Menu

Empty sac early on = definite miscarriage?

Had my first OBGYN appointment today. I'm officially 7 weeks and 1 day along. Because of past complications he did a transvaginal ultrasound, and all that could be seen was a small (6mm) gestational sac with nothing visible inside. He wants to get some HCG levels, and do a second ultrasound in 10 days. But since he also told me that with such a small sac I wouldn't need a d&c, he obviously thinks I'm going to miscarry. :crying:

I've had losses before, and you'd think that would make it easier to bear. The truth is my heart is breaking. I haven't given up on this baby, but I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst. Does anyone have words of wisdom, stories, or comfort to share?

I believe I was told the same about Olivia at 8 weeks gestation... and here she is at a happy, healthy 6 yrs old!!

So hang in there.... prayer and positive thoughts!! And for the record Dr's have been wrong before. I m/c'd my 3rd child and didn't wait the prescribed year to conceive. My Dr was such an @$$, when he couldn't find anything, said it was my fault and that it would happen again. She is now 13 :D

I'm so sorry. I hope that you DO get good news after all, you never know! But if you don't, I hope that you conceive again quickly and have a wonderful pregnancy resulting in a baby that you are meant to have. I had an empty sac, or "blighted ovum," just before getting pregnant with my now 10 y/o. Nothing ever developed in the sac and I did have to have a D&C. It is very disappointing and sad of course, although for me it was not as 'sad' as if a baby HAD developed and then miscarried. And as soon as I was given the go ahead to try again, I did, and was able to conceive again very quickly, and went on to have a wonderful pregnancy and a beautiful, healthy baby who is now 10 years old and who I couldn't imagine life without. :grouphug:

Had my first OBGYN appointment today. I'm officially 7 weeks and 1 day along. Because of past complications he did a transvaginal ultrasound, and all that could be seen was a small (6mm) gestational sac with nothing visible inside.

I have heard of women who have absorbed and then gotten pregnant the next month so they were four-six weeks behind what they thought was their due date. If this was the case you'd only see a sac. I'm relieved he isn't pressuring you into anything and that he wants to wait a little while and do another ultrasound. Thank God for conscientious doctors. I've had two miscarriages and I don't know why I was surprised by the deep sadness and loss I felt either??? I should have expected to be heartbroken but I was still surprised at how much you mourn the loss of a tiny person you've never met or known.

((((HUGS))))

Edited by BlsdMama

I had an empty sac at 11 weeks, but was able to miscarry at home. The next month I had another early miscarriage, and 2 weeks after that I conceived my 4 year old.

She is the love of my life, and I would not change one hair on her sassy little head.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It is just heartbreaking.

My dear friend in CA was told this a month ago, by two doctors - one being at the ultrasound at 8 weeks. Both docs offerred her a D&C.

She saw a different OB last week, who said he thought the pregnancy looked to be progressing normally.

She goes back in today for confirmation - but from what we have both read - it is really too early to tell until 10 weeks - many people have said that they were told this and had a normal delivery. I would wait it out a bit, and get rechecked. I don't want to get your hopes up - but I do think docs jump on the diagnosis a bit fast.

:grouphug:

I've been in your shoes. Twice, actually. The first time, the HCG levels didn't go up, and it was a blighted ovum. I did miscarry.

The second time, I went back a week later for another ultrasound, and there was my ds! The doctor was surprised. My due date was eventually moved back a week, as it seemed I conceived later than expected.

So I think it can still go either way for you. I'll be praying.

Wendi

It's looking more and more like I'm having a miscarriage. I started spotting yesterday, and I also found out my hcg levels are on the extremely low end of normal. I go in for another levels check tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic, especially since I am certain of my dates.

Just trying to be thankful for another little soul in heaven. Thank you for your prayers and kind words. They mean a lot!

<<<hugs>>>

Your blood levels, over time, will be the best indication of the health of a pregnancy at this stage.

I'm glad your OB is being conservative and giving it time, you are still in that gray area from everything I have experienced.

I'm hoping your dates are just off.

We were posting at the same time...I am very sorry.

Edited by melmichigan

It's looking more and more like I'm having a miscarriage. I started spotting yesterday, and I also found out my hcg levels are on the extremely low end of normal. I go in for another levels check tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic, especially since I am certain of my dates.

Just trying to be thankful for another little soul in heaven. Thank you for your prayers and kind words. They mean a lot!