Menu

Crafters Challenge, Jan update

Obviously the "You Beaut" award goes to Holly in FL for her Grazing Sheep Bag, but what have the rest of you been up to? Does anyone else think they deserve a "You Beaut" award too? Show us! Show us!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my knitted square done. It took me three weeks, I'm so out of practice, and I'm slow even when I am in practice! I also made a start on a cross stitch for my mother for Christmas. That might need to be put aside in favour of the other project at the bottom of the pic. That is a UFO being bought back to my own personal planet because it needs to be ready to enter into an SCA comp in October... (Yeah, very likely to happen :rolleyes:) It's a split stitch rendition of a Roman mosaic, Diana the Huntress of Utica. I'd link it, but it's a site hosted by Tunisia...

Show us the pretties!

:)

Rosie

I finished 2 pairs of socks but can't figure out how to load the pics.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/album.php?albumid=461

ETA: Ok, figured out how to make an album and link it, but I still don't know how to post pics in the message.

picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=1907

picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=1908

Ok, here are the pics. Sorry for the gigantic-ness. I'll have to figure out how to crop later.

Edited by Cinder

I finished 2 pairs of socks but can't figure out how to load the pics.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/album.php?albumid=461

ETA: Ok, figured out how to make an album and link it, but I still don't know how to post pics in the message.

picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=1907

picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=1908

Ok, here are the pics. Sorry for the gigantic-ness. I'll have to figure out how to crop later.

They are beautiful!

I have knitted about 1/5 of my short sleeved top from the home spun mum sent me for Christmas.

I just haven't been watching TV much and thats when I tend to knit.

Those socks are great! They look as achievable to me as making a replica Bayeux Tapestry, but I'm sure I'm capable of improvement, heheh.

Post pics of partly done items. How will we be able to say "Oh, you've improved it so much since last month!" if we haven't seen any pics?

Yay for pretty things!

Rosie

Those are great! I commented in your album. But, what yarn and pattern did you use on the blue socks? I really like those.

Thanks! I saw your comment but I clicked on something and couldn't figure out how to get back to reply. Are you on Ravelry? It's Hedgerow Socks by Jane Cochran. It's a free pattern. I found a non-Rav link to the pattern here. The yarn is Knit Picks Stroll Kettle Dye in purple. They no longer make this yarn as they got a lot of customer complaints of too many skeins not showing color variegation. They replaced it with Stroll Tonal. It has a subtle striping to it.

It's an easy pattern--just knits and purls. I joined a sock stash knitdown challenge on the Stash and Burn group on Rav. This yarn has been sitting in my stash box for awhile now. I'm glad I finally got it knit up.

What's a crafters challenge??

:bigear:

It started off with me looking for buddies while I undertook a square per month knitting challenge. I must have tapped into a collective desire to craft because the crocheters wanted to join in, then embroiderers want to join in, then a painter! So it became a bit of a free for all. :) But a challenge must have rules. The rules are: no books- they belong in the book challenge thread and no housework. Housework is an art, not a craft *mock serious face* and besides, we'd all feel bad about spending time on crafts if we had to sort through pictures of tidy kitchens. :lol: So if you are working on some kind of craft and would like a bit of community with it, post here :)

Wow everybody's crafts look amazing! I think you all deserve Beaut awards. :) :hurray:

Ibbygirl, you must practice your Australian dialect. *shakes head sadly* It's "you beaut" or an acceptable alternative, though slightly yobbo-ish, spelling is "yoo beaut."

:lol:

Rosie

Ibbygirl, you must practice your Australian dialect. *shakes head sadly* It's "you beaut" or an acceptable alternative, though slightly yobbo-ish, spelling is "yoo beaut."

:lol:

Rosie

Oops. :blushing: I'm so ashamed. :leaving::tongue_smilie:;):D

I just finished hand quilting my ds 13's quilt. He helped sew the top, and it has taken me 2 years to quilt it.

Now I can start quilting my dd10's quilt, she helped make the top of her's as well.

Wow! congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment. Will you post pics?

Hmm... I'll have to learn how to post picture!

I just moved, and I'm feeling inspired to make some jewelry again (all my supplies are out of hiding :001_smile:). I've been thinking about making some gold and turquoise earrings. Do I just post a photo when I'm done with them?

Hmm... I'll have to learn how to post picture!

I just moved, and I'm feeling inspired to make some jewelry again (all my supplies are out of hiding :001_smile:). I've been thinking about making some gold and turquoise earrings. Do I just post a photo when I'm done with them?

If you want your own thread, by all means! (That sounded snarky but wasn't, btw!) If you want to post on these update threads, I post them on the last day of the month. :)

We all like to see pretty and shiny things :)

Rosie

If you want your own thread, by all means! (That sounded snarky but wasn't, btw!) If you want to post on these update threads, I post them on the last day of the month. :)

We all like to see pretty and shiny things :)

Rosie

:D Oops! That's what I meant (how to be a part of this thread).

I'm excited!! I'll post my photo on next months update.

Thanks! I saw your comment but I clicked on something and couldn't figure out how to get back to reply. Are you on Ravelry? It's Hedgerow Socks by Jane Cochran. It's a free pattern. I found a non-Rav link to the pattern here. The yarn is Knit Picks Stroll Kettle Dye in purple. They no longer make this yarn as they got a lot of customer complaints of too many skeins not showing color variegation. They replaced it with Stroll Tonal. It has a subtle striping to it.

It's an easy pattern--just knits and purls. I joined a sock stash knitdown challenge on the Stash and Burn group on Rav. This yarn has been sitting in my stash box for awhile now. I'm glad I finally got it knit up.

Thanks! I actually had that pattern in my collection. The sock yarn I have coming is stroll tonal too. Can't wait to knit them up. I went with brown since I don't have any brown socks but all the colors are amazing.

ETA: Oh wow are they ever low on colors. Hope they get some more soon.

These all look and sound great! I hope that those who haven't posted pics yet will some back and add them.

I started a sampler afghan for this challenge. I figure with you guys to keep me on track, it might actually get finished!:lol: I also am working on my second pair of socks. The first pair was...interesting:blink:, but this pair is turning out better. Maybe if they work out, I'll graduate to some patterning in the next pair.

These all look and sound great! I hope that those who haven't posted pics yet will some back and add them.

I started a sampler afghan for this challenge. I figure with you guys to keep me on track, it might actually get finished!:lol: I also am working on my second pair of socks. The first pair was...interesting:blink:, but this pair is turning out better. Maybe if they work out, I'll graduate to some patterning in the next pair.

[ATTACH]4387[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4388[/ATTACH]

Love the purple socks. :) The white portion of your afghan looks almost exactly the same color and stitch as a scarf I knitted once many many moons ago. :) I think it was called a "popcorn stitch" IIRC. :) Good work mama. :)

I am SO excited!!! Yippee!

Here's the beginning photo and the finished one! The picture on the left shows the full lady... the middle shows my progress for January... the one on the right shows a close up of where I began this month!

post-1955-13535084433471_thumb.jpg

post-1955-1353508443373_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535084433994_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535084433471_thumb.jpg

post-1955-1353508443373_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535084433994_thumb.jpg

May I join?

I crocheted three of these in pink: http://www.aestheticnest.com/2010/07/crochet-best-baby-cloche-and-tutorial.html It was for a triple baby shower at our church, all the ladies are having girls. I also made a basic, yard-of-flannel blanket in a different print for each.

Right now I'm working on one of these for myself: http://www.allcrafts.net/fjs.htm?url=shortylamcrochet.blogspot.com/2006/11/nordstrom-hobo-bag.html#links I'm doing it in natural colored cotton, similar to the original. I'll try to post a picture when I'm done.

I am SO excited!!! Yippee!

Here's the beginning photo and the finished one! The picture on the left shows the full lady... the middle shows my progress for January... the one on the right shows a close up of where I began this month!

Beautiful. Cross-stitching used to be my passion before kids.

I'm working on a very lacy baby blanket (knitting).

I finished a snood (yes, a real, 1940's-style snood - so fun!) and a ruffly scarf out of a silk-alpaca laceweight yarn (my first time working with laceweight).

I'll try to post pictures, but I might have to wait till tonight, when my techie-husband will be home to help me figure out how to do it.

Everyone's projects look great!

Love the purple socks. :) The white portion of your afghan looks almost exactly the same color and stitch as a scarf I knitted once many many moons ago. :) I think it was called a "popcorn stitch" IIRC. :) Good work mama. :)

Thanks! The rest of my clothes are pretty plain, so I figured I'd jazz it up with some socks.:lol:

The white portion of the afghan is called seed stitch in the pattern, but I think is has a bunch of different names. Sure looks like popcorn stitch to me, too, but I've never actually done it, so I can't be positive.

The white portion of your afghan looks almost exactly the same color and stitch as a scarf I knitted once many many moons ago. :) I think it was called a "popcorn stitch" IIRC. :)

My grandmother calls that "blackberry stitch" :)

Yay for everyone's prettinesses!!!

