Menu

"I wouldn't have admitted your son"

Spoke to a very annoying admissions counselor at one of the universities my oldest ds applied to. We are US citizens living in Canada. My son homeschooled from K - 11. He took half a semester at the local public school in 9th grade and is doing a bunch of science and math courses at the ps this year to finish up.

The university in question had responded to our application by requesting an "evaluation transcript" - something some colleges make "foreign" students do - just in case "English" doesn't mean "English." (Can you tell the whole concept peeves me a LOT?)

Anyway, I was making my case that I didn't need an "evalution transcript" because ds was homeschooled. The Counselor told me that ALL US homeschoolers graduate with an equivalency diploma from a school district. I told him that was blatantly untrue. So the counselor went to check with his boss -the Director of Admissions - about what to do.

When he came back he said, "Well, I wouldn't have done this with your son, but the Directer admitted him today based on what you already sent in. He saw your son's SAT scores and said 'We have to have this kid.'"

Then the counselor went on to tell me over and over again that HE would NOT have admitted my son.

What a jerk!

I told him my son had had a very rigorous education, that his SAT scores were phenomenal. He then told me I'd better get my ds a GED diploma - not because his university was demanding one, but because how else could I prove to anyone what my son had accomplished?

I WAS SO MAD! It was hard to even be happy that my son got in!

I would write to the Director and tell him how the admissions counselor is undermining his decisions to new students and their families.

:iagree: The good thing is that if your son goes there, he won't really have to have anything to do with this guy. :glare:

I would write to the Director and tell him how the admissions counselor is undermining his decisions to new students and their families.

:iagree: Or just call him. Express that you are concerned about the mixed messages, and ask if your son will have any trouble from staff because of his academic background. Ask if the suggestion to get a GED is school policy, or just the other guy's (out of line) suggestion. Let the Director come to the conclusion that the adcom behaved badly.

You can't rock the SAT's if you've had a horrid education. I know it isn't technically an achievement test, but you do have to know stuff. Good grief.

:iagree: The good thing is that if your son goes there, he won't really have to have anything to do with this guy. :glare:

I've met some very cocky admissions people (power hungry...one of my favorites was one who was unhappy I'd never taken the SAT. I'd taken the GRE, but he wanted me, a college grad, to go back and take the SAT. I declined with a slight smile and I didn't get in). I, personally, would just move on. Anger this guy, and he might go out of his way to undermine you son in some way. Welcome to academics!

I'd be tempted to wait four years, let you son graduate with honors/do really well, and then rub it in this person's face. Not very nice at all, okay, but it's what I think about doing to the school guidance counselor/special ed teacher who suggested a "special" school for my 6 yo ds (who is now at a "special" school that admits only a select few musically gifted boys, from which it's a given he will go on to a top independent school). Not that I'm vengeful or anything, just when I wake up in the middle of the night I think about how nice it would be to send this counselor a letter to make up for the anxiety she caused us.

Good on your son getting in on the strength of the scores, though. I'm sure he'll do well and do you proud.

Spoke to a very annoying admissions counselor at one of the universities my oldest ds applied to. We are US citizens living in Canada. My son homeschooled from K - 11. He took half a semester at the local public school in 9th grade and is doing a bunch of science and math courses at the ps this year to finish up.

The university in question had responded to our application by requesting an "evaluation transcript" - something some colleges make "foreign" students do - just in case "English" doesn't mean "English." (Can you tell the whole concept peeves me a LOT?)

Anyway, I was making my case that I didn't need an "evalution transcript" because ds was homeschooled. The Counselor told me that ALL US homeschoolers graduate with an equivalency diploma from a school district. I told him that was blatantly untrue. So the counselor went to check with his boss -the Director of Admissions - about what to do.

When he came back he said, "Well, I wouldn't have done this with your son, but the Directer admitted him today based on what you already sent in. He saw your son's SAT scores and said 'We have to have this kid.'"

Then the counselor went on to tell me over and over again that HE would NOT have admitted my son.

What a jerk!

I told him my son had had a very rigorous education, that his SAT scores were phenomenal. He then told me I'd better get my ds a GED diploma - not because his university was demanding one, but because how else could I prove to anyone what my son had accomplished?

I would be sending both an e-mail and a snail mail follow up to the director - possibly even a phone call (just to be certain the director got it instead of the adcom). This is definitely not right and it's the director who should be addressing it. How many other students has he done this to?

Personally, unless my son absolutely wanted to go to that particular college I'd probably also cross it off my list. If he wants to go there, I'd let time heal my anger with the knowledge that adcoms have absolutely no interaction with the students once they arrive. I'd also be asking to be transferred to another adcom for the duration of the admissions process.

We've had interaction with several colleges at this point and not a single one has asked for a GED. It might help that my two oldest have very high ACT scores, but, that matches what you're dealing with right now. A couple of colleges had asked if my junior son would skip his senior year and enroll early. One also asked the same of my oldest (now a college freshman, but not early).

IMO there are so many [great academically] homeschool friendly schools out there that we simply won't deal with any who aren't. If they don't want us, it's mutual. In your case, the director definitely wants your son, so HE [director] needs to deal with his adcom.

Although that guy might not even be there in 4 years. I would write a letter NOW not only for that reason, but also so that this does not happen to anyone else!

Dawn

I'd be tempted to wait four years, let you son graduate with honors/do really well, and then rub it in this person's face. Not very nice at all, okay, but it's what I think about doing to the school guidance counselor/special ed teacher who suggested a "special" school for my 6 yo ds (who is now at a "special" school that admits only a select few musically gifted boys, from which it's a given he will go on to a top independent school). Not that I'm vengeful or anything, just when I wake up in the middle of the night I think about how nice it would be to send this counselor a letter to make up for the anxiety she caused us.

Good on your son getting in on the strength of the scores, though. I'm sure he'll do well and do you proud.

What a jerk!

I want to say congratulations to you and your DS!:party::cheers2:

No beer or party balloons for the jerky guy. :glare:

I would let the powers that be know about this, too - also that while your son is happy to have been accepted, YOU are concerned about him attending the school IF either you or your son would ever, EVER have to cross paths again with that bozo (ok, do not use that word) in admissions. If he represents the overall school attitude to homeschoolers.....he may be eliminating other worthy candidates the Director would have snatched up!!!!

Once your son's graduated from college, no one [important] is going to care whether he has a GED or not. College degree trumps anything from high school, especially a GED. This admissions counselor is completely out of line IMHO. I, too, think contacting the head of admissions about this is probably a good idea.

Congrats to your son!! :)

I want to say congratulations to you and your DS!:party::cheers2:

No beer or party balloons for the jerky guy. :glare:

:lol:

The guy's clearly a jerk, but I wouldn't give it another thought. As other posters have said, that's why he's not in charge, and neither you nor your son will ever have to deal with him again.

Congratulations to your son!

:iagree: I would also worry that this might be considered "typical" of those hsing mother types that have to control every interraction their children, even adult children take part in. Now, this is not a belief that I agree with, BUT it is one that I have heard ad nauseum. I'm LOOKING at colleges with dd, we're discussing what sort of things are important (including cost, I know I am a bad mother). I'm getting a lot of the "that's so typical of the overcontrolling types that have to hs their kids to make sure they do well." Now, I have to admit, I'm getting gun shy. I just hate the idea of that getting thrown in your face and you being caught flat footed.

:grouphug:

:iagree: Or just call him. Express that you are concerned about the mixed messages, and ask if your son will have any trouble from staff because of his academic background. Ask if the suggestion to get a GED is school policy, or just the other guy's (out of line) suggestion. Let the Director come to the conclusion that the adcom behaved badly.

You can't rock the SAT's if you've had a horrid education. I know it isn't technically an achievement test, but you do have to know stuff. Good grief.

Excellent suggestion.

I would call, as well. Who knows who opens the director's mail? He might never see your letter.

Cat

After thinking it over, I think I'm going to wait for the acceptance letter and then call and speak directly to the director about the GED question. I will very nicely say how I'm confused because they don't ask for a GED but the counselor says my son has to have one. Is that right? (sugar-sweet voice).

I think the director will get the point. It's a small university that is trying to make a name for itself in my ds' field of study. My son provides high scores and the diversity of both being homeschooled and being "foreign".

Just cross your fingers that they (or someone!) offers a substantial financial aid package or none of it will matter....:)

:iagree: I would also worry that this might be considered "typical" of those hsing mother types that have to control every interraction their children, even adult children take part in. Now, this is not a belief that I agree with, BUT it is one that I have heard ad nauseum. I'm LOOKING at colleges with dd, we're discussing what sort of things are important (including cost, I know I am a bad mother). I'm getting a lot of the "that's so typical of the overcontrolling types that have to hs their kids to make sure they do well." Now, I have to admit, I'm getting gun shy. I just hate the idea of that getting thrown in your face and you being caught flat footed.

