Menu

The Giver--what age?

I think you need to read it first. It is very disturbing in parts. I bawled my eyes out and held it back from my then 12 y/o ds. I knew he wouldn't handle parts of it well at all. :( OTOH, my dd read it when she was 12 b/c she just handles things differently, kwim?

I wish I hadn't read it as I have far too sensitive a soul. *Far* too sensitive. :-/ But I am extremely thankful I read it before allowing my ds to read it.

I doubt it will ever be appropriate for my dd10. She is like me. She cannot let go of painful thoughts or ideas or stories.

Please read it since you know your dc and are the best equipped to know how they will handle it.

I think it depends on the child. It is a thought- and discussion-provoking story, but there are scenes that are quite disturbing. In particular, there is one scene in which the main character's father smothers an infant. I'd pre-read it before you decide.

Cat

:iagree: Dd read it last year and that was the part she hated the most about it. We discussed it, and honestly, it was an interesting discussion from my perspective to see her reaction to that part.

It is a thought provoking story, provided the child is mature enough to understand what's going on.

I hold it off until our dc are 12 or 13. It's one of those books that can be read and understood at a younger age, but the enthusiasm (sometimes shock) that comes with the initial reading leads to some great discussions and those can go much deeper with an older child.

I think it depends on the child. It is a thought- and discussion-provoking story, but there are scenes that are quite disturbing. In particular, there is one scene in which the main character's father smothers an infant. I'd pre-read it before you decide.

Cat

Yikes. I am ordering it to preread. Thanks.

IIRC, the infant is actually killed by lethal injection. Remember? Right into his fontanel. Horrific.

I was 12 or so when The Giver was published and that's when I read it. I've found it more upsetting the older I've become...especially reading now as a mother.

Three of my kids read it at 10 or so, but I read it for me when they were little, so I was prepared to discuss it with them. They all found the book thought-provoking.

(I should clarify that I didn't suggest it to them at this age, but I did not make them wait until they were older to read it when they brought it home.)

IIRC, the infant is actually killed by lethal injection. Remember? Right into his fontanel. Horrific.

Oh - that is correct. I knew it was something awful that killed the baby (and the old people), but they called it something else...like being "released"? Or something, to deter from what actually happened.

I've found it more upsetting the older I've become...especially reading now as a mother.

I think this is definitely true, which is why my dd12 could read it, kwim? She isn't a mom. But my ds has always been uber - attached to his baby siblings. I knew that for him, that part would be insurmountable. Same with my currently 10 yo dd.

But many (most?) dc will be able to read it. I just have 2 that it really isn't a good idea for. That is why I think it is so important for the mom to read it first, kwim? :)

Oh - that is correct. I knew it was something awful that killed the baby (and the old people), but they called it something else...like being "released"? Or something, to deter from what actually happened.

Yep, being released is punishment but also a means to ensure monotony in death. They even joke about it. Before he knows the truth, Jonas kids about releasing Asher when he messes up at a game or something.

Lois Lowry is brilliant but this book is scary! Has everyone read the loose sequels? Gathering Blue and The Messenger. Jonas and Gabriel show up in the latter.

I liked this series a lot (I'm a fan of dystopian lit anyway) and would probably recommend middle school on up, depending on how sensitive the child is and how much reading and discussing you plan on doing together. I can see discussing it with my fairly mature 9-year-old in the next year or so, but I definitely wouldn't just hand it over to her. The scene with the baby is disturbing (spoiler alert) but also an important scene because it confirms the suspicions the main character has had that the utopia in which he lives is not what it seems.

I think this is definitely true, which is why my dd12 could read it, kwim? She isn't a mom. But my ds has always been uber - attached to his baby siblings. I knew that for him, that part would be insurmountable. Same with my currently 10 yo dd.

But many (most?) dc will be able to read it. I just have 2 that it really isn't a good idea for. That is why I think it is so important for the mom to read it first, kwim? :)

Totally agree! My mother was my school's librarian and certainly encouraged this book and others with challenging content.

I used to teach 8th grade Language Arts in ps before having my 2nd child. We read it together as a class, and the concepts created the most amazing discussions with the students. I don't think I'd go any lower than 7th grade, however (imho). I also believe it's a book that should/needs to be read & discussed rather than just read alone.

My ds was 11 at the time and was/is very mature. It was definitely thought provoking as others have stated, and while there are some disturbing sections of the book, we discussed it in the context in which is was written. I definitely would not have had him read it without discussing it. Just last week, he said that was one of his favorite books.;) I would say I thought it was very well written, and I too would give it high marks.

Maybe 14. I know it's recommended earlier, but I purchased it for DD to read when she was 12, and preread it, and put it away for a while.

What makes it so disturbing is that the father who does this is so good in all other ways. It's kind of presented as part of his job. The culture is so positive in feel, with this major dark side as quite a shock when it arises; and it almost makes the case that this must be the right thing to do (although that is not the book's stance.)

It is certainly well-written, however.

We picked it up as a read aloud. thankfully, I got wrapped up in it (doesn't normally happen to me) and I began to read ahead. I am so glad. I stopped it as our read aloud, but I let dd12 complete in on her own. The other two were so disappointed since they were already 1/3 of the way through and were very into it, but I didn't think it appropriate for them. A very thought provoking book with a very pro-life message at the core.

My dd and I just read it this fall. It did lead to many interesting conversations and gave me more insight into how her mind works. My dd is fairly mature for her age, though, and we''ve had many previous talks (initiated by her) over the past year on subjects many would probably consider too advanced for her. She chose The Giver herself and dragged me along for the ride (it came out well after highschool for me).

As for the sequels, we just finished Gathering Blue and are starting Messenger.

Ah, yes, you're right. I'd forgotten, probably blocked it out. My youngest was still a babe when I read the book, and I was absolutely overcome by that scene. I had to put the book down and walk away.

That said, my oldest was 13 at the time and handled both the actual book and our discussions quite well. I will likely have my boys read The Giver when they are mature enough.

Cat

I can't remember what age I was when I read it, but it still gives me chills. My 9 year old dd is not very sensitive, but I think she would not "get" some of the underlying themes (still has trouble with reading comprehension) so we will wait a few more years. I do think it's an important book to read, though, especially in today's world.

I was in 5th grade when it came out, so 10 when I read it. I remember thinking it was totally fascinating, and I didn't have an issue with it, and I was a VERY sensitive child... like I couldn't read Goosebumps or even mystery books. To this day I still remember the discussion I had with my teacher about it during lunch.

I just read "Deconstructing Penguins" and they talked about this book. Don't they recommend it as a 4th grade book? They also recommend Animal Farm in 4th grade which I didn't read until high school.

I might get the book and pre read now.

Kelly

See, I read that too, and that's partly what made me ask the question to begin with. I had always thought it was meant for older children, but then I read DP and it said 4th. I guess I just need to read it for myself first.

I almost handed it to my 7th grader and felt prompted to read it first. I am glad I did. I would not do it lower than high school- I am thinking somewhere in the 15-17 yo range. It is thought provoking and disturbing. It is actualy one of the most disturbing books I have ever read and one I still think of. Extremely well written, but not for children, imho.