Menu

Is "RUDE" relative????

So we all have things we think are "rude"... whether it's people who refuse to take their shoes off in someone else's home or those who insist you do, those who refuse to take carts back and those who think it is rude to require it, those who think you should say excuse me when passing and those who think it is rude to bring snacks into a theater, etc etc (:D).

We seem to have a hard time agreeing on what is "rude" and what isn't.

Living in a foreign country gives me lots of opportunities to reflect on my perceived "rudeness" of others. For instance, here in Malaysia it is considered perfectly acceptable to:

-tailgate in traffic

-cut people off (and NEVER make use of the turn signal)

-cut in front of someone in line whenever you feel like it

-stand RIGHT behind someone at the ATM machine (I literally can feel them breathing on my neck)

-rush onto an elevator as soon as the doors open without bothering to wait for people to get off

-never hold doors open for others

-slurp your soup

-chew with your mouth open

-belch at the table (at home and in public)

etc etc etc

Now when I say these are "perfectly acceptable" I am not kidding. If you were to call someone out on one of these things (and I have for a few of them) they just look at you puzzled....like they have NO IDEA why you are upset. And they really don't because to them these behaviors are not "rude".

So that got me thinking... how do you define "rude"...and can anyone really? I am not talking about things that are MORALLY reprehensible just things that are ya know...rude. :tongue_smilie:

So we hive ladies can't agree on what is and isn't rude a lot of the time and many of the things that I have thought were rude my whole life are considered not rude at all here and I am sure there are things that we Americans do that the Malaysians consider rude and I don't even know what that is.

So what do you think? Are some things just RUDE and others are not? Or is RUDE relative?

Yeah, it's probably relative. My mom told me never to yawn without covering my mouth. But for the last 20 years, I have been seeing people do this in public. Was my mom just really strict? Have people's feelings about the "rudeness" of yawning without covering their mouth changed? I don't know.

Btw, I live in India, and I see many of the same things here that you see in Malaysia. Maybe it's Asian culture?

I think it's totally relative! It's all a mesh of family upbringing, culture, and then later on as an adult what you decide is correct behavior for yourself. For example, my parents are Hispanic, but I was born in the US. At home, the "goodbye" is very important....no matter how long or short you'll be gone, you'd better give everyone an appropriate good bye, including hug, possibly a kiss, etc.... (even if you're just going out for a gallon of milk.) Not to do this would be considered very rude. I sort of had to "train" my American husband about this, because he didn't see what the big deal was if it was just a short errand. He does it now at my parents house, but he won't go around saying goodbye to all the kids at home if he's just out for a gallon of milk. (He'll let ME know he's going, though!)

In MilitaryLand, it's considered rude not to write a thank you note after visiting a person's house (say for dinner or another kind of gathering.) This is especially true among the more "seasoned" spouses. Most of my civilian friends have never heard of this.

I think maybe rudeness is thinking that your way is always better than everyone else's and ignoring the way everyone else feels. The challenge is trying to figure out what other people consider to be rude, and then being sensitive to it. Take the "shoes in the house" thread. I personally like to wear shoes all the time at home, but if I know someone prefers that I remove my shoes in their home, then that's what I do. It would be "ruder" to stick to my version of manners, even if I think taking off shoes is totally bizarre. (IMO) I didn't read the snack in theaters thread, but I think that's less rude and just wrong because there is an actual RULE about that. (Rules trump rudeness, IMO)

good points:

In MilitaryLand, it's considered rude not to write a thank you note after visiting a person's house (say for dinner or another kind of gathering.) This is especially true among the more "seasoned" spouses.

That explains why we received a note from a couple we invited...I did not know! I figured she was just a thoughtful person who wrote thankyou notes the way I do. I'm afraid we are a dyiing breed. LOL

I think maybe rudeness is thinking that your way is always better than everyone else's and ignoring the way everyone else feels.

:iagree:

The challenge is trying to figure out what other people consider to be rude, and then being sensitive to it.

:iagree:

I grew up in Aruba, and our neighbors were from Malaysia. Slurping the soup and belching is rude in Aruba, but they did it because in their culture it means you enjoyed the soup. Perfectly acceptable.

In Aruba it's considered rude not to greet people. You always say hello on the street, at the doctor's office, making small talk with strangers is encouraged and you always at least smile. In addition, it's perfectly acceptable to interrupt. The conversation goes two ways, and you hear people in lively discussions, talking between each other. I still struggle with thus one, even though I've been living in the US for almost 14 years. It's really hard to hold my tongue and just listen until the other person is completely done :tongue_smilie:

In Aruba growing up it was normal to see people on the roads letting others go first, give directions, etc. Connecting with people is so important there. So if there happened to be two cars parked and chatting, it was courteous to wait at least half a minute to have them end their conversation. They would certainly move out of the way quickly too, as social graces are important there. In the past going to church or hotels with shorts was an absolute no-no, you always dressed up in your good clothes. Believe it or not, American tourists have changed all that. There are some people there that consider normal American behavior rude, like asking someone what kind of job they do before getting to know the person, or even worse, what kind of race/etnnicity the person is. In Aruba, this is a non-issue. Most people are mixed heritage with many different cultures and ethnicities, and we grow up living diversity, not having it be artificial. Plus Aruba was unique in that it experienced no slavery in the past.

In certain parts of the Middle East I know it's rude to sit with your foot pointing towards the other person, or your hands folded in a certain way. That said, it's perfectly acceptable to dip in your food with your hands, like couscous or rice.

The short answer is absolutely, rudeness is relative.

I too live in a foreign country, but one that is incredibly polite. I live in Japan.

Living in a foreign country gives me lots of opportunities to reflect on my perceived "rudeness" of others. For instance, here in Malaysia it is considered perfectly acceptable to:

-tailgate in traffic

-cut people off (and NEVER make use of the turn signal)--these two, nope. You wait your turn, allow other cars to go ahead of you. Only a light tap of the horn if someone didn't realize the light has changed. And you thank drivers by flashing your hazard lights a couple times. (The US does not use their hazard lights near enough as they should)

-cut in front of someone in line whenever you feel like it--nope, everyone here waits in line, huge lines for even the smallest things.

-stand RIGHT behind someone at the ATM machine (I literally can feel them breathing on my neck)

-rush onto an elevator as soon as the doors open without bothering to wait for people to get off--just the opposite, when waiting for an elevator or more often the train, you stand to the side, in line, and let everyone off first

-never hold doors open for others

-slurp your soup--ok, this is the polite thing to do here too.:lol:

-chew with your mouth open

-belch at the table (at home and in public)

etc etc etc

It is completely relative to the person and the culture. When we were in the states, we couldn't believe the number of "rude" people constantly honking their horns, rushing to go places. Then again, when we returned from two years in Italy, we couldn't believe how "polite" America was.

The US doesn't use their hazard lights near enough as they should.

Wow, I learned that hazard lights were for hazards, not giving greetings. FWIW, use of hazard lights are listed as rules in state license manuals. So mis-using hazard lights could get you a ticket.

Edited by Night Elf

Where I grew up in Africa this was was I learned.

-cut in front of someone in line whenever you feel like it Perfectly acceptable because you never knew when things would run out and you wanted to be sure to get some.

-never hold doors open for others What door? Seriously, the door was portable. :D

-slurp your soup Of course! However else would the cook know you enjoyed it?!

-belch at the table It would be rude if you did not, seriously. First thing I learned when dining out was to burp at the meal's end to let the cook know I appreciated it.

I was always told it was rude to chew gum in public. My dad used to say it made people look like cows chewing their cud. He also used to freak if we were chewing gum and popped a bubble or snapped the gum. I see this stuff all the time though. Chewing gum doesn't bug me until I see people doing it with their mouths open or they are snapping their gum. That gets on my nerves.

Absolutely. It may be culture, but it can also be upbringing and just plain selfishness too.

Think about some of the things we see/hear on this very board. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:I think rudeness is relative, but I also think that the reason a person thinks something is rude is because they view it as being selfish or self-promoting.

Yes, I know that personal space is different in lots of cultures around the world and generally, in more crowded areas of the world where people live in larger family groups, personal space is much less than it is here in the U.S. Belching is also considered a compliment to good food in many areas.

So what's considered good manners vs. bad manners is going to be different from culture to culture around the world. You have to interpret good manners from the perspective of the culture in which you're living....

Cultural, definitely. Even region to region in the US there are slight differences in what is rude and what isn't. In the south there are certain things gentlemen don't do or say in front of kids or little old ladies. In the northeast the kids and little old ladies are the ones doing/saying things that boggle the mind. Also there is the casualness of the west vs. the formality of the east.

Ouote In MilitaryLand, it's considered rude not to write a thank you note after visiting a person's house (say for dinner or another kind of gathering.) This is especially true among the more "seasoned" spouses. Most of my civilian friends have never heard of this. Ouote

We've been military for 11 years now, and before that my dad was in the Army. I've never heard of this before.

We have two sets of table manners, depending on whether we are eating Chinese style or Western style. When eating from a Chinese bowl, you should lift it up (rather than leaving it on the table) and something like a chicken wing should be picked up with the chopsticks then nibbled (something I would never do from a fork). We avoid slurping at all times, however, although that is acceptable in Chinese society.

And there are table manners differences even between the UK and the US.

Laura

Ouote In MilitaryLand, it's considered rude not to write a thank you note after visiting a person's house (say for dinner or another kind of gathering.) This is especially true among the more "seasoned" spouses. Most of my civilian friends have never heard of this. Ouote

We've been military for 11 years now, and before that my dad was in the Army. I've never heard of this before.

Same here and I was raised in the military.

Cultural, definitely. Even region to region in the US there are slight differences in what is rude and what isn't. In the south there are certain things gentlemen don't do or say in front of kids or little old ladies. In the northeast the kids and little old ladies are the ones doing/saying things that boggle the mind. Also there is the casualness of the west vs. the formality of the east.

I find the midwest to be stuffier about expectations of others and the east to be more laid back and accepting of differing cultural norms.

The Mennonite/Amish families not only slurp their soups, they CLINK, clink, Clink, ClINK their spoons and forks on the bottom of their plates and bowls to scrap every last bit off when eating. It's noisy. Basically, where I came from, I'd be called a pig (eating like an animal) and had my hand smacked if I had done that growing up. Nope, it's a perfectly normal thing for them and they aren't corrected on it.

I guess I would not be happy in Malaysia or Africa (what part was that?). I liked being in both England and Belgium and many Americans I knew did not because they thought they were rude- why? because they are more formal that Americans. They tend not to ask personal questions and also don't talk to you with fake familiarity. I don't like waiters acting like my friend or other types of behavior like that. My FIL was very bad at this- he was obsessed with money and how much everything cost. We ignored those requests since we didn't think it was polite to inquire unless you are trying to buy something like that too and want to know if you can afford it. THat wasn't the case with FIL.

Most things are relative, including what is rude or not. Just look at any given thread on any topic of behaviour on this board. Even people from the very same towns are going to have different ideas on what is rude or not.

Yup, definitely relative. I had to learn what good manners meant in the UK, then with my South Asian friends and relatives and then again in the US, both coasts! Of course, every time we visit my family in Spain I also have to remind my children about some of the things that are perfectly acceptable in the US that are not considered polite in Spain and vice versa to minimize the culture shock!

I wonder if it's service specific? DH is in the Marines. My sister's MIL was also a Marine wife and she does this too.

Having said that, I think maybe this little trend is starting to fall by the wayside, especially with younger wives.

I guess that just proves the point....it is all relative!

Most things are relative, including what is rude or not. Just look at any given thread on any topic of behaviour on this board. Even people from the very same towns are going to have different ideas on what is rude or not.

So then are we just using an improper definition when we ask whether or not something is rude? is it even possible to define it if it is relative and no one can agree on it?

And if we all know this (at least on some level) then why do we get mad when somone does something "rude"? For instance, say you are walking through a crowded mall and someone walks by and you bump shoulders...in the U.S. (at least where I am from) you would say "excuse me" or "I'm sorry" or something like that. Not here. They just keep walking. And it is not considered rude. Now when the man bumped into me at the mall this weekend and just kept walking I was instantly agitated and thought how RUDE he was. But according to his culture, he wasn't being rude at all.

So why do we even have words like "rude" or "polite" when trying to define them is like trying to nail jello to a wall?

I wonder if it's service specific? DH is in the Marines. My sister's MIL was also a Marine wife and she does this too.

Having said that, I think maybe this little trend is starting to fall by the wayside, especially with younger wives.

I guess that just proves the point....it is all relative!

It's also something we've always done and DH is Navy. It very well could be falling by the wayside, but then again lots of things are, such as FRG groups, they just aren't as needed with all the technology available to keep in touch now.

I've found that I really miss living in housing because it truly is different. We don't fit in anything they can offer us and things big enough have a waiting list that is months longer than the time my dh's orders are for.

I agree with many that rudeness can be a very relative thing.

-cut in front of someone in line whenever you feel like it Perfectly acceptable because you never knew when things would run out and you wanted to be sure to get some.

I totally get the idea of different cultures/relative rudeness, but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this one. I know it's common in other places, but I just can't visualize how it works out. Do people then just cut in front of the person who cut in front of them? Do things just turn into a free-for-all? Or do they just not really bother with lines at all and it's just a free-for-all from the start?? :001_huh:

I totally get the idea of different cultures/relative rudeness, but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this one. I know it's common in other places, but I just can't visualize how it works out. Do people then just cut in front of the person who cut in front of them? Do things just turn into a free-for-all? Or do they just not really bother with lines at all and it's just a free-for-all from the start?? :001_huh:

Well, here you line up but you stand so closely to the person in front of you that you are almost touching them. If there is more than 2 inches between you and the person in front of you, someone will step into that spot and I am not talking just the person behind you...I am talking someone not even in line yet will walk into, say, McDonald's and find an "opening" in the line and step into it and NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE.

This has happened to me so many times at a variety of places and several times I have said "excuse me, but this is MY spot. You will have to go to the end of the line." But the best part is that person thinks I am the one who is being rude. :lol::lol::lol:

In Korea, they don't wait in line either, or don't think they have to. It's not uncommon for you to be in a line, then have someone just walk in front of you as if you weren't even there. I just remember the time we were at a rest stop, and all the Americans were in line. When I got to the front, a Korean "gentleman" tried to cut in front and I just moved back in front of him, he wasn't too happy, but managed to get into the next register before the next person. In most situations it's almost a free for all. If at a a market, you just move your way to the front with your goods and money and wait to be acknowledged. It can be crazy but you get used to it and learn how to work it. The brick and mortar stores are more "civilized."

In Korea, they don't wait in line either, or don't think they have to. It's not uncommon for you to be in a line, then have someone just walk in front of you as if you weren't even there. I just remember the time we were at a rest stop, and all the Americans were in line. When I got to the front, a Korean "gentleman" tried to cut in front and I just moved back in front of him, he wasn't too happy, but managed to get into the next register before the next person. In most situations it's almost a free for all. If at a a market, you just move your way to the front with your goods and money and wait to be acknowledged. It can be crazy but you get used to it and learn how to work it. The brick and mortar stores are more "civilized."

Wow. So it was okay for him to cut in front of you, but he was miffed when you got back in front of him?? That would take some getting used to!

I think this how I use the term:

I use rude to mean to be socially incorrect or improper in behavior, or alternatively behavior that disregards the well-being of others. I think by definition it is relative in part.

This relative nature make it a useful term because it is helpful to adapt to what is considered socially acceptable in respect to one's location, it is also useful to know if a person is not from the area/unfamiliar with the situation because knowing that "they don't know what is polite behavior" allows others to give them grace and not be offended by their behavior.

People who do not follow the expected social patterns of behavior when those patterns are well known to them often are people who are showing their disregard for social norms, to them being rude may be the goal or is, at least, not worthy of their notice. Or at times choosing behavior that is going to be perceived as rude is the only way to actually deal with a situation.

I attempt to behave in a polite manner befitting the area, people and circumstance I am in: Relative nature of rude is helpful here to know how to behave. I take my shoes off by the door and don slippers at MIL's house because that is the expected sign of polite behavior for my husband's family. I don't bring food into a movie theater because that is how the theater owners/managers/employees are making a living, trying not to be rude by avoiding behaviors that "I think" are putting my desires above the well-being of others whose establishment I am choosing to patronize.

Others may view the same behaviors differently but I think in rude/polite one's intentions matter when one is unaware of the norms and one's behavior matters when one is. Morally correct always trumps decisions on behavior.

I can say that I have never really thought so much about the definition of rude/polite prior to this but it has been really interesting reading other perspectives. Thank you!

Edited by lula

Btw, I live in India, and I see many of the same things here that you see in Malaysia. Maybe it's Asian culture?

I see a lot of those things here in Mexico as well, not the belching though.

Here, people think it is really rude that Americans will say hi to each other with just a wave or nod and a "hi" when meeting someone. Regardless of age, the proper way to greet someone is with a hand shake (at least) and (better yet) a cheek to cheek kiss (if you already know each other the 2nd is the only way).

Took me a while to get n to the habit. I used to have to remind myself when meeting people the first time. Now I have to remind myself not to do it when state side.:D

Danielle

Here, people think it is really rude that Americans will say hi to each other with just a wave or nod and a "hi" when meeting someone. Regardless of age, the proper way to greet someone is with a hand shake (at least) and (better yet) a cheek to cheek kiss (if you already know each other the 2nd is the only way).

:svengo:

I would never make it. I have personal space issues and don't like people hugging me except my dh and my children! :tongue_smilie:

This has been an interesting conversation for me. On Saturday we went to Chili's for lunch and the waiter who seemed perfectly nice looked at my caucasian birth child, my korean adopted child and my indian adopted child, pointed to my two adopted children and said "These two look different."

