Menu

Help Me Choose a Pic..Snow or No Snow :)

I finally got out and snapped a couple of pics for our Christmas card today.

Of course, the beautiful snow that was falling ALL AFTERNOON stopped the second I stepped outside with my camera.

I have this photo I want to use for the front of the card. I was going for a kind of Norman Rockwell painted look.

I can't decide between the pic with snow and the pic without.

I like the snow...but I also think it takes away from the painted effect of the photo.

I don't know..which one do you like better.

Thanks in advance!!!

I should add that in the snow pic the snow should look a little fake. In a regular photo I would have added some motion blur to soften it up, but since I was going for a painted look I kept it clean and crisp.

Christmas-nosnow.jpg

2snowproof.jpg

Jenn

What a great idea! I love it!

I vote for no snow, and if I may offer another suggestion, crop it in just a bit tighter. I'm a bit distracted by the Santa on the left side. Could you crop the left 1/3 of the window off? I think it would draw more attention to the boy peeking in.

No snow. It distracts and detracts. The snow on the ground gives the feeling, the rest is overkill. The image of the boy pops to the front of the photo w/o the snow. In the one with snow..the snow is a primary image and competes with the boy. It also anchors the eye to his legs.

In the first image, my eye starts on the boy, follows the image up and over to the Santa, follows the bushes back to the boy, repeating with the arch of his body bringing the eye back around again. The second time through my eyes start to see what is in the window and looking for 'what' he is looking at. My eyes keep circling and being pleased by the detail.

In the one with the snow, my eye starts on the boy, swiftly goes to Santa,(too much detail w/ the window and snow=not looking at it at all) and lands firmly back at the boys legs and the bricks. I get stuck there, with the snow on his pants looking at the pattern of snow on him and the bricks. The vertical pattern in the snow and bricks, on the darker background, leaves my eye going up and down in that area instead of traveling around the image a second time. I have to force my eyes away from this area to look at the image again. The second time through, I still don't really 'see' what is in the window...too much clutter w/ the snow there too.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap