Menu

Do you get a set curriculum or do it yourself?

kristinannie

Originally, I planned on getting a set, Classical Catholic curriculum. Now I am leaning towards just making my own based on my and my kids needs. However, it seems cheaper in a lot of cases to go with the set curriculum. Also, it would be easy just to follow what is provided in the teacher's manual on a day to day basis instead of having several different manuals. The good thing about what I am planning is that almost all of it is nonconsumable so I won't have to buy much for my other two kids (just the workbooks). I was just wondering what you all do!

If I do my own curriculum, I am planning this for kindergarten:

Catholic Heritage Curricula: Religion, Phonics (Little Stories for Little Folks), Handwriting

Math: MM

Science: Apologia Astronomy (this is a must because DS is really into this right now)---Would the notebook even be worth buying for kindergarten or will it all be over his head?

Literature: Assorted, based on Charlotte Mason

History: Early American with Beautiful Feet (over 2 years)

Art: Fine Art Primer Collection from Veritas Press and various books (like Draw Write Now and Literature Pockets)

Music: Singing hymns and Patriotic songs

Spanish: Either Sube or Sonrisas

Nature Study (Usually during our nightly evening walks during warmer weather or on more extended hikes on the weekends)

I know that sounds like a lot, but we are only going to do math, phonics, religion and handwriting every day (which should take about an hour). The other subjects will be once or twice a week or even less.

I make my own. My kids' math and reading/LA are not on the same level. I have goals that aren't currently met by one curriculum. I have found things that I love and am not willing to not use that are not currently part of any curriculum. I tend towards classical materials for some subjects, CM for others, and I sometimes want something waldorf inspired.

I make my own. My kids' math and reading/LA are not on the same level. I have goals that aren't currently met by one curriculum. I have found things that I love and am not willing to not use that are not currently part of any curriculum. I tend towards classical materials for some subjects, CM for others, and I sometimes want something waldorf inspired.

What are the things that you love? I am just starting out and love recommendations!

Guest RecumbentHeart

I was intending to put together my own from here and there until I found LBC for all the extra subjects that I wanted to do since they cover what I want and how I want with things I would have been buying and scheduling for myself anyway so I opted to give them money for their teaching guide and save myself the time and effort. It's perfect for me because it doesn't include the things I already had decided for sure on anyway and are child-paced subjects (math and Latin). Even my plans for writing/grammar fit perfectly around what they schedule.

But yeah, for all those extra, non-3R subjects, I'm glad I found a set curriculum to schedule it for me but if I hadn't found one that did it just how I wanted, I would have pieced it together myself.

I piece together, because my DD is all over the place on skills (and even if something is at the right skill level, it's not always in a format that she's interested in). And I've made a LOT of mistakes-but I suspect, no more than I would have if I'd simply bought a recommended X grade list and gone from there.

At least so far it's been much cheaper for me to piece together my own. Most of the all-in-one curriculums I would have to do a lot of tweaking to make them acceptable to my family and the ones that are the closest fit are very expensive.

Plus, even though we are really just beginning my son is already on different levels for math and reading.

I make my own. I purchased SCM's 106 Days of Creation and I couldn't even follow that. I know I'd tweak a ready-made curriculum so much it wouldn't be recognizable.

I use a lot of Ambleside's recommendations (many are free) and I make a schedule grid like they have. Simply Charlotte Mason has a planning book that will help you set up your own curriculum. I'm also using the File Crate System. I try to purchase ebooks, because I can print pages for each child. It's much cheaper.

Amy

I started out using a boxed curriculum - A Beka. It was great for K4 & K5. But, as the kids have gotten a little older, I'm starting to go more piecemeal according to the boys' strengths, and A Beka's strengths. Next year, for 2nd & 3rd grade for the boys I only see using A Beka math for my 2nd grader and their K program (for dd) and I'll just stick with their spelling program becuase that's what we've been using and it's been fine. But, everything else we'll be piecing together - Singapore Math, R&S English, SOTW3 for history, Maps, Globes & Graphs for Geography, and we'll be adding Latin in there, too.

