Menu

TOG rollcall!

What made you decide with Unit 3 instead of Unit 1? :)

First, I knew I wanted to go half-pace because she is little and we've got a lot of other stuff planned for the year, so that means only 2 units for the entire year for us. Second, we are crafty/project people and I know we will want to do a good bit of that and she needs 100% help with most of it at this point b/c she is so young. So, it will be time-intensive for me.

She's little and we live in Northern VA, my sis lives in Williamsburg. We can travel easily to a lot of the colonial sites and even head north to NY pretty easily. I want her first year of history to be fairly relatable to her own life via where we live, I want her to have very tactile, real life experiences via field trips and... I know that period of history the best so it is the least scary for me to start with! :tongue_smilie:

We are going to be doing a year long geography study starting with our neighborhood, town, state, country (in general) and then moving on to Expedition Earth via Confessions of a Homeschooler. I think starting geography while simultaneously studying the same areas in our history study will help.

What do I know, though? I'm a total newbie who is probably over-planning and over-thinking things - she is only going to be a 6 year old first grader! :chillpill:

We will start a classical cycle in 2nd grade... I think.

Edited by BBG580

You will probably get more replies if you post this on the K-8 Curriculum Board. Just a suggestion. :001_smile:

We are half way through our 3rd year with TOG. We started with Year 1 UG when eldest ds was in 5th grade. He's on Year 3 Dialect now.

I don't use it with the younger boys (K4 and 2nd grade). I use SOTW with them. They will begin TOG when they are in 5th grade.

So who here is using TOG?

What year are you using? Year 2

What year(s) have you used in the past? Year 1 and the second 1/2 of year 3

What age students are you using it with? I have a D level 6th grader, a LG level 2nd grader, and a preK/Ker who does more map work than my 2nd grader does:tongue_smilie:

:)

I love TOG. We started using it when my oldest was in 1st grade....but I had just given birth and couldn't handle the Classic and all the choices (I had a hard time whittling all the good stuff down). So we stopped TOG after the first unit, and I moved on to SOTW and a year of Sonlight for early American history. Once we got to the Civil War, I went back to using TOG for my oldest's 4th grade spring semester. Then we started the rotation again with TOG year 1 last year.

It isn't a perfect curriculum, but it is closest to embodying what I want for my children.

That'd be me. . . . .

5th year with TOG: we're cycling back around to Year 3, and can I just say it is AMAZING to see the connections my R son is making after hitting all this stuff at a lower level. There is hope, ladies!

Anyways, I've obviously covered TOG at all levels. This year I've got 4 students - R,D,UG, and LG. Sure makes printing SAP's easy :)

And on another, encouraging note: my eldest is right now preparing for a prestigious scholarship competition at a local university - she's up for full tuition. She's reading and analyzing an essay by Jean-Paul Sartre, using techniques and the love of learning that I attribute to our use of TOG for her high school years.

I'm not as "vocal" as Tina (johnandtinagilbert) - she has amazing insights, if you're not over on the K-8 board you should get there and just search her posts; they're amazing! But I'm happy to offer help if anyone needs any.

Have a great night!

Planning for the '11/'12 school year, we will begin in July.

Me too!

I'll be doing year 4 with a 5th grade boy, 2nd grade girl... thankfully I have a friend IRL who will also be doing year 4 with similar ages, so we hope to combine some field trips & unit celebrations... :-D

We did classic year 1 in K/3rd and loved it!

That'd be me. . . . .

5th year with TOG: we're cycling back around to Year 3, and can I just say it is AMAZING to see the connections my R son is making after hitting all this stuff at a lower level. There is hope, ladies!

This is great to read (and yes, Tina has been so helpful to me!). I am just starting out and all these curriculum decisions seem so enormous. I really do think that the investment of time and $ into ToG is worth it, though, and your comments really solidify that for me.

Thanks!

I use TOG with a 2nd and 3rd grader, lower grammar resources. We started with yr 1 last yr and spread it over 2 yrs. We will be finished with yr 1 shortly. I already have plans underway to start yr 2.

I must also say that I was highly resistant to the DE version at first and started with yr 1 unit 1 in paper form and then agonized over the pros of the DE version for the later units. I made the switch at unit 2 and then chose DE again for unit 3 and I have adjusted well. I can say that I prefer the DE version now. I feel more freedom with it. :001_smile: Just wanted to mention it for anyone else on the fence between the two options.

