Menu

Shady chiropractors?

For two days this week my dh had terrible neck pain. After not sleeping one night and popping radical pain pills, we went to see a chiropractor the next morning. The chiropractor took a couple of X-rays and examined him. Then, before he treated my dh, he sat us down and asked us which plan we wanted to do: 6 month plan or 12 month plan. We could pay up front in cash and get a 15% discount or set up monthly payments with his office or through a medical credit place. Paying up front would be about a month's salary for me.

Now I understand that chiropractic care takes a few visits and they always want you to come in several times a week at first. I don't like that he didn't do anything to help my dh without basically telling us we were required to sign up for a long-term treatment plan. Dh told him that we weren't paying for any plan and even got to the point that he told him to let us pay him for his time so far and we will go somewhere else. The chiropractor finally agreed to give him a just a few treatments.

It has been awhile since I've been to a chiropractor. Is this the new thing or does your chiropractor treat you on an as-needed-basis?

The funny thing is that this chiropractor was highly recommended to us. I wouldn't recommend him at all unless I made it clear that he would require long-term commitment from the patient!

My chiropractor, who is not shady at all, does do this - esp. when you go in with an acute situation. The idea is that chiropractic is a holistic discipline and they want to treat him initially more frequently and then less and less until you are on a maintenance schedule. In my case, though, I only go in now when I'm having problems.

I wonder if this is the business model for chiropractors these days. A friend of mine is a chiropractor and I would never question his integrity. He's a wonderful, honest man and a skilled practitioner.

But he doesn't seem to believe in chiropractic as treatment for once-in-a-while pain. It's more of a lifestyle, keep-your-body-free-from- interference thing, kwim?

:iagree:

RUN! I had one who wanted an 18 mo contract that was thousands. I said no. He went off on me in front of my kids saying I was willing to die than pay the money to heal myself.

I found a new chiro who was helpful and I paid him per visit and he only made me pay half my co-op :-)

Run from anyone wanting a contract or payment plan. Pay per visit or get out!

My chiropractor, who is not shady at all, does do this - esp. when you go in with an acute situation. The idea is that chiropractic is a holistic discipline and they want to treat him initially more frequently and then less and less until you are on a maintenance schedule. In my case, though, I only go in now when I'm having problems.

I understand what you are saying and agree with the holistic approach. I guess it just didn't sit well with me that my dh was sitting there in pain and this guy could "fix" the pain in a matter of seconds but wouldn't do it until we agreed to pay him over $2000. Dh would love to go to the chiropractor several times a month. (So would I!) We simply can't afford it.

I understand what you are saying and agree with the holistic approach. I guess it just didn't sit well with me that my dh was sitting there in pain and this guy could "fix" the pain in a matter of seconds but wouldn't do it until we agreed to pay him over $2000. Dh would love to go to the chiropractor several times a month. (So would I!) We simply can't afford it.

Then, I would politely convey that to the chiropractor and tell him that you need a pay as you go plan. In my experience, they try to get you into this type of arrangement, but it is not mandatory. I told my chiropractor that I would set up several appointments per week for several weeks and see how things progressed. As it turned out, I didn't need to see him nearly as often as he suggested I would.

Chiropractors. Pffft. I had neck pain for a couple weeks too, back when dd was a newborn. I went to a local chiro three or four times. He took xrays, told me I had all sorts of problems, adjusted, electrocuted, massaged, and charged me an insane amount of money. It did absolutely nothing. Then I went to my doctor, got a prescription for some muscle relaxents, and was better in two days.

I've seen four chiropractors in the past several years (partly due to moving), and they've all had different protocols. Two of them offered the "pay as you go, come when you need" or "pay up front and get a discount on a large number of visits" plan, and they treated me at the first visit. A third is a drop-in, donation-only chiro; you pay what you can, and the visits are pretty quick, but my DH has found them to be very helpful -- he goes when he needs it and will go back a couple of times in a week if need be (I've only seen that one once myself). The fourth did a bunch of examining and then wanted to set up a treatment/payment plan before any treatment -- sounds like what you're describing. I wasn't comfortable with that, but I don't think it's necessarily shady, just a different approach/belief.

My chiro told me not to come back unless I was in severe pain. But he does sports pain management and is also an MD but treats injuries only, and with chiropractic only (no meds, no surgery). My condition is not one that one would want to "mess with" on a regular basis and he basically just keeps me out of debilitating pain and that is it. I haven't needed him in almost 4 years, PTL!!!!!!!!!

Then, I would politely convey that to the chiropractor and tell him that you need a pay as you go plan. In my experience, they try to get you into this type of arrangement, but it is not mandatory. I told my chiropractor that I would set up several appointments per week for several weeks and see how things progressed. As it turned out, I didn't need to see him nearly as often as he suggested I would.

I agree. My chiro offers the plan as a way to say money in the long run if you are planning to be going on a regular basis but would never force the issue. I'm sorry that this one did.

For two days this week my dh had terrible neck pain. After not sleeping one night and popping radical pain pills, we went to see a chiropractor the next morning. The chiropractor took a couple of X-rays and examined him. Then, before he treated my dh, he sat us down and asked us which plan we wanted to do: 6 month plan or 12 month plan. We could pay up front in cash and get a 15% discount or set up monthly payments with his office or through a medical credit place. Paying up front would be about a month's salary for me.

Now I understand that chiropractic care takes a few visits and they always want you to come in several times a week at first. I don't like that he didn't do anything to help my dh without basically telling us we were required to sign up for a long-term treatment plan. Dh told him that we weren't paying for any plan and even got to the point that he told him to let us pay him for his time so far and we will go somewhere else. The chiropractor finally agreed to give him a just a few treatments.

It has been awhile since I've been to a chiropractor. Is this the new thing or does your chiropractor treat you on an as-needed-basis?

The funny thing is that this chiropractor was highly recommended to us. I wouldn't recommend him at all unless I made it clear that he would require long-term commitment from the patient!

RunrunRUN and please see a real Dr. An osteopath (ends in D.O. in case you aren't familiar with them) is a dr who went to actual medical school AND does adjustments. The guy you went to is shady.

That is the strangest thing I have ever heard. I have been seeing the same chiro and message therapist (same office) for three years now. I go twice a month and I pay my co-pay or the cost of my visit everytime I go. I don't have a contract and I don't have to pay anything up front. I have had regular chiropractic care since I was pregnant with my 14 year old with several different chiropractors and I have never heard of such a thing. I would say, thank you very much but that you prefer to deal with one that bills on a case by case basis.

The one I used to go to (and work for) had that type of policy. And, he'd use that "what's your health worth to you?" routine if someone balked at signing a contract.

But, from what I've heard, there are many chiros around here who don't require contracts. I guess you just have to ask around and find someone you can afford who won't chain you to a stupid contract.

My chiro doesnt do that. In fact I went to him last week, he told me to come back in a couple of days, then he said to me "its not good to keep using chiropractic for this issue- you need to walk more and don't sit so long, take better care of yourself". He knows I have scoliosis and need to take care of my back.

When I went to him with a bad issue a year ago, I had to come back a fair few times- and my daughter did too for some issues- but he never asked for a payment plan.

I wouldn't do it, personally. I wouldn't use a chiropractor that asked me to commit to a payment plan 6 months ahead, because I would want to try and see if what we was doing alleviated my symptoms before making such a big commitment. Also...i had a VERY severe acute neck issue when I went to this chiro first...and it did NOT take anything like 6 months to fix.

I wouldn't say it's shonky...I would say its probably great business practice. And if you can afford it, why not. But I am very careful about handing over money or making long term commitments like that, so I would go to a different chiropractor.

But I am fussy. I also chose the chiro I did because he DIDNT automatically take xrays. I have had way too many xrays already in my life and it costs hundreds of $ to get them done for a chiro to look at them for 5 seconds, then do the same treatment he does every time anyway! But thats not for everyone.

You are the customer. Ask for what you want.

I agree. My chiro offers the plan as a way to say money in the long run if you are planning to be going on a regular basis but would never force the issue. I'm sorry that this one did.

Same with mine. Oddly enough, his name is Shady...

If I had some guy trying to extract more than his share of my money from me, I'd be going elsewhere! It is responsible to talk about long term care, it is not ok to demand upfront payment for it. :mad: If I had the money, I'd pay upfront for a discount, but I am not attending a clinic for the first time!

Rosie

Unless this chiro is your only option, ditch him and run. I worked for many years as a massage therapist, occasionally in chiropractic offices. Unfortunately, it seems to me that the people hired to teach business practices at several of the handful of chiropractic colleges were those who were too shady to make it in the used car business (no offense to used car salesmen). I have seen some absolutely ridiculous business models, designed to rake in the cash more than treat the sick. Can you tell it infuriated me?

So many of these chiros either make people sign up for some sort of multimonth contract or milk their insurance for all it's worth and then the patient is miraculously "healed" when the insurance money runs out, or are then told that the earnest Dr. has done all he can for them and now it's up to God.

What a crock of crap. IMO, the fact is that chiropractic treatment is the exact right treatment for some conditions and I have personally seen many people get relief from such treatments who could not find any help elsewhere in the medical profession. It is well worth trying. However, if a chiro does not accept per session billing and tries to force a person into obligating themselves far into the future, then this person is a thief first and a health professional way on down the line.

Do note however, that in many situations, the patient may need to come in for multiple sessions per week for a few weeks in order to deal with certain situations. But in no way should this go on for months.

I have a condition known as ligamentous laxity. My ligaments are just a bit more stretchy and loose than the average person. Therefore, I get chiropractic treatment very infrequently, and only when I have a specific condition that needs treated. I go in about once every 3 to 5 years. That is what works for me. Any health professional worth their salt knows that one size does not fit all - our bodies are indeed uniquely and wonderfully made. Anyone who tries to fit all their patients in the same mold is focusing on something other than their health and should be avoided if at all possible.

I have had many chiropractors over the years.

While it is true that chiropractic care usually involves more than one visit, I have never been asked to sign a long contract like that. And it is also true that many chiropractors believe in regular chiropractic maintenance BUT the ones I have worked with have never, ever pressured me that way.

For my worst injuries, I have needed intensive chiro care for 4-8 weeks. When I pair the chiro care with physical therapy and massage the time has been shorter. Even with my very worst injury I did NOT have anyone even suggest that it would be more than a month or two of care.

Short answer: RUN. You will be arguing with this guy constantly. Find one you can pay as you go.

I had a similar experience a few months ago. 6 years ago, I fell in the shower 3 days after having a baby. It put my hip out of place. Very rarely, it will pop out again. Sometimes, my dh can get it to move back, but sometimes I need to go to a chiro. So, back in the fall, I was getting ready to go to Disney and my hip hurt so much. I bit the bullet and went to a new chiro (hadn't been since our move to SC). The first visit - only xrays. Send me home for a week of PAIN! I was not very happy. Second visit - he barely touched me. I explained exactly what I had done 3 other times in FL. He tapped on my back and said, see you in a few days. As I was starting to walk out, I stopped. I told the nurse that I didn't feel any relief and was not going to leave until I got the procedure I asked for. It was uncomfortable having to basically demand some treatment, but I just was not going to pay another $60 and still be in pain over my vacation. She didn't really know what to do with me, but she went back to get the doctor. He had one of his assistants actually do what I asked and the pain was gone! It has been gone since October now and I only needed that one adjustment. Needless to say I will not be going back there.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing unless they are refusing to treat you or refusing to let you pay as you go. We're doing chiro care with my son. The chiro took the x-rays, laid out a treatment plan making sure I understood why, how much it should help, and what kind of relief we should see and when, then the office manager came in. She had the payment plan. She had it figured how much the treatment was, insurance portion., my portion and ways to pay that. We could get a discount off the price by paying in full, smaller discount with some monthly payments, or no discount and pay as we go. I didn't see that as shady or bad. After all the ped and other drs are guaranteed payment when they see you (either insurance is going to cover or you pay before you are seen or talk to their office manager.) The dentist/eye drs do the same thing. This is the treatment and how much it is going to cost. How do you intend to pay it? They may not require you to agree to the payment plan in writing but you don't get services if you don't. I couldn't get my glasses until I paid nor could I get in to see a dr until I had the payments worked out. The obs as even worse refusing to even see anyone who was cash only until deposits were paid and financial arrangements worked out. IN fact since we are usually cash patients, I'm not sure I remember any other than clinics connected to the hospital and the hospital that didn't write out a financial agreement. Maybe it's just a sign of the financial times we are in. Or I'm just in a greedy area! :D

