Menu

when girls start to shave their legs......

If she has a twin or triple blade razor, it'll be more difficult for her to cut herself. Have her use a (brand new!) disposable razor--a good brand. When she knows what she likes, get something a little more permanent.

I cut myself plenty when I was learning. I can't recall how old I was, but I do know I was on my own. My mom never shaved her own legs (She doesn't even seem to have leg hair.:001_huh:) so was in no position to teach me.

I plan to show dd on my own leg, and let her have at it when the time comes (on her own legs of course). I'm certain bandaids will be involved. She can be a little "enthusiastic" sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

The razors with the big bar of shaving cream right on them are more expensive, but are just easier to use without cutting yourself. You might try them. I suggest the Honey one :) Yum! It smells really good.

what brand are they???

Diane - thanks...... but I can be a wimp with my kids. This is something I struggle with. :mellow: I *can* tell you, though, that I really don't want to have to shave her legs for her!! I hate to do my own!

If she has a twin or triple blade razor, it'll be more difficult for her to cut herself. Have her use a (brand new!) disposable razor--a good brand. When she knows what she likes, get something a little more permanent.

I cut myself plenty when I was learning. I can't recall how old I was, but I do know I was on my own. My mom never shaved her own legs (She doesn't even seem to have leg hair.:001_huh:) so was in no position to teach me.

I plan to show dd on my own leg and let her have at it when the time comes. I'm certain bandaids will be involved. She can be a little "enthusiastic" sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

now that i think of it, you're right! It's harder to cut yourself with those triple blades. I will have to buy a few different kinds to experiment with.

I agree with buying the Intuition razor. It's difficult to cut yourself, but expensive. :glare:

At the same time, if you're old enough to shave your legs, you're probably old enough to risk a cut. I've never heard of anyone cutting off their leg or anything. :tongue_smilie: When my dd started, I don't think I did anything other than giving her the razor and letting her know she should ask for help if she needed it. Come to think of it, that's how my mom taught me to shave my legs too! :D

((shudder)) flash back memory to when my sister took offer a 7 inch section of skin from her ankle to mid-calf when shaving with a brand new razor. It didn't even start to sting quick enough for her to realize she was pushing too hard for such a sharp razor. The blood, the screams, oh my.

I was the little sis watching, hopeful, my day was around the corner--grateful that I wasn't her and that I would NEVER make that mistake.

She still has that scar.

Epilady brings back another whole barrage of better forgotten memories. . ..

I recommend Nair.

The first time I shaved my legs, right before Easter in the 4th grade, my mom sat me down on the edge of the tub with shorts on and showed me how to do it. We both shaved our legs, her first showing me how.

Then she bought me an electric razor. That was great. I wish I had an electric now. I cut easily and bleed forever. Not to mention, with an electric you can dry shave and run out the door. I seem to always be in a hurry!

So I'm the only one that still cuts myself sometimes? My mom just handed me a cheap disposable and said go against the grain or something like that. I second the electric. I love using dh's.

No, I cut myself everytime I use a regular razor. :glare: I've given up. I use the electric razor or wax/sugar. Don't know what Dee-Dee will want to do, hopefully it won't involve anything sharp:svengo:

Venus or Intuition. Both are easy to use and make cuts less of an issue. Make sure she knows to be careful around the ankles and knees. Other than that, it is hard to cut yourself with these two brands. If she is like my girls, she may kill a couple of brand new razor heads on the first shave. It involved a lot of hair!:D

I use the Venus razors because my legs are too sensitive to use cream, conditioner, or lotion of any sort, even for sensitive skin.

I've used them for about 2 years now and only cut myself once, and that was in the ankle area where the skin folds.

When I first began though, I tried to get the hair out of the razor with my fingers. Sliced my fingers open. Not one of my proud moments, :lol:

I just sat on the side of the tub and showed her how. The second time I was close by if she had any questions. She had A LOT of hair that first time- it was better for her to start with stubble.

I also have a sizable scar on my ankle (shudder...)

My dd has special needs so we had to take extra precautions! We got her an electric razor. It works really well and it is impossible to cut yourself with it. She uses it on dry legs followed by lotion. Super easy and I don't have to worry about a blood bath:)

I love having red-haired girls :D Dd15 was 13 or so when she started shaving. I hope she is still living in the house when dd10 (uber pale leg hair) needs to start, 'cause I'm just too old for this :lol:

Thanks to Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid, I had a plethora of free good razors once dd15 was ready. She preferred the Intuition at the beginning but now she likes whatever triple blade non-disposable Gilette makes for women. She didn't like how the Intuition got "gloopy" in the shower, as she shares a shower with her siblings.

I first starting shaving in 5th grade because I have jet black hair and that just wasn't fun as a 5th grader when I wore skirts . . . I started out w/ an electric shaver and that saved me a lot of nicks, but once I did get a real shaver in 6th grade, I took a huge chunk of skin off on my shin.

If the electric shaver is good then she'll be perfect and if not Nair is a lot better than it used to be :)

I used to cut myself all the time shaving because I used one of those old fashioned types of razors where the only thing disposable about them was the blade. And the cuts usually extended up my ankle for an inch or so.

The damage she could do with a modern disposable razor is minimal. I wouldn't worry about it, though I would have her do the initial shaving with an electric razor if she has a lot of hair.

• 4 weeks later...
Nope, she did it all on her own. Cutting yourself is a learning experience and you usually only make that mistake once. :D

That's the way I learned, and the way dd will too. Only I made the same mistake for years. Not sure if they eventually started making razors blunder or I just got smarter.