Menu

When a recipe calls for butter...

For that, it probably won't matter. If you're baking, it makes more of a difference, because the amount of salt can affect things like how much rise you get from your yeast, etc. But I tend to use salted for pretty much everything, simply because it's cheaper, and I don't have any problems.

It depends. Many recipes today in popular magazines, websites, and ordinary cookbooks are written to be used with salted butter. You will often see a specific request if unsalted butter is called for.

However, I always check out the other ingrients and then decide. With peanut butter frosting on chocolate cake, I would probably use salted. In general, I often use unsalted, so that I can add salt to taste.

Only on this board will salted v. unsalted generate two pages of replies! :lol:

I guess I'll use unsalted.... of course, I can make two batches and see which tastes better. :D

So, at the risk of this become a 'shoes on or off in the house' type of thread..... *why* does it matter which I use other than the salt content? I mean, some of you posted that "it will matter". Can you elaborate? I looked on the packages of both butters and they both had the same recipe for cookies, so I'm confused...

I have always been told that for baking you use unsalted unless the recipe specifically calls for salted. But I have used salted butter because that's often all that is in the house when I spontaneously bake. Much of my baking is spontaneous.

Now I want to make 2 batches of the same thing, one with each kind and see what the difference is!

My reasoning is 1) dh worked in fine dining restaurant kitchens and they always used unsalted 2) America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated told me to only use unsalted and 3)I proved it (through no choice of my own) this past Christmas at my mom's. She didn't have unsalted so I had to use her salted when making my choc. chip cookies. Did the cookies taste okay? Yes, but I could taste the salt. It wasn't like drinking ocean water but I didn't serve the cookies. They just didn't taste right. I ran to the store and bought unsalted and remade them:)

For that, it probably won't matter. If you're baking, it makes more of a difference, because the amount of salt can affect things like how much rise you get from your yeast, etc. But I tend to use salted for pretty much everything, simply because it's cheaper, and I don't have any problems.

oh, I never thought of that but it makes sense.

I've used both and never noticed any taste differences. :)

I don't notice any taste of salt in my butter but I do think the residual buttermilk has a faintly salty flavor.

I looked around online after seeing this thread and it seems that the salt is just a preservative. I may try my next batch w/o salt. Then again . . . I don't refrigerate my butter, either. I leave it on the counter in a butter crock. I lie. I don't have a butter crock. But I sort of fashioned one myself with two bowls and it works like one.

something to think about.

Personally I use whatever I have on hand, unless I have a recipe with delicate flavors (like pastry or candy) where salted butter would significantly change the flavor.

Here's what the Land O Lakes butter website says:

Can I substitute SALTED for UNSALTED butter in a recipe? Back To Top

</H3>LAND O LAKES® Salted and Unsalted Butter are the same Grade AA quality butter. The only difference is that one has salt added and one does not. When you see a specific butter listed in a recipe, it is because that is the product the recipe was tested with. You can use salted and/or unsalted butter interchangeably in any recipe without compensating for salt.

Unsalted butter gives recipes a uniquely delicate, cultured flavor (and, it is not necessary to add more salt to the recipe). When you are baking recipes where sweet cream is the main flavor - such as butter cookies and pound cakes – the sweet delicate flavor of unsalted butter will really come through.

Personally I use whatever I have on hand, unless I have a recipe with delicate flavors (like pastry or candy) where salted butter would significantly change the flavor.

Here's what the Land O Lakes butter website says:

Can I substitute SALTED for UNSALTED butter in a recipe? Back To Top

</H3>LAND O LAKES® Salted and Unsalted Butter are the same Grade AA quality butter. The only difference is that one has salt added and one does not. When you see a specific butter listed in a recipe, it is because that is the product the recipe was tested with. You can use salted and/or unsalted butter interchangeably in any recipe without compensating for salt.

Unsalted butter gives recipes a uniquely delicate, cultured flavor (and, it is not necessary to add more salt to the recipe). When you are baking recipes where sweet cream is the main flavor - such as butter cookies and pound cakes – the sweet delicate flavor of unsalted butter will really come through.

I don't want sweet cream to be the main flavor. I guess that explains why I like the salted butter. Maybe I'm not so uncultured! I LOVE my choc chips cookies with the salted butter. ALTHOUGH.... it says that unsalted does have a "cultured flavor". lol :D

?

I make my own butter and use salt b/c when I first learned how the original recipe called for salt.

I wonder why.

I think salt acts as a preservative. I salt my homemade butter, too, just a little, but it doesn't taste salty like the store stuff.

I accidentally bought salted butter once and because we are so used to the unsalted kind, no one really liked it on their toast, etc. I ended up using it to make vanilla frosting and it was just...off. We all thought so; we could taste the salt. It wasn't bad, as in, we all ate it, of course :lol:, but it was different. I won't be doing it again, though.

I'm on the side that thinks recipes call for unsalted butter. But in reality I usually just buy salted butter and use that unless I'm baking a pastry dough. When I do bake with salted butter I also leave out the salt called for in the recipe. I know some have said there's no taste difference, but I can tell. My neighbor makes her cookies with salted butter and must also put in the salt because they taste salty. Salty sugar cookies? Bleah.

I think salt acts as a preservative. I salt my homemade butter, too, just a little, but it doesn't taste salty like the store stuff.

I accidentally bought salted butter once and because we are so used to the unsalted kind, no one really liked it on their toast, etc. I ended up using it to make vanilla frosting and it was just...off. We all thought so; we could taste the salt. It wasn't bad, as in, we all ate it, of course :lol:, but it was different. I won't be doing it again, though.

That might also be the difference b/c boughten and hm butter. In my family, we all agree that the hm butter is far superior!

It wasn't the salt, LauraGB, they just like your butter better!

Thanks so much ladies! It was interesting reading all the replies. :D I will now use unsalted butter when baking.

I made the peanut butter frosting for dd's chocolate cake, and it was a big hit. Her friends said it 'beat' last year's cake, which had a personalized edible icing picture of the Twilight crew on it (and was a huge hit at that party). Even dh, who *despises* peanut butter had two very thin slices. It apparently tasted like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cake, and for the girls, that meant 'instant win'.

Thanks again for the 'butter education'.:lol: