Menu

Grandmother name question

I grew up with grandparents, greatgrandparents, and stepgrands & stepgreatgrands:

Grandma *last name* (though she wanted us to call her by her first name or Ms *last name* if in public)

Granddad

Grandma and Grandpa *last name* (but just Grandpa and Grandma when with them)

Mammaw

Bapaw and Nana (Nahnah)

Papa and Mama (Mehmeh)

Grandma *first name*

For my kids, there is:

Great Grandma *last name*

Grandma and Grandpa *same last name*

Grandma and Grandpa *last name* (these are greats)

Grandma *first name* (divorced and doesn't like to use her last name)

Papa and Nana (Nanna)

Greatgrandpa *first name* and Greatgrandma *first name*

Granddad

Any grandmother at church (theirs or not) is Yiayia. (yahyah)

My advice: ask them what they would like the baby to call you ;)

I don't think I even have that many relatives. ;) I'd be lost in your family. Although I will say that keeping mental track of my dad's ex-wives is a chore.

My mom is Mimi. She didn't like Grandma and Nana was taken. No, it wouldn't be weird for you to have another baby. I have an uncle who is 3 years old than I am. My mom is the oldest and had me at 18. My grandmother was finished with 5 but could have had babies for another 6 years or so.

Congrats anyway. I hope everything works out!

I don't think I even have that many relatives. ;) I'd be lost in your family. Although I will say that keeping mental track of my dad's ex-wives is a chore.

Ditto here...and then trying to explain how all of us siblings are related to each other due to the multiple marriages...you have wholes, halves on one side, halves on another side, halves of your halves but not step, and steps (and if you are way over at one end you have the halves of the halves of the halves). Good grief! Everyone is simply auntie or uncle to my kids, even the cousin's mother who never married my brother (it's just easier that way and I like her better than my brother). Then cousins...I don't even try to explain those. You can't throw a rock in SC without hitting one, so they are all cousins.

Edited by mommaduck

For step grands my kids call by just their first name. Except my mom married a man whose last name was Drew, and my kids called him Doo Doo. He seemed to like it.................

For step-grands, both my dad and now ex-wife opted to go with Grandma/Grandpa followed by their first names.

I have had a Grandma, Grandma (name), Nana, Ba, Grandmother (sweetest lady ever). My mom is a Mima (Memaw) and MIL is Grandma (name). All my granddad's have been either Granddad or Granddaddy and we just added the name if needed for clarity. FIL was Grandpa to the other grandkids but unfortunately passed on before ours were born. Dh wants to be Papaw when he has grandkids.

I'm going to be MaBelle.

I love it :D My dad's mom, who died before I was born, was called Ma(our last name) by everyone, the kids and grandkids alike. She also had 11 kids and my dad was the youngest. He has many nieces and nephews all around his age. It never seemed a problem. I'm 49 out of 52 grandchildren!

I got on to post a name I hadn't seen yet. My aunt didn't want any of the normal Grandma names, so when her grandchildren started arriving they called her "Marmee" like in "Little Women."

My kids call my mother "Grandma," they call my husband's step-mother "Grandma Ginger" (Ginger is her first name), and they call my husband's mother "Bubbe" (pronounced bubby, it's a Jewish thing).

My oldest niece calls my mother "Nana."

And when my grandmother was alive, I called her "Nanny."

I wanted Nana but I have a dd who goes by Nana (nickname based on her name). My dgs took that to mean aunt though and now he calls all the girls except for one Nana. I clearly did not think through the consequences of calling the one dd Nana as a nickname.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we just called our Grandmas by Grandma [first name]. One passed when I was 6, so after that, unless talking specifically about the one who passed, we just said Grandma.

Both Grandfathers passed before my sister or I were born.

My father is called Gramps by his grandkids though (his step-grand kids).

My Mom decided to have my children call her GrandSacky (her name is Sacky).

You could do the same and play around with your first name and have them call you "Grandnica".

Personally I want my future grandbabies to call me "Precious".

It will do wonders for my self-esteem.:D

Grand children tend to come up with their own version of your name..sometimes it is cuter than whatever you can come up with.

In this case I would think the child might not be ready to jump in and call you Grandma right away...but offer than he/she can call you Grandma ( first name) or Grandma( last name) whatever they are comfortable with makes the most sense to me.

:iagree: but would also add that you should let the child's mother decide if you're a grandmother. I actually live with two awkward situations where someone who is not a grandparent expects to be called "Grandpa/ma"...um, no, my kids have enough grandparents.

BTW, this doesn't mean you can't have a place in the child's life...just it might not be 'grandma', KWIM?

:grouphug: We have two "Grandmas" around here. One is "Grandma H." and the other is "Grandma K." That's how it was when I was growing up, too. I called both grandmothers "Grandma".

:iagree: I never heard of another name for a grandma until I moved south. I thought ALL grandmas were called Grandma. I'll be Grandma H. Can't stand Mimi. I like Nana. But Grandma is just fine with me, even if there are six others.

(course is sounds more like "Gramma")

Funny aside: I have friends named Randy and Nola. Their grandkids all them "Grandy" and "GraNola." LOL I think it's so cute! If I could come up with something unique like that, I'd use it. "Grisa" doesn't quite cut it.

Edited by katemary63

My kids have a MaMa & PaPa, Gingy & Papa Joe, & Papa Collins. Growing up my grandmothers were Granny & Other Mama (though in true southern fashion this one is pronounced more like uh-thuh-mama - all one word). Other Mama was named by her first granddaughter, who was only 2 years younger than my dad (the baby of the family). My dad thought his niece was his sister for the longest time! So not weird at all having the generations overlap a bit!

Well, this is our experience with Grandmother, fwiw.

Some ppl love it and some ppl hate it. It elicits comment in a way that I've never known another name for a grandmother to do.

My brilliant idea was to call my mom Grandmother until my daughter tried to say it. She wouldn't be able to say Grandmother, of course, b/c she'd just be a baby and instead, she'd say something cute. Whatever that cute thing would be is what we'd call my mom. Good idea, right?

Well, no. My daughter wouldn't call my mom anything. She would point at her and gesture for her but while she would say mommy and daddy she couldn't say grandmother and wouldn't try . . . until she could actually say the entire word correctly.

So, it stuck and we call her Grandmother.

I've never known things like grandma, granny, mimi and the like to elicit comment from strangers (maybe b/c that's not what we use) but ppl often comment on grandmother.

and it seems to be love or hate with no middle. "Oh, 'Grandmother' is so beautiful and old-fashioned." or "You make your kid say "Grandmother?'"

How do we like it? Well, we like it. My daughter says she can't imagine calling her anything else and my mom likes it (now) b/c it's unique around here. No one we know uses it. In fairness I'll say she hated it at first b/c there was nothing from my girlie. She wouldn't say anything at first so my mom really hated that. Later, when it "took," she liked it.

When I started having children all my grandparents were living. We called them Grandma/Grandpa (last name). Since it was confusing to have multiple grandparents with that name we started our parents as Grandma/Grandpa (first name).

I've heard many substitutes: Memaw (mee-maw), Marmar, Mawmaw, but my favorites are the ones based on family nationality. A good friend remarried after her children grew up. Because it was hard on her adult children (they already had a father and grandfather for their children) he goes by Morphar...Swedish for grandfather.

I like Avia, but if you want something more personal you can always look up Grandmother for your nationality/one of your nationalities.