Menu

What words really get under your skin?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"ginormous" :ack2:

"Giant" is a real word. "Enormous" is one, too. Pick whichever one floats your boat, but please don't run them together. It doesn't make you look cool, just ignorant.

:lol:

and

"sweet"

When kids think something is cool. It's even worse when, "you know" "like" when adults use it.:tongue_smilie:

chillax. So stupid.

"Giant" is a real word. "Enormous" is one, too. Pick whichever one floats your boat, but please don't run them together. It doesn't make you look cool, just ignorant.

I listened to a segment on NPR about this very thing today (I think it was Fresh Air). They had a person who works for a dictionary (Heritage, I think) and they asked him about the words that are really two words mashed together. He said they rarely make it in to the dictionary, but do when they begin to get used in multiple media outlets and don't have to explain the word's meaning. Somehow this fact doesn't validate their existence for me.

Those are all good except for "crisp", "slice", and "moist". I don't understand those...

I will add

"Really?" (the sarcastic version)

"In terms of ..."

"Keepin' it real"

"Reality check"

"empowering"

"disadvantaged youth" or "at risk youth" when referring to meaningless charities and fundraising

"issues" when referring to personal problems and deficiencies

"bling"

"passionate" when referring to a hobby or MLM one just really likes and spends too much money and time on

"we as a society"

"we must come together"

"What the heck?" (when used by children)

"What the hell?" (when used by children)

"Oh my G*d!" (When used by anyone)

"eco-friendly"

"rips" when referring to the act of loudly criticizing someone

"douchebag" (it's the new @$$hole)

"frickin' " yeah, we know what you meant, coward

ebonics in general

I forgot "Yummo". Rachel Ray seems like an alright lady but I am not a fan. I don't hate her like Anthony Bourdain who does rip on her like like a d**chebag.

Edited by LG Gone Wild

Panties. :ack2::ack2:

"Like" is bad, but I'm, like, still working on eradicating that one completely.

Also "wieners." Eww. Call them hotdogs, please! And speaking of food, subs should never be called "blimpies" or "hoagies." Sounds so much like what it does to your figure.

Guilty. :blushing:

'aint'. Shoves me right through the roof. Diva knows it too...I'm going to have to come up with a serious consequence for purposely needling her mother :glare:

It isn't so much the words, but the mispronunciation that dh does on purpose thinking it is cool. Mayonnaise with an "r" in it. There is one, I can't remember right off, that he slaps a "t" on the end.

The mispronunciation in the general populace of regardless. There is really no "ir" at the beginning of that word. Saying it as "irregardless" changes the meaning of the word and generally makes the sentence which has the mispronounced word in it make no sense.

As to the OP, real words the make me crazy are the five letter slang word that can mean a cat or a specific female body part and the term "lube job."

"douchebag" (it's the new @$$hole)

I hate that word! My son's friend used it when he was visiting last week (it must be common enough among friends that he doesn't even realize when he's saying it) and I asked him to check his teen language at the door.

Rachel Ray seems like an alright lady but I am not a fan. I don't hate her like Anthony Bourdain who does rip on her like like a d**chebag.

For me the ones that come to mind immediately are "sample" and "tip". Especially the second one. :bigear:

"Preggers" :ack2:

What really bugs me though is the misspelling of words like definitely and definately or the mix-up usage of advice and advise. I know it shouldn't bug me as I am sure I write things that annoy others, but those do :willy_nilly: to me. :D

I forgot "Yummo". Rachel Ray seems like an alright lady but I am not a fan. I don't hate her like Anthony Bourdain who does rip on her like like a d**chebag.

Hilarious!! I think Bourdain is the exact opposite of Ray in every way! LOL :D Oh, and "yummo" - that is :rolleyes: I think a lot of the cooks try to come up with their own signature word or action and that seems rather silly to me. I do crack up when they use the same word over and over. Everything's delicious! ;)

Gosh, I have more. OP has struck a nerve I didn't know I had!

"booty" that's almost as bad as "panties"

"v@gina" I am sorry but this is the ugliest word imaginable.

"Kick his @ss!" when referring to ANYTHING competitive

"kickin' @ss and takin' names" I don't know what that means but it sounds stupid

"MILF" don't like the acronym, don't like the look

"cougar" when referring to a cradle robber/snatcher

"snatch" when NOT used as a verb

"hydrate" i.e. drink water, wear lotion

Most words that Rachel Ray abuses. Her little giggle as she explains, "I call it stoup because it's thicker than a soup, but not as thick as a stew....hehehe" makes me want to HURL A LA CRUESETTE AT HER HEAD!!!

and yummo

and evoo

and sammie

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Oh, and I hate how my some people pronounce enchilada....he says "ANchilada". ick. And people who say "hamburger meat". ick Again, we do not say 'hampork' or 'chickenpoultry'.

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

Most words that Rachel Ray abuses. Her little giggle as she explains, "I call it stoup because it's thicker than a soup, but not as thick as a stew....hehehe" makes me want to HURL A LA CRUESETTE AT HER HEAD!!!

and yummo

and evoo

and sammie

I am laughing out loud at my computer screen. This is SO funny to me. :cheers2:

and yummo

and evoo

and sammie

Oh, and I hate how my dh pronounces enchilada....he says "ANchilada". ick. And people who say "hamburger meat". ick Again, we do not say 'hampork' or 'chickenpoultry'.

!!!

I made a new recipe yesterday evening and asked my son, "How would you categorize this? Is it a soup? Is it a stew? Is it a..."

He said, "Oh, please. Do NOT say stoup."

And sammie? What person over seven years old calls those layers of goodness between two slices of bread a sammie?!

I agree with many on this thread, but one that hasn't been tossed out yet is "prolly" (sp?) when the word "probably" is intended. I don't even know if I am spelling the mis-spelling/mis-pronunciation appropriately, but I have seen it here and on other message boards (and heard it IRL) and every time it just makes me want to scream!