:grouphug:

Well, many, many moons ago my mom and I looked at colleges together with her giving me her advice about importance vs not of many things collegiate, PLUS she told me some places I wasn't allowed to go for various reason (too low of an education for my stats being a major one, too high of a cost being another). I was in ps my whole life and she was a ps teacher until retirement.

I don't think that's a "typical" homeschooling thing at all. I think it show a mom who cares and wants to share advice. I would freely relate my history to anyone who dared blame it on homeschooling! Just my two cents...

After thinking it over, I think I'm going to wait for the acceptance letter and then call and speak directly to the director about the GED question. I will very nicely say how I'm confused because they don't ask for a GED but the counselor says my son has to have one. Is that right? (sugar-sweet voice).

I think the director will get the point. It's a small university that is trying to make a name for itself in my ds' field of study. My son provides high scores and the diversity of both being homeschooled and being "foreign".

Just cross your fingers that they (or someone!) offers a substantial financial aid package or none of it will matter....:)

Not that the guy wasn't a tad rude, from the way you've described the conversation, but isn't homeschooling in general a much more foreign idea in Canada than it is in the US?

It sounds to me more like a case of cultural misunderstanding than someone simply being rude or combative to homeschoolers. I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt rather than belaboring the issue.

Well, many, many moons ago my mom and I looked at colleges together with her giving me her advice about importance vs not of many things collegiate, PLUS she told me some places I wasn't allowed to go for various reason (too low of an education for my stats being a major one, too high of a cost being another). I was in ps my whole life and she was a ps teacher until retirement.

I don't think that's a "typical" homeschooling thing at all. I think it show a mom who cares and wants to share advice. I would freely relate my history to anyone who dared blame it on homeschooling! Just my two cents...

That's what is driving me crazy. I KNOW that this doesn't have anything to do with me hsing, I care about my dd, but for some freakin' reason people are calling me overbearing, because I hs and I'm giving her advice. Now, I have to worry if every time I take an interest or have a concern I'm being thought of as a pageant mom. Sorry for the derail :(

Not that the guy wasn't a tad rude, from the way you've described the conversation, but isn't homeschooling in general a much more foreign idea in Canada than it is in the US?

It sounds to me more like a case of cultural misunderstanding than someone simply being rude or combative to homeschoolers. I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt rather than belaboring the issue.

Actually, this is an American college I'm talking about. We're "foreign" because we're Americans living in Canada.

To the OP: You said your son is taking classes at a public school currently. Is he enrolled as a full time student? If so, won't he be receiving a public school diploma? If that's the case, he wouldn't need a GED.

He's only taken a few classes this year - the rest of his work was homeschooled and the public school won't graduate him because we were independent homeschoolers - we didn't have anyone overseeing his work and grading it. So no - his diploma will be from me.

Actually, this is an American college I'm talking about. We're "foreign" because we're Americans living in Canada.

Oh, gotcha. I misunderstood and thought that you were foreign b/c of being Americans (applying to a school in Canada).

Does the college put their entrance/application requirements on their website? I've only begun looking at colleges (to build a better plan for high school, before we get to that point), but all that I've looked at in the US have pretty well laid out details on exactly what home schoolers have to do in order to apply.

Maybe you can look there and print that off, if it exists? Otherwise, yes, write a letter/talk to the director. That's strange the admin officer is so clueless about hs'ing in this day and age......I hope his cluelessness is not an indication of the attitude in general (ie, what your son might encounter with professors, etc.).

I am sorry about this guy and his sad little attempt at a power trip, but this sort of thing happens in every school, company or government instatution. It really is a small thing and I wouldn't worry about it.

I got worried a few years ago and my son got a NARHS diploma and I had a horrible interaction with the director there this fall. He called me a liar, he lied to me, he didn't appogize for calling me a liar when I forwarded him an email showing him what someone in his office had promised me and that I had not lied, he was a CREEP. But at the end of our conversation he told me, "We are a real school." Bingo. That is why I avoid real school for my children. We spent a lot of money on that diploma and I was treated like garbage. My younger child will not bother with a diploma.