I piece my own too. I'm kind of a rebel, not wanting to do anything as it's laid out for me! Even with the curriculum I have there are very few I follow as it's intended! I know it would be SO much easier though to just be "okay" with a box. I don't think I'll ever be that person though...:D

What are the things that you love? I am just starting out and love recommendations!

Well, my children are still young. I have a lot to learn too. So far, the things I have really loved are

Saxon Math K (but only K)

Writing With Ease

MCT Island Level (and I'm hopeful about future levels)

Oak Meadow K (again, I'm hopeful about other grades)

Song School Latin

Noeo Biology 1 (just the books)

IEW Poetry Memorization

I used some of CHC for K when my dd was 4.5 then sent her to the Parish school for Kindergarten. This year I'm using some of CHC for 1st grade. Here's what we use:

From CHC - Little Stories for Little Folks, Handwriting, Spelling, Bible and Religion, Science, ArtPac 1

From Seton - English workbook and Science

Geography/History - Study of the continents that I pulled from different online resources and library books, What Your First Grader Should Know

Math - Math Mammoth

Mapping - Map Skills Book A

I loosely follow the CHC lesson plans, but developed my own schedule. I also supplement with living books (Charlotte Mason style).

For next year I'm already gathering up resources and comparing to a Seton. I like the idea of having lesson plans written for me since I have such young children and limited time (dd 7, ds 4.5, ds 2, ds 3 months old).

I'm also going to check out the WTM again soon for another reading. I should just buy the book!

Good Luck!

Lara

New to the forums and homeschooling

Normally I put everything together myself.

This year with my two older I may go all Bob Jones. I really need the help of the dvds. I've also used SL in the past. I like having everything laid out for me. I like programs that say lesson 1, lesson 2 or by days. It makes things so much easier.

My 4 younger children will probably use Easy Classical this year because everything is scheduled for me. I still have to prepare (which I love) but at least the scheduling is done for me and I feel more accountable to the schedule to make sure we stay on top of things.

Open-and-go programs work for me. By open-and-go I don't mean easy, but I can read the lesson and know exactly what to teach.

Here are some that I have liked;

Bob Jones Math

McRuffy Math

Saxon Grammar (this is for 5-8 grade though)

Saxon Phonics

Phonics Road (no TM but DVDs)

WWE

I make up my own. We are much happier that way.

I just wanted to say, though, that if you haven't looked at Apologia yet, I would suggest you do that before you buy it. I used Astronomy for my dd when she was 6yrs. old and it was a bit too much for her. It was alot of reading and not alot of activities. Real Science Odyssey might be a better fit as there are lots of labs and the reading is bite sized. Just my 2 cents worth. :001_smile:

Box curricula never appealed to me. Too inflexible. I know what i want to teach my kids. I know how they learn best. I want to work at thier own pace.

We use:

Handwriting without tears

Explode the Code

Singapore math

A writing journal

Reading books from the library

Usborne Science books

Story of the World

Sequential spelling

literature from my own collection

This year we are adding:

First Language lessons

Writing With Ease

I'm still looking for good religious instruction. I've been introducing the Buddha's basic teachings from various online resources, and instructing them in meditation practices on my own. I would like to have more in this area.

I make up my own. We are much happier that way.

I just wanted to say, though, that if you haven't looked at Apologia yet, I would suggest you do that before you buy it. I used Astronomy for my dd when she was 6yrs. old and it was a bit too much for her. It was alot of reading and not alot of activities. Real Science Odyssey might be a better fit as there are lots of labs and the reading is bite sized. Just my 2 cents worth. :001_smile:

Thanks so much for your post. I was worried about the same thing and didn't know that there was another option! I am going to take a hard look at that. I just really wanted to hit this subject while he is passionate about it!

Thanks so much for your post. I was worried about the same thing and didn't know that there was another option! I am going to take a hard look at that. I just really wanted to hit this subject while he is passionate about it!

Currclick has Intellego unit studies on sale for half off right now, and they have a couple different astronomy-related units. The K-2 unit is only $5.48 and the 3-5 unit is FREE right now!!! Here's a link: http://www.currclick.com/cclick_wintersale.php?manufacturers_id=264

It's part of their secret winter sale, so you can't get to it from their home page. :)

Editing because I forgot to mention that Intellego is secular, so there could be references in to the universe being billions of years old or something. I'm not sure. We're not religious, so I haven't bothered to look.

After trying to make set programs "fit" us, I now do my own thing. I do use CHC's K program as written for my 4 yr old. He demanded to start real school. I'm probably going to use CHC 1st grade for him next year, adding in Seton's 1st grade history book. I use mater amabilis and ambleside online for reading lists.I'm very much in love with Catholic Textbook Project's books and they are scheduled to release elementary versions next year! I also try to buy non consumable, so the next child can use them. I also love the Catholic National Readers with Kolbe's study guides. I use the Catholic National Speller with a pc game called Spelling Accelerator, for a cheap spelling program. You can see the pc game here, it's in a set that has some fun other programs and the Encyclopedia Britannica on cd. http://www.amazon.com/Topics-Entertainment-Learning-Best-selling-Software/dp/B0020R2I1K

HTH,

Kim

I think there are lots of "boxed" curricula out there that are wonderful! I often wished that it worked for us so that I could have the ease of a fully boxed/planned curriculum. But one of my main reasons for homeschooling is because my kids are not at the same level in everything (here for reading, there for math, way out in left field for other things, etc). Also, I guess I am a control freak because there always seems to be one or two elements of the boxed curricula that wouldn't be my first choice - so I "reinvent the wheel" so that all the "spokes" are exactly how I want them.

I go back and forth, I guess. The first year we did a set curriculum (Calvert Pre-K), and the next couple of years were totally eclectic, including FIAR, MBtP, SOTW, and Sonlight to name a few. This year I'm using a single curriculum (Oak Meadow) as a framework, but also expanding and using other sources for certain subjects, which are in my signature.

I piece my own Charlotte Mason curriculum together using a variety of sources. It's very inexpensive actually since most of the books that I use are available as free downloads in the public domain. Whatever is not free, I buy on Amazon for a steep discount and free shipping. Mostly everything is non consumable and can be used by all children. Other things such as nature journals and copywork books I make myself. I couldn't just use all of one because there are so many great learning paths out there from different sites. My children get a well rounded education using all of the best resources I can gather.

As far as the Astronomy notebooking journal, I would strongly pass on that because it's really meant for older children who are accustomed to writing at length. I would however suggest a lapbooking accompaniment to the book which can be bought here. It's a real gem! http://www.currclick.com/product_info.php?products_id=42081&it=1&filters=0_0_0_0_0

Good Luck with whatever you choose. We're also Catholic and I taught two of my children to read so far using the Little Stories for Little Folks books. They are so easy to use.

I piece our curricula together to meet my kids' needs. The last time I looked at a curriculum, it was My Father's World, and I found the resources entirely too simplistic for my kids. It confirmed that I needed to continue piecing it together myself.

I WISH WISH WISH there was a complete curriculum that I could buy & love. I've tried a few times to go that route, as it would be so much easier! However, I tweak the darn thing til it's unrecognizable. Now, we just purchase bit by bit, subject by subject. I still love the idea of a one stop shop though.

Susan

I like having some kind of preset plan, for me to adjust and change afterwards. I like have a spine/plan to work off of, though. For the most part, we've used MODG as our base, but I'm looking at next year following the free plans from Mater Amabilis. I may stick to MODG for my older ones, and use some of the MA suggestions for the younger ones.

I thought I'd want to piece it together myself, but I just want to do EVERYTHING and can't seem to say no to any books. I bought Heart of Dakota and am excited to use something where the decisions have been made for me (although I'm still free to add in any books I can't resist!)

I have pieced it together for the last three years, and really like doing it that way. I know what I like and what meets our needs. However, I have been looking into 'boxed' sets because I have another child starting next year and I thought it might help simplify our lives (well mine at least!) if it were all laid out for me. My only issue with this is what if they child excels in one area and lags in another? Right now I can adjust our curric. based on his growth in a particular area. I don't want to get "boxed" in (pun intended ;)) and not have the flexibility that I am used to.