Menu

CC: (Prayer Request) One last visit for my husband with his sister....

So, Here's our New Year's prayer request. My husband is with his sister, in MI, one last time. Everyone knows that this is "good-bye", because she has Lou Gehrigs Disease, and she's had it for quite a while. She's on liquids for nourishment, and on a breathing machine...

She's sad and scared, as knowing that you're so close to death, is hard. Seeing all your family together, while they are planning to be living... and they are preparing for you to die... feels... so... unfair.... and sad... and alone... even though there is family around you.

The "CC" part of this, is that she doesn't profess faith in Christ. My husband and his brother and his wife... are all going to be able to share the gospel... again... this Saturday. Perhaps tomorrow, too. We'd love prayer that his sister's heart will be ready to accept God's love for her... and that she will be able to accept God's free gift of grace and be "at peace."

We'd appreciate prayer ;)

I will pray for the family and your SIL. My dh has a co-worker he worked closely with for several years that came down with the same terrible disease. It is heart breaking. He too is in the same stages of the disease. This past fall he got an eye tracking computer to communicate with.

So, Here's our New Year's prayer request. My husband is with his sister, in MI, one last time. Everyone knows that this is "good-bye", because she has Lou Gehrigs Disease, and she's had it for quite a while. She's on liquids for nourishment, and on a breathing machine...

She's sad and scared, as knowing that you're so close to death, is hard. Seeing all your family together, while they are planning to be living... and they are preparing for you to die... feels... so... unfair.... and sad... and alone... even though there is family around you.

The "CC" part of this, is that she doesn't profess faith in Christ. My husband and his brother and his wife... are all going to be able to share the gospel... again... this Saturday. Perhaps tomorrow, too. We'd love prayer that his sister's heart will be ready to accept God's love for her... and that she will be able to accept God's free gift of grace and be "at peace."

I'm sorry :grouphug: Praying for your SIL that she is able to accept the truth of God's love and that she passes peacefully.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: and prayers.

Just a thought -- I know the family means well by preaching to your dh's sister, but perhaps it would be better if they accepted her as she is, and prayed for her, rather than trying to convert her in her final hours. She is under tremendous stress right now, and she might feel a lot better if people just held her hand and talked about the good times and how much they love her, than if she feels bombarded by pressure to believe in something that just doesn't work for her at this time.

Cat

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: and prayers.

Just a thought -- I know the family means well by preaching to your dh's sister, but perhaps it would be better if they accepted her as she is, and prayed for her, rather than trying to convert her in her final hours. She is under tremendous stress right now, and she might feel a lot better if people just held her hand and talked about the good times and how much they love her, than if she feels bombarded by pressure to believe in something that just doesn't work for her at this time.

Cat

No worries about this part. They aren't shoving anything down her throat. They just wanted to present the opportunity of salvation. Of course, nothing is real if it's not heartfelt, and so they aren't just looking for a "yes". They are also doing what you're suggesting... talking of memories.... taking pictures... just loving on her. Thanks for the suggestions and prayers :)

No worries about this part. They aren't shoving anything down her throat. They just wanted to present the opportunity of salvation. Of course, nothing is real if it's not heartfelt, and so they aren't just looking for a "yes". They are also doing what you're suggesting... talking of memories.... taking pictures... just loving on her. Thanks for the suggestions and prayers :)

Thanks for the clarification. I was concerned that they might be so worried about her salvation that they were putting too much (well-intentioned) pressure on her. Now I realize that they're not doing that at all. It sounds like they're doing everything possible to comfort her.

I'm so sorry your family has to go through this. ALS is a horrible disease.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Cat

I'm so sorry for your loss and what your family is going through, and for your SIL.

I do just want to say, kindly, that as your SIL has heard the gospel before (according to your message) and that you might not wish to share it again, repeatedly (according to your OP).

I know you're trying not to push, but saying the same thing over and over again is pressuring and making an already hard time that much more difficult. I'm sure, after you share one time, if you'll spend the rest of the time discussing and sharing things that are meaningful to _her_ would be much more of a comfort.

I have a dear friend who struggles with how he dealt with his uncle's death. He spent lots of time "sharing" about Jesus with him, and now feels that he was just making his uncle's passing that much more unpleasant.

Just be careful and considerate. These are your SIL's last days. You may think sharing the gospel is the most loving thing you can do. So share. Once. Honor her decision and know that she can change her mind at any time. Then, love your SIL in a way that's meaningful to her.

I hope this doesn't come across cruelly. I just want to. . . make you aware. Again, I'm so sad you're all going through this.