Menu

Help me calm DH

Giraffe

A little background:

DD is 3 1/2. She attends Montessori school in the mornings - for learning and socialization (we're new to the area and can't seem to plug in anywhere). In the afternoons we read books, do puzzles, she helps with laundry and dinner, we play. Her favorite place in the world is the bookstore. Her second favorite is the library (second only because she has to be quiet there).

DH was playing with her last night and she pulled out a number/peg manipulative from MFW that is made by Lauri. It's part of their "preschool package" - gentle introductions to numbers and letters through play. They were playing together and she couldn't count in sequence from 1 to 10 consistently. DH freaked out.

DD knows most of the numbers 1-10, can identify most of the arabic numerals and can identify the number of pegs necessary to make up that number. She's not so good at counting - and I think that's just because she's being silly, honestly. She gets that glint in her eye when we start with the counting and intentionally (I believe) mixes up the numbers.

DH is convinced she's behind developmentally and we need to start working on this ASAP. I think he's being unnecessarily worried, but thought I'd ask the Hive, just in case. I've been concentrating on letters and words and reading, not math, FWIW.

Advice?

A little background:

DD is 3 1/2. She attends Montessori school in the mornings - for learning and socialization (we're new to the area and can't seem to plug in anywhere). In the afternoons we read books, do puzzles, she helps with laundry and dinner, we play. Her favorite place in the world is the bookstore. Her second favorite is the library (second only because she has to be quiet there).

DH was playing with her last night and she pulled out a number/peg manipulative from MFW that is made by Lauri. It's part of their "preschool package" - gentle introductions to numbers and letters through play. They were playing together and she couldn't count in sequence from 1 to 10 consistently. DH freaked out.

DD knows most of the numbers 1-10, can identify most of the arabic numerals and can identify the number of pegs necessary to make up that number. She's not so good at counting - and I think that's just because she's being silly, honestly. She gets that glint in her eye when we start with the counting and intentionally (I believe) mixes up the numbers.

DH is convinced she's behind developmentally and we need to start working on this ASAP. I think he's being unnecessarily worried, but thought I'd ask the Hive, just in case. I've been concentrating on letters and words and reading, not math, FWIW.

Advice?

3-1/2? Is that the only concern? (I wouldn't even consider that a concern at that age.) Unless you have other reasons to suspect some sort of delay, I would just keep on doing what you're doing. Count pegs, fingers, toes, cereal, M&Ms, whatever. She'll get it.

That's perfectly normal, developmentally.

My 4 year old didn't count AT ALL or know any numbers at 3.5. He now can count to 10 at 4. I had to work with him on it. It's also normal to move numbers around or skip numbers. Both my oldest and my middle sons skipped '7' for a long time. My oldest is great at math, doing multiplication in his head in early first grade. So skipping '7' didn't hurt him any. ;) My 4 year old is now starting to get some basic 2 + 1 = 3 type stuff. He's behind what his brother did, but he's still very much in normal developmental range. They really don't have to be able to count to 10 consistently until they're starting K, I believe? And I'm sure if she's counting at all now, she'll easily be counting to 10 and beyond by K. There is a HUGE difference between now and 1.5 years from now. Really huge.

Just remind him that she is 3 1/2. No need to worry about that now. Let her have fun and not stressed about what she is "supposed to know" at a certain age. She'll likely pick it up very easily without really working on it, iykwim. We were always counting things around the house and singing numbers songs, and at some point it just clicked with my kids. Most likely it will happen soon for your DD. I wouldn't even worry about it for a year or two.

Maybe someone can recommend a good book for your DH to read, something that would convince him that it is OK not to start "school" with her now, and that she is really doing alright....? I don't have a suggestion for that, but hopefully someone else can list a few books. Sometimes it helps to read up on these things to feel better, I know that is what I usually do. :) HTH!

Edited by blakereese

Maybe someone can recommend a good book for your DH to read, something that would convince him that it is OK not to start "school" with her now, and that she is really doing alright....? I don't have a suggestion for that, but hopefully someone else can list a few books. Sometimes it helps to read up on these things to feel better, I know that is what I usually do. :) HTH!

WTM has good info on what to do when. ;)

At 3 1/2, this is really a non issue. Tell dh that when she is 5 1/2, if she is not able to do this, he can worry.;)

:iagree:It's pretty developmentally normal. My 4 1/2 yo sometimes still does that, only now it's in the teens. It'll move up the number line, so to speak, for a while until she really masters the whole pattern. My Mom teaches K & says that when her kids say "twenty-ten" she does skip counting by 10s with them. It's a process, getting all those numbers in the right order. Especially if she likes to be silly. She'll be fine!

My son is begging to do some emotocons:

:chillpill::lurk5::iagree::confused:

I agree with everyone else that she is fine and it will come in time. No big deal. However, just out of curiosity, are you talking about counting like reciting numbers of counting actual objects? For what it's worth the ability to do one to one correspondence is a 4.5 year old skill (my dh is a special ed teacher and he laughed when I read this to him :)).

WTM has good info on what to do when. ;)

I was thinking maybe something on child development....I know I read a few books back in the day, but I can't come up with anything off the top of my head. I know my DH liked to read things like this when our oldest was a toddler, just to see what to expect at each age and when skills are usually mastered.

I'm no help! :lol:

OP, no worries. Your DD is normal. Hakuna matata. ;)

At 3.5yo they should be working on counting however I wouldn't expect it to be mastered (to the point I would worry if they did not) until they were around 5 or 5.5yo. Sure, some kids can count by rote at 3.5yo from 1 - 10 and even fewer can count with one to one correspondence up to 10 but they are the exception, not the rule. In short this is a skill she should be working on just with in her environment not something she should already have mastered. Just count with her every chance you get. Count socks while folding laundry, count red cars in traffic, count forks while setting the table, count birds on the page in a picture book....it's so easy at this age to do living math. You shouldn't need a separate lesson time for it, you should easily be able to weave it into your day.

My dh was the same way. He used to work with a guy, who had a son slightly older than dd. At that time my dd was about 18 mo or so. The little boy was about 2 to 2 1/2. So, the guy would come to work and brag about his son counting to 40. My dh would come home and tell me that our dd need to get with the plan. I would just say "sure". Then, one day I asked him to ask his co-worker how many languages his boy can speak. That was the end of his bragging. Now my dh is more relaxed, but freaks out some time. It is normal and my dd now 5 can count and do math without problem. All things considered I much rather concentrate in letters and words than in numbers. If she cannot master letters she will not master anything at all.

If it makes you feel better, I still can't get my ds, 8yo 2nd grader, to use teen names for numbers. We cover them daily. If I use him he knows what I am talking about. I suspected he was being stubborn and finally on Thursday he admitted he thought they were stupid names and base 10 counting makes so much more sense (one ten one, one ten two, one ten three....). My 8yo taking a philosophical stance on the names of numbers...what is he going to be like in his teens? :blink:

I figure real life will set in sometime and he will get over it.

At 3.5 you don't worry, let them have the freedom to be kids.

Heather

Hmmmm...my 3 yro is still having pee accidents and last night, she tried to eat one of the settlements pieces from Settlers of Catan.

:D Trust me, you're good!

I am a huge supporter of unschooling with young children. Could you google "unschooling"? There's a bunch of websites - a lot of them have great suggestions on "fun" activities to do with small children.

FWIW, my oldest daughter didn't know her numbers past 10 or letter sounds when she entered public school Kindergarten and half-way through the year, she was identified as gifted. :smilielol5: (almost like a Monty Python skit, eh?)

Thank you everyone. DH gets on these kicks and I have to just stay calm - he's so adorable when he's in a swivet.

DD can count 1-10 by recitation. She has a hard time making one-to-one correspondence with objects and counting sequentially. I truly believe this is a non-issue but just wanted to check with the Hive to be sure. I worked with her yesterday and she recognizes the numbers, matched the arabic numeral with the correct number of pegs and she has a 3 1/2 yo's attention span - about 5 minutes. She also knows when she's being asked to "perform" and will refuse to do so and start acting silly. You've got to catch her in the moment.

And to one of the posters - she's trying to read. Truly. She's a little scary.

DH is convinced she's behind developmentally and we need to start working on this ASAP.

Advice?

Honestly, this would send huge alarm bells off in my head.....about hubby. He needs to put himself out to learn the normal development of children, some boundaries between his ego and his child as an extension of his achievement, and, well, how to have fun.

Wow. She's THREE.

I am of the mindset that when it comes to academics, a preschooler simply cannot be behind. I'm sorry your husband feels that way. It's hard to say, "Don't worry about it" when it is a huge concern for your husband, as that makes it stressful for you too. If it makes you feel any better, my son still peed his pants at 3 1/2 and couldn't write his name, let alone count. Your husband would have thought something was wrong with him, lol. I'm happy to say my little boy is 7 now & excelling academically. I hope you find a solution that works best for your little girl. She sounds like she's doing wonderful.:grouphug:

Susan

Edited by susankenny

Honestly, this would send huge alarm bells off in my head.....about hubby. He needs to put himself out to learn the normal development of children, some boundaries between his ego and his child as an extension of his achievement, and, well, how to have fun.

Yeah, he can get a little over the top sometimes. Luckily I can usually calm him down. It truly isn't an ego thing with him, it's that he just doesn't understand what kids can and can't do at different stages. And getting him to understand developmental stages is difficult. He is a classic "absent-minded professor". He'll hear something somewhere and go off on a tangent. They usually pass in time.

She still has potty accidents. All. The. Time. :tongue_smilie: Actually, I think that's the issue - her brain is ahead of her body. She could probably stand to stay longer in school (she's in the morning-only program) and wants to stay, but she's just not ready physically.

Our plan has always been to afterschool (DH doesn't support exclusive home-schooling) - I should probably do more, mixing it in with the play.

Yeah, he can get a little over the top sometimes. Luckily I can usually calm him down. It truly isn't an ego thing with him, it's that he just doesn't understand what kids can and can't do at different stages. And getting him to understand developmental stages is difficult. He is a classic "absent-minded professor". He'll hear something somewhere and go off on a tangent. They usually pass in time.

She still has potty accidents. All. The. Time. :tongue_smilie: Actually, I think that's the issue - her brain is ahead of her body. She could probably stand to stay longer in school (she's in the morning-only program) and wants to stay, but she's just not ready physically.

Our plan has always been to afterschool (DH doesn't support exclusive home-schooling) - I should probably do more, mixing it in with the play.

I think that's a great idea. Count the socks as she helps with the laundry, count puzzle pieces, etc. It's not urgent that she get this, but the foundation can be laid through play.

I also have a 3.5 year old who gets "silly" if he thinks he's being asked to perform, too. We call him the Warner Bros. frog. :tongue_smilie: