Menu

Euthanizing dogs...

Oh boy! This is a terrible day. DH and I have decided the time has come for our older female dog who has slight urine incontinence issues, barking issues, eyesight issues and slight mobility issues. Otherwise, she is mentally happy etc. but everywhere she sits she leaves wet spots and stains, she needs to be kept shaved to prevent smell issues, but life gets in the way and I don't have unlimited time and funds to keep up with her needs and so she smells...SOOO bad! The kids are having a hard time because she is 10 and so obviously they are quite attached. I am feeling terribly guilty and so is dh. Would you ladies put up with this? For how long? We don't have a garage, the yard is all snow and no money for some fancy heated dog house............Has anyone else had to put down a dog who isn't exactly at death's door-----but you are at the end of your rope for expenses, work and maintenance???

We have been doing the medication route :001_huh: It's just not working. That's why this is so hard. Because we have spent more money on special dog care in the last few months and found ourselves not able to get the kids medical care or dental care. Just typing it I feel like a fool that we have chosen to spend more medical money on the dog than the kids. And the worst part is that our finances are the biggest problem here----our income has dropped 50% over the last year making choices about things that would normally be a no-brainer more agonizing. Like spending unlimited amounts at the vet used to be no problem and I wouldn't think twice about taking all steps to maintain one of our animal's lives. But now that money is tight----we are having to make a decision that is awful. Choosing to treat our animals like animals and not 'furry' children.....

:grouphug: I empathize - Our dog is 13 years old and he has always been an excellent guard dog - however, recently she is more cranky and short tempered. Health wise she is perfect except for no longer being able to jump over 6' fences LOL!

I know we should put her down, but she has protected us from several break-ins and many, MANY trips across the US and Europe.

I know this is a hard decision for you :grouphug:

I know people will flame me for this, but I would never put a pet above my family's financial security. I'm sorry you have to make such a decision.

Thank you mejane. This is exactly where we are at and I have steeled myself to say this to our kids. I'm feeling so strongly that it's morally wrong right now to put any more money into this dog.

We had a 14 year old Schnauzer. She was on incontinence medication and continued to have issues - once she just squatted and peed right in front of me - on my carpet!!

I loved her like a child, as when we got her, we were only married 9 months. We joked, we were married 9 months and had a puppy!

Anyway, the maintenance of your home and financial responsibilities do justify your decision in my book. Animals are not people, they are wonderful and loving companions. Just because I think this is justifiable, does not mean I would euthanize Grandma for the same problem. Filth in your home could encourage health issues in your own family. Just my .02

My parents have done this. Dogs that have gone blind, or had severe arthritis, or a million other issues that come up as they age. :grouphug: It's not an easy position to be in. Trying to balance the love and loyalty felt for a family pet with your responsibilities for your family... quality of life all around... not being able to afford care or medication... I will say this. If you go this route, dh doesn't get to skip to work and leave you doing it all alone (even with the kids).

I don' think the analogy of loving her like a child is really accurate. Would you put down a child who was mentally unable to be continent? You said in the very next sentence that animals are not people.

Anyway, I hear this analogy a lot, but it isn't really accurate. My child will come WAY before my dog every time.

Dawn

We had a 14 year old Schnauzer. She was on incontinence medication and continued to have issues - once she just squatted and peed right in front of me - on my carpet!!

I loved her like a child, as when we got her, we were only married 9 months. We joked, we were married 9 months and had a puppy!

Anyway, the maintenance of your home and financial responsibilities do justify your decision in my book. Animals are not people, they are wonderful and loving companions. Just because I think this is justifiable, does not mean I would euthanize Grandma for the same problem. Filth in your home could encourage health issues in your own family. Just my .02

I don't know but I couldn't do it for convenience. Not judging. That's just my stance for myself and my life.

Just couldn't do it-and I have/have had many elderly pets with medical expenses...perscription food....we just make do. I sure miss the old timers we have lost in the last 2 years (had to eauthanize all), I cat at 14, three dogs (German Shorthiared pointer at 14 1/2 Dalmatian at at least 15 and a Second German shorthaired pointer at 16 1/2 this summer and a special needs foster cat) I wouldn't dream of telling you what to do-just that I couldn't do it. I don't miss the medical bills though-they made it tight around here....I now have a 17 yo cat with early kidney failure, a 13 yo cat that is stone forming-both need perscription food and a 12 1/2 yo dog that is on arthritis and liver meds.

We have been doing the medication route :001_huh: It's just not working. That's why this is so hard. Because we have spent more money on special dog care in the last few months and found ourselves not able to get the kids medical care or dental care. Just typing it I feel like a fool that we have chosen to spend more medical money on the dog than the kids. And the worst part is that our finances are the biggest problem here----our income has dropped 50% over the last year making choices about things that would normally be a no-brainer more agonizing. Like spending unlimited amounts at the vet used to be no problem and I wouldn't think twice about taking all steps to maintain one of our animal's lives. But now that money is tight----we are having to make a decision that is awful. Choosing to treat our animals like animals and not 'furry' children.....

for my Shorthair Phelyproponolamine did not work and I had to use DES (Diethyl Stilbesterol???) that did the trick-I had to get it from my vet through a compounding pharmacy. She is the dog I lost last Christmas-so I really have no idea how much it cost anymore...but it wasn't the most expensive drug she was on.

Why would you feel like a fool? Personally, i would go above and beyond for a pet-and doing without myself to do so. Not everyone would, but some.

She said her children had gone without. That's why she felt foolish.

Not that I think she should feel foolish. Sometimes things happen fast and it isn't until later that we can look back and question our actions.

Exactly...thank you. My dd was begging me to take her to the dr. or accupuncturist for a wrist pain issue, and I asked her to wait a week because of expenses. And then found myself running to the vet twice for medications and animal problems :confused: ugh.

No way would my kids go without needed health or dental care because we spent the money on our dog. Don't feel like a fool, because like another poster said sometimes things sneak up on us, but if that's where you are at with your dog's health and your finances, it seems like an obvious decision to me. Easy, no--but obvious.

I did. But I never heard back, and I am assuming it's because of her age, health and aggression issues.

The odds are good they would do the same thing you're considering. I understand your delima, there's a chance that you could find her a home by leaving her in a pound or shelter, but there's also a chance she'd spend the last few weeks of her life alone in a fenced in cement pen alone.

It's so hard to know what to do.

I mean, you could just stop medicating her and let her dwindle.

But that's hardly a choice, is it?

:grouphug:

I understand the financial aspect of it and if your kids have gone without absolutely needed medical care (ie. medications, putting off minor surgery) then yes I can see how the choice would be clear. However, I personally know people who have been in similar situations who have put a pet down because the the needed the money for a vacation, or for a birthday party and I cannot agree with that.

Personally, I would make due without and try all avenues to not have to put the pet down, and have done so in the past. However, only you know how this is affecting your family and the decision, one way or the other, is extremely personal and difficult. Sorry you are faced with it.

Exactly...thank you. My dd was begging me to take her to the dr. or accupuncturist for a wrist pain issue, and I asked her to wait a week because of expenses. And then found myself running to the vet twice for medications and animal problems :confused: ugh.

You're between a rock and a hard place. We've been there.

I am feeling the evil snarky monster getting ready to burst out at any moment if I keep reading the responses to your post, though. I can't come back in here or I will type something I'm going to regret ;) So, I support you. I'm sorry you're in such a yucky situation. Sometimes the right thing is not obvious, but sometimes if you look at the real options (like not medicating her, or dropping her at the pound or shelter), you'll see what the right thing is. Of course, you and your husband could just stop eating completely so you can afford to medicate your dog, or you could sell your children down the river. I opt for putting the pet down, myself.

I know people will flame me for this, but I would never put a pet above my family's financial security. I'm sorry you have to make such a decision.

:iagree: and I love my pets. Love my pets. But my children and their needs have to come first, for me. If it were really to that point, that is.

I would try to find someone to take her first, though.

I am feeling the evil snarky monster getting ready to burst out at any moment if I keep reading the responses to your post, though. I can't come back in here or I will type something I'm going to regret ;) So, I support you. I'm sorry you're in such a yucky situation. Sometimes the right thing is not obvious, but sometimes if you look at the real options (like not medicating her, or dropping her at the pound or shelter), you'll see what the right thing is. Of course, you and your husband could just stop eating completely so you can afford to medicate your dog, or you could sell your children down the river. I opt for putting the pet down, myself.

LOL! I think that ship has sailed. :D (I totally agree with you, fwiw.)

I see. I really didn't mean to single you out....I just hear this a lot and think, "there is no way you can really love your animal like a child."

We have had to think of putting down a dog recently and it is hard, but she is aggressive and I don't want a child hurt.

Dawn

This was when I was 23, very young and immature. Of course I didn't love her like a child from a mature person's eyes; however, in my limited experience of life - at that time I loved her like a child. I do not love animals like children at my current life experience level.

You're between a rock and a hard place. We've been there.

Thank you. :001_smile: I think I'm going to have to be careful about reading any more posts though. This is hard enough as it is :glare:

A heated dog house doesn't have to be fancy. We heat ours with a light bulb, attached to an extension cord. Because the area of the dog house is so small, this actually keeps it very warm. Dh built our dog house and he did put insultation in it as well, but the source of heat is that light bulb.

This is tough.

We went through a similar thing last spring--except our furry baby was only 3yrs old. His kidneys were failing-- after spending WAY TOO MUCH money at the vet we were told that we could extend his life 3months to possibly a few years IF we put him on a medication that cost $700 PER MONTH.

Sorry, I LOVED LOVED that guy---but he was miserable--and we just could not afford to try the meds...

BTW-- NO rescue group would have taken our guy.

It was hard to see him go-- but it was for HIS best and OUR best.

--

We had to put our first kitty down for incontinence issues-- that and the fact that she was anti-social AND was having seizures (on meds for that as well).

It was sad--but it was the BEST decision for OUR family-- and the cat too.

Just because vet-care can now go ABOVE AND BEYOND-- doesn't mean that it is ETHICAL to keep shelling out $$$$ for pets to extend their mediocre life...

Well here I go...dodging tomatoes!

I would NEVER put an animal above my families needs or wants. If I could not afford it, the dog is GONE. If I cannot tolerate the medical problems for whatever reason the dog is GONE!

If I were in your position, the dog would be GONE!

Going away now, ducking!

Oh boy! This is a terrible day. DH and I have decided the time has come for our older female dog who has slight urine incontinence issues, barking issues, eyesight issues and slight mobility issues. Otherwise, she is mentally happy etc. but everywhere she sits she leaves wet spots and stains, she needs to be kept shaved to prevent smell issues, but life gets in the way and I don't have unlimited time and funds to keep up with her needs and so she smells...SOOO bad! The kids are having a hard time because she is 10 and so obviously they are quite attached. I am feeling terribly guilty and so is dh. Would you ladies put up with this? For how long? We don't have a garage, the yard is all snow and no money for some fancy heated dog house............Has anyone else had to put down a dog who isn't exactly at death's door-----but you are at the end of your rope for expenses, work and maintenance???

Have you tried doggie diapers? Just a thought. The barking, if a new thing, might be related to the eyesight problem. fwiw. :grouphug:

THis is your family pet, your friedn for many years now. Your childrens friend as well.

She is having some health issues that your family has attempted to correct for her. You have given meds and cleaned her up when needed.

Sweetie, you have done all for her that you can!

There should be no guilt from you except that she might not be with you much longer.

When I explain this as a maybe to clients I tell them to look for 3 things. That pets 3 favorite things in life. If those 3 favorite things start to change/ not make them happy anymore then it gets to a point that you have to make a decision. I know that you said she is still emotionally happy BUT constant physical ailments like that WILL change their mental happiness and remember that pets are stoic and hide their pains at times. We need to make that decision for them.

Personally I would not contact a rescue about her, she is your family friend and you have been there for her. Sometimes the body cannot physically keep up with the mind anymore.

Good luck!:grouphug:

We put our dog down - we tried to adopt him out, give him to someone that could care for him like we couldn't. No one would take him. He was a wonderful family dog. But we couldn't care for him any longer. He wandered the neighborhood and we were getting Sheriff notices. He was really good at escaping.