Rosie

I feel so ashamed. I don't think I've picked up the needles since you started this, Rosie. I am just not good at these sort of things. But I liked the idea, and will check in next month with, hopefully, a pic of the cozy toe socks I've got (simmering) on the needles. But I did finally work toward getting my sewing/knitting stuff/area decluttered and organized this, which is a huge step for me.

Good, beautiful work everyone! It is so fun to see what has been accomplished this month.

I feel so ashamed. I don't think I've picked up the needles since you started this, Rosie. I am just not good at these sort of things. But I liked the idea, and will check in next month with, hopefully, a pic of the cozy toe socks I've got (simmering) on the needles. But I did finally work toward getting my sewing/knitting stuff/area decluttered and organized this, which is a huge step for me.

Ha ha :) The first step towards any project is FINDING YOUR STUFF! Cleaning up stuff storage areas is an admirable thing indeed :)

Rosie

Wow! Love the pics - there's some really talented crafters here! I think I might qualify for a "You Blow" award. :)

I've done 5 dish rags - posted pics of my first 2 on another thread earlier this month. I'm going to continue with the dish rags, 'cause I have a bunch of people irl who've requested some. :) I might take on a second project and try a felted wool bag...Michaels has a sale on Paton classic wool yarn this week.

If only that were my excuse! No, the socks are at the ready right here next to my setting chair. But I have been ignoring them.

:lol: What's the time? Maybe you can get a row done by midnight. :lol:

Wow! Love the pics - there's some really talented crafters here! I think I might qualify for a "You Blow" award. :)

I beg your pardon? :001_huh: I do hope you meant a "You Beaut" award :smilielol5:

Rosie

Ha ha :) The first step towards any project is FINDING YOUR STUFF! Cleaning up stuff storage areas is an admirable thing indeed :)

Rosie

Yeah, sing it!

I am still looking for the learn to knit the afghan way book I lost. It is very to some of the other stuff posted, in which a square is knitted & a technique is learned.

I've done 5 dish rags - posted pics of my first 2 on another thread earlier this month. I'm going to continue with the dish rags, 'cause I have a bunch of people irl who've requested some. :) I might take on a second project and try a felted wool bag...Michaels has a sale on Paton classic wool yarn this week.

I love making utterly functional things when I craft. Makes it justifiable in my book. You go girl. You do not blow. You rock. ps. can you make me one?:tongue_smilie:

Oh wow! My knit picks order showed up yesterday--in record time no less. I'll be able to start my socks and hat this week. Last night I cast-on a vest I've been wanting to do for the past year. (buying the expensive Noro yarn was holding me back, gotta love a sale!) I think this is going to be a very fast knit since it's just blocks of knit and purl. (It'll be perfect for my social knitting since I'm always messing up anything more complicated.) I'll post pictures later.

I'm working with a goal of using up 1800 yards of my cotton-ease stash by the end of March. I think I'm running a little behind (and a short February isn't going to help), but I'm going to keep charging on.

I did a total of 8 blanket square in cotton-ease (only 7 shown here - the 8th is VERY cabled and I need to take a picture of it).

picture.php?albumid=463&pictureid=1913

I also made a pair of socks for my cousin in England:

picture.php?albumid=463&pictureid=1911

A cowl for a friend:

picture.php?albumid=463&pictureid=1912

And a standby for me - the garterlac dishcloth. I LOVE these. I love the garter stitch springy-ness, the ease of the pattern (now that I've made them by the dozens)... I'm sure there are other things about it, but it's basically my "I don't know what to knit next, so I'll bang out another dishcloth" choice. I should probably have one in the car all the time.

picture.php?albumid=463&pictureid=1914

I'm working with a goal of using up 1800 yards of my cotton-ease stash by the end of March. I think I'm running a little behind (and a short February isn't going to help), but I'm going to keep charging on.

I did a total of 8 blanket square in cotton-ease (only 7 shown here - the 8th is VERY cabled and I need to take a picture of it).

Love your blanket squares. I just knit a hat for charity in Cotton-ease and find it's nice to work with. I can't wear any of the colors (too pastel) so that ball of yarn had been sitting for years! Glad it's used up now.

I can't wear any of the colors (too pastel) so that ball of yarn had been sitting for years! Glad it's used up now.

The new line of it has some bolder colors (like a Terracotta I have here in my stash), in case you want to have another look at it.

I bought a TON of it when it was previously discontinued, so I have more than a sweater's worth in Cherry Red. I had started a sweater, but I think I'm going to end up ripping it out and starting again. I'm not in love with the fit adn I know I'll end up complaining about it and not wearing it as much if I don't just start over.