Menu

CNN this morning on homeschooling

Did anyone else see CNN's report on homeschooling this morning? The report itself wasn't so bad, but the discussion afterward by the two CNN reporters just about made me pitch the TV out the window. According to them, none of us are real teachers or scholars nor are we capable of teaching subjects like physics and calculus. Really?

One of the reporters called Harvard and was amazed to find that homeschoolers are actually accepted at schools like Harvard and Loyola.

I'm so tired of the media portraying homeschoolers as uneducated weirdos. Why can't they EVER report on homeschoolers without having to get in a dig somehow?

:smash:

I wish I would have caught the report. Sometimes people make me :glare:.

I was reading an article today on Lyme disease syndrome and it said "due to cognitive issues children with chronic Lyme disease can lose their childhood by being homeschooled." I was quite taken aback by this sentence and actually made DH come over and read it to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting.

Edited by mmasmommy

One of the reporters called Harvard and was amazed to find that homeschoolers are actually accepted at schools like Harvard and Loyola.

At least they made the effort to find out. That's a start to chipping away the wall of ignorance.

It wasn't long ago when someone told me they weren't sure how more selective schools would look upon homeschooling... on College Confidential! (which is a board dedicated to getting into college, but mainly frequented by public schooled students, parents, and the like) Fortunately, admissions reps know their stuff better than many ps people do.

I'm so tired of the media portraying homeschoolers as uneducated weirdos. Why can't they EVER report on homeschoolers without having to get in a dig somehow?

:smash:

They report on homeschooling (or anything for that matter) the way they do, because it makes for a better story (according to their criteria) and more "mass appeal" than if they reported on it positively. Talking about "uneducated weirdos" probably gets better ratings than showcasing "outstanding homeschooled students who make it into Harvard." :glare:

Just one of the many reasons I don't tune in to the mainstream media anymore...

I live in SC, where we are definitely, as a state, known for our independence :) I run into lots of people who hs and few who (at least openly) think it's bizarre. That's different in other places apparently

Here in Southwest VA and Northeast TN, when you tell people you home school they reply, "That's great!" Even people who send their kids to public schools respond like that. It is truly a great place to be.

I thought it did a good job of portraying the opposite of weirdos actually for a change. And letting people know anyone can do it. Even if they do feel they need outside resources. But I'm biased since I don't feel like a scholar, just a regular mom wanting my kids to have a better education than I got.

Jess in OK

I have to admit I rarely ever get a negative comment. Most people do say they could never do it (which in itself is annoying) but they always say that it's great. It might be because I am in California and our schools rate SO poorly.

At my kids eye Dr. appointment we saw a new Dr (whom I will now go to forever!) and he spent a long time talking to my kids and impressing on them how awesome we are for homeschooling and how they should thank us for caring so much about their education. I was gobsmacked.

I was reading an article today on Lyme disease syndrome and it said "due to cognitive issues children with chronic Lyme disease can lose their childhood by being homeschooled." I was quite taken aback by this sentence and actually made DH come over and read it to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting.

What does that mean? It doesn't even make sense.

Did anyone else see CNN's report on homeschooling this morning? The report itself wasn't so bad, but the discussion afterward by the two CNN reporters just about made me pitch the TV out the window. According to them, none of us are real teachers or scholars nor are we capable of teaching subjects like physics and calculus. Really?

Oh well, in Detroit, they decided they needed to train community members to teach students reading, so being an outsider might be a good thing.

That being said, some homeschooling parents actually are a) scientists (Margaret Atwood's father for example) or accredited teachers.

I've concluded we need an entirely new institution for children, to meet their needs. Schools are brought in to help with every issue of concern to children's welfare (physical health, mental health, screenings for vision and hearing, speech therapy, nutrition / meals, checks for abuse), and the academics are being sidelined. If there were a separate place where children could get access to community resources -- including homeschooled children -- it might help.

< I have to admit I rarely ever get a negative comment. Most people do say they could never do it (which in itself is annoying) but they always say that it's great. It might be because I am in California and our schools rate SO poorly. >

Laissez Faire - I hate when people say that too because if someone really wants to do it they can! I wish they'd just say they didn't want to.

We get alot of that too....I mean for the most part from "normal everyday people" I think it's just that as with anything out of the norma they are leary of it or afraid of it.....There has been alot of articles in newspapers around my state lately-thankfully the last one I read they actually interviewed homeschool parents and got the answers from them-instead of just being totally against it in their reporting. I didn't see the tv article either-wish I'd seen it.......

Ok, so the chronic Lyme diseases is less of a problem than the homeschooling??? LOL... Need that smiley banging its head against a wall...

smiley-bangheadonwall.gif

< I have to admit I rarely ever get a negative comment. Most people do say they could never do it (which in itself is annoying) but they always say that it's great. It might be because I am in California and our schools rate SO poorly. >

Laissez Faire - I hate when people say that too because if someone really wants to do it they can! I wish they'd just say they didn't want to.

I think more people could homeschool if they tried but there are some who shouldn't. I had a friend years ago who said to me that she wished she could homeschool but she could not. The thing with her was that she had chronic pain in her back due to surgery for scoliosis and the surgery did not go well. She ended up flat on her back for a long time. Her children were attending the school at church.

Due to all of her physical and emotional suffering she just did not have the energy to be homeschooling. I told her that if the Lord wanted her to homeschool He would let her know. She did not feel at all that she was being called by the Lord to homeschool. Her children were doing fine at the small christian school they attended. There were a lot of very wonderful loving people at that school. Sadly, my friend had breast cancer that later metastasized to bone cancer and she died while her girls were still young.

Homeschooling is not for everyone.

They hate homeschoolers because we are outside of their control.

That is what it's all about... wanting our children to be indoctrinated in THEIR beliefs, rather than in ours.

There is a tendency, I think, for people in general to want others to do things the same way they do them. Some people just cannot stand for others to be different. It makes them feel challenged in some way.

They hate homeschoolers because we are outside of their control.

That is what it's all about... wanting our children to be indoctrinated in THEIR beliefs, rather than in ours.

Yes, I agree with this to an extent. But I certainly do not believe that everyone who disagrees with homeschooling is motivated by hate. Some people just need to hear more about it and understand how it can be done and what the results have been. The idea of it needs to be analyzed and processed. You can't really expect everyone to be excited and agree with something they know nothing about.

I think it is unnecessary and unhealthy to promote an us against them mentality. Really, all people that do not homeschool do not hate us. :001_huh::001_smile:

However, it is annoying for people to express strong opinions about homeschooling in the media when those opinions are based on just an attitude and they are ignorant of the subject. :tongue_smilie:

I think it's more "you don't know what you like, you like what you know" (to quote my psychology of music professor out of context). Everyone who has been through a traditional school knows what it's like. And what's more, unless they are willing to label THEMSELVES as unsuccessful, they can't admit that it wasn't effective. So, they see homeschooling both as being different, and as being threatening. Not because they're worried about indoctrination, but because it threatens their views of themselves, or of their own children. If traditional schools are NOT the best way of educating children, that means that they, themselves were poorly educated and/or that their children are being poorly educated in comparison.

I think one reason why I get fewer negative comments than even others in my area have reported is that my DD is one of those kids who sticks out as being "different" if you even spend time an elevator ride with her. So when people find out she's homeschooled, it justifies their reason for not homeschooling because, after all, MY kid isn't like that.

Since charter schools are all the rage, can't we just call homeschooling an exclusive charter school? (Reminds me of the "school name" of The Dan Riley School for a Girl, in which the dad basically has his daughter watch documentaries all day long for a year.) Too bad it wouldn't come with the other latest trend item, which would be parental accountability -- no tenure for you, Mom! ;)

I think the reason the media portrays homeschooling as so awful is that the media is in the govt.'s pocket and the govt. hates anything they can't control. So, as homeschoolers we might as well give up on trying to prove ourselves. No matter how much we achieve, we will continue to be maligned because in essence, we are thumbing our noses at the govt. and exerting our independence. Where I live in Calif. is considered the "Bible Belt" of California because it's pretty conservative and I have no problem saying I homeschool. In fact, a lot of our social workers (we're a foster/adopt family with a Christian foster care service) say they think that foster children should be homeschooled (though that would never fly) simply because the child would get that individualized attention and it would encourage bonding with the foster parent.

Anytime I run into a negative attitude on homeschooling, I like to explain that academically our schools are failing (and isn't that in the media just about every day, eh?) and that we also homeschool to hopefully avoid losing any of our children to drug and alcohol addiction before they are truly wise enough to understand how their choices affect their future. Unfortunately I've heard many stories of children in high school that make the wrong choices and long after graduation they are still fighting to get their children on the right foot again.

It isn't just the academics, it's the atmosphere in schools. There are bullying issues, sexual misconduct, substance abuse. Why on earth are any parents putting their children in these situations? That's the question I ask myself every day.

Perry, in case the 'nm' was about my statement, I should've added to that because not every public school is filled with the awful social aspects. My kids have gone to some good public schools. So, the coda to that statement should've been 'when these things are rampant in your child's school...' rather than painting the entire public school system with that brush. :/

If it were just academics where we live, we could tutor them through the gaps. But there are just too many high-risk social issues going on in the local schools here for us to take that leap.