry out probably once a week, and dh buys lunch around 3 days a week

3. How often do you shop? every 2-3 days

4. What area of the country do you live in? DC metro

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $3.29

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? no idea- never buy it

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? I'll buy boneless skinless breast when they are $2/lb but never a whole chicken.

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? $1.67/lb organic at my food co-op (the nonorganic ones are $1.99/lb at the local store)

9. Any unusual expenses? other than dh's expensive coffee I can't think of any- he's super picky about his coffee

Okay:

Approx $850

1a. How many people does this feed? 6, including 3 adults and 1 teen.

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $150ish

2. How often do you eat out in a month? Maybe 2x

3. How often do you shop? Weekly

4. What area of the country do you live in? Northern Cal- high COL

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $4, non organic

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? $5 organic

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? $10 organic on sale

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? $2 organic, in season

9. Any unusual expenses? This doesn't include ds10's medical formula, but it does include another adult we currently have living with us.

Call me curious.

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. $500

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $125

2. How often do you eat out in a month? once or twice

3. How often do you shop? every 7 - 10 days

4. What area of the country do you live in? Western PA

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $3.60

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? $3

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? $6

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? $1.50 - $2

9. Any unusual expenses? Not that I can think of.

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. - roughly $600

1a. How many people does this feed? 5-ish...Technically the 19month old eats a lot less than the rest of us (2 adults, 2 children that can outeat the 2 adults and then the 19month old) but my SO picks up the slack on the extra food that doesn't get eaten LOL...

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $120

2. How often do you eat out in a month? Not much, if at all...

3. How often do you shop? Once a week

4. What area of the country do you live in? Midwest I would assume

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $3.50 a gallon or so...Only my SO and the 19month old drink it

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? We normally buy pork, chicken or turkey (3yo can't eat beef) but for the occasional pound of hamburger it's like $3 a pound

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? The chicken we buy is like a $1 a pound on sale and $2 a pound normally, so between $5-$10

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? Sale apples are $1 a pound, apples just normally priced anywhere from like $1.30-$3 a pound

9. Any unusual expenses? Gluten free, limited dairy, more meat than most people, various odd food intolerances

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. $600ish

1a. How many people does this feed? 3

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) $200

2. How often do you eat out in a month? We've cut way back lately for some reason. Too cold out or something I guess. It probably averages to only about 2x per week for dinner. But the 8yo and I often stop for lunch or breakfast somewhere 1 or twice a week as well.

3. How often do you shop? About once a week.

4. What area of the country do you live in? Long Island

5. What is the cost of milk where you live?$3 something for a half gallon organic

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? I don't know - we don't eat red meat.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? I don't really know, I don't pay much attention to it I guess. If we need it, I just get it. I guess around $6 or so.

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? $1.99

9. Any unusual expenses? No. We get mainly produce, dairy, yogurt, eggs and meat. I don't buy cleaning supplies, paper towels/napkins, cereal, or much boxed/convience food with the exception of bread, Stove Top, pancake mix, peanut butters, spaghetti sauce, pre made frosting if making cake or something.

I do make it to the Commissary about once a month or so. When I'm there I try and stock up on dry goods and get a couple things of organic milk, so that really helps keep our costs down. However their produce section is pretty small, nothing organic and what they do have often isn't great, so I don't get much there.

Call me curious.

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. - Approximately $1000 per month

1a. How many people does this feed? - 4

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) - $250

2. How often do you eat out in a month? - Sit down dinner four times a year, fast food maybe once a week.

3. How often do you shop? - Once a week

4. What area of the country do you live in? - Middle TN

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? - I don't know about regular milk but the milk I buy is $5.99 a galloon

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? About $3 (?) I think.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? - I have no idea

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? - IDK

9. Any unusual expenses? - DD's are vegetarians and growing teens. They eat lots of fruits, veggies, nuts, berries & grains plus a not insignificant amount of cheese, yogurt, penut better, etc.

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. $900

1a. How many people does this feed? 7

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? $128

2. How often do you eat out in a month? 3-4 times

3. How often do you shop? 1 co-op order, 1 Costco order, 2 grocery trips

4. What area of the country do you live in? SoCal

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $6.09/gal for organic, $3.59 for regular

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? about $4 a pound

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? $3 when they are on sale

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? 99 cents to $3 depending on type and time of year

9. Any unusual expenses? I buy many things in bulk through my co-op (like 50 lbs. of oats at a time.)

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. $400

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) ~$100 per person, but truly less than that because about $100 per month goes toward stocking our dry goods (we keep about a years supply on hand at all times).

2. How often do you eat out in a month? Twice as a family.

3. How often do you shop? Once per month.

4. What area of the country do you live in? East (TN)

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? $3.00 roughly?

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? We buy grass fed steers from friends and have them processed, so I have no idea.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? Again, no clue. We raise our own free range meat chickens.

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? Fuji are about $4 a bag, I think. (We have apple trees too. LOL)

9. Any unusual expenses? Nope. But we do buy a lot in bulk at Sams and we grow a lot of our own food and put it away - so things like tomatoes (tomato sauce, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, salsa, etc), broccoli, corn, squash, etc. are canned or frozen in the summer after harvest. All of our meat is organic and we either raise it or trade with friends who raise it. We have chickens about 3 times a year, we have done pigs once (last year) and are still eating the pork. We do not buy store-bought meat at all. Dh makes 80% of the bread we eat.

Edited by Tree House Academy

1. What do you spend on groceries and household each month? Round to the nearest $50. We spend about $1000/month on food

1a. How many people does this feed? Feeds four.

1b. So what is your per person allocated budget? (The total per month divided by the people it supplies.) About $250/person

2. How often do you eat out in a month? About once a month.

3. How often do you shop? about once or twice a week. We also have a box of organic fruits and vegies delivered every two weeks.

4. What area of the country do you live in? Sourthern California

5. What is the cost of milk where you live? More than $5 - we buy organic.

6. The cost of a decent pound of hamburger? Don't buy it.

7. The cost of a 5 lb. chicken? Don't buy it.

8. The cost of one lb. of apples? Usually about $2/lb.; but on sale can get them for 99 cents.

9. Any unusual expenses? We try to buy organic dairy and fruits and vegies. We try to have half of what we eat at home be fruits and vegies. We have a box of organic produce delivered once every two weeks. We really, really try to not feed our kids low quality, inexpensive ingredients (like top ramen). When my husband shops, he does not look at prices and comes home with blackberries, blueberries, etc. when they are out-of-season. That does add to our bill, but we all love him for it!:lol:

Call me curious.

1. We spend about $724 per month.

1a. This feeds eight people.

1b. That averages $90.50 per person.

9. The only unusual expense is that we try to eat pretty healthy - salmon, different cuts of meat, fresh produce, very little canned or packaged. We buy 80%-90% of our food at Costco.

We've just bought a membership at Costco at the beginning of the month. Assuming we don't come home with any unintended electronics, etc., it looks like it is going to save us quite a bit on meat. We'll break even on fruits/veg, but now will be eating organic instead of non-organic. Amazing to me.