Menu

Anybody else just LOVE their church?

I cannot tell you how much I love my church. It is a non-denominational church, and we came from a Church of God, so very different. We have been attending for about 14 months and members for about 8 months. It is a medium sized church, at least for this area. There are so many community programs and areas of ministry. The children's program is amazing. It is very much a "come as you are" church, and the people there are so authentic and just real. There is no shame or condemnation, just love and grace and Jesus.

I could go on all day about it, but I won't. ;)

If you love your church, tell us about it!

I would love the same type of church, but have yet to find it. I was attending a non-denominational church with my mom, but it is very much still in its infancy and just not what I need at this point in my life. Everything feels forced and almost "fake" (the children's programs, etc..). I found another that my children LOVE - they have a GREAT children's program. We'll probably stay put there, but the music/sermon doesn't do as much for me.

I love our church, too :). People are all so very accepting of little kid behavior in the service, and are happy to have my kids "sing" in the choir with me (b/c dh is the associate pastor, and so they are always with me Sunday mornings). At a previous church they sort of put up with it, but here they genuinely are ok with it :). And no one comments about my nursing my 2yo in the pew, or about the fact that our kids come everywhere dh & I do (b/c they won't stay with a babysitter). In general there is a lot of grace and live-and-let-live when it comes to most areas of life.

Plus awesome Lutheran theology, which imnsho ;) is the most grace-filled, Christ-centered (and least-legalistic) teaching out there :thumbup: (making the above listed qualities more than just a lucky aberration).

We love ours. Our priest gives a thought provoking/inspiring homily weekly. Everyone is very friendly. There is something for everyone. Some people go very dressed up and others very casual - everyone is accepted. The church fits the "something old - something new" of my personality. The size is just right. I can't really think of a negative.

We had planned to church shop when we moved here. We had not been attending church at all, but felt the need to start for our kids. Dh is Lutheran and I am Catholic, but we were open to any denomination. This church was our first and last stop - it was/is that good!

I cannot tell you how much I love my church. It is a non-denominational church, and we came from a Church of God, so very different. We have been attending for about 14 months and members for about 8 months. It is a medium sized church, at least for this area. There are so many community programs and areas of ministry. The children's program is amazing. It is very much a "come as you are" church, and the people there are so authentic and just real. There is no shame or condemnation, just love and grace and Jesus.

I could go on all day about it, but I won't. ;)

If you love your church, tell us about it!

Our church sounds just like yours! We are blessed, for sure!

I'm cautiously optomistic about the last church we visited. It seems to be a good fit for us. It's part of the Emergent, artsy group...with a solid children's ministry that includes them in quite a bit of the service.

We had a funny moment when dh went to check the kids in: He started to spell our last name (it's quite long) and when they couldn't find it they said, "Hmmmmmmm....I wonder why it's not there?" To which dh says, "Ummmm...probly because we've never been here before ;)."

This started a bunch of scrambling and apologizeing...finally ending in a "You just looked like you belong here!" We both grinned at each other, thinking "Yeah, that's how we feel too."

(this is a very artsy, coffee, bohemian/intellectual church...so they didn't really bat an eye at my very bright gauntlet's!)

www.ecclesiahouston.org

I love my church, too. We've been members for about 7 years and it just keeps getting better. We searched for years to find the right church for us. Dh grew up Baptist and I grew up Methodist. We attended Non-Denom, Methodist, Baptist and finally settled on this very large Methodist church just minutes from our house. I never wanted to give it a try because of its size and I didn't want to just be a number, but we were pleasantly surprised. The sermons are great, the music is great, the congregation... you guessed it - great!

The children's ministry and youth ministry are fabulous. The outreach is wonderful! There are different worship services (2 traditional, 3 contemporary) and lots of ways to get involved.

Edited by TN Mama

I like our ward a lot. Not cliquish at all, a lot of WONDERFUL people who really care about everyone else. There's a little old lady who keeps bringing me cucumbers from her garden because the dds love them, the nursery teacher who offered them FREE spots in her regular preschool, no one hassles me about nursing in church, etc. :thumbup1:

I'm cautiously optomistic about the last church we visited. It seems to be a good fit for us. It's part of the Emergent, artsy group...with a solid children's ministry that includes them in quite a bit of the service.

We had a funny moment when dh went to check the kids in: He started to spell our last name (it's quite long) and when they couldn't find it they said, "Hmmmmmmm....I wonder why it's not there?" To which dh says, "Ummmm...probly because we've never been here before ;)."

This started a bunch of scrambling and apologizeing...finally ending in a "You just looked like you belong here!" We both grinned at each other, thinking "Yeah, that's how we feel too."

(this is a very artsy, coffee, bohemian/intellectual church...so they didn't really bat an eye at my very bright gauntlet's!)

www.ecclesiahouston.org

I recently participated in an Advent Conspiracy study at my church. I believe one of your pastors helped to start the AC movement?

DH and I have been members of our ward for 8 years now (both of us grew up in this denomination -LDS- but me in California and he in Canada, so we came to this ward with absolutely no connections to the community). Our first Sunday was so amazing. People introducing themselves, showing us around, letting us know who was incharge of the Primary (children's program), the Relief Society (women's program), and helped us feel like part of the old crowd right away. We've had all 3 of our children while living in this ward, and it is going to absolutely break my heart when we have to move (which we plan to do in the next year or two). There is such a strong community-feel to this ward. The missionary out-reach has been amazing, and we've always been invited to be involved. All of the assignments I've had in the ward have stretched me in some much needed way (and typically in a way that I didn't know I needed to be stretched :giggle: ) and I've never felt judged for being a little bit different from the rest (the only cloth-diapering, baby-wearing mama, and only one of two homeschooling mamas. I'm also much more liberal politically, and am the youngest mom of kids my age. Most everyone else waited until they were closer to 30 to have kids). The teachers are all amazing, love what they're doing, and really bring the gospel alive in their lessons. My kids have learned SO much in this Primary. It always amazes me the answers I get when I ask them "so what did you learn in Primary today?" They do a much better job at getting my kids to pay attention than I do, aparently. :tongue_smilie:

I really dread the day we have to move. :( (although I've yet to be in a bad ward, I've just come to love this one SO much)

We LOVE our church, too. Our whole family does. In fact our kids even say that when they grow up they want to stay in this area not just to be near us, but also so they can stay at our church. It's a rural, non-denominational Bible church, about 250 regular attenders. The things that we love the most are the solid Biblical teaching and the warm and caring group of people. We have so many good friends there, so many that we have been helped by when we've needed it, and whom we have been blessed to help as well. There is just the right number of useful activities without being a burden, and we love the mix of mostly hymns with some new praise songs as well. Best of all, even after having been around these people a lot for the past five years, I have STILL never heard a single word of complaint or gossip about anyone else, which is incredible in any group of people, ime. I am so thankful for our church!

Sounds very much like the UU church we attended last. Jesus wasn't even a requirement. We had Jewish, Buddhist, and atheist members. :001_smile:

yes. we attend a UMC church & have been there for almost 5 years. my husband is the worship pastor & we both are SOOOO happy with where we're at. it truly is "home" to us. i can't say we've always been able to say that in past positions he's had, so we feel incredibly blessed indeed. it is also very "come as you are" and our pastor is truly phenomenal. we have so many opportunities to give & grow and the grace and love extended to us is so authentic. it's lovely.

We love our church, my husband and I have both been going since we were teenagers (he was 16 or 17 I think, and I was 18). We met at church (kinda) and we got married at our church. We both became Christians while at our church. The teaching is excellent, even if we don't get to "go to church" as often as we'd like due to helping in the children's department. The people are real and love God and want to me closer to him.

We really do, too. We became eastern Orthodox last year after a journey through Baptist, Foursquare, Vineyard, Word of Faith, Christian and Missionary Alliance and independent/non-denominational churches. What I love: the personal sin struggles I've had for *years* are being addressed and healed; I'm learning not to be concerned about anyone else's faith/place/actions (that's a toughy!); it has a liturgical and festal cycle, and sacraments, that teach us about the life of the Church through Christ; the Eucharist is the body and blood of Christ in us -- no symbolism; it has roots!! (we'd never had that before, going mostly to churches where the denomination/movement began in the last 100 years or so); we're beginning to find our lives becoming centered in the life of the church; AND the potlucks rock (well, they do). Oh, and you can't beat the Pascha (Resurrection) celebration. :001_smile:

What a good question, Nakia.

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

I love both my church and my ward. I love the teachings, I love the scriptures, I love the leaders. I love that every time I've moved there's been a branch or ward there to take me in that teaches the same things and operates in the same way. The people everywhere have been a little different, but there's always a loving core of truly Christlike people. I love the way the church handles staffing, as I feel it really helps to minimize 'church politics' issues. I love that there are distinctive and honored places for both men and women, and I love that children are included and valued. I love that when a congregation gets big, it's split so as to keep the size manageable and close. I love the way the church welfare and humanitarian systems are set up. And actually, the longer I'm in it, the more things I find to love. Seriously.

I love my current ward especially, possibly because we've lived here long enough to truly know a large number of the other members and feel like they're really "family". I love how everyone is willing to overlook each other's shortcomings and pitch in and help when help is needed.

But I'm still in touch with people from past wards too. And it's interesting how often I bump into random people from other wards I've been in, or people who know them. When we first moved here it turned out that our new landlord was the nephew of a lady in the ward we were moving from all the way on the other side of the country. One of our stake high councilmen when we first moved here was my branch president when I was a kid in yet another state. And one of the ladies who works at the city library here is the daughter of someone my mom knew growing up in yet another state. And that's just here. I love that it really is all one big church and not just a conglomeration of loosly affiliated individual churches. I love the balance between unity and diversity.

Basically, yeah, I love my church. :)

i love our church, warts and all. It is a place in which people can be real about who they are and where they are and receive the love and grace of Jesus. Our congregation is multi-ethnic and multi-generational and I love the enrichment that the diversity brings--a taste of heaven. We have hung in there together through many ups and downs.

I do! We attend a so. Baptist church plant (though we are non- or inter-denominational in my family) that is about 5.5 years old and bursting at the seams. They are planting another church in January in a near-by city. Loads of new believers (21 baptisms last Sunday), worship is phenomenal, and the teaching is right out of the Bible by a very sincere pastor. Love it!

We love our church too. Going from a big mega non-denom church that was pretty weak in it's teaching and very "seeker" to a much more mature and diverse body has been really wonderful. Our pastor is an awesome teacher and we find that we are a necessary part of the body. We get fed and get to feed others. It's pretty great!

I love my church too. I've been going there for about 25 years. We live in a transient area - lots of military - so folks come and go, but there are a lot of people there still that I met the first Sunday I attended.

Our children have grown up together (Ds23 recently got married to one of my best friend's daughters - we had pictures at the wedding of the two of them together when they were 7 and 4 years old :)). I've had the same pastor all those years - he married dh and me in June of '86 and married my son and his wife this past June.

It is a small Baptist church with about 40-50 families - most homeschool and most have lots of children. Going to church every Sunday is the highlight of my week.

I Love my church for so many reasons. We are blessed to have a pastor who is a natural born teacher. He digs deep and teaches expecting that we want the same. Our music pastor keeps things modern and still appeases the older crowd. Families worship together, with a service for children led by the sweetest lady I have ever met. There is always fellowship throughout the week. They accept DH and I despite our appearances and know we are Lovers of Christ. Despite some nastiness everyone is pulling together and trying to salvage a torn relationship. Missions trips, community outreach. It is a church of action and learning. I really could go on and on...they have become my family!

This sounds similar to us! I'm almost at "love" with our S. Baptist church and we have *only* attended Non-denom. for the 16 years prior! Great teaching from the Bible, love the youth group, and there are plenty of ministries and Bible studies to join. :) I also like the focus on missions. We're getting there on evangelism... ;) The people are very conservative, don't like to go out of their comfort zone much and are, quite frankly, for the most part pretty privileged. So there are things to work on, but our church family is very humble and knows that, which makes them even better in my eyes!

I truly do not have the words to express how much I love my church. I had lost my faith in Christ many, many years ago, and never expected to get it back - did not even think that I wanted it back! But finding the Eastern Orthodox Church changed everything. The Church is a visible, tangible, and direct expression of God's love. It is nothing less than a miracle.

As we were waking to our car after the liturgy on Sunday, my daughter commented, certainly not for the first time, how much she loves our church and how everyone there feels like family, but most especially her godmother. She was marveling at how she feels that her godmother really is like another grandmother or a beloved aunt to her, even though she's only been her godmother for two months now, and they are not actually related. I told her that God can create families in more ways than just biological relation, and that is what He did for us when He received us into the Church: He blessed us with a whole new family.

Glory to God!

I truly do not have the words to express how much I love my church. I had lost my faith in Christ many, many years ago, and never expected to get it back - did not even think that I wanted it back! But finding the Eastern Orthodox Church changed everything. The Church is a visible, tangible, and direct expression of God's love. It is nothing less than a miracle.

As we were waking to our car after the liturgy on Sunday, my daughter commented, certainly not for the first time, how much she loves our church and how everyone there feels like family, but most especially her godmother. She was marveling at how she feels that her godmother really is like another grandmother or a beloved aunt to her, even though she's only been her godmother for two months now, and they are not actually related. I told her that God can create families in more ways than just biological relation, and that is what He did for us when He received us into the Church: He blessed us with a whole new family.

Glory to God!

Greta! Your post brought tears to my eyes. I cannot tell you how much joy it brings me to hear your words. I remember when you were searching and to hear you now, it just fills me with joy. I cannot tell you how happy I am for you to have found the place where you belong and your church family. I am so thankful to God. God bless you sister! :grouphug:

Greta! Your post brought tears to my eyes. I cannot tell you how much joy it brings me to hear your words. I remember when you were searching and to hear you now, it just fills me with joy. I cannot tell you how happy I am for you to have found the place where you belong and your church family. I am so thankful to God. God bless you sister! :grouphug:

Oh, now your kind response has *me* tearing up! :grouphug: Of course, that isn't difficult to accomplish because I confess to being a big crybaby. :D I remember your kindness to me when I was searching, and the kindness and guidance of several other ladies on this board. It's actually rather funny to think about what a big role these message boards played in all of this! Sometimes you find God in the most unexpected places. :001_smile: What you have said here means a great deal to me. Thank you.

With love in Christ,

Greta

Glory to God!

Glory to God, indeed!

I love my church, as someone else said, warts and all. It's not perfect, but the teaching is solid, our pastor is diligent to protect the flock from all the "Christian trends" that come down the pike, and the members are like family. There are things I wish were different, but they're not issues of Scripture or salvation, just issues of preference. I can't see myself anywhere else.

I love, love, love, my church. To be specific, I love the people in my church. They are like family to me. We just had our annual Christmas play and they did "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." It was such a blessing to watch the adults and children work so hard and do such a good job. For a small-ish/medium church they put on an excellent production.

The people are so special. When you are down, they are there to weep with you. When you are doing well, they are there to rejoice with you. I am so blessed to be part of this body of Christ. God bless each and every one of them.

I do. We've only been there a few months but it felt like home the moment we walked in. The sermon was about forgiveness and anger and resentment being a prison. I had been mad at God for 10 years; afraid of Him and hateful but something just melted away in me and I realized that God had brought me to a safe place of peace and comfort long ago (I have PTSD from a childhood trauma) but I had been too mad to notice His gifts.

My husband, who had only gone to appease me and who was formerly agnostic, asks me every Sunday to inquire about membership and took communion last month even after the pastor explained that it was only for those who believed in Christ and chose to identify as Christian. He's bugging me to give him my copy of The reason for God but I'm still looking at it.

I love that the church is open and nonjudgmental but that they still believe in truth. I love that the Pastors talk openly about their own struggles with faith.

I love how much my kids love going to Sunday school and how they talk about God and helping the poor and loving one's neighbor.

We're looking for a house and I saw a great one today but it was too far away from my new church community so I vetoed it.

Christine W

I attend an Eastern Orthodox parish and it is amazing. I love it. I pray that I will someday be able to say I am an Orthodox Christian. We shall see.

The church, the people, the priest...everything is wonderful. Of course, the Liturgy is the best part. I truly understood what worship meant after attending a Divine Liturgy.

I attend an Eastern Orthodox parish and it is amazing. I love it. I pray that I will someday be able to say I am an Orthodox Christian. We shall see.

The church, the people, the priest...everything is wonderful. Of course, the Liturgy is the best part. I truly understood what worship meant after attending a Divine Liturgy.

Mrs. Basil, I've been pondering this very thing recently. I used to think it must surely get boring after awhile to do the same basic service over and over and over again, but amazingly it's becoming more dear, not more boring. Kind of like a favorite book that a toddler wants read to him over and over. They welcome the familiarity/repetition; it's comforting to them. Our priest has begun doing midweek liturgies once a week at our parish -- at 6 a.m.! In the dark room with just a few candles flickering, I realized last week that the liturgy is becoming a part of who I am.

