Menu

Chex Party Mix: To Make or Not to Make?

Chex Party Mix: To Make or Not to Make?  

1. 1. Chex Party Mix: To Make or Not to Make?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other option

Always :D My mom did growing up - we always had it. So now that she's gone, it's one of the things that I find myself making every Christmas, using her pans, no matter what else is being made. This year has been a pretty hum bug year for me. I've done done any baking or festive things that I normally do..just whatever I can get by with. But I did find myself pulling out the pans and products to make Chex Mix last night...and the house smells like my mom's love even today :)

We don't normally eat this type of stuff.....but it's one of those that we always get for after Christmas-through New Year's Eve. We buy the big bag at Sam's Club....this year it looks like they have a Chipotle flavor one, so that's what we'll try!

Used to make it, but it was always a bit of work, and not cheap after you buy all the individual ingredients.....so buying the big bag makes more sense to us. It's $4 for almost 2 pounds of the stuff at Sams.

We don't normally eat this type of stuff.....but it's one of those that we always get for after Christmas-through New Year's Eve. We buy the big bag at Sam's Club....this year it looks like they have a Chipotle flavor one, so that's what we'll try!

Used to make it, but it was always a bit of work, and not cheap after you buy all the individual ingredients.....so buying the big bag makes more sense to us. It's $4 for almost 2 pounds of the stuff at Sams.

except for those $4 you will get all sorts of chemicals that wn't be in my homemade version...so to me, it's worth a little bit of work...and I wait for the cereal to go sale and then I stock up.

Always :D My mom did growing up - we always had it. So now that she's gone, it's one of the things that I find myself making every Christmas, using her pans, no matter what else is being made. This year has been a pretty hum bug year for me. I've done done any baking or festive things that I normally do..just whatever I can get by with. But I did find myself pulling out the pans and products to make Chex Mix last night...and the house smells like my mom's love even today :)

My grandma made it every year, and gave huge tins full of it to all of her kids. I've never made it until this year, but I am going to continue the tradition every year, from now on!

The only bad thing is, my dc didn't like the original, so I ended up eating it all! We also make Muddy Buddies, and give it away as gifts. Going to keep that tradition, also.

except for those $4 you will get all sorts of chemicals that wn't be in my homemade version...so to me, it's worth a little bit of work...and I wait for the cereal to go sale and then I stock up.

Aren't most of those chemicals in the ingredients that you're buying too? Execept maybe the cheese powder in the chipotle cheddar flavoring this year of course.

Since we eat this once a year I'm not really going to worry about the chemicals though.

Aren't most of those chemicals in the ingredients that you're buying too? Execept maybe the cheese powder in the chipotle cheddar flavoring this year of course.

Since we eat this once a year I'm not really going to worry about the chemicals though.

I would think that most of the chemical stuff is in the seasoning...not in the cereal or pretzels....for example...if you even look at the seaon packs you can buy...there are all sorts of ingredients that you can't pronounce unless you are a chemist...and at least the ingredients on the Chex boxes are real, normal, everyday words...and we use Annie's cheddar bunnies and we use organic nuts...so the pretzels are the only really not good for you ingredient.

DH uses this one--just messes around w/the ingredients depending on what we're wanting. He always keeps the seasonings the same, but leaves out pretzels and nuts and puts in Cheetos. Things like that.

this is exactly what I do too...it's fun to add extra things...I have added kix cereal, one year I found some need cheddar sticks at the health food store...looking for the extras is half the fun....

Someone post their recipe! :0)

Please!

Traditional Chex Party Mix

1/4 cup butter

1 1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt

4 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

8 cups of Chex Cereal (We do three cups of rice/corn and 2 cups of wheat)

1 cup salted mixed nuts or peanuts

2 cups mini pretzels

Melt butter on high in microwave for 1.5 minutes.

Add seasoning salt and worcestershire sauce and wisk together.

Place cereal, nuts and pretzels in a big bowl. Stir with your hands to mix.

Pour into a roasting pan. Drizzle butter mixture over. Turn with spoon until evenly coated.

Bate at 250 degrees for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.

Spread on paper towel to cool. Store in an airtight container.

I make it twice yearly - once for Christmas and once for my girls weekend. I use Ree's recipe, and change it up just slightly. It's SO good and not spicy, even though I was nervous about the addition of tabasco.

Copied/Pasted from an e-mail to a friend:

Chex Mix

3 cups Corn Chex

2 cups Wheat Chex

2 cups Rice Chex

2 cups Quaker Oatmeal Squares

2 cups pretzel sticks

2 cups mixed nuts

1 to 1 1/2 sticks butter

2-4 cloves garlic

3 T Worcestershire

6-12 shakes Tabasco (or other hot sauce)

1 t. Lawry's Seasoned Salt

1/4 t. onion powder

Put cereal, pretzels and nuts in large bowl.

In microwave safe bowl

add remaining ingredients and microwave until butter is melted. Stir and pour over cereal, gently mixing as you go.

Transfer mix onto 2 foil covered baking sheets (I actually use a large roasting pan - foil lined.). Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

Let cool and store in airtight container.

I like Corn Chex the best, which is why I use 3 cups of that. I think the original Chex Mix recipe calls for 3 cups of all three flavors, but since I add the Oatmeal Squares, I reduce the Wheat & Rice. For the mixed nuts I usually add 1 cup of peanuts and 1 cup of mixed nuts (minus brazils) - again it is what I prefer, but obviously customizable. I think last time I made it my mixed nuts had macadamias and I recall they were yummy in the mix!