Menu

DDs want the same American Girl doll - WWYD

WWYD? My DDs, 9 and 6-3/4 have just discovered American Girl dolls. A 12yo friend of theirs has several and both of my DDs - who adore their older friend - now want AGs for Christmas.

I was going through the AG site several weeks ago with DD#1, and she was pretty set on Molly. Molly even looks like DD#1 a bit & I thought that it was a great choice. Then DD#2 came into the room and fell in love with Julie. I thought that I had it made - until DD#1 changed her mind and decided that she wanted Julie as well. :001_huh: FWIW I think DD#1 truly liked Julie once she thought about it.

Neither one has budged for weeks (I have asked twice in about three weeks time). So, WWYD? I can't see buying two Julies (but would if a good case could be made to do so). My 1st thought is that that's a lot of money for two of the same thing. Should I buy two completely different dolls - ones neither DD has indicated a strong desire to own? Like Felicity & Elizabeth or Kit & Ruthie?

Any thoughts would be so appreciated! Am headed to bed now, but will check back in the AM!

Could you get the dolls that look like your dds? The Like Me dolls or whatever they are called, from AG?

Or just go ahead and get the same Julie doll--that's perfectly ok. It's like getting two of the same Barbie.

Maybe you could get the same Julie doll for both and then accessorize differently?

I can understand your hesitation about purchasing the same doll twice! These dolls aren't exactly cheap!

I think imho that if you were planning on purchasing two separate dolls anyway, then go ahead and purchase one for each girl (especially if they have separate bedrooms). Many girls choose to keep these for quite awhile after they have outgrown them. Once the girls are older, they will appreciate having the doll they really treasured so much. However, I would not purchase duplicate clothing outfits or extra accessories.

Hope you can find a workable solution.

I have no solution, but just wanted to say I understand. Having twins, I totally get it. I hate buying two of the same thing. :glare:

I try to at least get different colors, or something... :)

I can't imagine spending that much money on two of the same dolls. You may have to try to see it from their point of view, though. They both want a doll to call their own, and they both just happen to want the same doll. What can you do? :tongue_smilie:

My twins always like the same kind of dolls. We have plenty of toys that are identical. If it is cheap then we buy one in pink another in blue.

If not, I tell them they have to share. Behind their back I would have bought another & when a fight breaks in I pull out the one I have hidden & now they have to share both the dolls. But I always keep the receipts just in case.

From a parent's point it is insane to buy two of the same kind. From the kid's point, I want to have my own, so what if my sister has one too!

I would buy them two of the same dolls, but not American Girl Dolls after dd and I discovered a professional doll maker who is clearancing a line of limited collector dolls. The set includes the doll with 6 changes of clothes and 3 or 4 wigs for $100. A second doll can be purchased for $30. My dd will never need another doll for playing, since this one has so many options. If she had a little sister, they'd both have one.

Here is a post I wrote about it some time ago.

Edited by Susan in KY

How about a Molly and Emily? Or a Felicity and Elizabeth? I would try suggesting this to your dds. Then they can act out the stories and have dolls that are from the same time period, but with different accessories.

Here at our house, I have one dd and 9 AG dolls. Complete with their entire AG worlds. Yes, she is the only granddaughter on both sides of the family and my husband came from a family of all boys. My MIL waited a looooong time to buy dolls and she went a bit nuts. Not that we're complaining. Oh, and we have two Felicitys. Note that even if you get two of the same doll....they will not look exactly alike. Our Felicitys have slightly different skin tones and my dds Kit and her friend's Kit were very distinguishable from each other.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I would get them each the doll they like best. If that is the same doll, then that's fine. You would be buying two dolls anyway. I can't see making one dd settle for a doll she doesn't really want when the other dd gets the one she does want.

If they have the same doll they can share doll clothes. I know all the clothes fit all the dolls, but they will be able to have more clothes from Julie's set since they can share.

I guess I'm a little confused. If you were willing to buy two of the AG dolls, what difference does it make to you if they're the same? Granted, I don't have girls but I do have two boys who are 25 months apart. They are 7 and 9 now but when they were younger, we had two of many toys just to prevent any arguments. They also had many toys they shared. Now it's easier because they have completely different interests and rarely want the same things anyway.

If they both have strong feelings about the doll then I would get them what they wanted. I may try to convince to make a different choice but ultimately I'd let them make the choice. Later if they decide, hey, we would have gotten more play value if we had chosen different dolls, I'd just use it as a "life lesson" - maybe your parents actually know what they're talking about when they give you advice.

If you get different dolls and they both really want Julie then it could cause some problems. I also am considering that I still have many of my childhood dolls. I have fond memories of playing with them and am glad I still have them. Granted, I had no sisters so I never had to share my dolls. :tongue_smilie:

If I was spending that kind of money, I would get my girls the doll they really want even if it is the same doll. I could not imagine spending that money and still have them disappointed because they got a different doll. I would get two Julies.

:iagree:

In our house AG dolls are a one-time thing. It's not like have duplicates of a toy that is community property. It wouldn't make sense to add another "Minty" to our My Little Pony collection, because we already have one that is used by whomever is being Minty that day.

AG's are different though, at least in our house. They are not shared in the same way that our other dolls are, and so, I would get each girl the doll she wants even if they are duplicates. I would use a sharpie to put the girl's initial on her doll's foot and I woud get them different outfits.

I would not write initials on the dolls in sharpie. If you do ever decide to resell (it happens) that will cause values to be less. My guess is that at their ages, the girls will be able to tell their dolls apart.

I would buy the same doll for each. Then buy or make different outfits for the dolls based on the personalities of your dds. It is a doll after all. Nothing earth shattering will happen if they have the same doll.

The dolls that are made to look like your child is called the My Twinn Doll. Expensive as well. You may not want them to look LOL.

I would also get them two of the same if that's what they really want.

Just a hint though, The Girl of the Year (I believe this year's was Lanie) will be gone forever after the year is over and a new one will be introduced. Also I believe they are retiring Felicity and her friend this year, so after they are gone you will only be able to buy used ones.

If you really don't want them to get the same doll have them check out the "My American Girl" dolls, they can then choose the one that looks most like them. These dolls aren't named and don't come with a premade story line, but my dd sold her Nikki Doll of the year and bought a new My American Girl doll which she loves and plays with more than she ever liked Nikki.

We also prefer the dolls with straight hair because the ones with curly hair can get a bit frizzy if brushed to much or with the wrong type of brush.

If the girls are not budging because they both genuinely like the same doll, I'd just get them the same doll. Each girl should be able to choose the doll she loves most, without consideration of the other's choice.

:)

Cat

I don't understand what difference it makes if you buy the same AG doll, or 2 different ones. The $$ is the same, so if you're going to spend it, get them the ones they like, even if it's the same doll!

I am assuming there is no sort of power struggle in play, a pattern of one dd always wanting the same as the other, the 1st being upset at the other "copying", etc.

As long as this is not the case, they both truly love the same doll, and it would not bother either one if the other has the same doll, then just get the one they want!

Buying it for one and not the other isn't fair (and the other will be disappointed and jealous). Buying 2 totally different dolls (just so neither of them has the one they both want :001_huh:) would be upsetting, disappointing and unfair to both.

IMO, get them the doll they want, even if it is the same one, or no AG for either of them this year. A gift should be a joy and a blessing, not a point of contention. I see these as your only two options to avoid that end.

HTH,

I just endured this dilemma - but on the cheap! It was over 2 identical toothbrushes and the standoff was intense...like these kids are ready to hold on forever to their position.

I gave up and used the sharpie to make a tiny tiny tiny dot.

One person metioned resale- maybe you could hide the tiny tiny tiny dot in the doll's hair somewhere so it's not visible?

Good Luck!

Ladies, ty all so, so much for your thoughts! I was really surprised to wake up and read all of the replies this morning! Just to clarify, I would never, ever buy one DD the Julie AG doll and the other DD another doll :tongue_smilie:

The reason that I was hoping that my DDs would each pick a different AG doll is so that they would have two different dolls to play with. My DDs are so close - they share everything and get along incredibly well. When we lived in VA they chose to share a room even though we had 5 bedrooms, LOL! Here in Germany, my oldest thought that she wanted her own bedroom, and ended up sleeping with DD#2 in a twin bed for almost a year before she decided to "move back in" ;) with DD#2! Since they share everything, I figured two of the same wouldn't be as fun...

But - I have taken everything you all said under advisement & think that you all are absolutely right. They will get the ones that they want, even if they are the same. They have several of the same Webkinz (at least 5 koalas between the two of them) and they can tell all of them apart!!!

I'll ask them one more time. DD#1 said this morning that she wants to take one more look at Lanie (figures)!!! Thanks again!

Edited by Laurie in Germany
hit "send" b/f finishing

If they both want them, get them. If you'd rather not, try reading them the first book of each doll they may be interested in. Your girls may identify more with another doll after that.

I know you already decided, but I think this is a really good idea. The dolls become real once you read the stories, and they are bound to identify more with certain ones.

I know you already decided, but I think this is a really good idea. The dolls become real once you read the stories, and they are bound to identify more with certain ones.

I'd love to do that, but living in Germany I have no time to order the books to read to them, and still get a doll here by Christmas. Great idea, however!

If the girls are not budging because they both genuinely like the same doll, I'd just get them the same doll. Each girl should be able to choose the doll she loves most, without consideration of the other's choice.

:iagree: I would have cried if I was told I had to share a doll with my sister when the original offer was to have my very own doll.

Completely agree. My sister and I both had Mandys -- with the same original clothes for it. After that, back then Mandy doll clothes came with a pattern for something else. So mom split up the bought clothes and we each got half. And she made a copy for each of us with the sewn clothes (often with the same material! Occasionally, same pattern and different material).

We LOVED it.

(My sister and I are 21 months apart)

:)

Cat

If you were already planning to pay for two American Girl dolls, it doesn't seem logical to me to say that one or both of the girls should not get her preferred doll just because of her sister's choice.