Menu

Any "walk away and leave it" ways to cook rice?

Tap

I didn't used to be a gadget person. I didn't understand why you'd want a special device to cook something as simple as rice.

Then I got a rice cooker. Rice and water in the bottom, or maybe rice and stock, or maybe a pre-packaged rice mix. In the steamer, a layer of spinach leaves, a few filets of fish, perhaps some diced tomatoes and zukes or broccolli on top or around the sides. Hit cook, walk away. A complete, healthy, delicious dinner. Can't. beat. it.

I didn't used to be a gadget person. I didn't understand why you'd want a special device to cook something as simple as rice.

Then I got a rice cooker. Rice and water in the bottom, or maybe rice and stock, or maybe a pre-packaged rice mix. In the steamer, a layer of spinach leaves, a few filets of fish, perhaps some diced tomatoes and zukes or broccolli on top or around the sides. Hit cook, walk away. A complete, healthy, delicious dinner. Can't. beat. it.

:iagree:

To me, a rice cooker is not a "gadget." It's an important piece of kitchen equipment. Put the rice and water in, turn on the cooker, walk away. When it's done, it stays hot until I need it. And it can go anywhere there's an electrical outlet, freeing up a burner on the stove/cooktop or counterspace or whatever.

I just usually cook rice, though, not a complete, healthy, delicious dinner. :D

We use Alton Brown's recipe for brown rice in the oven. It works perfectly every time.

Sheri

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain

2 1/2 cups water

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

I make jasmine rice by washing and draining the rice, then dumping it in the pot and filling it with water to cover the rice by an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered, stirring every so often so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. When it just comes to a boil, stir again, lower the heat to very low, and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit without lifting the lid for about 15 minutes.

It's not completely start-it-and-leave-it, but it works for me. Everyone in my family knows to turn the heat off the rice when the timer goes off after 15 minutes, so I usually don't need to come back to it for 30 minutes. It's also nice because I don't have to measure anything.

Bring two cups of water to a boil, stir in one cup of rice and reduce heat to low. Cover. Walk away. Come back 20 minutes later and use now cooked rice.

See, it's the "walk away, come back 20 minutes later" that is the problem (not to mention waiting for the water to boil in the first place).

With a rice cooker, it's "put ingredients in; turn on cooker; walk away." The end. :-)

I also have to reiterate how wonderful a rice cooker is. I have a Zojirushi rice cooker and have used it multiple times per week (average 3 times per week) over the past 9 years and it has held up very well. I initially got it because I needed to free up a burner on the stove while still being able to cook rice!

Baked rice. (I use Basmati.) 2 cups hot water, 1 cup rice, 1 tablespoon butter, a little salt. Cover and put in the oven for 30 to 60 minutes. Perfect every time!

Take care,

Suzanne

:iagree:

Here is a baked brown rice recipe which is great:D

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe/index.html

Bring two cups of water to a boil, stir in one cup of rice and reduce heat to low. Cover. Walk away. Come back 20 minutes later and use now cooked rice.

:iagree: and for brown rice, bring to a boil, turn all the way down, walk away, turn off in half an hoiur. Keep lid tightly closed and it will continue to steam in there.

I never quite understood why a rice cooker was necessary. I never stir or fuss over my rice. Many times I will boil for 10 minutes then turn off and let the rice steam. It works perfectly every time, and I use brown rice 99.9% of the time.

I don't make rice very often due to the fact that I can't just walk away from it and come back...whenever.

I don't want a rice cooker, I am not a gadget person.

Is there anyway to accomplish this without one?

Presoak white basmati with the amount of water you would use. When all soaked in, put on the stove on low in a heavy pot, cover with a heavy cover, and come back in half an hour. I do it a lot.

I do hear you saying you don't want a rice cooker, but I'm another that thinks it might be exactly what you want. If you've used one and didn't like it at all, that's one thing, but if you've never used one, please give one a try. I see them all the time at thrift stores. Our rice cooker is much used in our home, and is definitely not a gadget. I tried to go without one after our last one (that I had for many years) died; I tried stove top rice. After burning it once, and having to clean that pan out, I picked one up the next time I was at a thrift store.

The thing with a rice cooker is, you walk away, and it doesn't matter when you come back. You don't have to be there at a certain time to turn off the burner or remove it from the heat like you do with stove top and baked rice. It just finishes cooking and then waits for you. It can't burn. It can't steam too long. And it makes perfect rice.

Edited by milovaný

I am so not a gadget person, but the rice cooker has been the best kitchen thing that EVER happened to me. I have warm rice in there right now, waiting for my casserole to finish baking. We went from having rice about 6 times a year, since I always burned it, to eating rice several times a month. Go for it!

LOLLLLLOLOLO who would have known that a rice cooker was such a must have item. LOL

I didn't want one due to storage space and the fact that we are going to move very, very soon and will be renting until we decide on a new home. I have no idea how much room we will have in our temporary location, so I hate to buy a large, single purpose appliance. I get that you can cook veggies too....but I just steam those as I prepare the plates for everyone. It is the 30 minutes for the rice that is hard on me. I don't want to have to listen for a timer

After I posted here, read a few replies, I went to Costco to pick up a few groceries (closest store to my house). And there was a rice cooker right on the end display. It beckoned, It called to me, It promised to revolutionize my kitchen.

It was in my cart, but then I started rationalizing again....THEN I SAW IT.....an electric pressure cooker. I opened the box right in the aisle. I read that it cooked rice :) and I walked the rice cooker right back down to the display.

My rice is now perfectly done.....in the pressure cooker, which has far more value to me than a basic rice cooker. Ooooooh the things I tell my self to justify a new purchase when I am supposed to be on a budget. LOLOLOL

:D

I will try the baked rice soon and decide which I like better....the pressure cooked rice or the baked rice. I am sure one of them will be just perfect.

I do hear you saying you don't want a rice cooker, but I'm another that thinks it might be exactly what you want. If you've used one and didn't like it at all, that's one thing, but if you've never used one, please give one a try. I see them all the time at thrift stores. Our rice cooker is much used in our home, and is definitely not a gadget. I tried to go without one after our last one (that I had for many years) died; I tried stove top rice. After burning it once, and having to clean that pan out, I picked one up the next time I was at a thrift store.

The thing with a rice cooker is, you walk away, and it doesn't matter when you come back. You don't have to be there at a certain time to turn off the burner or remove it from the heat like you do with stove top and baked rice. It just finishes cooking and then waits for you. It can't burn. It can't steam too long. And it makes perfect rice.

stop it. You're making me think I may need one. And I always run out of burners.

How long will it stay warm?

LOLLLLLOLOLO who would have known that a rice cooker was such a must have item. LOL

I didn't want one due to storage space and the fact that we are going to move very, very soon and will be renting until we decide on a new home. I have no idea how much room we will have in our temporary location, so I hate to buy a large, single purpose appliance. I get that you can cook veggies too....but I just steam those as I prepare the plates for everyone. It is the 30 minutes for the rice that is hard on me. I don't want to have to listen for a timer

After I posted here, read a few replies, I went to Costco to pick up a few groceries (closest store to my house). And there was a rice cooker right on the end display. It beckoned, It called to me, It promised to revolutionize my kitchen.

It was in my cart, but then I started rationalizing again....THEN I SAW IT.....an electric pressure cooker. I opened the box right in the aisle. I read that it cooked rice :) and I walked the rice cooker right back down to the display.

My rice is now perfectly done.....in the pressure cooker, which has far more value to me than a basic rice cooker. Ooooooh the things I tell my self to justify a new purchase when I am supposed to be on a budget. LOLOLOL

:D

I will try the baked rice soon and decide which I like better....the pressure cooked rice or the baked rice. I am sure one of them will be just perfect.

why do people use pressure cookers? What are they good for? (am I stupid for not knowing this?) (don't answer that.):D

stop it. You're making me think I may need one. And I always run out of burners.

How long will it stay warm?

Don't know - as long as you leave it plugged in, basically. The rice can develop a nice browning on the bottom - this is tasty and can be enhanced by adding a bit of butter to the pan when you put the rice in. I've never had it burn. I wouldn't leave it on for hours at a time, or when I wasn't home.

Rice cookers work by sensing the temp of the pan. When the pan is being heated, as long as the water is boiling, the temp will remain at the boiling point. Once the water all is soaked up or evaporates, the temp of the pan will go up, triggering the rice cooker to flip to "keep warm" mode. (So the cooker doesn't actually know anything about the doneness of the rice, it just assumes it's done when the water evaporates. So you do have to know how much water to use for the kind of rice you're using. I ignore the marks on the pan and measure as usual.)

why do people use pressure cookers? What are they good for? (am I stupid for not knowing this?) (don't answer that.):D

Lol, hopefully Tap will skip this reply -- but a pressure cooker is one appliance I won't buy. Many people love them, but I'm wary of the high temperatures they create and the effect this would have on the nutritional quality of the food. I like to cook food as little and at as low a temperature as I can.

I do have a rice cooker but often make 2 types of rice at one meal (I like brown, they like white) so often cook in a pot as well.

I use teh absoption method- one cup of white rice to 2 cups of wat/ 1 cup of brown rice to 2.5 cups of water. I bring to the boil- and let it boil for a few minutes- as long as I can while I am in the kitchen. I have the lid on, and I keep the lid on and just turn the heat off. It will cook the rice even with the heat off, as long as there is a lid fairly well sealed. My new cast iron pots are excellent for this as the lids are heavy and the heat stays in there very effectively.

I know poeple who use the other method for boiling rice, though- they use abundant water and drain the rice when its cooked. I imagine it would mean it would be less likely to burn (for most people- not necessarily me, as I can burn pretty much anything).

Lol, hopefully Tap will skip this reply -- but a pressure cooker is one appliance I won't buy. Many people love them, but I'm wary of the high temperatures they create and the effect this would have on the nutritional quality of the food. I like to cook food as little and at as low a temperature as I can.

Hmmmm, maybe I will have to research more but I was under the impression that they were healthier for several reasons.

1. They don't use intense heat (just over boiling) just pressure. So the food is cooked for less time, reducing deterioration.

2. They retain all the moisture during cooking time, retaining any vitamins/minerals that could be lost during evaporation.

3. There are some vitamins that are easier for our bodies to use if the have been heated. True of all methods of heating, just tossing this in as an alternative to a raw diet.

4. Anything that will speed up dinner, makes it more likely that I will cook at home and not resort to eating out. :D

I will do more reseach, but as far as I know there isn't anything negative about them that isn't true of all cooking methods.

I agree with minimally cooked foods, but many things just need to be cooked through and through. Grains, dried beans and meats (within reason) are just some exaples that can be unpalatable raw (not incl sprouted).

:iagree:Yup, think you need a rice cooker. I never made rice until we got ours. SOOOOOOO easy and no watching or burning.