For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind was that song from Sesame Street..."One of these things is not like the other..." :lol::lol::lol:

I simply explained that they were adopted. Now I am sure he meant nothing rude by that BUT in the US his remark would be considered rude. And people here have ZERO problem asking you how much money you make, how much you paid for something, telling you that you have gained weight, and all sorts of other topics my mom always said was rude to talk about. ;)

So now all day I have been wondering what we Americans do that the Malaysians probably think is really rude ?

Wow. So it was okay for him to cut in front of you, but he was miffed when you got back in front of him?? That would take some getting used to!

Yeah, it was probably even more so since I was a woman. Oh well, I'm foreign and don't know any better.;)

Heather, you would not do well in Italy then if personal space is an issue. My family is quite affectionate so it wasn't too bad, but still took some getting used to, everyone coming and kissing the cheeks when meeting. It was also a bit awkward when my Korean friend would hold my hand while we were out. The Koreans were also very touchy of my blond boys and constantly taking pictures with them. The Japanese are a bit more respectful and not as aggressive with my children.

As for what Asians consider "rude" of Americans. Hmmmm. I know I was taught all sorts of things when we arrived, but I can't seem to think of any rightn now, everything has become so "normal." I know it's not looked well upon to talk on your cell-phone while on the trains. In Korea, you couldn't even talk! We were constantly getting shhhushhed. Oh, when riding escalators you stay to the left and in single file so if someone wants to walk up or down the escalator they can on the right.

This has been a very enjoyable and interesting conversation.

So now all day I have been wondering what we Americans do that the Malaysians probably think is really rude ?

Rick Steves' travel books for Europe begin with discussion of how to fit in. 'Loud American' is not a metaphor: Americans culturally talk louder than do Europeans, in general. That means that four Americans on a tube train in London will 'take over' the train carriage just by talking, invading the aural space of all the other passengers.

Laura

Cultural and relative.

I have been to India and Indonesia (Bali) and I totally get that in those countries driving has its own rules.

But what about the rule in Asian countries of not eating with your left hand? In Bali they are fairly westernised in the tourist areas so I dont make much effort there, but in India I need to ...I am left handed. You know what they do with their left hand, dont you? (hint, they dont use toilet paper.) So to them...Westerners can be very rude. There are many other examples where we are very gross to them but mostly, they are too polite to say anything....so it works both ways. I have noticed that personal space is a very western luxury, too. When you live 2 or 3 families in a small home, personal space is definitely a luxury.

Also, I think rudeness is in the eye of the beholder. Getting all upset over someone's rudeness when in reality they are not hurting you, just living their life their way...is silly. Being genuinely inconsiderate or inconvenient is different (such as being late all the time) but in Asian countries the whole sense of time can be different too, so its not even worth getting upset over that!

I think its great to be stretched out of our comfort zone and see that our way is not the only way and not even the right way.

Cultural and relative.

I have been to India and Indonesia (Bali) and I totally get that in those countries driving has its own rules.

But what about the rule in Asian countries of not eating with your left hand? In Bali they are fairly westernised in the tourist areas so I dont make much effort there, but in India I need to ...I am left handed. You know what they do with their left hand, dont you? (hint, they dont use toilet paper.) So to them...Westerners can be very rude. There are many other examples where we are very gross to them but mostly, they are too polite to say anything....so it works both ways. I have noticed that personal space is a very western luxury, too. When you live 2 or 3 families in a small home, personal space is definitely a luxury.

Also, I think rudeness is in the eye of the beholder. Getting all upset over someone's rudeness when in reality they are not hurting you, just living their life their way...is silly. Being genuinely inconsiderate or inconvenient is different (such as being late all the time) but in Asian countries the whole sense of time can be different too, so its not even worth getting upset over that!

I think its great to be stretched out of our comfort zone and see that our way is not the only way and not even the right way.

Yep, the no eating with the left hand thing is big here too. But OTOH we use utensils when we eat and they don't. :D

We have a term here we use called "Malaysian Rubber Time" which means that they show up whenever, businesses open at different times each day depending on when someone finally shows up to open it, etc. So don't get used to having coffee at Starbucks first thing in the morning because more often than not you will show up at the same time as yesterday but today "no can la". :tongue_smilie:

If you get really worked up over promptness then do NOT move to SE Asia!!

Well, here you line up but you stand so closely to the person in front of you that you are almost touching them. If there is more than 2 inches between you and the person in front of you, someone will step into that spot and I am not talking just the person behind you...I am talking someone not even in line yet will walk into, say, McDonald's and find an "opening" in the line and step into it and NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE.

Don't go skiing in Europe either if this bothers you. ;)