Greta, I enjoy reading your posts and am thankful for you.

I love our church. I've been a member of several wonderful churches over the years (as well as a couple not-so-wonderful churches!), but this church is home. The spirit of unity and LOVE is incredible. We aren't super contemporary--I guess I'd describe us as relaxed traditional, but I know that *anyone* who would walk through our doors would be welcome. I've seen it in action. In a church that theologically is very conservative, that's really not very common (at least not in my experience). We have a core of members who are truly seeking to grow deeper in their relationships with God and to serve. People care about each other and take care of each other. I have seen time and time again how God is using this church to change people's lives--bringing people to salvation through Christ, bringing healing and restoration, meeting physical needs . . . I am so blessed to be able to be a part of it. I lead music, and every now and then I look out over the congregation and I'm overwhelmed when I see face after face of people who God has touched through His people here. He has been so good to us.

We love our church! We attend a Fellowship Bible Church. They are non-denominational, contemporary and elder led. Our church is small, about 125, but there are many FBCs all over the country and some are very large. We just love our church family and could not imagine life without them!

Oh, now your kind response has *me* tearing up! :grouphug: Of course, that isn't difficult to accomplish because I confess to being a big crybaby. :D I remember your kindness to me when I was searching, and the kindness and guidance of several other ladies on this board. It's actually rather funny to think about what a big role these message boards played in all of this! Sometimes you find God in the most unexpected places. :001_smile: What you have said here means a great deal to me. Thank you.

With love in Christ,

Greta

:grouphug: I cannot even put what I want to say in words. I'm just so happy. And yes, God will be found in the strangest places. :) I always think of the story of the Samaritan woman and how Jesus went out of His way to meet her at the well. God is SO merciful. I am SO GLAD that you are my sister! :grouphug: :) Lots and lots and lots of love to you! :grouphug:

How happy for y'all; how sad a contrast for me! I absolutely cringe each week thinking of church. It's local, some people smile at me. I really like the pastor; he's very friendly. His sermons make my heart cry; they are so far from what I believe is Biblical. There are stories upon stories with some verses. Again, he is such a sweet sincere man, but perhaps it's the world's teachings of what sermons should be. Much like the difference between public education and a Christian Classical Education. It's sad, truly sad. We've tried every church around us, that fits with our Theological beliefs. I. have ....ALMOST... given up! Not on God, just on finding a church that I look forward to going to...

:(

What a great thread!

I love my church!

My husband and I searched for a church for a long time, throughout the first 7 years of our marriage. Nothing was quite the right fit, although they each had their own good qualities.

Finally, not to burden you with the whole long story (because I can be a bit long-winded about it! haha), we joined the LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints aka Mormon) two years ago. Neither of us had friends or family in that church, and not to get into the whole story but it really was an answer to my prayers. Literally. Its not the answer I expected, being raised in a church that was anti-LDS. However, I went into it with and open heart.

Now I can't describe enough how much its changed our family,and my husband, positively. I don't feel so scared and lost when it comes to raising my five boys! We have the gospel in our lives to help us now. :)

Also, I just feel it when I walk in the building or go to events or activities at church or with church friends...the love is all around us and they truly feel like family. :)

How happy for y'all; how sad a contrast for me! I absolutely cringe each week thinking of church. It's local, some people smile at me. I really like the pastor; he's very friendly. His sermons make my heart cry; they are so far from what I believe is Biblical. There are stories upon stories with some verses. Again, he is such a sweet sincere man, but perhaps it's the world's teachings of what sermons should be. Much like the difference between public education and a Christian Classical Education. It's sad, truly sad. We've tried every church around us, that fits with our Theological beliefs. I. have ....ALMOST... given up! Not on God, just on finding a church that I look forward to going to...

:(

We love our church. We're traditional Lutheran. Our congregation is very small - maybe 150 people actually belong to the church altogether. My kids are able to sit through the service and the church has a Cry Room (those rooms with the glass windows where you can still participate in the service) in case "someone" needs to be removed. :glare:

On a sadder note, I usually attend service without my husband (but with the 4 kids). :thumbdown: My husband works 7 days a week. Great church, tho!