I'm not sure this is a bad thing unless they are refusing to treat you or refusing to let you pay as you go. We're doing chiro care with my son. The chiro took the x-rays, laid out a treatment plan making sure I understood why, how much it should help, and what kind of relief we should see and when, then the office manager came in. She had the payment plan. She had it figured how much the treatment was, insurance portion., my portion and ways to pay that. We could get a discount off the price by paying in full, smaller discount with some monthly payments, or no discount and pay as we go. I didn't see that as shady or bad. After all the ped and other drs are guaranteed payment when they see you (either insurance is going to cover or you pay before you are seen or talk to their office manager.) The dentist/eye drs do the same thing. This is the treatment and how much it is going to cost. How do you intend to pay it? They may not require you to agree to the payment plan in writing but you don't get services if you don't. I couldn't get my glasses until I paid nor could I get in to see a dr until I had the payments worked out. The obs as even worse refusing to even see anyone who was cash only until deposits were paid and financial arrangements worked out. IN fact since we are usually cash patients, I'm not sure I remember any other than clinics connected to the hospital and the hospital that didn't write out a financial agreement. Maybe it's just a sign of the financial times we are in. Or I'm just in a greedy area! :D

We don't have insurance so we pay cash for all medical care. We paid a midwife cash for two births. Both times we paid up front. I don't have a problem with that because we all knew the basic timeline and what was going to happen--a baby in 9 months. :) This chiropractor really pushed us to sign a payment plan when we didn't even know how long the treatment would be or how many visits it would take. Dh asked about paying as we go but he told us his office wasn't set up to take per visit payments. 'Cause then he would have to hire more staff and there would be too much paperwork. :001_rolleyes:

Dh is a salesman so this type of sales pitch didn't faze him at all. He didn't take the deal but wasn't offended by it. I am very uncomfortable with high-pressure sales and whenever someone does that to me, my first instinct is to RUN! It just felt like extortion to me. "Oh, I see you are in terrible pain. I can make the pain go away if you pay me $2000." (Dh even chuckled and said to him, "I'm sure this works well! When you are in so much pain, you will sign anything to make the pain stop!") I'm probably being unfair to this guy. :lol: He was pretty young and was probably just doing what he learned in chiro school.

RUN! I had one who wanted an 18 mo contract that was thousands. I said no. He went off on me in front of my kids saying I was willing to die than pay the money to heal myself.

I found a new chiro who was helpful and I paid him per visit and he only made me pay half my co-op :-)

Run from anyone wanting a contract or payment plan. Pay per visit or get out!

I don't agree with this. If he will not do it on a per visit I would then find a different Dr. but just because he presents a plan does not mean he is not a good practitioner.

We started with ours on a set up plan and it was several thousand for about 3 months. My ds and my self were very ill and we needed some intense help. Now we go about once a month or more if needed, we pay once a year, when our tax money comes in and we both are able to live life again.

Don't be so quick to write him off unless you have already asked the questions and you still don't get the answers you need.

Oh, did you choose this Dr through references? In my book, that is a biggy.