Plus he had health issues that we just couldn't justify any longer. We had already gone into $3500 of debt to care for him when he got hit by a car.

In the end I told my husband it was me or the dog. Everyone wanted to keep him and take care of him, but no one did. All the work fell on me and I couldn't do it anymore.

My husband was not happy - he feels like many do, we got the dog, we should care for him to the end.

I could never put down a dog for the reasons stated above. I'm going to be going out to buy diapers for my 14 yo dog who has a very bad heart, but started to have incontinence issues. The other things I'd just happily deal with.

its hard to say goodbye.... it sounds as if that is what you know you need to do; its just so hard.

(and for what its worth, i'd delete the post and stop reading, too..... because for some reason this seems to be a season on these boards where folks are being more absolutist and not as compassionate....)

ann

She said her children had gone without. That's why she felt foolish.

Not that I think she should feel foolish. Sometimes things happen fast and it isn't until later that we can look back and question our actions.

ok, I didn't see that your kids had gone without in your original post. How much ARE her expenses? Did you really not allow treatment of a child because your dog had expenses? What were the animal for? ie, are they long standing?

I took your post as you're tired of dealing with it and wanted to put the dog down. Maybe I read it wrong?

I don't know, I'm having a hard time understanding it all and probably shouldn't comment anymore. I kind of feel like my brain is a bowl of mush right now.

Edited by Denisemomof4

A heated dog house doesn't have to be fancy. We heat ours with a light bulb, attached to an extension cord. Because the area of the dog house is so small, this actually keeps it very warm. Dh built our dog house and he did put insultation in it as well, but the source of heat is that light bulb.

you can't take a dog that's lived indoors and with family for 10 years and put it outside. It won't work.

I may be missing something, but I'm trying to figure out what medications the dog is on and what vet care it needs.

But I would never put the expense of an animal ahead of treatment for a kid. I *did* cancel a family vacation when my horse needed a very expensive surgery. I felt bad for the kids, but I certainly wasn't going to put my horse down so my kids could have a vacation, KWIM?

ok, I didn't see that your kids had gone without in your original post. How much ARE her expenses? Did you really not allow treatment of a child because your dog had expenses? What were they for?

I took your post as you're tired of dealing with it and wanted to put the dog down. Maybe I read it wrong?

One dc needed to see a doctor, but they couldn't afford it. Then the dog became sick and they took it to the vet. It was a matter of things happening quickly and OP not realizing what she had done till it was done.

The dog is declining and the OP's income has been cut in half. It's a much more difficult situation than her original post may have conveyed.

One dc needed to see a doctor, but they couldn't afford it. Then the dog became sick and they took it to the vet. It was a matter of things happening quickly and OP not realizing what she had done till it was done.

The dog is declining and the OP's income has been cut in half. It's a much more difficult situation than her original post may have conveyed.

ok, so I really did miss out on a lot. I didn't know your income had been cut in half on top of everything else.

We made a decision last year that we wanted to let our horse live out his life and be comfortable, but I was no longer going to put money into him. We've already spent thousands of dollars on a horse I love but can't be ridden. If he came into health issues, we'd have to face your decision.

Given the above, it's a tough, tough call, but you need to do what is right for your family. I really didn't know these extra details.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:I'm sorry you're facing this.

THis is your family pet, your friedn for many years now. Your childrens friend as well.

She is having some health issues that your family has attempted to correct for her. You have given meds and cleaned her up when needed.

Sweetie, you have done all for her that you can!

There should be no guilt from you except that she might not be with you much longer.

When I explain this as a maybe to clients I tell them to look for 3 things. That pets 3 favorite things in life. If those 3 favorite things start to change/ not make them happy anymore then it gets to a point that you have to make a decision. I know that you said she is still emotionally happy BUT constant physical ailments like that WILL change their mental happiness and remember that pets are stoic and hide their pains at times. We need to make that decision for them.

Personally I would not contact a rescue about her, she is your family friend and you have been there for her. Sometimes the body cannot physically keep up with the mind anymore.

Good luck!:grouphug:

Thank you. The vet told dh and dd today that the dog is in very much pain and said not to feel guilty at all---our decision is totally justified. BIG sigh of relief. And yes, pretty much all of her favorite things have changed for her because of her smell, incontinence and mobility/barking issues. The vet noticed how much trouble she had getting up and sitting down and said it was extreme pain and she is one heck of a brave dog.

Yes. Thanks.

ok, so I really did miss out on a lot. I didn't know your income had been cut in half on top of everything else.

We made a decision last year that we wanted to let our horse live out his life and be comfortable, but I was no longer going to put money into him. We've already spent thousands of dollars on a horse I love but can't be ridden. If he came into health issues, we'd have to face your decision.

Given the above, it's a tough, tough call, but you need to do what is right for your family. I really didn't know these extra details.

It's okay. Under our previously normal circumstances and a less stressful life---I even would have done doggie diapers! The good news of all of this is that the vet took one look at her mobility today and said she was in a lot of pain. So I am feeling much better about this. We also have one other dog and 4 cats!!! The other dog who is only 7 had a stroke 2 days before Christmas just totally out of the blue because he was our 'healthy' dog :confused: One of our cats has some sort of hideous skin condition that causes her to itch, pull all of her fur our, scratch until she has bald weeping patches of scabs----for which I have tried different expensive foods, homeopathic etc.. So in the midst of the incontinence all over the house I have been rehabbing a stroke dog and trying to fix a miserable cat. We are hoping the prednisone works for the cat, because she is practically bald with scabby patches everywhere and I simply can't afford the $350 allergy tests and treatment that might or might not tell me what is wrong with her. Sigh. Yes I'm worn out emotionally and financially right now.............

4wildberrys, we had a cat like that and it turned out it was stress. Is yours an indoor cat? Ours was and, strangely enough, letting her roam around outside calmed her right down.

I adore you. You have such a wonderful heart.

4wildberrys, we had a cat like that and it turned out it was stress. Is yours an indoor cat? Ours was and, strangely enough, letting her roam around outside calmed her right down.

I adore you. You have such a wonderful heart.

Thank you so much ;)

I don't think it could be stress because she has had this problem since she was a kitten. Regular steroid shots every spring used to clear it up for a year, but the shots stopped losing their effectiveness. The vet was good about my trials with homeopathic, but we decided that even though her life will be shorter being on them long term, her happiness is what counts and the pills are cheap. She HATES the snow. In fact, none of the animals like the snow or cold........so inside they stay. We are hoping to be moved to CA at sea level by next winter, so hopefully a moister and milder climate will help her out.

We just had to put our lab down this morning. He stopped eating and drinking and when we had blood work done yesterday, we found out he had a very advanced case of a rare form of leukemia and there was nothing we could do for him. So, the vet recommended euthanasia and we knew it was the best thing for him. We've had him for 12 years so it was a very hard decision. Sorry for that saga (I'm a bit emotional right now and really a basket case). But what I really wanted to tell you was that he had MAJOR incontinence issues for the last year (and after last night we learned that they were likely caused as a result of the leukemia) that we chose to deal with as best we could since he was still happy and otherwise healthy. We chose not to use medicines because of some of the scary side effects they caused. But I did find a product that was a life saver for us in the end. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Coolaroo-Large-Steel-Framed-Brunswick-Green/dp/B000P7JKD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296253397&sr=8-1

This bed allowed the urine to drip through so he wasn't laying in a puddle of his own urine. I placed a plastic/rubber boot tray underneath it to catch the liquid that passed through. Since the mesh of the bed is rubbery coated, I could spray it off with disinfectant and empty and clean the boot tray. This kept him dry (for the most part) and the house clean and smelling good.

HTH!

Ours was dh's cat when he was a teen. We went to visit his mom and she was covered in red crusty bald patches. That night... we kittynapped her :lol: His mom was livid, but after Luska finally grew back her hair she relented and we got to keep her. Dh's mom had five cats, four unfixed males and Luska (spayed female). We figured out that when Luska was stressed (which happened constantly with dh's mom) she would clean herself. The hairballs were incredible. Once she started murdering woodland creatures she really relaxed :lol:

I'm glad your vet is supporting you. I know that means a lot, you are not a heartless b-word, you are a good pet owner :grouphug:

:iagree:There are good reasons.