Edited by jewellsmommy

I don't ever frequent this board (it can get a little scary at times!), but I saw the word TOG jumping out at me, so here I am.

What year are you using? Year 1- we start in about 6 months!

What year(s) have you used in the past? This will be our first year

What age students are you using it with? DD will be 6, DD 4, and myself, as I plan to self educate as much as possible!

I have one child at home. We did YR-1 Units 1-3 last year for 5th grade (UG). This year we picked up with the Romans and for 6th grade Unit 4 and I introduced some of the D level literature. We are currently doing YR-2 Unit 1 all at D level, and plan to get through the end of Unit 2 before we take summer break. We often take two weeks to complete a one week plan, so fitting in three units per school year works best for us.

Blessings,

Lucinda

What year are you using?

What year(s) have you used in the past?

What age students are you using it with?

Year 2

We did Year 3 last year, yes, I know so strange.

I'm using it for a few book discussions and a couple other things but not the main curriculum with our oldest - 14, Rhetoric.

I'm using it for Christian (Dialectic, almost 12) and Elizabeth who vacillates between upper & lower grammar. Rebecca sits in on her readings.

We are in Year 4 and scheduled to finish our first complete rotation through TOG this May.

I couldn't be more pleased with this program for the Rhetoric and Dialectic levels. My grammar level kids love it too, but I really need to focus on basics with them right now. Mostly my 7yo listens in on read-alouds and gets hands-on activities at our TOG co-op.

I am contemplating posting a thread explaining how a TOG co-op has made our experience richer, easier, and more enjoyable.

We do

What year are you using?

Year 1

All of them 2x, this is our 3rd time with Year 1 (hard to believe)

I've used it with every age from Pre-k to mom. This year with my ds 15 (rhetoric) & ds8 (upper grammar) only, ds17 did Year 1 rhetoric in 8th grade.

Karen

My LG girls and I are on our 2nd week of ToG, Year 1/Unit 1 and LOVING it! It's ridiculous how positively giddy I am over this.

Last week we made a map puzzle of Pangaea, a model of the layers of the earth, and a color wheel. This week we have tons of cool things planned. SO much to choose from. I love the buffet effect.

The great thing is, while they are little I get to self-educate and absorb all the cool things I slept through during high school and college.

:D

We'll be resuming our fifth year of using TOG very soon. I have a 15 year old R, 10 year old UG/D, 8 year old UG and 5 year old LG. We are taking a bit of a break from TOG right now, but will pick it up again in a few weeks.

Scott and Marcia are coming to our convention this year!

This is our fourth year with TOG. We started in Year 2, Unit 3 and then did Years 3 and 4.

We are currently in Year 1 with two Rhetoric students, one Dialectic student, and one Upper Grammar student.

This is our 3rd year to participate in an online co-op for History and Lit discussions for Dialectic and Rhetoric levels.

I envision TOG being a part of our home school from here on out.

We are using Year 1 starting in August (our first time to homeschooling). I will have 1 R, 2 D, 1 UG, and 1 LG student. I'm SO ready to start!

Congratulations for making a great choice for your big family. This is one of the main reasons TOG was designed, and it should work really well for you.

Blessings,

Lucinda

What year are you using?

we're using TOG. Right now it's yr 4. This is the end of our first rotation. I use it with all three kids.

Yr 1 - LG, UG, D

yr 2 - UG, D, D

yr 3 - UG, D, R

yr 4 - UG, D, R

next yr (1)- D?, R, R

We will be using it but may wait another year. I picked up a used copy of Year 1 recently and am excited about it but want to get my soon-to-be K'ers (two 5 YO's) off to a solid start with the 3R's. We may slip in a few things in K but will really start Year 1 for 1st grade.

Second year of TOG here.

Last year, we did Year 1 with 6th and 8th graders.

This year, we're half-way through Year 2 with just the 7th grader (9th grader is in school).

Next year, we'll be doing Year 3 with the 8th grader and our little 1st grader! That'll be interesting. I'll be combining it with SOTW Activities with the little one.

Second year of TOG here.

Last year, we did Year 1 with 6th and 8th graders.

This year, we're half-way through Year 2 with just the 7th grader (9th grader is in school).

Next year, we'll be doing Year 3 with the 8th grader and our little 1st grader! That'll be interesting. I'll be combining it with SOTW Activities with the little one.

I too am using activities from SOTW2 AG.

• 7 months later...