Menu

Rant/hurt/ want christians to learn love instead of judgement

Because your choices are judgment and behavoir.

His choices are cosmetic expression of style and do not offer any accurate connection to the person he is or how he behaves, thinking or operates.

Punching a hole in one's tongue is not behavior? One does not make the judgement that such behavior is acceptable?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....and that is my point. People are being mocked simply because their beliefs do not conform to the choices made by a 17 year old boy.

I care not what music he likes, or how many holes he punches in his anatomy but I do care how close that comes to my children. He can make his choices and while I may disagree I do not hate him and will not mock him (as a poster mentioned his body modification is fairly benign and reversible), as an adult I would associate with him and take him for what he is......but I do not want my children associating with him.

Why are his choices acceptable but mine not so?

I guess I don't see the Biblical basis for raising children to avoid and judge people who have a different style of dress than themselves. And that is what is happening here. YOU may not be doing that, but homeschool groups all over the country are. They feel completely Biblical justified in shunning a teen because of their clothing.

What I'm sick of, is the fact that very few of these groups really care about the heart of these children. Mocking, judging, shunning are all okay behaviors to teach our children but they better not deviate from the ranks in their dress code.

I guess I don't see the Biblical basis for raising children to avoid and judge people who have a different style of dress than themselves. And that is what is happening here. YOU may not be doing that, but homeschool groups all over the country are. They feel completely Biblical justified in shunning a teen because of their clothing.

What I'm sick of, is the fact that very few of these groups really care about the heart of these children. Mocking, judging, shunning are all okay behaviors to teach our children but they better not deviate from the ranks in their dress code.

Let me be clear, I am not using any Biblical justification here. (I try not to debate religion, but do not always succeed)

[sarcasm]

I'm going to start a little black book. Anyone who crosses my path with a nose ring, tongue ring, bangs, skinny jeans, tank top, long hair (boy), short hair (girl), tattoos, open-toed shoes, NUDE (gasp) stockings,.... is getting put on the shun list.

OH BROTHER.

[/sarcasm]

So you'd shun me for my sandal-toe nude stockings worn with my Birks? Wouldn't wearing white granny undies and a white granny bra cancel that out? :tongue_smilie:

Because your choices are judgment and behavoir.

His choices are cosmetic expression of style and do not offer any accurate connection to the person he is or how he behaves, thinking or operates.

:iagree:

The children understand well, perhaps that is why they would also choose not to associate with individuals who make such choices, or is that also unacceptable behavior? (I doubt that my influence would be required)

That's not what the OP said.

He loves people but honestly he can't keep "home school" friends because their parent don't approve of him. These aren't little kids but junior and senior kids that can't befriend a fellow 17 yo who is allowed to choose his own music, own hair, and oh gasp he got his tongue pierced. They consider him "evil" a bad influence or whatever.

These threads always make me remember my dad. When I was about 16 he came in from work. My older brother had some friends who had stopped by but they didn't tell us there was someone waiting in the truck outside. My dad comes in and asks who's outside and is told, "Oh, that's "J" but he didn't know if you would let him in since he's black." :001_huh: (This is small town Texas and obviously "J" had met some very mean people.) My dad gets red-faced and goes outside. He comes back in about 15 minutes later with "J" and tells us all that anyone regardless of what color they are, how they dress, what their hair looks like or how many earrings they had in their ears - all are welcome in our house. He ranted for a while and then left. More of my brothers friends started showing up over the next few weeks because they knew my dad wasn't going to hassle them about their earrings.:tongue_smilie: My dad let us know that it just didn't matter what a person looked like - that we should pay more attention to who they are inside. I wish more people paid attention to the inside.

These threads always make me remember my dad. When I was about 16 he came in from work. My older brother had some friends who had stopped by but they didn't tell us there was someone waiting in the truck outside. My dad comes in and asks who's outside and is told, "Oh, that's "J" but he didn't know if you would let him in since he's black." :001_huh: (This is small town Texas and obviously "J" had met some very mean people.) My dad gets red-faced and goes outside. He comes back in about 15 minutes later with "J" and tells us all that anyone regardless of what color they are, how they dress, what their hair looks like or how many earrings they had in their ears - all are welcome in our house. He ranted for a while and then left. More of my brothers friends started showing up over the next few weeks because they knew my dad wasn't going to hassle them about their earrings.:tongue_smilie: My dad let us know that it just didn't matter what a person looked like - that we should pay more attention to who they are inside. I wish more people paid attention to the inside.

Great story--thanks for sharing it.:grouphug: We need more men like your dad.

:hurray:

my son was asked to be the role model for the youth at our church. THEN he went into public school and was bullied because of how he dressed and his SHORT hair. The pastor and his wife publicly shunned my son. It caused him so much pain that this once ON FIRE young Christian man has turned his back on God and his faith. He also has an EXTREMELY bad opinion of ALL Christians.

That same pastor's wife wore jeans SO TIGHT to church, pretty much every week, that they looked like nylons. She openly criticized ds's baggy jeans.:001_huh:

MAN do I hate it when I don't explain myself clearly.

My ds was asked to be the youth role model, THEN went into PS and was picked on for short hair and Izods, THEN grew out his hair and changed his dress, and was shunned by the pastor and mostly everyone else in the church because his appearance changed. They never appreciated that his HEART didn't.

Mrs Mungo"- That's not what the OP said.

He loves people but honestly he can't keep "home school" friends because their parent don't approve of him. These aren't little kids but junior and senior kids that can't befriend a fellow 17 yo who is allowed to choose his own music, own hair, and oh gasp he got his tongue pierced. They consider him "evil" a bad influence or whatever."

And it is a parent's right to make that choice ust as it was the OP's right to let her son dress in such a manner.

Let me be clear, I am not using any Biblical justification here. (I try not to debate religion, but do not always succeed)

So, then on what basis would you not want your kids to befriend this type of boy? I'm trying to understand...really. If it's not religiously based, what is it? Why do you see it as a negative?

Genuine and respectful asking here...:001_smile:

Edited by simka2

question for you... what would you do if a close friend (of yours or of your children) - someone you were already on great terms with, trusted, enjoyed spending time with, etc etc etc (you get where i'm taking that) went out and got a body mod/etc that you disagreed with?

would you maintain the friendship?

Now THERE'S a dilemma!

:lurk5::lurk5:

astrid

So, them on what basis would you not want your kids to befriend this type of boy? I'm trying to understand...really. If it's not religiously based, what is it? Why do you see it as a negative?

He stated it earlier. It is the fear that his children wouldn't be able to resist the lure of the tongue ring.

I love that story about your Dad! My daughter is in a youth group at church (a UU church) for LGBTQ kids. One of the boys came across as rather abrasive and inappropriate the first time I met him. He pushed the boundries to see what he could get away with and I watched how the facilitators responded to him. I felt uncomfortable with him that first night and remember thinking, "NOT my favourite at all!"

He is now my favourite kid there! My first impression of him was skewed. I now see a kid in pain who has a heart of gold and the sweetest punim you could imagine!

Sometimes you just gotta' dig a little deeper. :grouphug:

Punching a hole in one's tongue is not behavior? One does not make the judgement that such behavior is acceptable?

Personally, I would strongly discourage a tongue-piercing. I would have my dd talk to some of my friends who have long left such things by the wayside about their damaged teeth as a result of wearing a tongue piercing as young people. However, if she wanted extra holes in her ears or a small nose piercing, I would let her do that, it doesn't cause lasting damage.

BUT, it's one of those things where you have to let people make their own mistakes. It's not drinking, it's not experimenting with drugs, it's not sleeping around, it's not treating people with cruelty.

[sarcasm]

I'm going to start a little black book. Anyone who crosses my path with a nose ring, tongue ring, bangs, skinny jeans, tank top, long hair (boy), short hair (girl), tattoos, open-toed shoes, NUDE (gasp) stockings,.... is getting put on the shun list.

OH BROTHER.

[/sarcasm]

I own a leopard bra, probably add me that in there. I wear it under my tank top. :D

Don't forget bikinis. No real Christian woman would ever wear a bikini. :glare:

I just spit on my computer. :lol::lol:

I made a conscious choice in high school to dress differently. It was the 80s and there weren't that many punky dressers in the midwest. I DID get treated differently. I did lose some friends, but the ones I kept are the ones I still have today, 25 year AFTER high school. My dress was a reflection of who I was at the time. In the long run it weeded out all the snap-to-judgment people who weren't real friends anyway.

And it is a parent's right to make that choice ust as it was the OP's right to let her son dress in such a manner.

Sure, parents have a RIGHT to make judgments about people based on whatever criteria they choose. Whether they drive a sports car, live on the right side of the tracks, the color of their skin, that doesn't make such judgments correct.

So, them on what basis would you not want your kids to befriend this type of boy? I'm trying to understand...really. If it's not religiously based, what is it? Why do you see it as a negative?

Without having words put in my mouth, it is simply because I do not want that type of influence on my children. The boy made a decision, fine, that decision means that people will look at him in a certain way. I am one of them. I do not find such piercings to be acceptable and would not want my children associating with such individuals.

Yes...he may be a great kid, but that is not the point. I find his choices wrong. There is no hatred here, no mocking, no snide comments about bras or bangs, simply a statement that I do want that mode of dress around my children.

Those who demand acceptance of this boy appear unable to accept my view. Interesting don't you think?

I don't know Hail Mary! Will the 23rd Psalm work instead?

You will have to make an appt with the religious leader of your choosing. I can't make that call. (I'm a practicing heathen.) :001_smile:

Does this work with bikinis? Even if you're not Catholic?

I havn't worn a bikini since I was 3 years old. (not for any religious reason, more because I choose not to frighten small children.) This one is all on YOU! :001_huh:

question for you... what would you do if a close friend (of yours or of your children) - someone you were already on great terms with, trusted, enjoyed spending time with, etc etc etc (you get where i'm taking that) went out and got a body mod/etc that you disagreed with?

pqr, i posted this back a few pages for you ~ thread moves quickly.

may i ask? ^^^^

I love Jesus and am a born again Christian and also home school but honestly am so tired of judgmental, isolationist, legalistic "Christian" that continue to hurt my son. I am so hurt for him and so tired of all of them. He is totally turning his back on Christianity because of these families.

He is a loving, caring, gentle, poetic musical type kids. He loves people but honestly he can't keep "home school" friends because their parent don't approve of him. These aren't little kids but junior and senior kids that can't befriend a fellow 17 yo who is allowed to choose his own music, own hair, and oh gasp he got his tongue pierced. They consider him "evil" a bad influence or whatever.

My son likes the skinny jeans and clean t shirts (no evil) advertise on him. He wears his hair with long bangs. He plays guitar and likes heavy mental but he doesn't play music with bad lyrics or messages.

He actually has made friends with secular home school kids/family but the families live over a hour from us. I think the irony for all the Christan community is my kids feels more welcome and loved by a group of people that don't believe in Jesus and his message. Then I see what we have put with and now I know why the Christan Message is consider hypocrisy by the world

:rant:

:grouphug: I know honey. I know. Doesn't it make you want to scream "I want my loving, caring Jesus back?" I wish more "Christians" would remember Jesus hung out with hookers and thieves. Jesus=love. Period. End of discussion.

BTW, your son sounds like the kind of guy I would L.O.V.E. for my kids to meet. Your son is a true evangelist, a wonderful guy who embodies the true meaning of Christ. I have tatoos, occasionally drink, and sometimes curse. I still love Jesus with all my heart and soul. Jesus came for imperfect sinners such as me. I would love nothing more for other "Christians" to embrace me. but that just isn't happening. Oh well. Jesus still loves me (and your son for that matter), and that is all that really matters.

Way to go Momma for raising an individual, free-thinking, Jesus-loving kid!

There is no hatred here, no mocking, no snide comments about bras or bangs, simply a statement that I do want that mode of dress around my children.

Those who demand acceptance of this boy appear unable to accept my view. Interesting don't you think?

You seem to miss the point. The original thread was not about you. It was about a teenager who IS being hated and mocked, and is having snide comments thrown at him. THAT is what we are unwilling to accept.

It would depend. If I disagreed strongly enough then I would probably lose the friendship.

I place parenting above friendship and if I thought the influence was nagative then yes the friendship would be sacrificed, wouldn't you do the same over an issue that you felt strongly about?

The way we dress, how we decorate our bodies and the music we listen to are all advertisements for who we are. When mixed messages are sent, usually mixed results are received.

From what you have said, your son is a believer and is not just coming to Christ. You are upset with other Christians because they will not look past his outside advertising.

This will not only impact him among Christians, but will also impact him in all other areas of life including jobs. In general people believe you are who you say you are by your advertising, by your actions, and least by your words.

Respectfully, BARF! Jesus ministered to hookers. He didn't care what people looked like.

Without having words put in my mouth, it is simply because I do not want that type of influence on my children. The boy made a decision, fine, that decision means that people will look at him in a certain way. I am one of them. I do not find such piercings to be acceptable and would not want my children associating with such individuals.

Yes...he may be a great kid, but that is not the point. I find his choices wrong. There is no hatred here, no mocking, no snide comments about bras or bangs, simply a statement that I do want that mode of dress around my children.

To the first bolded: Sad, just really sad. And to the second bolded: Yes, that is the point. He is a great kid. And he loves Jesus. That should be all that matters.

I know no amount of posting is going to change your mind about this. As the old saying goes: We will have to agree to disagree.

Here is why people have a problem. You can make whatever decisions you want for your family. However, when you decide that seventeen year old young adults cannot associate with Suzy because she has purple hair or Fred because he has a tongue ring or the Jones family because they listen to rock music, then you are deciding what is right for other people based on extremely limited and shallow criteria. Sure, it's your right to make those determinations. It's my right to determine that you're shallow as a result. It just works both ways, that's all.

I've experienced this myself over the years and I have to say:

Be the difference!

Be what you want to see.

Give the love you want to receive... to all people...

I used to sit and fuss over this issue... how some women who wore dresses only and no make up would shun me in public... how some homeschooling "friends" weren't friends any longer when my children had to public school... how we were shunned by our older children's choices... etc.

We will always see this because on this planet we will always have sin.

Show the love. Be the one who stops judging. Give the benefit of the doubt. Accept those you would be inclined to turn from. Jesus did.

And when you face the judgment, learn to let it go... for yourself. Forgive the others. One day it does circle around. Even the "holier than thou" folks learn life's lessons. In the meantime, seek God first. Fill your heart with Him. He is to be our focus. Then let him use you. Perhaps your family will be the one that shines the light to others who would not see it from anyone else.

I now love you!!! :iagree: Wonderful message!

Yes...he may be a great kid, but that is not the point. I find his choices wrong.

Way to latch onto the important things.

Possibility of great kid vs. wrong "choices" with regard to a hole in his head.

Wrong choices? Wrong?

Those "wrong choices" do not convey any accurate information about anything I'd deem important for my kids, with the possible exception of being comfortable not making cookie cutter choices.

Is anyone else thinking of
now or is it just me?

:hurray:

We watched this with kids a while ago. I hadn't realized how much great talking was in this movie. As a kid, I just loved the dancing and the fun. As a parent, there is so much more.

Definitely a message of suspending judgement and developing relationships. What a great idea! I think most of the New Testament backs up that concept.

It would depend. If I disagreed strongly enough then I would probably lose the friendship.

I place parenting above friendship and if I thought the influence was nagative then yes the friendship would be sacrificed, wouldn't you do the same over an issue that you felt strongly about?

Things like racism? yes, a friendship ends over it. Homophobia? Absolutey. Cut 'em loose. Classism? Goodbye. But, appearance? No. Not even a little bit.

I find this sort of an ironic statement from someone who doesn't have an avatar. Is that because you'd prefer us to know you from your words and not base our opinions on your appearance?

I haven't read the responses, but it seems to me that you have judged these Christians as being non-loving and the secular kids as being loving when in fact they probably accept him because they find they have more in common with him rather than some ability to practice great acts of charity. And if you do think that is the case, that great acts of charity are required, your son needs to rethink his life choices. A few of my kids have been accepted and some have been rejected. It's life and my kid's problem and mine by association. We can't assume to know why rejection occurs unless we're privy to all of the inner workings of the mind of him who did the rejecting and likewise he can't necessarily understand our child since he doesn't know the workings of his mind. So who is judging?

I place parenting above friendship and if I thought the influence was negative then yes the friendship would be sacrificed, wouldn't you do the same over an issue that you felt strongly about?

thanks for answering ~ and actually, i can understand that because if i *did* believe that an influence on my kids was a truly a threat...i would take action. (what that would be - would depend on the situation)

my idea of a negative influence is different than yours though, as evidenced here...but thanks for addressing the question. appreciated.

I get what you are saying...and you do have that right. I think you and these other moms are going to have to accept the consequences of your surface judgements. Unfortunately, your children will miss out on relationships with some amazing people, your family *may* carry the label of "judgemental christians who drive people away from the church."

I really do not say that meanly, although it really comes across that way. But, just as you judge others, so you will be judged...I think that's how the verse goes.

Does that make sense?

Honestly, you would give up a strong life-long friendship with someone you love if they got a tongue piercing???? Really? That I will never understand. Never. People are more important than that. If a dear friend of mine chose to become a violent alcoholic, and would not accept my love and help, then yes, I agree that relationship would probably have to be severed. But a body piercing, a tattoo, long hair, clothing style? No way.

Things like racism? yes, a friendship ends over it. Homophobia? Absolutey. Cut 'em loose. Classism? Goodbye. But, appearance? No. Not even a little bit.

Well I will not argue about your criteria but find it odd that you do not accept that others may also have additional things that they find unacceptable.

Honestly, you would give up a strong life-long friendship with someone you love if they got a tongue piercing???? Really? That I will never understand. Never. People are more important than that. If a dear friend of mine chose to become a violent alcoholic, and would not accept my love and help, then yes, I agree that relationship would probably have to be severed. But a body piercing, a tattoo, long hair, clothing style? No way.

:iagree:

I get what you are saying...and you do have that right. I think you and these other moms are going to have to accept the consequences of your surface judgements. Unfortunately, your children will miss out on relationships with some amazing people, your family *may* carry the label of "judgemental christians who drive people away from the church."

I really do not say that meanly, although it really comes across that way. But, just as you judge others, so you will be judged...I think that's how the verse goes.

Does that make sense?

FWIW, my church sings this song every week. I've never heard the pastor complain about anyone's hair. Of course, his daughter is named after James Taylor...soo....*shrug* ;)

Um....wow. I'm pretty sure that Christ would befriend this young man, go to his house and have dinner with him. I believe He pointed out this type of hypocrisy and judgemental behavior to the Pharisees as being wrong and something we are not to engage in as Christians.

To the OP....I'm so sorry your son has to put up with such shallow and shameful behavior in others. That's wrong and it shouldn't happen. Best wishes to him for finding his own way along the path of faith with those who are not so harsh and un-Christlike. They are there, but it may take him some time to find those who are pure in heart and demonstrate the true love of Christ in their lives.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Yay! From the (gasp!!!!!) LDS Church member! To think tha the LDS (extreme sarcasm) Church could even know the heart of Christ.